NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, yes that goes without saying.

Even with all these precautions, the poor bastard is still almost certainly gonna come down with a rare Ebola strain halfway through his rookie season.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzhylQFUKlybLJ8gJHCKayF-ZONLnA5MppvA&s

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok doc...this may be the wrong Jett....again...but this song does relate to my relationship with the Flyers. 🤣

I Love..When They Reach For Their First Round Draft Picks.

49 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I Love..When They Reach For Their First Round Draft Picks.

I love when they continue to think that barely missing the playoffs and drafting 12th is the best road forward.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I love when they continue to think that barely missing the playoffs and drafting 12th is the best road forward.

Again, they can't get out of their own way. They consider tanking a failure, and not the chance to revamp and revive their franchise, with a potential superstar player.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

See. You start to look at the little things and instead of being a middling player, you're seeing a player with an elite-like skill set at 17. This is a really talented kid who's scratching the surface of what he can do. 

mini-McCartney is on it!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You're not married, are you?

Pretty sure you have to be an ancient relic (which is why I figured you of all people would get it)...but it was a play on the whole Paul is Dead thing. That album cover was thought to continue the shenanigans....the Flowers arraigned as if it was a Funeral.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Pretty sure you have to be an ancient relic (which is why I figured you of all people would get it)...but it was a play on the whole Paul is Dead thing. That album cover was thought to continue the shenanigans....the Flowers arraigned as if it was a Funeral.

and don't forget that the conspiracy theorists insisted that a look-alike imposter replaced the supposedly dead Paul McCartney....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

ancient relic (which is why I figured you of all people would get it)

Lol funny! Nicely played, my friend

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, flyerdog said:

the conspiracy theorists insisted that a look-alike imposter replaced the supposedly dead Paul McCartney....

image.jpeg

• Haha 4

Scott Wheeler's top 100 prospects outside the NHL just came out on the Athletic.

Celebrini, Michkov, Demidov, Levshunov,Buium in that order. Helenius is 22, Bonk is 50, Luchanko is not even on the list. I'm sure it will look vastly different in next year's ranking...but interesting to see that Buium, according to him, is the FIFTH best prospect not in the NHL and Luchanko is not even number 100. It just says Buium is way way way ahead of Luchanko now, but hope the Flyers Delorean has enough plutonium to go far enough in the future to predict this massive leap in development for Luchanko. Again, not a knock on him. But we are talking several tiers of talent difference here.

It's not about of it was a reach to pick him. It's about who they said no to. And I understand about same agent as quitter and so forth. But just interesting he's ranked as the fifth best after Celebrini and the Russians...or Russian speaking in Levshunovs case.

Edited by ctid

28 minutes ago, ctid said:

Scott Wheeler's top 100 prospects outside the NHL just came out on the Athletic.

Celebrini, Michkov, Demidov, Levshunov,Buium in that order. Helenius is 22, Bonk is 50, Luchanko is not even on the list. I'm sure it will look vastly different in next year's ranking...but interesting to see that Buium, according to him, is the FIFTH best prospect not in the NHL and Luchanko is not even number 100. It just says Buium is way way way ahead of Luchanko now, but hope the Flyers Delorean has enough plutonium to go far enough in the future to predict this massive leap in development for Luchanko. Again, not a knock on him. But we are talking several tiers of talent difference here.

It's not about of it was a reach to pick him. It's about who they said no to. And I understand about same agent as quitter and so forth. But just interesting he's ranked as the fifth best after Celebrini and the Russians...or Russian speaking in Levshunovs case.

I think the flux capacitor didn't emit enough gigawatts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ctid said:

...but interesting to see that Buium, according to him, is the FIFTH best prospect not in the NHL and Luchanko is not even number 100. It just says Buium is way way way ahead of Luchanko now, but hope the Flyers Delorean has enough plutonium to go far enough in the future to predict this massive leap in development for Luchanko.

Image result for back to the future

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, ctid said:

Again, not a knock on him. But we are talking several tiers of talent difference here.

I don't think this ranking is particularly shocking. They didn't pick Luchadore to come in and be an impact player next season. They're looking 2-3 years down the line on it, so it will be more instructive if he's not on the top 100 list in the next couple years.

If they wanted "NHL talent rightnow" they would have taken a different pick.

I'm not saying he's going to pan out as a solid top six center, but I'm also not saying he won't. Regardless, it wasn't going to be next year.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

If they wanted "NHL talent rightnow" they would have taken a different pick.

If you want NHL talent right now, you pick in the top 2 or 3 picks. I don't think anyone we picked was playing next season, no matter who they took.

Highly unlikely players picked where we pick make the NHL their first few years.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Highly unlikely players picked where we pick make the NHL their first few years.

Joel Farabee, drafted at #14 overall in 2018, made his NHL debut in 2019 has all of 5 AHL games on his record.

Travis Konecny 24OA in 2015 makes his NHL debut in 2016 and never played in the A.

Giroux (22Oa) and York (14) both had more NHL than AHL games in their first few seasons.

Laughton (20OA) had five NHL games in his draft year.

It happens... Tends to happen more often with the Flyers (see: Patrick, Nolan).

Won't particularly surprise me if the guys taken 12 and 14 this year play in the NHL this season.

Wasn't the focus of the Flyers' draft.

• Like 2

Ya, I meant playing full time...and I also meant teams who know how to develop their players...not a team that decides what kind of player they want and try and make one into that.

Giroux was 4 years after his draft to play full time. Farabee got 52 games in 2 years after his draft. Konecny was full time 2 years after his. Laughton was 4 years after his draft to full time. And yes, the Flyers tend to rush their 1st rounders. And also yes, Buium and Helenius are both pretty damn close to NHL ready.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Buium and Helenius are both pretty damn close to NHL ready.

But do the Flyers need or want "NHL ready" players rightnow? I don't think you they do.

Burning two years - or an entire - ELC while the team is treading water doesn't appeal to me. Might not appeal to Briere.

If they get a "breakout" Luchadore starting his NHL ELC at 19, what's the harm?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

But do the Flyers need or want "NHL ready" players rightnow? I don't think you they do.

Burning two years - or an entire - ELC while the team is treading water doesn't appeal to me. Might not appeal to Briere.

If they get a "breakout" Luchadore starting his NHL ELC at 19, what's the harm?

In no way do I want to rush players, never have. I've always said its better to let them play out their junior and a year in the A at least, unless you're a superstar (which there hasn't exactly been a pipeline of that into the Flyers org.) I just want the best talent. I just hope Briere got this right, cause not many think he did. 

WTF is a Luchadore? 😁