2024 Free Agency time!

LOL at the Leafs. They gave Tanev a six-year deal (SIX !!!). Glad that the Stars got a little something just to trade his rights. They also signed Jani freaking Häkänpää... Good lord.

Counterpoint: Nill smoking some decent shít by giving Lyubushkin a 3-year deal at $3.25M AAV. Ugh...

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Oh, man... If they do it, the AAV had better be low.

Just one year at 3M.
Honestly...not bad.
Even if Skinner floats around, he should run into goals by ACCIDENT playing with some of the Oilers offensive guys.

• Like 1

In the midst of all this, Bettman reinstated Joel Quenneville and Bowman.

I'm not a pitchfork guy but I suspect the timing was to bury it behind an Avalanche of UFA signings and some folks will be unhappy with it

• Annoyed 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

That's why he's only costing $4M/yr. This is a decent gamble, imo.

Viktor Arvidsson doesn't get the least bit sheltered by his coaches, spending most of his time playing against the opposition's best players, but look at what happens he's on the ice:

image.png

When a guy plays tough comp, and scoring chances against, dangerous chances against and the goals against go down, you're not talking about a bad defensive player, even if too many people conflate hitting with defense. Usually, it just means the other team has the puck too damned often.

Well, like I said...I will root for Arvy.
Always did like him. He was even a fantasy hockey favorite of mine for quite some time before the injuries kept putting him out of action.

Skinner and Arvidsson... Draisaitl, McDavid.... RNH, Hyman.... not a bad top six if everyone is rowing in the same direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Just one year at 3M.
Honestly...not bad.
Even if Skinner floats around, he should run into goals by ACCIDENT playing with some of the Oilers offensive guys.

I don't like him, but I can live with the money and term.

Oilers also added:

image.png

The team that just lost by one goal in game 7 of the Finals made significant improvements to their roster today. My guess with the forward group:

Nuge / McDavid / Hyman
Skinner / Draisaitl / Arvidsson
Janmark / Henrique / Brown
Holloway / Mcleod / Perry

LTIR – Kane

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Oilers also added:

image.png

The team that just lost by one goal in game 7 of the Finals made significant improvements to their roster today. My guess with the forward group:

Nuge / McDavid / Hyman
Skinner / Draisaitl / Arvidsson
Janmark / Henrique / Brown
Holloway / Mcleod / Perry

LTIR – Kane

With Afanasyev gone, there's a couple ways this could go and obviously lines will change a few games in anyway, but the main lineups I see are

If Celebrini signs:

Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Smith - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin/Graf
Grundstrom

If Celebrini doesn't sign:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Smith - Toffoli
Goodrow - Wennberg - Graf
Kunin - Sturm - Dellandrea
Grundstrom 

Ferraro - Emberson
Walman - Ruuta
Muk - Benning
Vlasic - Thompson

Now, if Couture is healthy this changes further, but I don't think the moves yesterday indicate he'll be healthy. In order to keep attracting college FAs, I'd look at giving Graf some games during the year. It was pretty big that we got him and he could be a serviceable 3rd liner in the future.

Our defense is still a black hole. Especially on the right side.

• Like 1

Nill had a serious hangover day from the back-to-back Jim-Gregory winner of GM of the year...

The Good

• Casey DeSmith (3-yr/$1M AAV) - Wedgewood wanted more for being basically bad. DeSmith is a good option for the back-up at that rate and he proved he can be a legit goalie in this position. He can definitely have 25-30 starts next season and give the team a chance to win those games.
  • Matt Duchene (1-yr/$3M AAV) - The same exact contract than the previous one. Giving this, it's okaaaay... He's still a 50-60 pt. players but he vanished in the playoffs. He had a good connection with Seguin so at least he can't be worse in the postseason.
  • Sam Steel (1-yr/$1.2M AAV) - A fair contract for a serviceable fourth liner.

The Bad

• Matt Dumba (2-yr/$3.75M AAV) - Maybe they wanted to find another turnover machine than makes costly mistakes and take stupid penaties all the time. I thought buying out Suter would have meant to announce something bigger but that's like a consolation plan for missing targets like Matt Roy or Sean Walker. This is an ok contract in 2016 but Duma has never been the same since his fight against Tkatchuk.

The Ugly

• Ilya Lyubushkin (3-yr/$3.25M AAV) - My God, what a terrible signing. So the Stars will give more for longer to a Hakanpää 2.0. I'm Speechless. I understand the need for RHD but Nill clearly hit the panic button. I know the narrative, a good PKer, a physical presence, blablabla, but the goal was to grab top-4 RHD (which is sadly Dumba). Giving that money for a third-pair guy makes no sense. Alexandre Carrier got a similar contract...
  • Nils Lundkvist (1-yr/$1.25M AAV) - So DeBoer hates him, the experiment failed big time, Nill didn't qualify him, Lundkvist became a UFA and they were urged to sign him anyway to sit in the pressbox. $1.25M thrown out of the window. What the hell they've been thinking...

Overall they got better in the net but no improvement at all on both offense and defense. Maybe the best move was not signing Tanev at that amount and for six years. The hopes are now high on Bourque and Bichsel to cover the mistakes that completely offset the Suter buyout... I'd have signed Roy and Walker to the deal they got anytime. Missing William Carrier also killed me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Now, if Couture is healthy this changes further, but I don't think the moves yesterday indicate he'll be healthy. In order to keep attracting college FAs, I'd look at giving Graf some games during the year. It was pretty big that we got him and he could be a serviceable 3rd liner in the future.

