Philadelphia Flyers offseason 2024

Very odd that a group of posters on a Hockey site can CLEARLY see the dysfunctional aspects of player development in Leigh Valley, but Management can't? Are they dumb? Does Lappy have sex tapes as leverage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

Very odd that a group of posters on a Hockey site can CLEARLY see the dysfunctional aspects of player development in Leigh Valley, but Management can't? Are they dumb? Does Lappy have sex tapes as leverage?

It's the whole mantra of sacrificing for the Flyers means you have a job for life. 

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's the whole mantra of sacrificing for the Flyers means you have a job for life. 

The ol' Boys club never dies, they just take longer naps.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's what worries me about Andrae. He's ready for big minutes with the big club.

It needs to start in 2024-25 and no later.

They get 2 more years of him on his ELC and it needs to get going now.

Emil needs to play not sit and watch. Stop wasting time.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let the kids play and work through their woes on the ice in the NHL it is a rebuild no sense leaving them in the AHL when they are 22 going on 23 shi t or get off the pot.

I watched the Oilers spend a decade giving boys a hatchet and asking them to chop down California redwoods... It doesn't work, it doesn't help. The NHL isn't a development league. If they're 22 and in the AHL, they're mostly likely not NHL players anyway, and the team needs to find replacements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Newest member Cam Atkinson who will "always have a job with the Flyers" according to DB.

He was here for TWO YEARS and achieved BUBKUS.

Lifetime job.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Uggh... 4

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

What worries me, and continues, to worry me about Lehigh Valley is the idiot behind the bench. Is there any sort of real skill development going on? It seems like these prospects are basically there to see if they fit "the system" or not. 

Completely this. I'm quoting this part, but the entire post, well said.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I figured I'd start a new topic about the offseason instead of tying into one of the draft threads. 

So I saw this morning on Reddit that the Flyers are cost to re-signing Erik Johnson to be the 7th defenseman. 

As well, numerous players weren't qualified yesterday

(including the WJC four), but there were a few names on the list that I'm intrigued by. Two defensemen and two forwards - Nils Lundqvist and Jake Bean were the defensemen and Maxime Comtois and Alex Nylander were the forwards. I'm guessing they could be had for cheap and would certainly fit into what Briere is trying to do.

Comtois could really be the gem, especially when you consider that he had a good rookie year, but then Anaheim basically banished him after a sophomore slump year that including breaking his hand and then getting Covid. He never got a chance to prove himself. This is the kind of low risk, high reward signing the Flyers should be looking at.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I figured I'd start a new topic about the offseason instead of tying into one of the draft threads. 

So I saw this morning on Reddit that the Flyers are cost to re-signing Erik Johnson to be the 7th defenseman. 

picard-double-facepalm.gif

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As well, numerous players weren't qualified yesterday

(including the WJC four), but there were a few names on the list that I'm intrigued by. Two defensemen and two forwards - Nils Lundqvist and Jake Bean were the defensemen and Maxime Comtois and Alex Nylander were the forwards. I'm guessing they could be had for cheap and would certainly fit into what Briere is trying to do.

Comtois could really be the gem, especially when you consider that he had a good rookie year, but then Anaheim basically banished him after a sophomore slump year that including breaking his hand and then getting Covid. He never got a chance to prove himself. This is the kind of low risk, high reward signing the Flyers should be looking at.

Nothing wrong with trying a low cost player with upside. Or anyone you can deal at the deadline for more assets.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

Yeah I cringed when I saw Johnson, but it is what it is. Tortorella likes him and wants him, Briere likes him and wants him and if he's only signing for a million bucks, I'm good with that. They really need to get rid of Ristolainen on the worst kind of way though.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

ugh, I wonder what they like about him?

he's not the harbinger of doom that everyone likes to pretend he is, but damn, isn't there another corpse to drag around?

Just now, mojo1917 said:

ugh, I wonder what they like about him?

he's not the harbinger of doom that everyone likes to pretend he is, but damn, isn't there another corpse to drag around?

I'm wondering if he's a player that also acts as an on-ice coach. I can see the value in that. Being able to dissect plays and informing players where they need to be. If he's watching from the box above, it certainly can't harm matters any in terms of bringing defensemen along. It also alleviates the load on Shaw. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tell you this much. I'm looking at what Tanev and Pesce got and those contracts aren't going to age well at all. I'm glad the Flyers are cash strapped this offseason.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

35 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

picard-double-facepalm.gif

Nothing wrong with trying a low cost player with upside. Or anyone you can deal at the deadline for more assets.

Yeah let's not sign the 23 year old RHD Nils Lundqvist let's sign the 36 year old RHD holy shat you can’t make this crap up.

SMFH

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yeah I cringed when I saw Johnson, but it is what it is. Tortorella likes him and wants him, Briere likes him and wants him and if he's only signing for a million bucks, I'm good with that. They really need to get rid of Ristolainen on the worst kind of way though.

Sure let's block another kid great i guess they have a 15th overall pick they are working on again....

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Reports are they didn't feel good draft him since he had the same agent that Cutter had and didn't feel like risking it with a college kid again.

Can't blame em after getting burned i guess especially when the kid could just refuse to sign and walk to whatever team he wants when he is ready and Flyers would be left empty handed.

The McGroarty situation right now didn't help confidence wise either.

Many clubs will pass on some of these guys for that very reason something goes wrong and well they are the only draft prospect that can refuse to sign with and then they become a free agent.

It isn't that way with CHL players and kids from the SHL or other development leagues.

Does anyone know why college prospect have this luxury??

I wish the NHL could change the draft rules for college players it should be the same as it is for junior Canadian leagues. The college guys not wanting to play for their draft team is starting to occur more often, these shyster agents are gonna ruin everything. Now you have to worry if the guy you sign is gonna wanna play for your team and you are gonna miss out on some good players.

• Like 2

Just now, RonJeremy said:

I wish the NHL could change the draft rules for college players it should be the same as it is for junior Canadian leagues. The college guys not wanting to play for their draft team is starting to occur more often, these shyster agents are gonna ruin everything. Now you have to worry if the guy you sign is gonna wanna play for your team and you are gonna miss out on some good players.

It does seem to be becoming a problem.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure let's block another kid great i guess they have a 15th overall pick they are working on again....

The 36 year old is the 7th defenseman. It's ok. The sky isn't going to fall. At this point, Johnson is blocking no one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The 36 year old is the 7th defenseman. It's ok. The sky isn't going to fall. At this point, Johnson is blocking no one. 

I don't think Marc Stall blocked anyone. If Johnson is used like that ? This is fine and the house behind the dog isn't burning.

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yeah, if he's truly the 7th defenseman and is there to spot start to rest someone, I have no problem with that.  A kid in that role doesn't help that kid at all.   The kid learns from playing and watching occasionally, not from watching and then playing occasionally.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Tell you this much. I'm looking at what Tanev and Pesce got and those contracts aren't going to age well at all. I'm glad the Flyers are cash strapped this offseason.

Tanev = Muzzin 2.0

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Tanev = Muzzin 2.0

It's worse than that. Tanev is beginning his TOR contract older than Muzzin ended his, and with almost 700 more blocked shots on his resume.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I'm glad the Flyers are cash strapped this offseason.

The Flyers seem to be cash strapped, EVERY offseason.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If i were sharks GM I would take that Colorado 1st rounder next year off your hands to rid you of Risto.

4 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If i were sharks GM I would take that Colorado 1st rounder next year off your hands to rid you of Risto.

What would you give us in return, Mr. Grier?