Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

23 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Again...that's the Flyers front office's fault, that they overpaid him and may be overpaying him AGAIN.

True, but In comparison Frost is a bargain. The team talks about a need for skill, do we have many players with the natural skill level of Frost? Have we seen any Flyers centers score and setup the kind of highlight reel plays that we have seen from Frost. Of course we need more consistency and more output from him this year, but we can say that about the whole team. You can't teach skill, you can only coach and develop the skill and as many of said, that's where the Flyers have failed. 

• Like 1

Danny and the Gang have been honest with us. Dead cap is hurting this year and next.  Let's hope that's the case and in '26-'27 we can make some "real" signings.  Hopefully, we have a good core in place and whoever we sign is a complementary piece rather than an expected miracle worker. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

is the 7th defenseman.

With Torts at the Helm?:hehe:

If you believe that DM i have some prime beach front property in South Dakota you might interested in...

7 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I figured I'd start a new topic about the offseason instead of tying into one of the draft threads. 

As well, numerous players weren't qualified yesterday

(including the WJC four), but there were a few names on the list that I'm intrigued by. Two defensemen and two forwards - Nils Lundqvist and Jake Bean were the defensemen and Maxime Comtois and Alex Nylander were the forwards. I'm guessing they could be had for cheap and would certainly fit into what Briere is trying to do.

You know I'm all for bringing in Bean...pair him up with Bonk & Bump :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Flyers version of The Killer Bs  :DancingGrape:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jesus, Chandler Stevenson just got a 7 year/$43.75 million deal. They're out to lunch today.

Holy crap. They're punch drunk.

• Like 1

My heart just skipped a beat

...I went to SportsSpyder for the Flyers and I was skimming all the headlines and my eye caught this headline  

Sign Sean Walker to 5-Year Deal

before I could get to the beginning, where it stated it was with Carolina Hurricanes,

THAT'S when my heart skipped a beat....it is a Flyers focused page after all.   

WHEW 😓❤️‍🩹

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I wish the NHL could change the draft rules for college players it should be the same as it is for junior Canadian leagues. The college guys not wanting to play for their draft team is starting to occur more often, these shyster agents are gonna ruin everything. Now you have to worry if the guy you sign is gonna wanna play for your team and you are gonna miss out on some good players.

What is this rule you’re talking about?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers seem to be cash strapped, EVERY offseason.

I didn't say that, BC did...but its accurate. 

44 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The rights of an NCAA player. They have a four year window and then they're unrestricted free agents and if they don't like the organization that drafted them, they'll just return to college for the four years and then declare free agency after that.

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The rights of an NCAA player. They have a four year window and then they're unrestricted free agents and if they don't like the organization that drafted them, they'll just return to college for the four years and then declare free agency after that.

Yep, got that.  So, what is the rule for Junior?  They typically only have 4 years of eligibility, right?  Obviously, they don’t have free agency after their eligibility expires.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ctid said:

It's interesting how perception of the same player can be so vastly different. I don't get how you can say he hasn't even proved to be a NHL regular? 

I'm not trying to annoy you or show disrespect. I'm just truly baffled about your statement.

maybe. sorry, but i don't see it from him yet. he's shown flashes of creativity and being dangerous, but I also see him disappear for stretches as well. yes, the coach being a jerk has some to do with it. Overall I think he's an "ok" player on this team where he probably has more opportunities than on a "good" team where he certainly wouldn't be 2nd C—a spot where we can't even agree he fits on THIS team...

maybe ANOTHER season will prove me wrong. still not sure how Hathaway making 2.4M a season for two seasons is such a bad thing compared to whatever Frost makes for another year of him trying to prove he deserves a regular spot on this team going forward. Right now, I don't care much whether Frost is still here 2 years from now or not.

Edited by mkscrewy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The draft rule that F’d the Flyers out of power forward Gauthier ,where we settled for a pencil necked injury prone dman and also allowed the Rangers to get a Norris trophy defenseman for a second round pick from Carolina. Winnipeg has to trade their first rounder McGroarty for the same reason.

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

and also allowed the Rangers to get a Norris trophy defenseman for a second round pick from Carolina.

And that was after using the same rule to force the Flames to trade him to Carolina.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

I don't care much whether Frost is still here 2 years from now or not.

Myself i can see Frost and Matvei having magic on the ice together.

Or maybe i'm just drunk....

4 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

maybe. sorry, but i don't see it from him yet. he's shown flashes of creativity and being dangerous, but I also see him disappear for stretches as well. yes, the coach being a jerk has some to do with it. Overall I think he's an "ok" player on this team where he probably has more opportunities than on a "good" team where he certainly wouldn't be 2nd C—a spot where we can't even agree he fits on THIS team...

maybe ANOTHER season will prove me wrong. still not sure how Hathaway making 2.4M a season for two seasons is such a bad thing compared to whatever Frost makes for another year of him trying to prove he deserves a regular spot on this team going forward. Right now, I don't care much whether Frost is still here 2 years from now or not.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining. 

He is making 2.2 for another season. Big year for him. Hope Torts just lets him fly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FD19372 said:

#Master Of Puppets. Obey Your Master.

Lets hope Danny is not chopping his Breakfast on a mirror!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So what’s different for Junior players?  They can do the same thing, can’t they?  Lindros refused to play for the Junior team that drafted him and then refused to play for the Nordiques when drafted into the NHL.  

what am I missing here?

Posted (edited)

Culture. 

Garnett Hathaway was extended because of the way he approaches the game. He has the respect of his teammates because he works his ass off.

I don't know why we're comparing him to Morgan Frost?

I will say if Morgan Frost were to perform his role as well as Garnett Hathaway performs his, Morgan would be making more dough.

Right now though, after a couple of 3 years in the league no one knows what Morgan's role should be. He's missed opportunities to miss his opportunity.

I hope his game gets to the point he isn't a candidate for DNP-CD. 

Adding, Hathaway will overlap with Matvei for a couple of years now.  I think because this leadership group is emphasizing culture they felt compelled to keep GH around for "reasons ".

Edited by mojo1917

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Myself i can see Frost and Matvei having magic on the ice together.

Or maybe i'm just drunk....

You are right , who else can we put him with, that speedster Coots or that offensive dynamo Laughton? I think Frost, Michkov and Foerster will be a good line, that should also be your top PP line. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know why we're comparing him to Morgan Frost?

I will say if Morgan Frost were to perform his role as well as Garnett Hathaway performs his, Morgan would be making more dough.

That’s what I don’t understand either hahah. A guy like Hathaway signs for 2.4m for 2 years (a pretty decent deal for us and where we are at in the “rebuild”) and someone says, unless I missed some sarcastic context, something like “well there’s our dumb FA signing… Guy makes more than Morgan Frost…” To which I said “how much should a guy like Morgan Frost make?” Anyway…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

You are right , who else can we put him with, that speedster Coots or that offensive dynamo Laughton? I think Frost, Michkov and Foerster will be a good line, that should also be your top PP line. 

It's not about the options.

Frost i think has a lot of untapped skill and with Michkov on the right and maybe Foerster at LW it can be deadly.

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not about the options.

Frost i think has a lot of untapped skill and with Michkov on the right and maybe Foerster at LW it can be deadly.

I think so too, but knowing the Flyers they will put him with Coots and DesLaurier, so he can develop his defensive awareness. 

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1