Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

@OccamsRazor @RonJeremy

Broken back and all, Sean Couturier is better at hockey than Morgan Frost.

Yesterday, today and probably tomorrow. 

The key for making a successful Michkov, Couturier pair will be who is on the left?

Farabee sounds good to me, provided he's still on the team.  I think that is a line that has the puck. All. The. Time.

I think putting Michkov with 14 won't hurt anyone's game.

Frost is fine, and whatever, he actually drove play pretty well last season. He is a capable NHL player.

He isn't blowing anyone away with any aspect of his game.

He's going to have to show the **** out if he wants to skate a regular shift with Michkov. 

• Like 3

After reading about the signings in the last few days, I am glad Danny feels hamstrung.  BTW, Toronto signed Anthony Stolarz to a 2-year deal with AAV of $2.5 million.  Granted, he has shown himself to be a competent super-sub.  But that seems a bit high.  It also shows that some of our fellow posters who thought they could sign him as an experienced backup for a million and change misread the market.  That said, he and Bobo are ongoing reminders of how lousy a job we've done nurturing goalies.  I hope that page is turned. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor @RonJeremy

The key for making a successful Michkov, Couturier pair will be who is on the left?

Farabee sounds good to me, provided he's still on the team.  I think that is a line that has the puck. All. The. Time.

Frost is fine, and whatever, he actually drove play pretty well last season. He is a capable NHL player.

He's going to have to show the **** out if he wants to skate a regular shift with Michkov. 

Of course Coots is better at hockey results wise, but he's not a better skater, stickhandler or creative playmaker. I want someone on the line who can actually skate and who plays a more creative style. It would be nice for the Flyers to have a finesse line instead of their usual dump it in plodding lines of the past. I also thought Michkov might help Frost take it to the next level. I thought about Farabee on the left, but I chose Foerester because of his shot and size since Michkov and Frost are more playmakers, a pure finisher might be good, Farabee might work too. If Coots makes a miraculous recovery after two years of injuries and mediocrity, and can skate faster than a sloth, then I'm all for it.

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course Coots is better at hockey results wise, but he's not a better skater, stickhandler or creative playmaker. I want someone on the line who can actually skate and who plays a more creative style. It would be nice for the Flyers to have a finesse line instead of their usual dump it in plodding lines of the past. I also thought Michkov might help Frost take it to the next level. I thought about Farabee on the left, but I chose Foerester because of his shot and size since Michkov and Frost are more playmakers, a pure finisher might be good, Farabee might work too. If Coots makes a miraculous recovery after two years of injuries and mediocrity, and can skate faster than a sloth, then I'm all for it.

Couturier - is still very effective, even if his legs aren't great. His linemates all consistently create more with him than away from him despite getting more minutes against the toughest comp available and the most defensive zone starts. With Michkov being under-sized, it would offer some more physical cover on the line.

Frost - his linemates a created a bit more, but I think this should be expected, because the workload was completely different. Torts gave Frost the easiest minutes: sheltered him as much as possible against difficult opposition, and he had the most offensive zone starts of all Flyers centres, and it wasn't close.

In the long run, I think that Couturier would teach Michkov more about how to play hockey the right way, but playing with Frost (at least for now) would give him the easier matchups. Both potential situations have their merits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

From outside of the Philly fanzone, he's become kind of what a lot scouts saw: a guy with good wheels who can make a pass.

C'mon JR, just like every team is looking to make the best deal to benefit the Flyers, all of their 27th overall picks are guaranteed to develop as top six players on a championship team because they make a nice pass here and there.

Don't you know how to develop rosters?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jesus, Chandler Stevenson just got a 7 year/$43.75 million deal. They're out to lunch today.

I knew some idiot would make that deal.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Couturier - is still very effective, even if his legs aren't great. His linemates all consistently create more with him than away from him despite getting more minutes against the toughest comp available and the most defensive zone starts. With Michkov being under-sized, it would offer some more physical cover on the line.

Frost - his linemates a created a bit more, but I think this should be expected, because the workload was completely different. Torts gave Frost the easiest minutes: sheltered him as much as possible against difficult opposition, and he had the most offensive zone starts of all Flyers centres, and it wasn't close.

In the long run, I think that Couturier would teach Michkov more about how to play hockey the right way, but playing with Frost (at least for now) would give him the easier matchups. Both potential situations have their merits.

