Possible new contract for Konecny

Couldnt really find an existing thread for this. But Reinhart just signed for 8 years 8.6 pr. So....obviously Konecny cant be given a contract that is a higher value for 8 years. Using that as a comp, if we are talking an 8 year deal it cant be more than 7.5. There is simply too big a gap between Reinharts production and Konecny's. He had almost the same amount of goals as Konecny had points...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I hope he gets the contract he wants as long as it's with another team.

^^^ THIS

There's no reason to resign TK if they are really attempting to build a Cup winning team.

However, resign him if you're just trying to excite the fanbase into buying game tickets.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Totally agree. I'm just saying it's a good thing that Reinhart signed for what he did. In the eventuality that Konecny resigns, at least there is a contract out there that Briere can use in negotiations.

• Like 1

Unless there are assets coming from not signing TK. i.e. a trade, why not keep him?

He's a good player, he's not so old that he can't be a decent piece of the team when the young core takes over.

A thing that I really like about TK's game is he can bring guys into the fight with him.

When he "TK's" whether it's giving a guy a stinky glove in a scrum or scoring or nearly scoring short-handed- guys on the team get excited or mad or whatever, Travis has that gift.

In addition to being the best player on the team currently I think that is an aspect of his game that shouldn't be dismissed when thinking about building a team.

I haven't heard anything that tells me he won't be resigned. 

The Reinhart deal provides hope for me that a new Konecny contract won't be a completely bloated albatross boat anchor that will cause crushed dreams for a decade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Unless there are assets coming from not signing TK. i.e. a trade, why not keep him?

He's a good player, he's not so old that he can't be a decent piece of the team when the young core takes over.

A thing that I really like about TK's game is he can bring guys into the fight with him.

When he "TK's" whether it's giving a guy a stinky glove in a scrum or scoring or nearly scoring short-handed- guys on the team get excited or mad or whatever, Travis has that gift.

In addition to being the best player on the team currently I think that is an aspect of his game that shouldn't be dismissed when thinking about building a team.

The Reinhart deal provides hope for me that a new Konecny contract won't be a completely bloated albatross boat anchor that will cause crushed dreams for a decade.

Agree with parts of your post. With Real Estate, its all about location. When building a contender, its all about time line. If the Flyers are serious about a rebuild you just don't give anyone 7+ mill a year till they are 36. You trade them for assets to fit your Cup timeline. All signing Konecny will do is give them 6-7 extra wins and take them out of an ideal draft position. 

I do appreciate your optimistic approach to the team though. The doom and gloom can get heavy in here...its nice to see the odd ray of sunshine....lol. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

We have to get maximum return for TK, if it doesn't happen this summer then it has to be at the trade deadline, when teams usually overpay big time. Since it will be contenders trading for him at the deadline,  the draft pick won't be that great, so it will have to be one of their top young prospects and a pick. If not, then I guess you have to keep him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have to get maximum return for TK, if it doesn't happen this summer then it has to be at the trade deadline, when teams usually overpay big time. Since it will be contenders trading for him at the deadline,  the draft pick won't be that great, so it will have to be one of their top young prospects and a pick. If not, then I guess you have to keep him.

Konecny for Askarov straight up!!!!

Make the call!!!

yeah, as dynamic as TK is, the problem with this team in the past has been getting too enamored with a particular player and holding on to them too long...or giving them extra long contracts,  If TK would somehow accept 5 years without a NTC, that would be a win...then you trade him in two years at the deadline

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

yeah, as dynamic as TK is, the problem with this team in the past has been getting too enamored with a particular player and holding on to them too long...or giving them extra long contracts,  If TK would somehow accept 5 years without a NTC, that would be a win...then you trade him in two years at the deadline

If we really wanted to win now, I'd agree. Love Konecny as a player, but this team needs to bottom out and get some impact. Travis just helps keep us above that. Trading him would likely assure us of a better draft pick (in each round) next year, and also bring in MORE assets for the future.

F*** THE NOW! That should be the Flyers slogan for this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If we really wanted to win now, I'd agree. Love Konecny as a player, but this team needs to bottom out and get some impact. Travis just helps keep us above that. Trading him would likely assure us of a better draft pick (in each round) next year, and also bring in MORE assets for the future.

F*** THE NOW! That should be the Flyers slogan for this season.

We will find out soon whether this team is building for the future & a Cup, or just to improve enough to sell tickets to the fans.

10 hours ago, Fuzz said:

We will find out soon whether this team is building for the future & a Cup, or just to improve enough to sell tickets to the fans.

Pretty sure last season, when fans were ready for a rebuild, showed us which of the two they're leaning toward.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure last season, when fans were ready for a rebuild, showed us which of the two they're leaning toward.

Yep trading away their 2nd best defenseman in a playoff race sure showed us they're going for it.

