Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I saw no Michkov. But who is Noah Powell? He looked good in the glimpses I saw

Michkov needs to get visa papers in order. He will be here in good time before real camp.

Powell went undrafted last year, and was selected in this draft in the 5th round. 6"2 201 Power Forward in the making. Things came together for him this year apparently, but I'm not surprised. Power Forwards usually take more time putting things together. He is partly deaf. He seems like an impressive young man who doesn't quit. I like this pick.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If he is as good as advertised, he will be able to do it regardless of linemates.

Ovechkin scored 106 points his first year in the league with Jeff Halpern as his center and Dainius Zubrus as his winger.

His second year he scored 92 points and the highest scoring center on the team had 26 points lol. Semin did arrive that year though

And 11 years after that the Caps got out of the second round.

:hocky:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

And 11 years after that the Caps got out of the second round.

:hocky:

They still sucked the year Ovechkin first played, so they got 4th overall and drafted Backstrom, then Varlamov.

Their moves after that weren't the best. I mean, they drafted Forsberg and traded him for Erat and Latta lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They still sucked the year Ovechkin first played, so they got 4th overall and drafted Backstrom, then Varlamov.

Imagine if they had gotten Bryan Little at 12 instead? :hocky:

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Their moves after that weren't the best. I mean, they drafted Forsberg and traded him for Erat and Latta lol

Right, drafting is part of the equation, but bad management will overcome all positives.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

Imagine if they had gotten Bryan Little at 12 instead?

Hey..watch what you're sayin' about Bryan Little! 😉

Damn he was good in Barrie. Not a bad career, over 800 games...but certainly wasn't a star like a lot of people thought he'd be.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey..watch what you're sayin' about Bryan Little! 😉

Damn he was good in Barrie. Not a bad career, over 800 games...but certainly wasn't a star like a lot of people thought he'd be.

Bryan Little was an excellent hockey player.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

After watching him for 4 years I (and many others) just thought he'd be a 60-70 point player for years.

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

After watching him for 4 years I (and many others) just thought he'd be a 60-70 point player for years.

Kind of hard to believe he only cracked 60 pts once. He was a 200 foot, all situations player though. Sad about how his career ended.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I really liked Little: played hockey the right way. It made me sick to see how his career ended, with taking that terrible slapshot to the head.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Right, it's not about bashing Bryan Little - you get "good NHL players" at 12 - but he had one 60 point year and it would have been a Much Different pick for the Capitals and Ovechkin than Backstrom turned out to be.

Backstrom posted 69-88-101-65 in his first four years and went on to post 70+ seven more times.

• Like 1

If the Flyers can get this Drysdale back and ready to play and stay healthy they have a good chance.

I think the staff can get him where he needs to be if he can find a way to stay on the ice.

He was injured the 1st game of the year and dealt with a sports hernia all season and still play at times well.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

This makes sense. I'm sure they'll deny it.

If Fedotov bombs well Danny will have another black eye...

...and this is speculation but something that makes sense.

Edited by OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

...and this is speculation but something that makes sense.

It's more than speculation right? Kolosov was a no-show for Dev Camp, now some website Belarushockey.ru (i think) has video of him playing with his old KHL team and says he asked them to void his Flyers' contract... They can't do that but still... also supposedly Flahr slipped up asked about Kosolov "if he comes back...I mean when he comes back..."

It sounds to me like he's made up his mind...but if he expected to just waltz into the NHL (like Fedotov - Stupid Flyers!) then he was dreaming anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It's more than speculation right? Kolosov was a no-show for Dev Camp, now some website Belarushockey.ru (i think) has video of him playing with his old KHL team and says he asked them to void his Flyers' contract... They can't do that but still... also supposedly Flahr slipped up asked about Kosolov "if he comes back...I mean when he comes back..."

It sounds to me like he's made up his mind...but if he expected to just waltz into the NHL (like Fedotov - Stupid Flyers!) then he was dreaming anyway.

i mean we are so deep in goalie prospects, losing kosolov isnt the end of the world and if he was that great, im sure teams would be lining up to trade for his rights, which says alot that he's probably not that good.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Guess we'll see. All i can say at this moment.

9 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i mean we are so deep in goalie prospects, losing kosolov isnt the end of the world and if he was that great, im sure teams would be lining up to trade for his rights, which says alot that he's probably not that good.

Here's a top 15 goalie prospect ranking from July 17 2024....none of our goalie prospects are on it. NONE. One guy is an honorable mention along with 10 others...guess which guy that is? Ya, the one we don't need anymore. We don't have a #1 goalie. Our franchise may well be the absolute worst in NHL history of drafting and developing goalies over the last 40 years. We're so deep we can afford to just toss them away.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5612433/2024/07/17/nhl-goalie-prospects-ranking-wallstedt-askarov/

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Here's a top 15 goalie prospect ranking from July 17 2024....none of our goalie prospects are on it. NONE. One guy is an honorable mention along with 10 others...guess which guy that is? Ya, the one we don't need anymore. We don't have a #1 goalie. Our franchise may well be the absolute worst in NHL history of drafting and developing goalies over the last 40 years. We're so deep we can afford to just toss them away.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5612433/2024/07/17/nhl-goalie-prospects-ranking-wallstedt-askarov/

Two more ex Flyer keepers are partying with the Stanley Cup this summer. Two more they tossed away. 

• Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i mean we are so deep in goalie prospects, losing kosolov isnt the end of the world and if he was that great, im sure teams would be lining up to trade for his rights, which says alot that he's probably not that good

not really man.

Part of why the Flyers were deep was Kolosov being in the mix.

The other prospects are years away from being ready for the NHL, even though they have potential, especially Zabragin.

to all:

I think the Kolosov situation is weird. 

I thought the Fedotov situation was much, much weirder. 

I have a few questions about Kolosov.

The first is, are there any other Russian speakers on the Phantoms?

I know Allentown isn't the A #1 American city, it has some charm but it's pretty 'just okay".

Is there a decent Russian population in that Allentown Bethlehem region?

If he's the sole guy on the team speaking sputnik, with no one else around to hang out with to have a language break. I can see where coming over to America and being #3 on the depth chart may not be awesome. 

the other question I have is, could this behavior; the whole, **** that I'm not playing there attitude, be a feature of this next generation of hockey players?

Gauthier, McGroaty, Fox, Vesey all did it in North America, maybe the word has spread 'round the world?

I don't know, Kolosov would be a pulled hammy from playing in the NHL after a few months...maybe he's not the droid we're looking for if this is how he acts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Two more ex Flyer keepers are partying with the Stanley Cup this summer. Two more they tossed away.

Nick Cousins...big deal. He's the Eric Johnson of Garnett Hathaways.

Bobrovksy though...dang. 

Homer screwed that up so badly.

What if he'd just ran it back with Richards and Carter and not signed Bryz?

What kind of butterfly effect would that have created?

Does that team challenge for ECF and cups for 2 or 3 more years?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

s there a decent Russian population in that Allentown Bethlehem region?

I was born and raised in the Lehigh Valley.  In answer to your question ....NO .. There is not a huge Russian population there.  Very heavy with the Latino community.  Granted it has been years since I lived there but I still have family in the area.