Could the Jets trade Rutger McGroarty ?

WINNIPEG JETS

32 Thoughts Podcast | Winnipeg Jets prospect Rutger McGroarty’s name has come up in trade conversations

Big news this AM from Friedman.

Bit of a Saturday news bombshell from Elliotte Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcast which was released this morning. He and Jeff Marek were chatting on it and the subject of the Jets 2022 1st rounder Rutger McGorarty was brought up by the insider. He had this to say:

“So I’m gonna be really careful here Jeff because there’s are a lot of answers I don’t have. His family advisor is not talking and the Jets are not talking but the one thing I can tell you is that I have heard his name has come up in trade discussions.

That the Jets have discussed trading and other teams have discussed acquiring McGroarty’s rights.

Now you’ll remember a few months ago after the NCAA season McGroarty announced he was going back to Michigan for his junior year and the Jets have his rights for two more years.

And again I’m not gonna guess on anything here but I’m simply going to say that I’ve heard his name has come up in trade conversations.

So we’ll see where this all goes over the next couple of weeks. He’s a good player and he would be coveted.”

Might this become a way the Jets get back into the 1st round of the 2024 draft?

Rumor is that his camp and Jets Camp are not talking, and he's not long for signing in the Peg...

Has not yet signed his ELC , and could be moved in a draft day deal.

• 1 month later...

Source: Jets trade Rutger McGroarty to Penguins for Brayden Yager

• shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen Shilton, ESPN NHL reporterAug 22, 2024, 01:55 PM ET

The Winnipeg Jets and Pittsburgh Penguins swapped top prospects in a significant trade, with the Jets sending forward Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for forward Brayden Yager, a source confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

McGroarty, 20, was selected 14th overall by Winnipeg in the 2022 NHL draft; Yager was picked in the same slot -- No. 14 -- by Pittsburgh in 2023.

Rutger McGroarty had 16 goals and 52 points in 36 games for the Michigan Wolverines last season and was an All-Big Ten first-team selection. 

The Jets had failed to sign McGroarty to an entry-level contract after he expressed concern about what a future in Winnipeg might look like for him, and general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff had been looking for a trade partner since.

McGroarty, a Nebraska native, had already declared in April his intent to return to the University of Michigan for the upcoming 2024-25 season. He had 16 goals and 52 points in 36 games for the Wolverines last season. The trade to Pittsburgh could change McGroarty's timeline, however, as he's already inked an entry-level deal with the Penguins, the source said.

In return for McGroarty, Winnipeg has acquired a promising asset from Pittsburgh.

Yager, 19, a two-way center with good finish who can play in all situations, just inked his own entry-level contract with the Penguins in July. That came on the heels of him helping the Moose Jaw Warriors win the WHL championship last season on the strength of a 95-point regular season and a dominant 27-point showing in the playoffs.

It's likely McGroarty is closer to appearing in the NHL than Yager, and that's good news for the Penguins, who failed to reach the postseason in consecutive years and could use an influx of young talent.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound McGroarty plays a heavy game with a solid mix of skill and speed. At Michigan, he was a Hobey Baker nominee and earned slots on the All-Big Ten first team and the All-Big Ten tournament team.

Sportsnet was first to report the deal.