Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Rookie GM, rookie mistake. A waste. Rebuilds should be steered by an experienced hand, as I've repeatedly said, or you end up like the Sabres and Oilers, bleeding talent needlessly.

Agreed. The problem is that a GM from outside the organization with no ties to it would probably want his own cast of senior advisors and you know the current group would be right in Helferty's ear about how the new GM wouldn't be a good culture fit and Helferty would swallow that hook, line and sinker. Until the Clarkes, the Holmgrens, the Lombardis and anyone else with long term ties aren't cut, we're just going to see the same thing over and over. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

@mojo1917

I'll be married 31 years in October. I'm just assuming the title song of abitur of anger is a woman.

Or it could be Superfan, after he finds out his sister married someone else.

• Haha 1

I think I may walk back a little of my displeasure at Kolosov situation.

At least a little bit of the finger pointing. 

I was listening to Charlie O' and Bill Matz yesterday and a couple of things they said had some weight for me.

The first being, maybe it wasn't the best idea to bring him over for the playoff run, the team is pretty well formed by then, he's coming in as an observer mostly. He didn't have much English...that would have been a tough situation for anyone to come into without factoring in the language barrier. It's difficult to join an established team no matter the situation.

Also, the hotel where he was "abandoned" is actually connected to the arena downtown. It's not like they put him up at a Red Roof Inn on Meth Street.

Would it have been reasonable to think a guy would be okay for a couple of weeks in that situation?

I'm thinking the management was thinking probably.

Ultimately in spite of the all the smoke around the situation, he hasn't "not reported to rookie camp" yet. It could be some things get ironed out and accommodations are made to ease his transition and he does report.

Currently it's a horrible look for the Flyers. In September it might be "fine".

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think I may walk back a little of my displeasure at Kolosov situation.

At least a little bit of the finger pointing. 

There is more than a little massaging of the situation going on.

Ultimately, we'll find out when rookie camp/training camp gets going.

While I still don't think they actually have plans to use Kolosov, they are likely going to be desperate to make sure he at least comes back for camp.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

There is more than a little massaging of the situation going on.

Ultimately, we'll find out when rookie camp/training camp gets going.

While I still don't think they actually have plans to use Kolosov, they are likely going to be desperate to make sure he at least comes back for camp.

It would certainly be nice to NOT have a reputation of not being able to hang on to your prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

While I still don't think they actually have plans to use Kolosov,

I think Hart's departure from the NHL may change this calculus.

The Flyers went from being "pretty good" in net to holy **** this Swede needs to work out or we're ****ed.

Nothing to be done about Hart obviously. Having a hedge against Fedotov not working out would be preferable to the Cal Peterson show part 5 or trading for a washed up stiff with a "name" in February. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers went from being "pretty good" in net to holy **** this Swede needs to work out or we're ****ed.

Nothing to be done about Hart obviously. Having a hedge against Fedotov not working out would be preferable to the Cal Peterson show part 5 or trading for a washed up stiff with a "name" in February. 

Ya, if Cal Peterson plays goal at all, then they should have just gone full rebuild.

Ok, they should have anyway. 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

My issue is that he's just not shown to be very good. .908 in the KHL puts him 32nd among goalies with 25+ starts last season.

Fedotov was .914.

Kolosov is lifetime .909 in the KHL.

I'm perfectly fine seeing what happens on his ELC, but I'm not seeing this as missing out on the next Bobrovsky.

Briere has said that they also made the Bjarnsson and Zavragin picks to keep talent in the goalie pipeline.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, if Cal Peterson plays goal at all, then they should have just gone full rebuild.

Ok, they should have anyway. 😉

Without a doubt.   But too much money to be made from ticket sales.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Kolosov is lifetime .909 in the KHL.

I'm perfectly fine seeing what happens on his ELC, but I'm not seeing this as missing out on the next Bobrovsky.

I am ok with him being pissed off.

He was maybe thinking one year in the AHL and then the NHL i would want my future maybe goalie to be happy staying in the AHL, but once they signed both goalies for 2 years it cock blocked him just like with Bob.

Don't know how it end up but you only can play the players who are here. 

It isn't very important right now though besides optics outside to other prospects maybe.

8 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Without a doubt.   But too much money to be made from ticket sales.

If only there was a way for "good" teams to make more money...like going 2,3,4 rounds into the playoffs.  🤔

But that would never occur to the Troglodytes of Philly 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

once they signed both goalies for 2 years it cock blocked him just like with Bob.

Bobrovsky's career KHL SV% is .925.

Kolosov is not Bobrovsky.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2024 at 8:16 PM, ruxpin said:

@mojo1917

I'll be married 31 years in October. I'm just assuming the title song of abitur of anger is a woman.

I’ve been married 4x and never hit 31 years. I’m like the Flyers management of matrimony 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It would certainly be nice to NOT have a reputation of not being able to hang on to your prospects.

