NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

2 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Well, Luuu-CHENK-Ohhhh is the sound the puck makes flying off his stick, deflecting off the crossbar and in, crowd is amazed.  :pyramiddance:

Let’s hope it’s not LUUUUB-chenk-oooo and that sound is his leg flying off and hitting the crossbar. 

• Haha 1

Ok ...moved some posts around. (Thread was getting messy to read as many topics were infused in this discussion)  Try to keep this thread related to Jett Luchanko only.

thanks,

~doc

• pilldoc unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Ok ...moved some posts around. (Thread was getting messy to read as many topics were infused in this discussion)  Try to keep this thread related to Jett Luchanko only.

thanks,

~doc

Thank you for your service doc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ctid said:

Perhaps Luchanko is not that big a reach at 13 and over Helenius and maybe being the best center after Lindstrom and Catton (ignoring all things Buium). 

So he was one month away from being 2025 draft eligible, and scored roughly the same amount of points in the same league as Misa, who is considered a potential top 10 in the very deep 2025 draft. He outscored Beckett Sennecke who went third. Considering these two points, I'm not too worried about Luchanko's production level. It seems at a very good pace for his age. Which brings me to the point, that barring that month, he could be "considered" to be a potential top 15 talent in the deep 2025 draft if he develops at this pace, but we got him in the 2024 draft instead.

Just trying to find the positives here.

The guy is a very good player. He's one of the youngest in the draft, with plenty of skill and a great motor. I think he's a great pick towards the middle of the draft. Pretty sure most of us are going to like Luchanko as a Flyer. 

The problem is the Flyers need elite, the kind you get at the top of the draft. That's nothing against the player. Just the way the teams being "rebuilt".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ctid said:

And you did very well...

as long as he is a piece of winning a Cup i'm not going to squabble where they found him just happy they did...

...now back to drinking.

:beer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ctid said:

Perhaps Luchanko is not that big a reach at 13 and over Helenius and maybe being the best center after Lindstrom and Catton (ignoring all things Buium). 

So he was one month away from being 2025 draft eligible, and scored roughly the same amount of points in the same league as Misa, who is considered a potential top 10 in the very deep 2025 draft. He outscored Beckett Sennecke who went third. Considering these two points, I'm not too worried about Luchanko's production level. It seems at a very good pace for his age. Which brings me to the point, that barring that month, he could be "considered" to be a potential top 15 talent in the deep 2025 draft if he develops at this pace, but we got him in the 2024 draft instead.

I was about to post the same thing. Some of your post was word for word with my thoughts (not necessarily a good thing...lol). 

Just to add...that Guelph team is terrible. 2 other Storm were drafted and neither are on the top pp, one looks like a stay at home d man...3rd and 5th rd picks. 

The guy Luch sets up, the trigger man has 37 goals going into his 5th year...and is undrafted. 74 pts for a kid who was 16 yrs old this time last yr? With literally no help? Playing against every elite checker the OHL has to offer? 

We certainly ARE underselling this kid. On a better team, with respectable linemates...add 15-20 pts to his total. That's +90 ish pts for a 17 year old. If he gets 90-95 pts what is his draft position? 

Surprised nobody has posted you tube highlights...they were impressive! 

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I was about to post the same thing. Some of your post was word for word with my thoughts (not necessarily a good thing...lol). 

Just to add...that Guelph team is terrible. 2 other Storm were drafted and neither are on the top pp, one looks like a stay at home d man...3rd and 5th rd picks. 

The guy Luch sets up, the trigger man has 37 goals going into his 5th year...and is undrafted. 74 pts for a kid who was 16 yrs old this time last yr? With literally no help? Playing against every elite checker the OHL has to offer? 

We certainly ARE underselling this kid. On a better team, with respectable linemates...add 15-20 pts to his total. That's +90 ish pts for a 17 year old. If he gets 90-95 pts what is his draft position? 

Surprised nobody has posted you tube highlights...they were impressive! 

See. You start to look at the little things and instead of being a middling player, you're seeing a player with an elite-like skill set at 17. This is a really talented kid who's scratching the surface of what he can do. 