Acquiring 6 picks in the top two rounds of the 2025 draft, widely viewed to be deeper than 2024.

Definitely says we're going for it.

This narrative where the FO is lying and trying to be mediocre is wrong.

My hope is the Flyers build themselves into one of the 6-8 teams that has a shot to win the cup for 5 or years. 

Everyeone knows they aren't there now. 

But if they were to build themselves into a Dallas type situation, I'd be plenty happy with that. That team was one guy and two bounces from playing the Panthers.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Yep trading away their 2nd best defenseman in a playoff race sure showed us they're going for it.

Acquiring 6 picks in the top two rounds of the 2025 draft, widely viewed to be deeper than 2024.

My hope is the Flyers build themselves into one of the 6-8 teams that has a shot to win the cup for 5 or years. 

But if they were to build themselves into a Dallas type situation, I'd be plenty happy with that. That team was one guy and two bounces from playing the Panthers.

Well it's out there on X not from fans but many Flyer beat guys that Danny is lying about Kolosov and him coming back.

From example not being at development camp.

And you anyone else can believe whatever you like i'm good either way.

So to get in front of all this Danny needs quickly call the Preds and offer Konecny for Akarov ASAP to fill that hole.

The whole Visa thing smells to high heaven and i ain't mad at Danny for keeping it under wraps but go get this goalie i don't GAF what who is under contract or what get in front of this before word does get out.

But these same folks are wondering why he brought him over to LV with no fellow Russian on the Phantoms to lean on.

Sure rookie GM mistake fine.

Live and learn but in the meantime trade Konecny while he can do not give him a new contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it's out there on X not from fans but many Flyer beat guys that Danny is lying about Kolosov and him coming back.

So to get in front of all this Danny needs quickly call the Preds and offer Konecny for Akarov ASAP to fill that hole.

The whole Visa thing smells to high heaven and i ain't mad at Danny for keeping it under wraps but go get this goalie i don't GAF what who is under contract or what get in front of this before word does get out.

But these same folks are wondering why he brought him over to LV with no fellow Russian on the Phantoms to lean on.

Sure rookie GM mistake fine.

Live and learn but in the meantime trade Konecny while he can do not give him a new contract.

Nashville just added 4 big contracts and extended Saros. They have less than a quarter mill of cap space left. Any Konecny deal would have to see equal money going out. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I reckon we'll see when camp opens. I saw a presser where asked directly and it seemed like Danny was baffled by the report, not playing but genuinely not understanding where the news is coming from.

By the same token:

I also trust Elliot Friedman and he's saying there are rumblings (or whatever he says} about the situation. Friege knows stuff.

Maybe Kolosov's agent is saying one thing and the player is saying something different- maybe it's language, maybe this smoke is a result of fire.

The part I thought was the most telling from his 7/1 availability was the part where DB said Kolosov is under contract so he's not playing anywhere else. 

Also thrown into that conversation [ paraphrasing ]Kolosov is in his 3rd pro year and usually guys like that don't usually attend development camp.

I do see where after the Cutter Gauther situation, especially the inclusion of "he's had a long season line" Kolosov's whereabouts will be an issue until he shows up for training camp.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

NOT blowing it up shows they aren't rebuilding, they're continuing the 'draft either just in or just out of a playoff spot" which gets you Cam York/Tyson Foerster/Joel Farabee....good players, but not superstars that you need to win. 

We've both seen the Flyers be in Dallas type situations...I'd prefer them to win a cup. I've seen them lose their last playoff game enough.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Nashville just added 4 big contracts and extended Saros. They have less than a quarter mill of cap space left. Any Konecny deal would have to see equal money going out. 

Easy peasy make me an offer!!

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We've both seen the Flyers be in Dallas type situations...I'd prefer them to win a cup. I've seen them lose their last playoff game enough.

You know better than me; hockey is a weird sport.

How many times does the President's trophy winner go on to win the cup?

Not often. 

But those teams are usually built in a way where they are in that top tier, and like Tampa and Florida, win the cup a year or two later.

If the team is built in a manner where their quality is high and sustained then that's when anything can happen.

That's what I'd like to see the Flyers become.

There is no reason to think they cannot build their way to that level of quality without getting rid everyone who is good at hockey.

I will just add the Sixers, who tanked for 4 years, just watched the Celtics, who never try to lose, win their gazillionth championship. 

The reward for this is the free-agent signing of role player Paul George to create a big 3 Ebiid, Maxey, and Meh. Different sport, but the capability of one guy changing the fortunes of a team is even greater, and the Sixers can't make the semi-finals. 8 years on. 

The Flyers are going to stink this year, with lots of picks, probably a top 8, they'll have Michkov, they'll have top 6 pick Drysdale, they'll have some guys by the time the cap cleans up .

