2024 NHL Draft: Live Draft Thread Discussion

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'm inexplicably out of reactions, because this is something worth limiting.

So, this is my like/good post.

I'm shopping Bobrovsky or Kochetkov at the start of next NAHANA season. 

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'm shopping Bobrovsky or Kochetkov at the start of next NAHANA season. 

Tell you what. I'll do you a Briere. 

Pick a flyers goalie with like your 10th round pick and I'll trade pasta or kuch for him

• Haha 1

My rankings earlier in the day for a 2nd dman were...

top 15-32 picks
17 Stian Solberg, 6 ft 2 205lbs, LHS, greatskater, two way D.

19 Adam jiricek, 6 ft 3, 182 lbs, RHS, to way D, injury history knee

22 EJ Emery, 6 ft 3, 183 lbs, RHS, potential to become elite Shutdown D, with good puck skills. Perfect to pair with your offensive D.

30 Dominik Badinka, 6 ft 3, 185 lbs, RHS, physical, high-effort and high-intelligence NHL shut down defenseman with good skating and breakout passing

31 Charlie Elick, 6 ft 3, 202 lbs, RHS potentially top four NHL D, Shut down D with speed and physicality. little offensive potential.

top 33-60 picks

37 Alfons Freij 6 ft 1, 197 lbs, LHS Offensive D w/ high-risk play-style, can really skate & dangle, but with defensive red flags like shying away from physicality

38 Matvei Shuravin, 6 ft 4, 172 lbs, LHS, Shut-down D, strong skater, offensive potential, bad shot

41 Will Skahan, 6 ft 5, 215 lbs, LHS, physical shutdown D, very good skater, great positioning, great vision, but limited in creativity with puck, hard but inaccurate shot.

42 Henry Mews, 6 foot 0, 189 lbs, RHS, Offensive D, exceptional skater, but can unravel when faced with adversity

43 Leo Sahlin Wallenius, 6 foot 0, 180 lbs, LHS, offensive D, non-physical, inconsistent

44 Cole Hutson, 5 foot 10, 165 lbs, LHS, Great at zone entries, but avg skating/undersized puts a big question mark on him, despite tourney success and relation to Lane H.. Ranked all over the place.

47 Aron Kiviharju, 5 foot 10, 184 lbs, LHS, PMD, injury made him miss most of the season.

48 Leon Muggli, Mobile shutdown D

49 Harrison Brunicke , two-way, big & mobile, 2nd pair D

51 Adam Kleber ,6 foot 6,  physical, solid defense, some offensive instincts, good but slower skater

53 Jesse Pulkkinen, Overager, Offensive D, good skater, error prone (but improving)

54 Daniil Ustinkov, defensive D, good passer, no red flags

59 Veeti Vaisanen, defensive D, exceptional skater, some hidden offensive potential

60 Ben Danford, shutdown D

Now I only want a RHD. We have Mukh and Dickenson on Lhd

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What's his deal?

Would be top prospect who has fallen out of favor because.....?

One dimensional goal scorer. No defense or anything else 

• Good Post 2

Eiserman last year was the consensus #2 after Celebrini. 

Ok.

Then perhaps he falls all the way down to the 4th round when the Bolts pick for the first time, and they end up 'fixing' a project player, at a steal of a contract, that will help them compliment Kuch and Point. :) 

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ok.

Then perhaps he falls all the way down to the 4th round when the Bolts pick for the first time, and they end up 'fixing' a project player, at a steal of a contract, that will help them compliment Kuch and Point. :) 

Eiserman will be with Barzal now eh?

This could work

Eiserman will be with Barzal now eh?

This could work

Patrick Roy will pull one of those Stanley Cup rings he has buried in his ears, wave it in front of Eiserman, and BAM! he starts playing some defense!!

Ironic that a guy like that goes to a team that prides itself on good defensive work...

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Patrick Roy will pull one of those Stanley Cup rings he has buried in his ears, wave it in front of Eiserman, and BAM! he starts playing some defense!!

Ironic that a guy like that goes to a team that prides itself on good defensive work...

Might scare Eiserman with all that ear wax buildup on the ring…gross…

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Might scare Eiserman with all that ear wax buildup on the ring…gross…

Well then...

If he is too scared of a bit of earwax to be able to win a Cup, then he probably doesn't belong in the NHL after all :shifty: 

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'm drunk and I want to go to sleep.

But I can't help watching to see if thr sharks trade up for EJ Emery or Elick

You're one of the few drunks who actually DOESN'T fall right to sleep.

Most usually fall out after awhile :bigteeth: 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:56 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Not once have I seen Dickenson outside the top 8 either.

Levshunov, Demidov and Silayev are all usually top 6 with Dickenson.

Buium and Parekh hovering between 6 and 10 on most lists.

Yakemchuk flies around between 6th and 12th most times.

Jiricek was more highly rated before his injury.

For off board forwards.

Sennecke's stock rising fast. No way Iginla gets past Calgary.

