NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

1 minute ago, flyerdog said:

true , but you have to have a trade partner..maybe MIN was the only one calling?

Then honestly, i draft the top pair defenseman you were batshit lucky to have fall to you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I love it!!!! He was dynamite in Guelph. He was lights out and a leader at the under 18 tournament. He doesn't turn 18 until August, so we'll REALLY get to see how he performs as an 18 year old. He's also an incredibly smart player all ready. I've watched a lot and you know who he reminds me? A better skating Mike Richards. This is a really good pick. They're probably going to go with Sahlin-Wallenius at the end of round one.

Thank you. I was looking for somebody who knew a little more about him. I will set aside my negative feelings for this pick and trust you. Trust the proces and give Danny a chance....but with that said, would you have picked him over Bounce or even Helenius?

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Then honestly, i draft the top pair defenseman you were batshit lucky to have fall to you.

Or, get a C/RW like Helenius. The twelfth pick, isn't when you reach. The 30th could be.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

With Biuim and Helenius sitting there, you'd have to think there was more available than a 3rd to trade back and STILL get Luchenko. I like the player, but this is a reach. Very young player, one of the best at the combine. Speed to burn. Hard working and smart. But on the small side. He's got some good things, but this is boom or bust. 

^^^^  this x 1000 ^^^^^ this is like a Fletcher move...trying to outsmart everyone else ......

This team needs top end talent ....   Biuim has the potential to be a star offensive d-man who would go nice with Michkov on the PP .......

Luchenko could have been had later in the round.....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

With Biuim and Helenius sitting there, you'd have to think there was more available than a 3rd to trade back and STILL get Luchenko. I like the player, but this is a reach. Very young player, one of the best at the combine. Speed to burn. Hard working and smart. But on the small side. He's got some good things, but this is boom or bust. 

Well, the good news is that Luchanko has grown since January. He was 5'10, 157 lbs. He grew an inch and he's put on 28 pounds. He's in the middle of a growth spurt. He's going to grow another inch or 2, which puts him at the 6'0 - 6'1 mark. I'm sold on him. As you mentioned, speed to burn. But people don't take about his hands enough. He's a silky smooth playmaker. Disgustingly good to be honest. I'd love to see what he could do alongside Michkov. He might have the hands and defensive acumen to do so. I'll admit, those is a swing for the fences type pick. But this is like Easton Cowan last year. Everybody thought 'what', but he delivered a stellar performance this past year. That's Luchanko. I rip on Nature Boy Brent Flahr quite a bit, but he's done a good job drafting here. Call it quiet confidence, but I think Luchanko is going to hit it out of the park.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This doesn't fill our need for elite talent. This is depth. It's a great pick if you're a top 10 team. We aren't.

1000 % agree ....at this point ...Flyers have to take BAP on the board and that would be Biuim / Helenius ......  Look the kid may turn out fantastic down the road but this is NOT a pick you rebuild on.  Seriously disappointed here ......

The good news (for me at least) is, Philadelphia Eagles training camp is around the corner. God only knows how back the Flyers are going to screw up the 30th pick.

3 minutes ago, ctid said:

Thank you. I was looking for somebody who knew a little more about him. I will set aside my negative feelings for this pick and trust you. Trust the proces and give Danny a chance....but with that said, would you have picked him over Bounce or even Helenius?

Yep. And the reason is simple - age. He played the entire season as a 17 year old and was thrust into a role that was going to be for Matthew Poitras. The big thing about Luchanko was that he got better every game. The guys picked before him, they all played at least half a season as an 18 year, which is huge in terms of physical development. Now that Luchanko is turning 18 (and going through a growth spurt), his strength, his conditioning, his skating, his everything, is going to a next level. I'm seriously enjoying this selection. It's off the board, it's a risk as well, but it's a good calculated risk to take. They aren't thinking next year. They're thinking two to three years down the road. That's what this pick is.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This.

The trade of 12 feels like Carlson. 

The reach feels like Hextall and Jay O'Brien.

It's not. I'm telling you. This is a genuinely good pick. Be patient. This is one of the youngest players in this draft with perhaps the best skating and hockey IQ. This is a good pick. People will be raving in December at why he was selected outside the top 10. He carried that team as a 17 year old. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, the good news is that Luchanko has grown since January. He was 5'10, 157 lbs. He grew an inch and he's put on 28 pounds. He's in the middle of a growth spurt. He's going to grow another inch or 2, which puts him at the 6'0 - 6'1 mark. I'm sold on him. As you mentioned, speed to burn. But people don't take about his hands enough. He's a silky smooth playmaker. Disgustingly good to be honest. I'd love to see what he could do alongside Michkov. He might have the hands and defensive acumen to do so. I'll admit, those is a swing for the fences type pick. But this is like Easton Cowan last year. Everybody thought 'what', but he delivered a stellar performance this past year. That's Luchanko. I rip on Nature Boy Brent Flahr quite a bit, but he's done a good job drafting here. Call it quiet confidence, but I think Luchanko is going to hit it out of the park.

