Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Bobrovksy though...dang. 

Homer screwed that up so badly.

This cannot be over emphazied enough .... to run with Bryz instead of Bob will haunt this franchise for years.  The trickle down effect is STILL being felt.

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

What if he'd just ran it back with Richards and Carter and not signed Bryz?

What kind of butterfly effect would that have created?

Does that team challenge for ECF and cups for 2 or 3 more years?

We are still feeling the effects .... it is very possible  they could have challenged for the ECF if Richards / Carter were still around.   The FA office screwed this franchize up so badly and then compounded that problem with the hiring of good ol' Chucky boy (Fletcher).

• Like 2

Maybe the Flyers loan him back to the KHL and I'm two years, Kolosov comes back as a 24 year old ready to challenge for a spot on the club or his rights are moved. By then, the Flyers should know whether Ersson/Fedotov is legit or if Kolosov is ready for the challenge. I'm still concerned about another high profile prospect not wanting to be here. 

• Like 4

And our centre situation isn't any better than our netminders. 

Hockey News lists the elite #1s of the NHL, then the effective #1 centres, then teams that might have a true #1, then teams that should have a #1 up and coming, then teams that might need a #1 soon, then teams that need a #1 now. There are only 3 teams on the last list. Guess which one the Flyers are on?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/does-your-nhl-team-have-a-true-no-1-center-for-the-2024-25-season

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm still concerned about another high profile prospect not wanting to be here. 

I don't know whether to buy into this or not.

On the one hand, it's two pretty high-profile prospects opting out.

On the other, one was boys with Hayesy who was treated poorly by the coach.

Now, Hayesy could have tried giving Torts what he wanted, but that didn't happen. At least not during my viewing of those games.

What he did do was make sure he "played" his way out of town. 

The Kolosov thing, how much of it is not wanting to be in Allentown? If there aren't any Russian teammates to pal around with and there isn't a community to have some familiarity, I can see wanting to stay where at least you can ask where good pierogies can be found.

Veteran players have signed on to play here even though they know they won't compete for a championship, Konecny hasn't said he's out, Laughton straight up said he wants to stay. I would think if the Flyers were truly a **** show, everyone would be trying to GTFO and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I share the concern, but I wonder if the situations were reversed and Kolosov balked first if we'd be thinking the same things we are now?

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hockey News lists the elite #1s of the NHL, then the effective #1 centres, then teams that might have a true #1, then teams that should have a #1 up and coming, then teams that might need a #1 soon, then teams that need a #1 now. There are only 3 teams on the last list. Guess which one the Flyers are on?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/does-your-nhl-team-have-a-true-no-1-center-for-the-2024-25-season

They missed teams that have two elite centres, but I digress.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

this is news to whom and how?

I mean really.

I don't think there is a person in the Flyers forum that thinks we're set at center.

If anything the situation at center is far worse than in goal. Which right now is a huge unknown.

But at least there are some bodies with some upside in the system,  Bjarnason and Zavragin.

Also, only one guy can play the position at a time. Kolosov if he flakes, might **** us, but it could be that Fedotov is decent and Ersson shows that he can handle a tandem situation. If that happens and it could mean Kolosov becomes a fun anecdote from this time we all enjoy so much. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I was born and raised in the Lehigh Valley.  In answer to your question ....NO .. There is not a huge Russian population there.  Very heavy with the Latino community.  Granted it has been years since I lived there but I still have family in the area.

Luchadore should fit right in, in a few years...

7 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe the Flyers loan him back to the KHL and I'm two years, Kolosov comes back as a 24 year old ready to challenge for a spot on the club or his rights are moved. By then, the Flyers should know whether Ersson/Fedotov is legit or if Kolosov is ready for the challenge. I'm still concerned about another high profile prospect not wanting to be here. 

Burn his whole Entry level contract in the KHL?? Got to be a better way.

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nah. He doesn't want to be in Lehigh Valley. Toll the contract.

If he's loaned it can't be tolled it started this past season only thing is they would just own his rights but if he doesn't want to come to the NHL he won't even care, and they Flyers left holding their dicks.

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

this is news to whom and how?

I mean really.

I don't think there is a person in the Flyers forum that thinks we're set at center.

If anything the situation at center is far worse than in goal. Which right now is a huge unknown.

But at least there are some bodies with some upside in the system,  Bjarnason and Zavragin.

Also, only one guy can play the position at a time. Kolosov if he flakes, might **** us, but it could be that Fedotov is decent and Ersson shows that he can handle a tandem situation. If that happens and it could mean Kolosov becomes a fun anecdote from this time we all enjoy so much. 

kolosov i have no clue on how he's going to play in nhl, that's why he's a prospect and they arent playing him in the nhl because he has to be ready and beat out ersson and fedotov more likely he's in ahl for a few years until he plays or if he plays. as far as centers are concerned, i mean you will probably have to trade or sign for one. no one has control over the boards even we were the worst team and we still end with jvr and patrick type of players. it's not going to change anything. goaltending is so overlooked by fans, it's like it's not the reason why teams win cups and it is. that's the reason why teams lesser talented centers win cups. if matthews and mcdavid had goalies that stole games, they probably would be winning cups and the main reason why sid the kid couldnt win another stanley cup for another 7 years because the goal tending stunk until murray came in and won it twice.