I guess we will see who Michkovs linemates end up being, I am hoping it's with the younger guys so we can have an exciting young line for a change and not constantly juggle the lines. I guess it's all about the chemistry that develops or doesn't. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Coots is most definitely a better stick handler and I absolutely love Frost and his game. Coots can still play. It's not his fault that a Neanderthal head coach thought it was a good idea to run him hard after missing two years because of back surgery. I expect that Couturier will be back to his 70 point play this year now that that first year back from surgery is complete.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Coots is most definitely a better stick handler and I absolutely love Frost and his game. Coots can still play. It's not his fault that a Neanderthal head coach thought it was a good idea to run him hard after missing two years because of back surgery. I expect that Couturier will be back to his 70 point play this year now that that first year back from surgery is complete.

Let's hope so, but back surgery affects your leg strength and Coots was slow as crap before that. Coots has logged alot of tough hockey minutes over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

But that seems a bit high.

Not many Stanley Cup winning goalies on the market and well it is going to cost yah cheaper than the Flyerd backup!

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor @RonJeremy

Don't disagree with this one bit...just wish Couturier could skate just a little  bit faster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I hope you are a psychic  because Coots has had two back surgeries and core/hernia surgery,  he's not exactly a young guy any more. When you are a poor skater to begin with and lose a step it's a real problem. 

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

but he's not a better skater, stickhandler or creative playmaker. I want someone on the line who can actually skate and who plays a more creative style.

The only point you make that is correct in this sentence is when you typed "better skater".

Even then, Couturier does more things at his top speed than Morgan Frost. It's just that #14's top speed isn't so awesome.

We're all entitled to our opinions but there are zero metrics other than the stop watch where Morgan Frost is better than Sean Couturier. 

Your Mileage shouldn't vary because you're a smart cookie. 

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The only point you make that is correct in this sentence is when you typed "better skater".

Even then, Couturier does more things at his top speed than Morgan Frost. It's just that #14's top speed isn't so awesome.

We're all entitled to our opinions but there are zero metrics other than the stop watch where Morgan Frost is better than Sean Couturier. 

Your Mileage shouldn't vary because you're a smart cookie. 

Correction....he used to. He is washed up and broken down and will only diminish further,  especially when Torts over plays him. I'd rather develop a line of young guys who can play together for a few years than have a guy whos on his way out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not many Stanley Cup winning goalies on the market and well it is going to cost yah cheaper than the Flyerd backup!

Occ:

You are right....Onward Stolie.  

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I hope you are a psychic  because Coots has had two back surgeries and core/hernia surgery,  he's not exactly a young guy any more. When you are a poor skater to begin with and lose a step it's a real problem. 

Lol.... Not psychic, but now that they've had a year with Couturier, they can plan his minutes accordingly. There won't be anymore riding Couturier hard. Morgan Frost better be ready because Tortorella is gonna run him hard. He either delivers or gets traded. Those are his only options now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

m honestly not sure why it's talked about so much

I thought we covered this earlier - every team in the league is looking to make a deal to benefit the Flyers.

I mean, the Flyers would have taken two 20+ draft picks next year for a top ten pick this year. It's only logical.

Except it obviously isn't. Because the Flyers would never have done that.

These boards are for people to come on and say what they really wished had happened.

And that's one problem with sports fans - they wish something to happen and are disappointed when it doesn't.

When you stop wishing, you start understanding what it actually takes the build a winner in this league. And it's not "maybe the 25 year old will suddenly be a 1C."

In the last 15 years,  13 franchises have won. And each one of them had at least two top five picks on their roster.

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I thought we covered this earlier - every team in the league is looking to make a deal to benefit the Flyers.

I mean, the Flyers would have taken two 20+ draft picks next year for a top ten pick this year. It's only logical.

Except it obviously isn't. Because the Flyers would never have done that.

These boards are for people to come on and say what they really wished had happened.

And that's one problem with sports fans - they wish something to happen and are disappointed when it doesn't.

When you stop wishing, you start understanding what it actually takes the build a winner in this league. And it's not "maybe the 25 year old will suddenly be a 1C."

In 19 seasons since the lockout 13 franchises have won. And each one of them had at least two top five picks on their roster.

:hocky:

THIS WILL BE THE YEAR!  I BELIEVE IT!

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Lol.... Not psychic, but now that they've had a year with Couturier, they can plan his minutes accordingly. There won't be anymore riding Couturier hard. Morgan Frost better be ready because Tortorella is gonna run him hard. He either delivers or gets traded. Those are his only options now.

Coots hasn't played a full season in five years,he's gonna be 32, he might be OK on the third or fourth line. Frost definitely has to step up and score more and play more consistent hockey,he definitely has the skill.