Hronek 8 yrs, $58 Million

Hronek signs 8-year, $58 million contract with Canucks

Defenseman had career-high 48 points this season, could have become free agent July 1

van-hronek-contract

© Codie McLachlan/Getty Images

ByNHL.com

Filip Hronek signed an eight-year, $58 million contract with the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. It has an average annual value of $7.25 million.

The 26-year-old defenseman had an NHL career-high 48 points (five goals, 43 assists) and was plus-33 in 81 games for the Canucks this season. He also had two points (one goal, one assist) in 13 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Hronek could have become a restricted free agent July 1.

“This was something that we have talked with Filip and his agent Allan Walsh [about] for quite a time here, and I think although we had his rights for another year, I think this was important for our team knowing his contract number leading forward and also a younger defenseman on the right side that we feel that we can continue to work with," Canucks general manager Patrik Allvin said.

"I think there is more to come there, so it definitely was important for us to get Filip locked up here, and when he expressed his interest of wanting to stay in Vancouver and be part of this group for long term, we were extremely pleased to get it over the finish line here.”

Selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round (No. 53) of the 2016 NHL Draft, Hronek has 205 points (35 goals, 170 assists) in 390 regular-season games for the Canucks and Red Wings.

Hronek, who was acquired in a trade with the Red Wings on March 1, 2023, flourished this season on the first defense pair with Quinn Hughes.

"I believe that he has another level to get to and I believe that he's capable of getting to another level and finding his consistency more," Allvin said. "I think he's a very competitive player, skates well. He moves the puck well and he is a guy that fits well in our dressing room here.”

Hronek helped the Canucks (50-23-9) finish first in the Pacific Division. It was their first division title since 2013 and an improvement of 12 wins and 26 points from 2022-23.

Too much too soon, IMHO.

I like hronek solid player but he is not worth 7 million plus. He is a spear carrier not a warrior, albeit a very good spear carrier. 

• Like 2

Totally. Still not a Nurse-like contract but it's a lot for a guy that took a huge advtantage by playing with Hughes and who didn't put more than two points in 13 play-off games. Not to mention the NMC/NTC clauses. Ouch.

• Like 2

If Filip Hronek is smart, he's buying Quinn Hughes supper every chance he gets, because the Canucks are paying Hronek in no small part because of Hughes' ability to produce and control the game. Hronek is a 2nd assist guy who is almost never a primary play driver.

I love it as a fan of a competing team in the division.

• Good Post 1

On 6/19/2024 at 4:56 AM, Brewin Flames said:

"I believe that he has another level to get to and I believe that he's capable of getting to another level and finding his consistency more," Allvin said.

Is it possible that this happens? Of course.

Is it more likely that the jump to 48 points was the "another level" from the 38-point seasons he had previously? 🤔

Generally speaking, by the time someone's 27, they've reached the "level" they will achieve. Hronek is 27 on November 2, so there's hope for "another level" in October.

:hocky: