Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

16 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Yeah, Michkov is definitely going to need a high-skilled partner on that top line to truly reach his potential...maybe they'll suck enough this season to get that guy in 2025 or Jett can turn into that guy with his speed. 

yeah but Jett is what? 3 years away at least? Right when Matvei's entry level contract expires (!!!)

So we can't escape bad luck in some form or another...my guess is that they perhaps envisioned a line of Foerster, Cutter, Mitchov...as the first line (TK, Coots, Brink as 2nd?) and that plan disintegrated... as a result the plan trajectory was altered...imagine if Cutter was still on the team...

my guess is that they draft D (possibly even Buium) @ #12 instead of Jett...and now that Drysdale's status is uncertain, the plan gets muddled even more...

Sounds like Danny did not get itchy feet in the 2024 draft and that is a good thing as most people said that 2024 was a weaker draft in comparison to 2025, ergo it makes sense that the board (pretty much) unfolded as it did..since the talent was concentrated within the top 10....

looking at last years draft, there were so many talented prospects,  and that lends itself more to unanticipated moves (such as Matvei falling to #7), 

Add to that, I have to wonder if Danny MAY have hinted at a possible tank , when he stated that he expects the team to take a step backwards this season....given that they missed the playoffs in the last 5 games of the season (essentially) , I would have expected him to make a more optimistic statement, especially since almost all the same players will be returning....but that might be me reading into it too much

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Yeah, Michkov is definitely going to need a high-skilled partner on that top line to truly reach his potential...maybe they'll suck enough this season to get that guy in 2025 or Jett can turn into that guy with his speed. 

I'm really intrigued by the top Russian center in the 2025 draft Ivan Ryabkin. He broke Michkovs record by two points in 12 games fewer (Russian junior league). Pronman's report on him is he is a highly skilled cerebral playmaker (sounds like a Datsyuk stylistic type, my comparison), who excels at the two way game. Could be the perfect partner to Michkov for the next 10 years. But yeah, Michkov would have to wait for 2-3 years before he comes over, maybe more depending on his contract and so forth. But in theory, he would be a nice fit.

Edited by ctid

14 hours ago, flyerdog said:

yeah but Jett is what? 3 years away at least? Right when Matvei's entry level contract expires (!!!)

agree, two if they're really lucky....but no one is arriving any faster unless we're talking FA.   Michkov coming over so much sooner than expected is great but really turns a rebuild on it's side. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 5:35 AM, flyercanuck said:

Philly, nor anyone else, can build a team the way Vegas did. Vegas can never build a team the way they did again. So they really aren't a very good example (not sure how many times I've said this and yet you keep using them as an example, and keep mentioning they don't have franchise type players when they have Eichel and Pietrangelo both 2nd and 4th overall draft picks)

Florida has a franchise player in Barkov...actually they have 1st overall Ekblad, 2-2nd overalls in Barkov and Reinhart, a 4th overall in Bennett, so thanks for proving my point. Both those teams would still be looking for their 1st cup without those players. Again, thanks for proving my point. And next time you want to bring up Florida and Vegas, remember, they have several players that were taken 1st and 2nd overall on their rosters, so thanks for proving my point. 

Philly has already wasted 50 years NOT chasing a franchise type player, and have won zero cups in that span. Thanks for proving my point. We made the playoffs with Chuck Fletcher (worst GM ever....who you thought was doing a good job!!!proving that it really isn't anything to hang your hat on. I'd rather have Celebrini on my roster right now than yet another 4 or 5 game memory of a beatdown. Thanks, yet again, for proving my point.

if we tanked and didnt get celebrinti regardless of our worse record  you are going to blame the managemant because you hate them, if we tanked and get nothing for 25 years, you are going to hate them.

no, it's not that we cant be built like florida and vegas, you dont want to be built like them, you just want to tank and build method because you dont want to make the playoffs or win the stanley cup because after 2010 finals you have given up on this team and now have an agenda against them, you know for a fact it doesnt work, you prove nothing that it does work all because it's barcov,, crosby etc and not the rest of the team. you seriously saying all the players on the cup winning teams accept the top 5 players are garbage.

Edited by tucson83

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

if we tanked and didnt get celebrinti regardless of our worse record  you are going to blame the managemant because you hate them, if we tanked and get nothing for 25 years, you are going to hate them.

no, it's not that we cant be built like florida and vegas, you dont want to be built like them, you just want to tank and build method because you dont want to make the playoffs or win the stanley cup because after 2010 finals you have given up on this team and now have an agenda against them, you know for a fact it doesnt work, you prove nothing that it does work all because it's barcov,, crosby etc and not the rest of the team. you seriously saying all the players on the cup winning teams accept the top 5 players are garbage.

We've already got nothing for 25 years...we're already double nothing. And you're still hanging your hat on the ol' boys hiring ol' boys and never rebuilding, just adding mid - round draft picks to a middling team, throwing way too much money at over the hill free agents, then leaving the mess for the next ol' boy to clean up. The only thing that stopped Briere from likely doing that was we were already at the cap limit...with a mediocre team. 

And thinking this time it's really going to work. And I'm just about positive it won't...and theres decades of Flyer history backing that up.

