Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

12 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If i were sharks GM I would take that Colorado 1st rounder next year off your hands to rid you of Risto.

And I could see the Flyers doing that. Cause it would be completely pointless when you're supposedly rebuilding. 

• Haha 1

I've got to admit, I think the Flyers are somewhat playing this offseason smart (if not by design). Seeing all these big money deals and teams missing out on players should make it somewhat easy for the Flyers to make trades once the free agent well somewhat dries up. Will they make deals? Who knows. But there will probably be teams cashing for Konecny and Farabee. Still shocked Laughton hasn't been moved yet.

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've got to admit, I think the Flyers are somewhat playing this offseason smart (if not by design).

They haven't played an off-season smart, in over a decade. They're always up against the cap, and end up doing very little to upgrade the team. Meanwhile, they tell their fans, be patient. So, consequently..ALL of their draft picks HAVE to work out. That won't happen. That doesn't happen for any team. Which is why, there's a thing called free agency. They can never partake in it, because they don't know how to manage the cap. Nor do they listen to dissenters, who dare tell them they don't. Rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They haven't played an off-season smart, in over a decade. They're always up against the cap, and end up doing very little to upgrade the team. Meanwhile, they tell their fans, be patient. So, consequently..ALL of their draft picks HAVE to work out. That won't happen. That doesn't happen for any team. Which is why, there's a thing called free agency. They can never partake in it, because they don't know how to manage the cap. Nor do they listen to dissenters, who dare tell them they don't. Rinse, repeat.

The expectation was that they were going to be cash strapped this offseason. They had to get out from the bad deals that Schmuck Felcher signed and for some of the deals they made, they had to take on salary. They're going to have almost $35 million next offseason, plus whatever the cap goes up by. Even if they sign Konecny and York to big money deals, they're still going to have in the neighbourhood of $20 million, plus whatever the cap goes up by. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm seeing the money handed out today and it's nuts. Jake Debrusk getting $38.5 million over 7 years? Brandon Montour getting $50 million over 7 years? Or how about Matt Roy getting $5.75 million a year? This is one year that I'm glad Philadelphia doesn't have any money to spend foolishly. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The expectation was that they were going to be cash strapped this offseason. They had to get out from the bad deals that Schmuck Felcher signed and for some of the deals they made, they had to take on salary. They're going to have almost $35 million next offseason, plus whatever the cap goes up by. Even if they sign Konecny and York to big money deals, they're still going to have in the neighbourhood of $20 million, plus whatever the cap goes up by. 

They have to get out from under Fletcher’s bad deals so they can sign bad deals of their own.

• Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

They have to get out from under Fletcher’s bad deals so they can sign bad deals of their own.

But has Briere given anyone a bad deal yet? I suppose some might say the Fedotov deal, but that was going to be a bump regardless. Other than that, the signings have been really nothing off the chart. He didn't blow the bank for Ersson. He didn't blow the bank for York. He didn't blow the bank for Frost or Cates. He really hasn't the blown the bank on anyone. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

But has Briere given anyone a bad deal yet? I suppose some might say the Fedotov deal, but that was going to be a bump regardless. Other than that, the signings have been really nothing off the chart. He didn't blow the bank for Ersson. He didn't blow the bank for York. He didn't blow the bank for Frost or Cates. He really hasn't the blown the bank on anyone. 

Pretty hard for Briere to hand out anything ridiculous when he hasn't had the chance to since the teams been up against the cap since he started.

Let's see how he handles Konecny...that should tell us if he's good at contracts or just another in the long line of Flyer GMs. The Fedotov deal was stupid, but not franchise crippling.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty hard for Briere to hand out anything ridiculous when he hasn't had the chance to since the teams been up against the cap since he started.

Let's see how he handles Konecny...that should tell us if he's good at contracts or just another in the long line of Flyer GMs. The Fedotov deal was stupid, but not franchise crippling.

Agreed. I'm also thinking that the longer this contract issue goes with Konecny, the more likely it is that he gets moved. I'm watching a number of these teams in free agency who haven't done anything and have money left to spare and I'm thinking that they're going to approach the Flyers in terms of trade. Just a gut feeling, especially when you consider this franchise usually looks after their own and they haven't done anything with Konecny yet.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jesus, Chandler Stevenson just got a 7 year/$43.75 million deal. They're out to lunch today.

👍 Tell me about it. NHL GM Hangover Monday, apparently. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

How much do you think Frost should be making right now? He hasn’t even proved he should be a NHL regular yet IMO. 

Well, he's 7 years younger than Hathaway, put up almost 3X as many points, was a plus player to Hathaways -7...so what does that make Hathaway? Other than overpaid

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And the Flyers just extended Garnett Hathaway - 2 years, $4.8 million. He's making more money than Frost is. Well, there's the dumb dumb contract that we were talking about with Briere.

#Master Of Puppets. Obey Your Master.

Posted (edited)

Some good news..where management hasn't destroyed the team 

The Flyers have signed Matvei Michkov, to a 3 year entry-level contract.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

How much do you think Frost should be making right now? He hasn’t even proved he should be a NHL regular yet IMO. 

It's interesting how perception of the same player can be so vastly different. I don't get how you can say he hasn't even proved to be a NHL regular? 

I'm not trying to annoy you or show disrespect. I'm just truly baffled about your statement.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ctid said:

It's interesting how perception of the same player can be so vastly different. I don't get how you can say he hasn't even proved to be a NHL regular? 

Yeah. He's certainly not an impact player, and I don't think he will ever be, but I think he's an actual NHL player.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

To me, he's proven he's an NHL regular. Now, has he proven to me he's deserving to be a SECOND LINE NHLer, like he was last season? No.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

To me, he's proven he's an NHL regular. Now, has he proven to me he's deserving to be a SECOND LINE NHLer, like he was last season? No.

It's hard to get proven when the coach hates the style of game you play. The fact that Frost is a gifted passer and playmaker, yet Tortorella expects him to be a physical grinder is something I'll never understand. You put your players in a position to win the game. Tortorella puts his like Frost in a position to lose and when they do, he throws them in the dog house. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hes the only playmaking center we have, one of our leading scorers, 41 pts in 71 games.  Konecny got 68 points and wants 9 million.  At this point Frost is a tremendous bargain.So until we have something better....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's hard to get proven when the coach hates the style of game you play. The fact that Frost is a gifted passer and playmaker, yet Tortorella expects him to be a physical grinder is something I'll never understand. You put your players in a position to win the game. Tortorella puts his like Frost in a position to lose and when they do, he throws them in the dog house. 

Most of us know, that Tortorella hates young players, BUT the fact that the Flyers forced him to become a second line player so early in his career..and has proven himself to just be a decent-at-best second line player when he's only shown flashes, makes this the Flyers front office's fault IMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, FD19372 said:

Most of us know, that Tortorella hates young players, BUT the fact that the Flyers forced him to become a second line player so early in his career..and has proven himself to just be a decent-at-best second line player when he's only shown flashes, makes this the Flyers front office's fault IMHO.

Oh I blame a number of people in Philadelphia for the handling of Frost.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Konecny got 68 points and wants 9 million.

Again...that's the Flyers front office's fault, that they overpaid him and may be overpaying him AGAIN.

Edited by FD19372

55 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Part of this is the neanderthal coach factor. If you are truly rebuilding a team around youth and enthusiasm why do you have a coach who doesn't value youth and enthusiasm? Dysfunction in Flyer Junction.

Another part of this is a franchise that doesn't develop its prospects. Frost has the tools in the tool box. Management entrusts his game to get better by having nobody in the minors to nurture his progress and coaching by humiliation in the show. Just more dysfunction.