• Like 4

Before anyone can counter my reference to Luch getting more pts on a better team....yes, I'm aware he's not getting guaranteed top pp time on a better team. One of the things I gleaned from his highlights was his effortless offensive zone entry...he made it look like hot knife through butter kinda stuff...so I feel hes the 4th forward on a better teams pp regardless. Silky smooth zone entries matter!

• Like 1

One thing good about a non top 5 pick.... 😆

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-forward-jett-luchanko-to-three-year-entry-level-contract

Flyers Sign Forward Jett Luchanko to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they signed center Jett Luchanko to a three-year entry-level contract, according to General Manager Daniel Brière.

24FLY_Signing_Luchanko_2568x1444

ByPhiladelphia Flyers
@NHLFlyers philadelphiaflyers.com
July 06, 2024

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they signed center Jett Luchanko to a three-year entry-level contract, according to General Manager Daniel Brière.

Luchanko was the Flyers’ first round pick (13th overall) in the 2024 NHL Draft.

Luchanko, 17 (8/21/06), collected 74 points (20g-54a) in 68 regular season games with the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The 6-foot-0, 188-pound forward led the team in assists and points, tied for third in shorthanded goals, ranked fifth in goals, and sixth in power-play goals. He also tallied three assists in four playoff games for Guelph this season. He was awarded the William Hanley Trophy for the OHL’s most sportsmanlike player.

Over his two seasons with Guelph, the right-shot forward amassed 88 points (25g-63a) in 114 career games in the OHL. He has four assists in 10 career playoff games with Guelph.

Internationally, the native of London, Ontario represented Team Canada in the 2024 Under-18 World Junior Championship, posting two goals and five assists for seven points in seven games to win a gold medal.

• Like 2

@flyercanuck

@BobbyClarkeFan16

@jammer2

I'm slowly warming up to the kid .....    from:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5621182/2024/07/06/philadelphia-flyers-sign-jett-luchanko/

Luchanko has elite-level speed for a junior and is viewed as a cerebral two-way centerman, he’s also a physical specimen, if you can even use that term for a 17-year-old, judging from his numbers at the NHL combine in Buffalo in early June.

Luchanko, who ranked fifth in body fat percentage (7.2 percent) among the more than 100 prospects who took part, ranked in the top 10 in several categories. It raised his profile headed into the draft and landed him in Philadelphia, where he signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flyers on Saturday.

“That was something I did to try and get an edge on everyone else who was kind of just sitting at home,” Luchanko said of establishing a workout routine at an early age. “For me, I’ve always enjoyed the fitness side of things and it’s something I’ve always taken very seriously. At the same time, I’ve always kind of grown up being one of the more faster, stronger guys. I think it’s a little bit of natural abilities, as well.”

Compared to his Draft Bio ...he is already bigger than what was written about him.  His Draft Bio has him listed at 5'10" @ 165 lbs.  He has apparently grew a lot because the Flyers this past weekend now have him listed as 6' 0" @ 188 lbs.  The kid is only going to continue growing.  Realistically he could top out around 6'1" or 6'2" and around 200 lbs.  That certainly would give him the bulk to play Center in the NHL.

The Flyers do expect him to improve, of course. Luchanko managed 74 points (20 goals, 54 assists) in 68 games with OHL Guelph last season, but club brass sees room for more.

And, of course, Luchanko does, too. He mentioned that among the areas of his game he’d like to improve is his shot — in quality and quantity.

“The biggest thing for me is my shot, and when to use it, when to not,” he said. “I’ve always kind of been a pass-first kind of player, so if I can be kind of more of a dual threat it only opens up the passing game more, and I can be a more dangerous player if I can work on different ways to shoot, different ways to get in those areas and different ways to score.”

Everywhere I read the kid is super QUICK. Incredible in transition, he can turn a play from defense to offense in a stride. Others say he has a brilliant hockey mind, plays a strong two-way game, and possesses a non-stop motor that allows him to be in the right places to make the right plays.

https://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-flyers-draft-jett-luchanko-13th-overall-2024-nhl-draft/

So yeah ....while I personally might have wanted Buium.  I "get"  this pick from DB's point of view.  Very curious how he makes a jump in Junior's this year ......

