Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

with the way they're giving Michkov the royal treatment I suspect they know they screwed Kosolov, neglecting him to the point where he decided "fk this I'm going home." If it's true - and it probably is - I can't really blame him.

• Like 1

Kolosov is the new Ustimenko. They took Ustimenko in the 3rd in 2017.

Ustimenko put up 2.61/.910 in the KHL in 22-23. Kolosov was 2.55/.912 that same year.

Apparently neither of them can handle North American hockey.

:hocky:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Kolosov is the new Ustimenko. They took Ustimenko in the 3rd in 2017.

Ustimenko put up 2.61/.910 in the KHL in 22-23. Kolosov was 2.55/.912 that same year.

Apparently neither of them can handle North American hockey.

Born to be a Flyer then? 😇

• Uggh... 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ustimenko. They another goaltender this clueless franchise ruined.

Ustimenko is now in the VHL, the Russian AHL. Playing about 10 games a year.

It's honestly possible he just wasn't very good. His AHL numbers are 3+/~.895. Then he went back to Russia and put up pretty much the same numbers as Kolosov did.

Last third rounder of any consequence for the Flyers was Gotstobethere. Then you go back to 2001 for...

Patrick Sharp. Who they dealt for *checks notes* Eric Meloche (13 Flyers games (1g2a) and then left for Germany).

Almost 25 years. Two third rounders panned out - and only one here, who they then dealt for *checks notes* nothing.

Part of that is dealing 3rds like candy on Halloween, but also speaks to picking well and the fact that they dealt both speaks to your point about developing players...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Patrick Sharp. Who they dealt for *checks notes* Eric Meloche (13 Flyers games (1g2a) and then left for Germany).

I'll never get over this one.  Ticked at the time.  I remember Gummy liked it, though.

• Haha 4

On 7/31/2024 at 12:02 PM, flyercanuck said:

We don't know the exact reasons why this all went bad,

I love how “we never know” exactly what happened all the time, but that never stops us from concluding what really took place

*not specifically directed as a shot at you FC

Edited by CoachX
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, CoachX said:

I love how “we never know” exactly what happened all the time, but that never stops us from concluding what really took place

I love the internet for that.

• Like 1

One thing for sure is the organization doesn't know how to develop talent.

The proof besides their record is the fact that they always had to pay to acquire other team's talent because they find their own and devlop it.

Always hit and miss.

Fast forward to today and nothing has changed. So ol farce.

Any ways on the Lake today back to having fun....

On 8/2/2024 at 12:03 AM, CoachX said:

Fair enough...but what we do know is the Flyers are very good at NOT being very good.

I'm sure ONE OF THESE DAYS, an ex-Flyer will actually make a great GM. A thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm sure ONE OF THESE DAYS, an ex-Flyer will actually make a great GM.

…. And win a cup(s) for another team

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 3:35 PM, flyercanuck said:

Flyers are very good at NOT being very good.

If they can fix this issue...IF...then they should be competing hard for a playoff spot...

yost2-1-2158607-1722948897978.thumb.jpg.86507d4859770c21ea5bdf4b221c517d.jpg

If not then i hope they can be active with any cap space they have and make trades to modify the roster even more while sliding into the top 5 of the draft.

But we know they won't suck bad enough to get that far down. Guess we'll wait and see...

:flyer:

On 8/6/2024 at 12:55 PM, OccamsRazor said:

If they can fix this issue...IF...then they should be competing hard for a playoff spot...

yost2-1-2158607-1722948897978.thumb.jpg.86507d4859770c21ea5bdf4b221c517d.jpg

If not then i hope they can be active with any cap space they have and make trades to modify the roster even more while sliding into the top 5 of the draft.

But we know they won't suck bad enough to get that far down. Guess we'll wait and see...

:flyer:

Lotta red at the bottom...REDRUM ...

I can't shake the feeling that Flyers brass are going to trade for Ekblad (the trade up splash they wished they made in 2014 when philly hosted the draft) at some point next season and sign him to an 8 year too much money contract. No sources, just my panic and insecurities running amok during the dog days of summer...

1 hour ago, ctid said:

I can't shake the feeling that Flyers brass are going to trade for Ekblad (the trade up splash they wished they made in 2014 when philly hosted the draft) at some point next season and sign him to an 8 year too much money contract. No sources, just my panic and insecurities running amok during the dog days of summer...

wow that would be 4 years too late.

I don't know if I think, they think he's that guy.

He was mostly good last season. He wasn't the ice time leader on that 'cats team.  

To be clear I'd love for him to have been a Flyer but he hasn't Lidstrom-ed or Hedman-ed and I don't think he'll age like either of those guys.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 11:29 AM, mojo1917 said:

wow that would be 4 years too late.

I don't know if I think, they think he's that guy.

He was mostly good last season. He wasn't the ice time leader on that 'cats team.  

To be clear I'd love for him to have been a Flyer but he hasn't Lidstrom-ed or Hedman-ed and I don't think he'll age like either of those guys.

Lidstrom is one of the very few greatest defensemen ever... Hedman is terrific and tracking to a Hall of Fame career, and there's still a gulf between he and Lidstrom. Ekblad? He's really good, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Hedman, let alone Lidstrom.

Of the 10 most statistically similar players to these guys, Lidstrom's group is 10 HOFers, Hedman's is 7 (Josi will go in when he's done) and Ekblad has three. To put a fine point on it, even his three players are a different group: Marcel Pronovost, Lionel Conacher, and Pierre Pilote. They were all fine players, but it's not the Orr, Bourque, Coffey group.

I feel it fair to point out that Lionel Conacher is one of the great athletes in Canada's history. He was a Stanley Cup champion, a Grey Cup champion, a great rugby player and lacrosse player. He won the Canadian amateur light-heavyweight boxing title, in a bid to make the Olympic team, he won the Ontario lightweight freestyle wrestling, and even spent time as a pro wrestler in the off-season, where he could easily make more money than playing hockey. He was such a big deal that the award for Canadian Athlete of the Year is given in his honour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Conacher_Award

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Passing thought...why didn't Danny boy offer sheet Broberg??...would have made a nice addition. 

You need cap space to make offer sheets...

image.png

This is where carrying $11M in dead cap space can bite you in a "rebuild".

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

59 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Where would Broberg play? The left side is already loaded and the Flyers aren't playing another defenseman $4+ million dollars to play in a bottom six role. 

The question was posed by someone who doesn't like York. Theoretically, such a signing makes York expendable.  I don't agree about York, so don't agree with the rest, but it's a logical progression from the premise. 

I'm good with York. (In case that wasn't clear)