NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

12 minutes ago, ctid said:

But fair enough. I get your point. Maybe my expectations were too high, and perhaps they didn't want to Tango with the Flyers. Just so disappointed to see Dickinson and especially Siliayev taken one to two spots before us.

The one thing that sort of pissed me off is when a former small center who wasn't drafted due to his size turns around and blows smoke up out asses about passing on Buium due to his size.

The fact that they have a guy like Emil Andrea waiting meanwhile Andrea can't even get a chance on the big club and he'll be 23 mid way of next season.

If you're counting on the damn kid let him play on the goddamn rebuilding NHL team not in the damn minors.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ctid said:

What I meant was Danny should have gone for Buffalos 11th pick before the sharks did. Not necessarily at draft day, but weeks ago. We have all talked about the top 13-14 guys in this draft, moving up just one spot or acquiring and extra so we had 11 and 12 would have been the right move. We had alot of assets to acquire that 11th and optimize the chance to get one of those top guys. Dickinson and Luchanko, and no one would complain. 

I don't know that i pay to move one spot before the draft. You run a very real risk of drafting a kid you could have had staying where you were.  This draft was a pretty good example of how unpredictable it can be. 

Although, I wonder how unpredictable it was to the people actually in the room.  Seems they have some Intel that the mock draft experts don't. Maybe not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ctid said:

What I meant was Danny should have gone for Buffalos 11th pick before the sharks did. Not necessarily at draft day, but weeks ago. We have all talked about the top 13-14 guys in this draft, moving up just one spot or acquiring and extra so we had 11 and 12 would have been the right move. We had alot of assets to acquire that 11th and optimize the chance to get one of those top guys. Dickinson and Luchanko, and no one would complain. 

Oh! I responded too quickly.  You were talking about the Buffalo pick in addition to the twelve.  Okay, yes. Agreed.

• Like 2

All the rumblings around the Flyers talking to Ottawa, and CBJ.

I cannot imagine he wasn't on the phone with Buffalo. 

If we can think of it, he can think of it.

I think he didn't have the right mix of players or picks that he was willing to part with .

I don't feel terrible about this draft, but I never do. Who knows what these magic beans will turn into?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

The one thing that sort of pissed me off is when a former small center who wasn't drafted due to his size turns around and blows smoke up out asses about passing on Buium due to his size.

The fact that they have a guy like Emil Andrea waiting meanwhile Andrea can't even get a chance on the big club and he'll be 23 mid way of next season.

If you're counting on the damn kid let him play on the goddamn rebuilding NHL team not in the damn minors.

Well, Danny spent 2 years in the AHL and it helped. It is seeming to hold Andrea back at this point though.  Hes real close to...if he does not fit in your plans, trade him. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

19 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Well, Danny spent 2 years in the AHL and it helped. It is seeming to hold Andrea back at this point though.  Hes real close to...if he does not fit in your plans, trade him. 

Let the kids play and work through their woes on the ice in the NHL it is a rebuild no sense leaving them in the AHL when they are 22 going on 23 shi t or get off the pot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

What worries me, and continues, to worry me about Lehigh Valley is the idiot behind the bench. Is there any sort of real skill development going on? It seems like these prospects are basically there to see if they fit "the system" or not. 

That's what worries me about Andrae. He's ready for big minutes with the big club. The kid can play. He's intelligent, he can skate, he's not afraid of the physical game. There should be a spot for him on the blueline. But Tortorella likes knuckle draggers like Seeler. And I get that he blocks a lot of shots, but what else does he offer. If he's on most other teams around the league, he's a five to six defenseman. 

I don't know what they're going to do. They've also got Ginning looking for playing time and they'll also have Attard plus Stinktolainen. There's going to be roughly ten defensemen for six spots. And you know Tortorella will want his veterans, regardless what he says about playing young players.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get that he blocks a lot of shots,

Wonder if Flyer management will ever figure out that guys who block lots of shots play in their own end a lot. That isn't a good thing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

they're mostly likely not NHL players anyway, and the team needs to find replacements.

You may be right it's why i would give them time in the NHL then we know.

They literally just used this kid as an excuse to not draft Buium which i am calling ******** on.