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@flyercanuck

@BobbyClarkeFan16

@jammer2

I'm slowly warming up to the kid .....    from:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5621182/2024/07/06/philadelphia-flyers-sign-jett-luchanko/

Luchanko has elite-level speed for a junior and is viewed as a cerebral two-way centerman, he’s also a physical specimen, if you can even use that term for a 17-year-old, judging from his numbers at the NHL combine in Buffalo in early June.

Luchanko, who ranked fifth in body fat percentage (7.2 percent) among the more than 100 prospects who took part, ranked in the top 10 in several categories. It raised his profile headed into the draft and landed him in Philadelphia, where he signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flyers on Saturday.

“That was something I did to try and get an edge on everyone else who was kind of just sitting at home,” Luchanko said of establishing a workout routine at an early age. “For me, I’ve always enjoyed the fitness side of things and it’s something I’ve always taken very seriously. At the same time, I’ve always kind of grown up being one of the more faster, stronger guys. I think it’s a little bit of natural abilities, as well.”

Compared to his Draft Bio ...he is already bigger than what was written about him.  His Draft Bio has him listed at 5'10" @ 165 lbs.  He has apparently grew a lot because the Flyers this past weekend now have him listed as 6' 0" @ 188 lbs.  The kid is only going to continue growing.  Realistically he could top out around 6'1" or 6'2" and around 200 lbs.  That certainly would give him the bulk to play Center in the NHL.

The Flyers do expect him to improve, of course. Luchanko managed 74 points (20 goals, 54 assists) in 68 games with OHL Guelph last season, but club brass sees room for more.

And, of course, Luchanko does, too. He mentioned that among the areas of his game he’d like to improve is his shot — in quality and quantity.

“The biggest thing for me is my shot, and when to use it, when to not,” he said. “I’ve always kind of been a pass-first kind of player, so if I can be kind of more of a dual threat it only opens up the passing game more, and I can be a more dangerous player if I can work on different ways to shoot, different ways to get in those areas and different ways to score.”

Everywhere I read the kid is super QUICK. Incredible in transition, he can turn a play from defense to offense in a stride. Others say he has a brilliant hockey mind, plays a strong two-way game, and possesses a non-stop motor that allows him to be in the right places to make the right plays.

https://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-flyers-draft-jett-luchanko-13th-overall-2024-nhl-draft/

So yeah ....while I personally might have wanted Buium.  I "get"  this pick from DB's point of view.  Very curious how he makes a jump in Junior's this year ......

When Luciano started the year, he was 157 pounds. The fact he's put on 31 pound in a year was a clear sign to me that he was going through a growth spurt (my 10 year old grew five inches and put on 45 pounds during his last growth spurt and he's gone from men's size 8 to size 11 shoes). Luchanko will probably top out at 6'1 when he reaches the NHL. That's a good size for a center, especially with his speed and tenacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Luchanko will probably top out at 6'1 when he reaches the NHL. That's a good size for a center, especially with his speed and tenacity.

He's projecting very much like a bigger, faster, smarter, better Mike Richards. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So a second line center, who won't win a Cup until he leaves here?

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

When Luciano started the year, he was 157 pounds. The fact he's put on 31 pound in a year was a clear sign to me that he was going through a growth spurt (my 10 year old grew five inches and put on 45 pounds during his last growth spurt and he's gone from men's size 8 to size 11 shoes). Luchanko will probably top out at 6'1 when he reaches the NHL. That's a good size for a center, especially with his speed and tenacity.

He's going to be 18 in a few weeks, so the odds of gaining two more inches in height are really really low, unless he gets on an hgh regimen. Also... 31 pounds in a year? From a guy who already was leading an active lifestyle... I'm not going to out-and-out say it, but... Yeah...

23 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So keep him away from the Oxy then ....:ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Yes, that and Porsches etc etc

..and partying involving alcohol, especially in Margate and Sea Isle, New Jersey.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And the Flyers medical staff!

Lol, yes that goes without saying.

Even with all these precautions, the poor bastard is still almost certainly gonna come down with a rare Ebola strain halfway through his rookie season.

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1