Yeah, I don't expect he'll play much, if at all. He was always such a good two-way player and a respected man in the locker room, so I imagine that even injured, he'll still have value to the club.

49 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Our defense is still a black hole. Especially on the right side.

I was reading through your post and quickly thinking "Man, but that blue line. I watched every Oilers/Sharks game last year, and about a dozen other games, and they:

a) consistently struggled to break up the cycle, and

b) couldn't get the puck out of the defensive zone, with the exception of Mario Ferraro.

But, this is a rebuild, and that's how that goes.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Math said:

Nill had a serious hangover day from the back-to-back Jim-Gregory winner of GM of the year...

The Good

• Casey DeSmith (3-yr/$1M AAV) - Wedgewood wanted more for being basically bad. DeSmith is a good option for the back-up at that rate and he proved he can be a legit goalie in this position. He can definitely have 25-30 starts next season and give the team a chance to win those games.
  • Matt Duchene (1-yr/$3M AAV) - The same exact contract than the previous one. Giving this, it's okaaaay... He's still a 50-60 pt. players but he vanished in the playoffs. He had a good connection with Seguin so at least he can't be worse in the postseason.
  • Sam Steel (1-yr/$1.2M AAV) - A fair contract for a serviceable fourth liner

-I really like the DeSmith signing. More than reasonable, even if he would have cost maybe an extra $300-400k in another market. He can provide solid backup goaltending in front of a responsible defense.

-Duchene's legs haven't gone away yet, so he still provides value.

The Bad

• Matt Dumba (2-yr/$3.75M AAV) - Maybe they wanted to find another turnover machine than makes costly mistakes and take stupid penaties all the time. I thought buying out Suter would have meant to announce something bigger but that's like a consolation plan for missing targets like Matt Roy or Sean Walker. This is an ok contract in 2016 but Duma has never been the same since his fight against Tkatchuk.

He could always skate, but I think he saw himself as that big hitter, and (imo) it really broke his body down early, because he just doesn't have the thickness/bulk you want for that over the long term. Always took himself out of position to make the big hit.

5 hours ago, Math said:

The Good

• Sam Steel (1-yr/$1.2M AAV) - A fair contract for a serviceable fourth liner.

The Bad

The Ugly

• Ilya Lyubushkin (3-yr/$3.25M AAV) - My God, what a terrible signing. So the Stars will give more for longer to a Hakanpää 2.0. I'm Speechless. I understand the need for RHD but Nill clearly hit the panic button. I know the narrative, a good PKer, a physical presence, blablabla, but the goal was to grab top-4 RHD (which is sadly Dumba). Giving that money for a third-pair guy makes no sense. Alexandre Carrier got a similar contract...
  • Nils Lundkvist (1-yr/$1.25M AAV) - So DeBoer hates him, the experiment failed big time, Nill didn't qualify him, Lundkvist became a UFA and they were urged to sign him anyway to sit in the pressbox. $1.25M thrown out of the window. What the hell they've been thinking...

Overall they got better in the net but no improvement at all on both offense and defense. Maybe the best move was not signing Tanev at that amount and for six years. The hopes are now high on Bourque and Bichsel to cover the mistakes that completely offset the Suter buyout... I'd have signed Roy and Walker to the deal they got anytime. Missing William Carrier also killed me.

I'll take Nils Lundqvist on the sharks. At 1.25mil and him being a mighty offensive d prospect, maybe a change of scenery will help.

Deboer was always horrid at developing dmen lol.

On 7/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, Buffalo Rick said:

@TFG.  Your team is far better w Guentzal than Stamkos now.   Ow we see if that useless sack of schit Adams does anything to help Lindy

THAT, will most definitely remain to be seen.

Besides, the Stamkos situation is a hell of a lot more than just Stamkos is better, or Guentzel is better.
Lots of underlying stuff that could bite Brisebois and the Lightning in the arse down the road the way the GM's office treated the team captain...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Wow. Why?

-Blackwell faced the toughest comp of any Chicago centre.

-Hardest zone starts.

-On a team that gave up 111 more goals than they scored, he was only -4.

He's a useful bottom-6 player.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-Hardest zone starts.

You and your facts. You'd make a  terrible Flyers fan.  😁

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You and your facts. You'd make a  terrible Flyers fan.  😁

Using facts you can prove anything that's even remotely true.

Facts, schmacts.

:hocky:

• Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

-Hardest zone starts.

That's correct, one of the players that remained on top of the Titanic while remaining under the radar.

I don't mind this signing per se at the League minimum for just a year, but I was expecting more from the Stars front office especially after buying out Suter and dumping Faksa's salary in St-Louis. The thing is that Bourque is expected to make the team this year after being the AHL's MVP last season with guys like Blümel also eligible to be a bottom-6 guy.

It's still a bummer because the Stars had two major issues to solve: finding a top-4 RHD and add secondary scoring. And none of these two holes have been fixed yet. I would've taken Roy or Walker to their respective newly deals anytime but my assumption if that Nill didn't want to commit himself on longterm contracts because Öttinger and Robertson are due for a significant raise after their bridge contracts.

I guess a major splash is expected next year because Benn, Lindell, Duchene and Dadonov's contracts are coming off the books for something like a bit more than $20M with a part of that money used to extend Johnston.