Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Where would Broberg play? The left side is already loaded and the Flyers aren't playing another defenseman $4+ million dollars to play in a bottom six role. 

Broberg plays RD.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

The question was posed by someone who doesn't like York. Theoretically, such a signing makes York expendable.  I don't agree about York, so don't agree with the rest, but it's a logical progression from the premise. 

I'm good with York. (In case that wasn't clear)

I don't understand the York hate by some. That's a good defensemen who looks like he's going to become great. His calmness is eerily reminiscent of Eric Desjardins, in my mind. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The question was posed by someone who doesn't like York. Theoretically, such a signing makes York expendable.  I don't agree about York, so don't agree with the rest, but it's a logical progression from the premise. 

I'm good with York. (In case that wasn't clear)

The thought of offer sheeting Broberg hadn't even begun to contemplate the merest possibility of crossing Briere's mind because there was no actual way for him to do it.

image.gif

• Good Post 1

14 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The left side is already loaded

There isn't a single position on this team that is "loaded" other than (maybe) RW.

Oh yeah, the front office is loaded with ex-Flyers with no experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

There isn't a single position on this team that is "loaded" other than (maybe) RW.

Oh yeah, the front office is loaded with ex-Flyers with no experience.

I'd drop the "maybe" to a "definitely not".

-I see one guy (Konecny) on the top half of the forward group and in the first two pairs who isn't playing at least a slot above where he would on a better team.

-If a smallish rookie is coming in and is immediately slotted in as the #2, you're not loaded at that position.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-I see one guy (Konecny) on the top half of the forward group and in the first two pairs who isn't playing at least a slot above where he would on a better team.

-If a smallish rookie is coming in and is immediately slotted in as the #2, you're not loaded at that position.

Brrrr....that is some cold water! lol. We're expecting (a.k.a. dreaming) of Tippett and Foerster becoming NHL superstars...well "stars" anyway.

Some of us even still think Joel Farrabee can be a helluva good 2-way player...if Tortorella ever lets him out of the doghouse that is.

And then there's Frost...frankly I don't see it, I never have but he's had spurts of good production. He's got skills but for whatever reason he's been unable to use them consistently and effectively.

So... a little cold water isn't the worst thing for the Flyers these days. They're clearly not loaded at any position and I only hope Briere realizes it.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I’m negative enough as it is, lol!

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2024 at 10:37 AM, flyerdog said:

but then you could also point to the 2011 Bruins..biggest names on those teams were a young Lucic, a rookie Seguin, and a young(ish) Chara and a lot of FA/trade acquisitions, they struck lightning in a bottle much like the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles

2011 Bruins was Tim Thomas on crack. He was amazing. Bergeron and Krejci were a good 1-2 C. They had 6 20 goal guys in the regular season. 

5 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Krejci

Many forget him going down for the series started the cards crumbling on the Flyers come back down 3 games to none. Took the wind out the Bruins sails...IMHO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Many forget him going down for the series started the cards crumbling on the Flyers come back down 3 games to none. Took the wind out the Bruins sails...IMHO.

All the planets aligned for the Flyers that run, except the goaltending dept. Other teams took out top teams, there probably wasn't a better matchup in the Conference finals than Montreal for the Flyers, and then we even got to play a team with lousy goaltending in the final...but ours was worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

All the planets aligned for the Flyers that run, except the goaltending dept. Other teams took out top teams, there probably wasn't a better matchup in the Conference finals than Montreal for the Flyers, and then we even got to play a team with lousy goaltending in the final...but ours was worse.

Yep, everything went right. Got in on the last day of the season in a shootout win. Came back from 3-1 down in game 7 after trailing 3-1 in games in Game 5.

Got all the way to the Stanley Cup Final and... *checks notes* lost.

So, to recap, virtually everything broke in the Flyers' direction (the "except the goaltending" goaltenders were 2.46/.913 in the playoffs - Bobrovsky just put up 2.34/.906) and they still lost.

Let's replicate that.

:hocky:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Yep, everything went right.

Yep also Marc Savard coming back i think to soon was also dealing with concussion issues from a cheap Matt Cooke hit (non suspended blind side hit but which help implement the rule later). Just wasn't right.

He scored the GWer in game 1 vs Flyers  hit took a check from i want to say Harntell in game 2 and i don't think he was ever himself that series thankfully for Philly.

As i say if Savard was healthy (it was found later but lead to him not starting the next season due to lingering issues) been healthy once again Flyers don't win...all this just to point out the other side too we always say well if Emery would have been healthy Flyers win a Cup.

But woulda coulda shoulda didn't. The saddest part i have to look back all the way to this playoff series run to the last time i had the most fun watching my Flyers.

That is truly truly depressing....all those breaks still the best hockey i've seen in way over a decade.

GUEST_ba79e5e7-577e-4fc1-b150-5d304be0d81f.jpg.16483761a06cce7fc8d507d680a2bc72.jpg

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

all this just to point out the other side too we always say well if Emery would have been healthy Flyers win a Cup.

Yeah, those straws are definitely within reach :D

Emery is a career 2.64/.902 in the playoffs, was 3.19/.897 the year after and 3.49/.888 playing for the Flyers in 2014.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The saddest part i have to look back all the way to this playoff series run to the last time i had the most fun watching my Flyers.

And this is a good point. It was actually fun to be a part of. They had really built something and were moving in the right direction. Then they won the trades and set themselves up for the unprecedented run over the next decade.

You don't have to "win" to have fun watching the team. They can be competitive - as the Flyers were for almost all of their 1975-2010 run - and fun to watch even if they don't win.

Watching a perpetual middling, bubble playoff team is not fun.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Watching a perpetual middling, bubble playoff team is not fun.

And here we are again, hoping that maybe, the next ex-Flyer GM figures out you need top end talent to win.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Then they won the trades and set themselves up for the unprecedented run over the next decade.

This and losing Pronger sent them down a downward spiral they are still trying to overcome from to this day...true story.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This and losing Pronger sent them down a downward spiral they are still trying to overcome from to this day...true story.

Maybe "building" everything around the 35-year-old defenceman with 1,000,000 miles on the tires wasn't the best decision?

🤔

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They've become the Southern Leafs... :hehe:

They WISH they were the Southern Leafs. As much as I criticize the Leafs, at least they make they make the playoffs, annually.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

31 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They WISH they were the Southern Leafs. As much as I criticize the Leafs, at least they make they make the playoffs, annually.

Philly is the Ballard era Leafs. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Maybe "building" everything around the 35-year-old defenceman with 1,000,000 miles on the tires wasn't the best decision?

🤔

Well it was certainly exacerbated by the trading of the literal backbones of your offense.

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

This IS true.