He’s only 17 , 5ft 11 and close to 190, that is a solid size. He can easily put on 15-20lbs of muscle once he hits the gym and he may get a little taller . If he can become a second line center, then it’s a good pick.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

true , but you have to have a trade partner..maybe MIN was the only one calling?

TBH I don't understand why Danny B said openly that he is looking for centers pre-draft, why did he tip his hand? Seems like a major faux-pas 

When Frost, Cooter and Laughton are your Cs, everyone and their Mother knows you need C, with or without actually saying it. Dont think that hurt them. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

FWIW Bob Mckenzie had Luchanko ranked 18th. 

Just watched some highlights, this kid has tremendous speed and plays a huge role on his team at 17 year’s old. I think he’s gonna end up being a good pick for us.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's not. I'm telling you. This is a genuinely good pick. Be patient. This is one of the youngest players in this draft with perhaps the best skating and hockey IQ. This is a good pick. People will be raving in December at why he was selected outside the top 10. He carried that team as a 17 year old. 

I was initially disappointed...but willing to keep an open mind. I admittedly am not familiar with the kid. People were laughing at the Leafs pick of Easton Cowan last year...so lesson is, dont be quick to judge. 

• Like 2

So I don't know a whole lot about Jett Luchenko.  I did hear Charlie O' talk a little about him, and he liked him. That's the extent of my Luchenko knowledge- so thanks @BobbyClarkeFan16

I will say this. No one had Helenius as topping out at 1st line center.

He was a safe high floor pick.

I was surprised they didn't pick Buium. I was disappointed they didnt take him,  but I wonder if his game is in the the same profile as York, Drysdale and maybe even Andrae?

This is in no way as bad as Steve Eminger for the pick used for Carllson bad. 

People need to reel that business in.

56 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

TBH I don't understand why Danny B said openly that he is looking for centers pre-draft, why did he tip his hand? Seems like a major faux-pas

Doesn't take Hercule Pirot to figure out the Flyers are week down the middle.

Got a guy with a bad back,  an under achiever, a left winger and Ryan Poeling down the middle, plus no one pushing from LHV. 

It's not a secret.

The team needs Centermen. 

• Like 2

I like everything about Luchanko's game. How often do you hear about a player who is possibly the smartest player in the draft, also among the fastest, a hard worker and a team leader at 17 years of age? Rare.

The issue is only whether you could have got him later, have your cake (Buium) and eat it too. Which is easier said then done I guess.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I like everything about Luchanko's game. How often do you hear about a player who is possibly the smartest player in the draft, also among the fastest, a hard worker and a team leader at 17 years of age? Rare.

The issue is only whether you could have got him later, have your cake (Buium) and eat it too. Which is easier said then done I guess.

Yeah, I wonder if teams weren't interested in 32, 36 and a player in that 18-25 range.

Or maybe the price to move up was too high. 

I think they needed to scramble after Catton and Dickenson were off the board.

Just me speculating though I have no sources or knowledge. 

Just reading Danny's body language. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Add this to nearly $35 million in cap space and they're going the Chicago Blackhawks route of rebuild.

Sure minus all the great picks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is in no way as bad as Steve Eminger for the pick used for Carllson bad. 

Oh my gosh that name gives me nightmares.  I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Reminds me of Sharp for Ellison.  Another doozy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Doesn't take Hercule Pirot to figure out the Flyers are week down the middle.

Got a guy with a bad back,  an under achiever, a left winger and Ryan Poeling down the middle, plus no one pushing from LHV. 

It's not a secret.

The team needs Centermen. 

oh I agree, and you are correct, but to announce that before the draft that they WILL be leaning towards  'C' was a bit of a head scratcher....would have liked to see a little more  subterfuge from Danny, like if he openly touted how deep the 'D' men were in this draft....This is one example where I'm surprised he didn't spout the old cliche: "We're going to take the best player regardless of position..." you get my point 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flyerdog said:

Maybe don't be Chuck Fletcher sitting on your hands and call them? When Buium fell to 12 there had to be teams interested.

Pretty sure everyone and his mother knows Philly needs centres.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This.

The trade of 12 feels like Carlson. 

The reach feels like Hextall and Jay O'Brien.

It'll be interesting to see how Buium turns out knowing we could have had him. 

Luchenko isn't O'Brien. This kid is a damn good hockey player. I was disappointed we didn't grab Buium when he fell to us, but I like Luchenko. Just think we could have added another asset and traded back more.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He will go good with Michkov. He's a very likeable player who does everything right. Even good on faceoffs. I'm just not sure passing on Buium when he fell into our lap was the move to make. The chance of that extra 3rd being the clincher is slim. Buium is also very young (this is a huge plus for both of them) so the upside was there as well. 

I'm far from hating on this pick. I really like the player and do think he could turn into something. I just felt, again, we had an elite talent fall into our lap but passed on it this time. Buium has top pairing potential. Luchanko should turn out to be a good player, but IF the Flyers ever become a contender, rolling out Luchanko as our #1 centre going up against the likes of prime Celebrini/Bedard/Hughes/Carlsson/Beniers/Cozens etc...I mean THAT'S what he's going to be competing against.

I guess theres always next years mid-first round pick to look forward to.  🙄

• Like 1