That would be bad. They would probably end up having to pay them more than they are worth for 8+ years, with NMC/NTC just to stay 

id hate to see that come to fruition 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

That would be bad. They would probably end up having to pay them more than they are worth for 8+ years, with NMC/NTC just to stay 

id hate to see that come to fruition 

Well, that's a horse of a different colour...that's overpaying/over terming a veteran, not a prospect. It's been a long time fruition in the land of the ol' boys.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Bobrovsky's career KHL SV% is .925.

Kolosov is not Bobrovsky.

all well and good not going to worry about someone who doesn't want to be here that is Danny's headache he created.

remember these guys aren't Danny's draft pick 

but all i would have preferred is to move these kids if they're not in your plans or you don't need them anymore.

i know this is something totally different its more so making him maybe feels not important.

i'm not going to pretend i know what the kid was going thru but i am holding out hope that Danny Jones can maybe repair it - they have time.

as of right now goal is full the Phantoms need someone to develop this season is case of injury.

and we know Flyer's luck in the crease so not sure if someone is available in a trade before the season starts.

maybe someone on a not so hot contract maybe to bury in case of emergency so to speak.

plenty of time i guess i won't lie i will maybe pay for ESPN to be able to watch the games.

it feels like a car wreck i can't turn my head away from...i need to seek help.

But bourbon till due till then... 

:cheers:

However it happens, just remember that you're the face of the franchise and a true Flyer until you're finishing your career in Ottawa.

It's like a family. Like the guy who played two seasons of a 12 year career, scoring 36 goals and 78 points for a team that never made the playoffs and will always have a place with the Flyers.

Point being, all of these words and phrases "mean something" until it's decided that they don't.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

remember these guys aren't Danny's draft pick 

Remember, these guys refused to play for Dannys Flyers. Gauthier said he wanted to play for Philly before Danny, then he didn't. Kolosov came over to play, then left because he felt alienated, and apparently doesn't want to come back. 

We don't know the exact reasons why this all went bad, but it's certainly on Briere to figure what it is that makes prospects NOT want to go there. And he better get that straightened out asap...cause he's already using a time tested lousy blueprint to build a winner.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Philly before Danny, then he didn't.

Because he got rid of your boy, Haysey.

:hocky:

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Kolosov came over to play, then left because he felt alienated. 

Well, the season ended and all...

We can at the very least see where he is for camp.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Remember, these guys refused to play for Dannys Flyers. Gauthier said he wanted to play for Philly before Danny, then he didn't. Kolosov came over to play, then left because he felt alienated. 

We don't know the exact reasons why this all went bad, but it's certainly on Briere to figure what it is that makes prospects NOT want to go there. And he better get that straightened out asap...cause he's already using a time tested lousy blueprint to build a winner.

I know.

The bolded part is exactly my point so he might not GAF for all we know don't like him or whatever.

If that is the case then i would be just pissed how they handled him IF he had any value it certainly dropped if team know you need move him.

all self-inflicted is my beef.

Left out they should have just moved him at the draft even if so.

For whatever in the future better than nothing they will be stuck with now.

😵‍💫

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Remember, these guys refused to play for Dannys Flyers. Gauthier said he wanted to play for Philly before Danny, then he didn't. Kolosov came over to play, then left because he felt alienated. 

We don't know the exact reasons why this all went bad, but it's certainly on Briere to figure what it is that makes prospects NOT want to go there. And he better get that straightened out asap...cause he's already using a time tested lousy blueprint to build a winner

The kid from Guelph seems okay being a Flyers prospect. So does the potential superstar.

It could be that Kolosov doesn't want to leave Belarus. 

It might not matter if the greatest franchise in the history of hockey with the people you admire best picked him.

He could still say- I like pierogies better, I'm staying home. 

The timing of the two incidents is not great.

But, if the Kolosov situation happened on its own? Would it be looked at as; well that's what you get for picking those stinkin' Russians.

By all means make of it whatever you want. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The kid from Guelph seems okay being a Flyers prospect.

Carson Bjarnason will be a Phantom next year so they will have time to figure some ideas out there in goal. 

Zavragin is about 2 years away from coming over maybe.

Kolosov isn't a high priority right now either way.

Danny has time to figure it out if they want him they will do everything i think they can to right if if they player can be persuaded. 

And if not they still should find a resolution hopefully a favorable one for Philly.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The kid from Guelph seems okay being a Flyers prospect. So does the potential superstar.

So did Gauthier...until he didn't. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

It could be that Kolosov doesn't want to leave Belarus. 

It might not matter if the greatest franchise in the history of hockey with the people you admire best picked him.

He could still say- I like pierogies better, I'm staying home. 

The timing of the two incidents is not great.

But, if the Kolosov situation happened on its own? Would it be looked at as; well that's what you get for picking those stinkin' Russians.

By all means make of it whatever you want. 

This is true. If it was only Kolosov it wouldn't be a big deal. And maybe he IS just homesick or whatever, and that's fine. But that doesn't sound like what it was, it sounds like he felt like he didn't really matter. If that's the case, they have to do better. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1