On 7/18/2024 at 8:15 PM, tucson83 said:

i mean we are so deep in goalie prospects, losing kosolov isnt the end of the world and if he was that great, im sure teams would be lining up to trade for his rights, which says alot that he's probably not that good.

Plus, since Michkov is coming over earlier than expected, the Flyers had reached their Russian limit and would've had to jettison him anyway....only allowed to have so many on the team! (written in Ed Snyder's will) :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

🤓

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Can't wait for the dman list.

I have no problems with this list of defensemen. I think York takes a giant leap this year. He took a big leap last year, but I think with a full season under his belt of what Shaw wants, plus the expectations of Tortorella, he's going to bring his game to another level. I know I throw the name Brian Rafalski around a lot, but that's what I see York becoming. And let's be honest - Rafalski was a legit number one defender stuck behind some legendary performers in Niedermayer and Lidstrom. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ask, and you shall receive. Certainly in better shape here than C or G.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/does-your-nhl-team-have-a-true-no-1-defenseman-for-the-2024-25-season

All the great dmen played with a really good group of forwards. Hard to tell what the Flyers have when the forward group doesn't get available for passes. Have to give York credit for his progress without a lot of support. If they 

EVER make the playoffs I hope he can survive a seven game set against the Panthers or Rangers forecheck. Playoff D in the NHL is really hard.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:29 AM, mojo1917 said:

What if he'd just ran it back with Richards and Carter and not signed Bryz?

What kind of butterfly effect would that have created?

Does that team challenge for ECF and cups for 2 or 3 more years?

Good question. I think they would have been better, but they didn't (stop me if you've heard this before) have the caproom to improve the team. At the start of the season, they had what..$5 mil to improve the team with? I think they would have made the playoffs, as they likely would have been one and done, but it's better than missing the playoffs every other year like they did (especially when they barely miss them, and don't end up with a top 3 pick in the draft). They weren't as good as the Penguins, Bruins, Panthers, Rangers or Lightning, for sure..at that point.

Edited by FD19372

@FD19372

Yeah, it's an interesting exercise.

I think that Richards/ Carter team with Pronger was better than I think a lot of our forum wants to give them credit for being.

They were toss up with the Bruins and Rangers.  I don't think Tampa was quite there yet. And the Penguins,while better, were inconsistent also. 5 mil in cap space still would have enabled Jagr to sign with the team.

Could they have beaten the Blackhawks again? Or the Canucks or Sharks.

Probably. 

I don't think the Kings get over the hump without Carter and Richie.

It's interesting and maddening that the team is still paying for that decision almost 12 years later.

Anyway thanks for thinking about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@FD19372

Yeah, it's an interesting exercise.

I think that Richards/ Carter team with Pronger was better than I think a lot of our forum wants to give them credit for being.

They were toss up with the Bruins and Rangers.  I don't think Tampa was quite there yet. And the Penguins,while better, were inconsistent also. 5 mil in cap space still would have enabled Jagr to sign with the team.

Could they have beaten the Blackhawks again? Or the Canucks or Sharks.

Probably. 

I don't think the Kings get over the hump without Carter and Richie.

It's interesting and maddening that the team is still paying for that decision almost 12 years later.

Anyway thanks for thinking about it.

Agreed. That team doesn't get enough credit. It was a legit stacked team with 6 (?) 20 goal scorers. And yes it is fun (and frustrating) to think about what could have been if they kept that crew together and at the same time kept bob instead of Bryz. However, those two trades (Richie/Carts) brought back some serious talent that should have set up the team for the next ten+ years. Simmer, Schenn, Coots, Voracek for the downtown party crew were great trades (talent wise). They were too cautious with coots for too long, keeping him in a defense first role for years. Schenn, nags me to this day that he didn't stay a flyer for longer. I understand why he was traded (one of Patrick/Hischier were to be drafted) but you see what you have before you trade away a guy like Schenn first. Not bashing the return, think we got a third liner (cap dump) and two firsts (Frost/Farabee) so very good return...ok this wasn't supposed to be about Schenn, lost track here.

Think my point is I don't believe the mistake was trading those two and breaking up the crew. The mistake was not being able to properly leverage the assets they got in return, and fully exploit the window we had with serious talent in simmer, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, JVR, etc. Whether it's never really going for a proper rebuild or not being able to properly develop some of these players, or surrounding them with the needed talent, I dont know. 

• Good Post 1