They're going to pay for players too, who wants to come to team that blows, and plays in a mausolem? 

****** around and losing can send the team to the desert just as easily as promised land. 

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I reckon we'll see when camp opens. I saw a presser where asked directly and it seemed like Danny was baffled by the report, not playing but genuinely not understanding where the news is coming from.

By the same token:

I also trust Elliot Friedman and he's saying there are rumblings (or whatever he says} about the situation. Friege knows stuff.

Maybe Kolosov's agent is saying one thing and the player is saying something different- maybe it's language, maybe this smoke is a result of fire.

The part I thought was the most telling from his 7/1 availability was the part where DB said Kolosov is under contract so he's not playing anywhere else. 

Also thrown into that conversation [ paraphrasing ]Kolosov is in his 3rd pro year and usually guys like that don't usually attend development camp.

I do see where after the Cutter Gauther situation, especially the inclusion of "he's had a long season line" Kolosov's whereabouts will be an issue until he shows up for training camp.

Well when there is smoke there is fire.

He wasn't at camp last year though.

So i'm calling bullshi t.

I just hope Danny is working behind the scene and is learning frol the Quitter Gauthier situation.

And yes eat some of TKs salary or take a bad contract back but go be aggressive and get Askarov.

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

You know better than me; hockey is a weird sport.

How many times does the President's trophy winner go on to win the cup?

Not often. 

But those teams are usually built in a way where they are in that top tier, and like Tampa and Florida, win the cup a year or two later.

I don't know better than you, we just disagree. I'm fine with that and enjoy our back and forth. 

Teams that are great in the regular season doesn't make them great playoff teams (cough, Toronto, cough) 

If the team is built in a manner where their quality is high and sustained then that's when anything can happen.

That's what I'd like to see the Flyers become.

There is no reason to think they cannot build their way to that level of quality without getting rid everyone who is good at hockey.

I don't want to get rid of everyone who's good at hockey, just most of the guys who don't fit into the timeframe the Flyers are building toward (let's pretend they have one 😁 )

I don't want a team that's pretty good each year....I want a team that is GREAT at least one time. And I don't mean once ever, I mean near future. 

I will just add the Sixers, who tanked for 4 years, just watched the Celtics, who never try to lose, win their gazillionth championship. 

The reward for this is the free-agent signing of role player Paul George to create a big 3 Ebiid, Maxey, and Meh. Different sport, but the capability of one guy changing the fortunes of a team is even greater, and the Sixers can't make the semi-finals. 8 years on. 

Hockey IS NOT basketball. If you have 5 really good players in basketball, that's really all you need. If you have 5 really good players in hockey you're still several really good players away from competing. 

The Flyers are going to stink this year, with lots of picks, probably a top 8, they'll have Michkov, they'll have top 6 pick Drysdale, they'll have some guys by the time the cap cleans up .

They're going to pay for players too, who wants to come to team that blows, and plays in a mausolem? 

****** around and losing can send the team to the desert just as easily as promised land. 

Lucky to have Michkov. A guy like that will likely never fall that far again. Drysdale is a good player who's not very healthy. Imagine if he had to play 4 best of 7s at the end of an 82 game sched? I can't. 

Players will go to whoever pays them. Would you go play in Chicago with Connor Bedard for 5 or 10 million a year? Am I really asking you that? 😆

In case you haven't noticed, the Flyers haven't won a cup for 50 years....they ARE the desert. Time to do something different. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Would you go play in Chicago with Connor Bedard for 5 or 10 million a year? Am I really asking you that? 😆

it would really feel like stealing from them, but sure.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

In case you haven't noticed, the Flyers haven't won a cup for 50 years....they ARE the desert. Time to do something different.

I guess I view the Richards teams a little differently.

That team was pretty good; who knows if they had kept the band together, would they have won a title?

Mr Snider's failing health ****ed that all up -until this moment.

So 2008 to 2013 That was the last time the team was a contender, it doesn't feel that long ago.

But it has been 15 years. 

It is time to turn a corner, it seems to me that we're in it, now we need to find the apex.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Different sport with different cap and dynamic, but Ainge helped build the foundation of that team (Brown and Tatum) with the picks and assets he got for trading Garnett and Pierce to Brooklyn.  At that time, Garnett and Pierce were former champions who could have gotten the Celtics to the playoffs comfortably for several more years, but Ainge realized they were not going to win anything and it was going to be diminishing returns going forward, so he turned these aging assets into younger, better players.  This is what we should do with Konecny.

The Sixers haven't lost because of the Process; they lost because they squandered the treasure trove of assets they had over the years on terrible picks (Simmons, Fultz), trades (Bridges), and FA signings (Harris over Butler).  And plenty of terrible coaching and flawed stars.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1