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

They didn't draft Buium because they were doing "best player available" with a preference towards centers. That's what Briere said and I get that.

They then used the third they got to get a second round defenceman.

All in all, pending how the kids develop, not a bad draft.

But certainly not a game changer.

After doing my research this morning the 1st round pick is a boom or bust potential but if he reaches his potential he should be 2nd line center no worse.

The rest of the picks are depth picks bottom 6/bottom pair type guys and well just younger depth maybe.

I am not as mad today as i was the other day.

Luch was almost having to wait till next draft due to his birthday.

The kids measuables as @flyercanuck posted on his thread i think were off the charts amazing.

So i get it with him kid has all the tools and is almost a blank canvas they can coach into Super stardome (ok maybe a stretch but you get the point) his tools you just can teach.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ctid said:

What I meant was Danny should have gone for Buffalos 11th pick before the sharks did.

How do you know he didn’t?

we often sit on this cozy forum and develop theories we think are sound and legitimate. The problem is, none of are, never have been, or never will be an NHL GM. We don’t really know one way or the other what happens behind the scenes. However, that never seems to stop us from getting are our emotions involved when they don’t do what we want

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

After doing my research this morning the 1st round pick is a boom or bust potential but if he reaches his potential he should be 2nd line center no worse.

The rest of the picks are depth picks bottom 6/bottom pair type guys and well just younger depth maybe.

I am not as mad today as i was the other day.

Luch was almost having to wait till next draft due to his birthday.

The kids measuables as @flyercanuck posted on his thread i think were off the charts amazing.

So i get it with him kid has all the tools and is almost a blank canvas they can coach into Super stardome (ok maybe a stretch but you get the point) his tools you just can teach.

It's rare that I like the kid drafted and hate the draft. This is one of those times.

We are 'supposedly" in a rebuild. On the face of it, we have many draft picks. Last year we got lucky and had a potential franchise type player fall into our laps. This wasn't by any genius move by Flyers front office, this was a player who should have went 2nd or 3rd, fall to 7th. He'd go 1st in some drafts. This year, we had a potential top pair defenceman fall into our laps. The guy was rated by almost everyone in the 4-8 range, and we could have had him 12th. 

I think Luchanko will make the NHL in a few years, and it doesn't matter if its 2 or 3 or 4 years. He plays the game right. He'll be a fan favorite. That's all well  and good. But just look at what some of the other teams did, and have done at the draft, stockpiling several more blue chip prospects, and it's no wonder the Flyers are never a threat to do anything. 

As mentioned above and I mentioned it before, we trade back, pick up an asset, then dump it to move up in a later round and reach for a player we likely could have had anyway....who projects as a depth player! We're watching teams like Chicago and SJ building the Taj Mahal, Burj Khalifa, St. Basils Cathedral, Ankor Wat and the great Pyramids, and Briere and co. are using Lego blocks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know but having the same agent as Cutter scared them off.

I get it.

But in 2 years when he walks to another team and the Flyers are left with nothing to show for it you would have been livid they took the risk.

I guess we'll never know on that point. All we can do is see how each prospect pans out. I'm cheering for Jett, because I love the way the kid plays hockey. And as I've mentioned every time, I have nothing against him.

My issue is with Flyer management and this middling way of trying to do a rebuild. How on earth does a team that is "maybe a playoff team" become any more of a threat as we watch a dozen teams (at least) have better drafts than us? 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess we'll never know on that point. All we can do is see how each prospect pans out. I'm cheering for Jett, because I love the way the kid plays hockey. And as I've mentioned every time, I have nothing against him.

My issue is with Flyer management and this middling way of trying to do a rebuild. How on earth does a team that is "maybe a playoff team" become any more of a threat as we watch a dozen teams (at least) have better drafts than us? 

All the teams that were as bad or worse than us and started a rebuild around the same time, have way more high end players and prospects and all we have is Michkov. We are so far behind.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, ruxpin said:

You know, I was just saying privately elsewhere that I'm kind of hoping the "same agent as Cutter and stayed away" is the real reason.   Because if it is, I can appreciate Briere not wanting to be public about that and is forced to throw seemingly incoherent alternative reasons out there.   I'm going to go ahead and pretend it (Cutter/agent) is the real reason not to go for the defenseman there (because worst case scenario is you have one too many above average young defensemen and are trading one from a position of strength).  It just makes me feel better not having to think we have Paul Holmbriere running the show.