What are you so scared about trying it a different way? It might not work? Of course it might not. But they've pretty much proven the fact this way doesn't work. So let's keep doing that? 🤡

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We've already got nothing for 25 years...we're already double nothing. And you're still hanging your hat on the ol' boys hiring ol' boys and never rebuilding, just adding mid - round draft picks to a middling team, throwing way too much money at over the hill free agents, then leaving the mess for the next ol' boy to clean up. The only thing that stopped Briere from likely doing that was we were already at the cap limit...with a mediocre team. 

And thinking this time it's really going to work. And I'm just about positive it won't...and theres decades of Flyer history backing that up.

What are you so scared about trying it a different way? It might not work? Of course it might not. But they've pretty much proven the fact this way doesn't work. So let's keep doing that? 🤡

When you're done here, would you have some time and would you mind helping me by teaching my dog solid geometry?  I promise, it will be easier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

You weren't talking to me, but I'll offer my two cents. They haven't tried to tank. They have been a middling franchise, because they've always picked in the middle, and have had no caproom. Tortorella got blood from a stone this year. I doubt he'll be able to do so, again, although he's a good coach. I do hate management. I disliked Snider for the way he ran the team before he passed away, and I GREATLY dislike his "sons", for what they've done to franchise. They have given us little excitement or juice, meanwhile the suit and nitwits keep buying up tickets for drech, year after year. The Flyers can't get out of their own way. I'm not even sure that if Celebrini was there, that the cough..cough..braintrust wouldn't have traded down or just not have picked him. It's why I only take them slightly seriously, anymore. Their confusion at the draft, spoke volumes too. New Error Of Orange. They won't tank and won't pay players properly. They've gone completely corporate, and right at the top of their list of hierarchal importance, is to satisfy their alumni. Fans who want them to win a Cup, don't crack their top 50, in importance.

• Good Post 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

. I'm not even sure that if Celebrini was there, that the cough..cough..braintrust wouldn't have traded down or just not have picked him.

Or, the always popular Flyers go to: pick him but destroy his development because a) his style doesn't match our lack of style or 2) our medical team's impotence physically destroying him before he even played 5 games on our 4th line.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

5 hours ago, ctid said:

I'm really intrigued by the top Russian center in the 2025 draft Ivan Ryabkin. He broke Michkovs record by two points in 12 games fewer (Russian junior league).

Remember Matvei though was 15 to start that season MM was a full year younger too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Their confusion at the draft, spoke volumes too. New Error Of Orange. 

That was a complete embarrassment to this franchise…… even the announcers were left speechless.

• Uggh... 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, flyerdog said:

Don't worry, Laughton is gonna fill in for three years. 

• Uggh... 2

39 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Don't worry, Laughton is gonna fill in for three years. 

Plus Stamkos will be available after his contract with Nashville is up. That's prime Flyer target age!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

When you're done here, would you have some time and would you mind helping me by teaching my dog solid geometry?  I promise, it will be easier.

Aarff squared + Bark squared = Cat squared  🤓

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Plus Stamkos will be available after his contract with Nashville is up. That's prime Flyer target age!

Stamkos will still be too good. No..what they'll do, is talk Voracek out of retirement and sign him to a seven year deal, with a NMC clause attached.

#ObeyYourMaster 🤘

• Uggh... 1

Posted (edited)

Well as far as resources can't say the Flyer haven't spent em.

Foerster 23 OA Coots 8 OA Konecny 24 OA

Tippett 10 OA Frost 27 OA Michkov 7 OA

Farabee 14 OA Laugton 20 OA Brink 34 OA

Cates 137 OA Poehling 25 OA Hathaway UDFA 

That is 8 first round first round pick with the top 4 lines.

York 14 OA Sanheim 17 OA

Seeler 131 OA Drysdale 6 OA

Zamula UDFA Risto 8 OA

4 more firsts.

Ersson 143 OA

Fedotov 188 OA

How it looks like it is going to shape up.

:smileyandcomputer: 

Edited by OccamsRazor
highlight

42 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Bravo! LOL  Well played my friend ... well played!

Post of the day!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

I'm happy you got that squared away. #DadJoke

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

York 14 OA Sanheim 17 OA

Zamula UDFA Risto 8 OA

4 more firsts.

Ersson 143 OA

Fedotov 188 OA

Pretty much proves...you can draft in the 1st round all you want, if you don't get a few of those top picks you're not going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

York 14 OA Sanheim 17 OA

Zamula UDFA Risto 8 OA

4 more firsts.

Ersson 143 OA

Fedotov 188 OA

It's actually nine first round picks in the forwards. You're missing Laughton.

• Good Post 1

Well as of now the Flyers roster looks like it is already set now unless they have some PTO guys.

nVHcjZOD.png.39c58f16f09ef68a47d3d054f8a3c733.png

All they have to do now is wait for the puck to drop. I'm sure they are going to wait on TK.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:01 PM, Cheesesteak said:

If he is as good as advertised, he will be able to do it regardless of linemates.

Ovechkin scored 106 points his first year in the league with Jeff Halpern as his center and Dainius Zubrus as his winger.

His second year he scored 92 points and the highest scoring center on the team had 26 points lol. Semin did arrive that year though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I saw no Michkov. But who is Noah Powell? He looked good in the glimpses I saw

An older undrafted kid who went undrafted last year. He is hearing impaired.

He will be attending Ohio State....another shot in the dark pretty much he's already 19.