NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question: Do you like the pick?

• A resounding YES
    • Meh - Its OK
    • A resounding NO
    • To early to tell

(Thread will unlock once the Draft begins)

With the 12th overall Pick the Flyers select ......... Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Edited by pilldoc

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL Draft: Round #1 (12th Overall) Flyers select Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

I'll give him a chance but this doesn't look that good, at first glance. Not when he projects to be 3rd line center, and you moved down only one plus only got a 3rd in addition. 

I love it!!!! He was dynamite in Guelph. He was lights out and a leader at the under 18 tournament. He doesn't turn 18 until August, so we'll REALLY get to see how he performs as an 18 year old. He's also an incredibly smart player all ready. I've watched a lot and you know who he reminds me? A better skating Mike Richards. This is a really good pick. They're probably going to go with Sahlin-Wallenius at the end of round one.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Flyers....still smarter than everyone else at the draft.  🤨

At least he's fast. 

Hopefully, he's not the next Matt Read. He was fast too.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I love it!!!! He was dynamite in Guelph. He was lights out and a leader at the under 18 tournament. He doesn't turn 18 until August, so we'll REALLY get to see how he performs as an 18 year old. He's also an incredibly smart player all ready. I've watched a lot and you know who he reminds me? A better skating Mike Richards. This is a really good pick. They're probably going to go with Sahlin-Wallenius at the end of round one.

I will trust your insight ...but many of us are disgruntled ....

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Lofty comparison...hope you're right. 

• Like 1

With Biuim and Helenius sitting there, you'd have to think there was more available than a 3rd to trade back and STILL get Luchenko. I like the player, but this is a reach. Very young player, one of the best at the combine. Speed to burn. Hard working and smart. But on the small side. He's got some good things, but this is boom or bust. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

(Thread will unlock once the Draft begins)

With the 12th overall Pick the Flyers select ......... Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL)

image.gif.ae219a4a31fb4b39616fc6b87d9722b8.gif

Danny is loading up for the 2025 draft , which by most accounts is much deeper, he now has 11 picks in 2025, and has said that he expects the team to take a step backwards this season (hint hint 🙂 ) 

Edited by flyerdog

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Great name, teen girl mojo thinks he's hot...

So there is that

It is a great name. I think he's going to be a good middle six player. I'm just not sure that's a good pick with what was still sitting on board. 

• Like 1

I am not an expert on the kids like some of our Canadian posters and I trust @flyercanuck.  All I know is I get nervous when the Flyers draft a guy that no one else saw going in that slot, like Morin.

Picking up an extra 3rd in 2025 is not a rebuild.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It is a great name. I think he's going to be a good middle six player. I'm just not sure that's a good pick with what was still sitting on board. 

I wonder if the top tier players the Flyers wanted went before they picked.

If all the guys they were high on were gone, then maybe get the guy you have rated in the late teens but would be gone by 32

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

If all the guys they were high on were gone, then maybe get the guy you have rated in the late teens but would be gone by 32

I'd bet my left nut Dickinson would be a Flyer had SJ not picked him. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Man,  I hope you're right. 

Right now i still view it as Briere's version of the John Carlson pick trade

• Like 1

Maybe they were caught off-guard, and Montreal lied saying they weren't going to take Demidov. Who knows? This is just a serious reach, and I really hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I just think if you're going this route you should trade back further. This doesn't fill our need for elite talent. This is depth. It's a great pick if you're a top 10 team. We aren't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I just think if you're going this route you should trade back further. This doesn't fill our need for elite talent. This is depth. It's a great pick if you're a top 10 team. We aren't.

true , but you have to have a trade partner..maybe MIN was the only one calling?

TBH I don't understand why Danny B said openly that he is looking for centers pre-draft, why did he tip his hand? Seems like a major faux-pas 

Edited by flyerdog

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This.

The trade of 12 feels like Carlson. 

The reach feels like Hextall and Jay O'Brien.