It makes perfect sense to me that an organization that got burned by a player/agent, would black ball that duo. I had no idea about the contract issues with college players, until it was detailed by RJ

as I mentioned, we don’t really know what went into the decision making, so I choose to accept this as the logical answer. I also have no problem with the Flyers establishing principles for this type of thing, kinda like when ‘ok Bob Clarke wouldn’t draft or sign Russians. After all, don’t that work at well ?

did I just contradict myself :IDunnoSmiley:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

FWIW Jett Luchenko is about as cool a hockey name a dude can have. 

Yeah it’s pretty cool, but still, “TKACHUK”, the sound the puck makes when it hits the back of the net…. thats my winner

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

We can all remember when a Flyers GM over-ruled his scouts to sign the can't-miss-consensus #1B prospect.

No, we don't. That narrative didn't emerge at the draft. It didn't emerge after the draft. It emerged years later when Makar was finally in the league and the Canadian center they rushed into the NHL was on his way out of the league.

No one will convince me that Robert Earle Clarke was sitting there demanding they draft the defenceman committed to an American college over a Canadian Junior phenom center.

Because he didn't.

Patrick was the consensus 1/2 for everyone, even the Flyers scouts.

Time we leave that one alone.

(I would have taken Heiskanen, obvs)

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And if that's the case. I'd say that's a learning from past mistakes, he went with his guys over the noise.

Jet (woo hoo oo oo oo ooo oooo oooo) was on Briere's mind earlier this season. The combination of youth And potential development ceiling is a nice match.

We also don't need to worry about him "playing his way" onto the team this year so less of a chance of Patricking him.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

The GM could have had multiple picks in the top 15 but wouldn't pull the trigger on deals because he felt he was overpaying. The fact is if you are serious about a rebuild you pay to draft elite talent while simultaneously lowering yourself in the standings, which is how you accumulate additional elite talent. The Flyer philosophy of almost being a playoff team and rebuilding at the same time is a fools errand and will never be successful, the way most of the plant defines successful. The dysfunction that is the Flyers will wallow for many years until this broken mindset is gone. The truth is they could have had Biumm and Jett but the GM chickened out.

16 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The truth is they could have had Biumm and Jett but the GM chickened out.

Let's hope they tried.  They should have had a plan for a situation where Biumm dropped to them, and pivoted to that plan. It probably would have cost them a 1st next year.

Hopefully they tried, but based on DB's comments viz types of Dman we already have, I fear they didn't have a plan for that, tunnel vision on Luch. And they left the BPA on the board as a result. 

43 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The GM could have had multiple picks in the top 15 but wouldn't pull the trigger on deals because he felt he was overpaying. The fact is if you are serious about a rebuild you pay to draft elite talent while simultaneously lowering yourself in the standings, which is how you accumulate additional elite talent. The Flyer philosophy of almost being a playoff team and rebuilding at the same time is a fools errand and will never be successful, the way most of the plant defines successful. The dysfunction that is the Flyers will wallow for many years until this broken mindset is gone. The truth is they could have had Biumm and Jett but the GM chickened out.

A trade up would have been good as long as our 2025 pick was not involved. That draft is way better and we will be a bottom ten team this season. I was hoping we could acquire a top 9-11, for TK and then we could have had Dickinson and Jett, but would not have given up the 2025 pick.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Yeah it’s pretty cool, but still, “TKACHUK”, the sound the puck makes when it hits the back of the net…. thats my winner

Well, Luuu-CHENK-Ohhhh is the sound the puck makes flying off his stick, deflecting off the crossbar and in, crowd is amazed.  :pyramiddance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Well, Luuu-CHENK-Ohhhh is the sound the puck makes flying off his stick, deflecting off the crossbar and in, crowd is amazed.  :pyramiddance:

And without the sound of a rodent nibbling on cheese in the background.