I didn't think sennecke stock would rise to 3rd

On 5/16/2024 at 3:35 PM, RonJeremy said:

Over the years I have found that as you get closer to the draft, writers like Dreger and Button usually have an accurate list of who the team's are picking. I would love to somehow get Dickinson and pair him with Bonk.

Sharks moving up to 11 seems psychic somehow now 

On 5/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, pilldoc said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-luchanko-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ 

image.png.8abe6951f0ee6864865ae7163e5381ae.png

Every draft, there are always a handful of players that surprise and makes their way into the first round. Last year, it was Easton Cowan. This year, Guelph Storm centre Jett Luchanko definitely could find himself as a first round pick as a result of his work ethic and tenacity. 

Luchanko led the Storm in scoring in his sophomore season, finishing with 74 points (top 30 in league scoring) in 68 games, a 1.09 point per game rate. While it may not seem like high-end production considering he had 14 points all of last season. Without Matthew Poitras, he was able to answer the call and take a massive step forward and prove that he can keep up and excel against tough competition. To have that responsibility, production and a smart two-way game at 17 years old is impressive.  

Luchanko’s main attributes are his work ethic and his smarts, which is evident in the recent OHL coach’s poll where he was voted in the top three as the smartest and hardest working player from the Western Conference. Even his on-ice testing before CHL Top Prospects game shows the skill that he has, scoring very well. He possesses great smarts, a high-end drive and motor every time he’s on the ice. He shows no fear and is always displaying a willingness to constantly battle in the tough areas. He needs to add more strength to his game, but that tenacity in addition to his speed always makes him a thorn in the side of the opposition to break up plays and force a turnover. 

Offensively, Luchanko is a very silky-smooth playmaker, driving the play every time and displaying great hands in tight spaces and high traffic areas. He has great speed and agility and has a very strong first few steps in order to create separation quickly to get out of high-pressure situations. Even when in that spot, he’s very calm and shows no panic. 

Luchanko is a very deceptive puck distributor. When you think he’s going to shoot, he quickly looks off for a pass fooling both defenders and goaltenders. He easily draws players in to open things up and can connect with his teammates easily, be it with cross seams or making quick give-and-go plays. He plays at a fast pace and combined with his speed, edgework, puck skills and control, he’s hard to contain in transition or when attacking the offensive zone. If he wants to be a dual threat, he needs to work on his shot and make better decisions with his shot selection. Though, he does a great job to get in tight on goalies and finish off plays with his hands and skill.

Luchanko has a very strong defensive game when he doesn’t have the puck. That same aggressive and tenacious mindset with the puck allows him to close gaps quickly and be engaged with his stick to make a timely lift and break up plays. He’s always in motion, scanning and anticipating where the puck is going to be to put himself in a great spot to engage in battle and regain possession. He provides great puck support for his teammates and is always in position to help out in a play.

Compared to other players in the OHL, Luchanko is definitely flying under the radar. The upside he has is undeniable as a lot of the quality teams look for is there. 

NHL Draft Projection
Ideally, Luchanko is a lock to be a second-round pick in this year’s draft. While he may not have first-round production, he definitely has the skillset and smarts in order to be one. Which is why if there’s a team that has him high on their list, there should be no hesitation to select him as a late first-round selection as he’s a reliable player with great skill to his game. 

Quotables
“There’s enough skill to make him worth the first-round bet, but the combination of raw athletic ability, high motor, solid skating and defensive acumen makes Luchanko an easy-to-project player.” – Hadi Kalakeche, Dobber Prospects 

“Luchanko’s got the speed, the tenacity, the skill, and the IQ to be a top six center at the NHL level. He’s also a committed two-way player and has kept up the strong off puck play that he exhibited last year, despite being counted upon to be an offensive play driver.” – Brock Otten, McKeen’s/ OHL Prospects

Strengths 
High motor and energy
Work ethic and competitive
Great skating speed and strong edgework
Strong two-way vision
Playmaking awareness

Under Construction- Improvements to Make
Improve shot selection and power
Build on strong offensive production
Add more strength

NHL Potential
Luchanko’s ceiling could project him as a highly skilled, two-way centreman with top-six potential. Even if he’s a middle-six player, he’s one that you can rely on in any situation and his speed could be an asset on the penalty-kill to try and generate some offense as well. There’s a lot that still needs to happen for him to get to that point, but the skill and awareness is already evident in his game that can get him there quicker. His development path and skillset feel very similar to that of Poitras as they both play with speed and are both skilled passers.

Risk- Reward Analysis

Risk- 2/5, Reward 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense- 6/10, Defense 7/10

Awards/ Achievements
Luchanko won a silver medal at the 2023 U17 World Hockey Challenge, playing for Canada Red

==========================================

I would be a bit concerened at his size.  No doubt he can add bulk as  he grows.  That would be a concern but nothing to go nuclear like the nitwits on Twitter/X or any  other social media site,

Bookmark this dude. He called it