NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

A lot of teams skipped Buium. 

If he wasn't their guy, why make the pick?

His skill set is redundant to a 3 guys already in the system.

I do wonder if the Flyers are going to leave the USDT guys alone for a few years after Gauthier?

Maybe he poisoned the well or maybe they're brats, especially the top guys.

I don't know.  Pick Buium and trade him? 

We'll know in 4 years if they blew it.

I pick him and decide later whether him or Drysdale. I'm partial to York, but then "or him."

I'm basically okay with passing on him and apparently they checked and people interested were behind where they thought their guy would be taken. So it is what it is. I guess now wait and see how it turns out. 

I take the dman who inexplicably fell. Every time over a middle six

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just read Flyers didn't want Buium because York, Drysdale among others are small and Flyers didn't want to be stuck with a small defense core. I respect that. Danny also said the tie went to Center position. 

Maybe we could have drafted him and then traded York or Drysdale, Buiim is supposedly everything that Drysdale and York have not become and a true PP QB. I would trade Drysdale immediately before he gets hurt again and is worth nothing.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's probably a thing best saved for Monday. See who are going to be missing out on guys and then slide in and start making deals. I fully expect Carolina will be all in on Konecny. Could probably work out a real good deal there. Same with Laughton and Buffalo (there's just too much smoke around Krebs and Laughton for this to not go down).

I hope so but Krebs is a total underachiever, I think we are set in that category.

I do wonder if the Flyers are going to leave the USDT guys alone for a few years after Gauthier?

I read Buium has the same agent as Cutter Gauthier?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's probably a thing best saved for Monday. See who are going to be missing out on guys and then slide in and start making deals. I fully expect Carolina will be all in on Konecny. Could probably work out a real good deal there. Same with Laughton and Buffalo (there's just too much smoke around Krebs and Laughton for this to not go down).

If we got Krebs for Laughton, I'd be happy.

A lot of teams skipped Michkov. 

Obviously he wasn't their guy...but why did so many people have him rated so highly? he sounds like a pretty good dman who was good at everything. I'm a firm believer of BPA with your 1st rounder, and I sure thought he was that guy when it came to their pick. 

I guess a couple of spoiled brats may have scared some teams off from going that route...I don't know. Rare not seeing any American NCAA players in the top 10. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe we could have drafted him and then traded York or Drysdale, Buiim is supposedly everything that Drysdale and York have not become and a true PP QB. I would trade Drysdale immediately before he gets hurt again and is worth nothing.

Could not agree more. If Drysdale ever makes it through an entire season without getting hurt, I'll throw a block party and invite the whole site!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Could not agree more. If Drysdale ever makes it through an entire season without getting hurt, I'll throw a block party and invite the whole site!!

Including plane tickets?

Because I will show up with a lot of vodka

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess this is boom or bust here...

GRM5x4uasAA7FUz.jpg.872023a151726c981d019a0125dc2dde.jpg

Here is Dobber projection….

IMG_6860.thumb.png.f8b585d301178bf246f9fe74acfceb06.png

As of right now Luchanko could potentially be a 1st line Center 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Dobber also projected Igor Chernyshov 13th overall lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

One plus for the kid is he is one of the youngest kids in the draft.

So he has plenty of time to grow and develop.

49 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

As of right now, so could I.

• Like 1

Ignorance is bliss in this case. I have no idea if this was a good pick or not. Therefore I have no emotional disappointment in what they are doing. I will just wait and see what happens on the ice, where my enthusiasm for good hockey has already been beaten into submission 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

and it's coming from a former shrimp center who was drafted high for the very same reason

oh the irony here!!!

So, I was reading a handful of "draft winners and losers" articles. The flyers made a couple of "losers" columns and one or two (generous) "surprises" columns. Or weren't mentioned at all.

But what i didn't know but was mentioned was that at least two to three teams with picks in the teens were going for Luchanko.  So, trading back much further. If it was either Detroit or st Louis we really had nowhere to go. 

So, if that's the guy they really wanted, I still maintain they should go for Buium, but i understand now why they were landlocked. 

One last thing, we got a third for the #12 and, as predicted, they packaged it.  For s reach in the second round. I'm not going to pretend I know the kid (Gill), but nearly everything I've read thinks this was a weak pick in that range. 

I wish the Flyers management (regardless of the name on the door) would stop deluding themselves by continuing to think they're the smartest guys in the room.  More than a decade of futility later, I'm not sure their the smartest guy playing solitaire.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

WOOOOO....We're Jamming, I hope you like Jamming too. 

• Haha 1

I was really impressed with the video clip I saw on Luch. His game does not appear to be that of a 17 year old. Wise beyond his years. Nice wheels as advertised. Elite vision and pass. Elite use of time and space. You can clearly see why they want this kid eventually playing with Michkov. 

I'm starting to think one of the main reasons they passed on Buium was to make sure they had a Center who had speed to keep up with MM and the vision/passing to assure he will produce like his skill level dictates. 

Luch, in a few years, even smarter and faster will be a real threat for 30/60 paired with MM. Part of passing on Buium was to make sure their star Russian had a talented linemate. 

Think about it, they don't take a C this year, its 3 full years MM does not have a C to feed him adequately. As it is, it will be 2 yrs. Is that enough time passed to make MM want to move on? Wanna risk that?

Edited by jammer2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

But what i didn't know but was mentioned was that at least two to three teams with picks in the teens were going for Luchanko.

I seen it reported that the kid was only 30 days away from missing the deadline to be eligible for the draft can't verify that because i don't know what the cut off date is. So it seems the kid is very young and has a lot of room to grow which is good to hear.

37 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Think about it, they don't take a C this year, its 3 full years MM does not have a C to feed him adequately.

It should be longer than that if you plan on letting JL develop properly i don't want to rush someone because Matvei needs a center.

They'll have to find another stop gap option till he is ready.

But they can do like the Blackhawks did play Bedard and still trim/modify the roster while they play and develop.

That is the crux with the Flyers because they feel they have to go for a Cup run while doing such.

One of their fatal flaws....on top of drafting guys to play different positions instead of taking the best guys at that position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

that is kind of unfair to judge it that why i think Danny tried but very hard to compete with a team who drafts first is every round...even if you match the draft picks the Shark's pick are going to be 11 spaces closer than the Flyers.

You can make a GM chose your club.

Especially when Grier was a former Sabre player and never even played for the Flyers and for all we know could hate the Flyers.

What I meant was Danny should have gone for Buffalos 11th pick before the sharks did. Not necessarily at draft day, but weeks ago. We have all talked about the top 13-14 guys in this draft, moving up just one spot or acquiring and extra so we had 11 and 12 would have been the right move. We had alot of assets to acquire that 11th and optimize the chance to get one of those top guys. Dickinson and Luchanko, and no one would complain.