Stars 2024 recap

PRESEASON OUTLOOK An amazing job of youth and older vets with a fantastic goalie, they were clearly expected to be on the short list of Stanley Cup contenders.

FINAL RECORD 52-21-9 113 points, won the Central division, bested the Champs from Vegas in 7 games, Took care of Colorado in six and finally lost to the Oilers in a six game contested series.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR Roope Hintz had an amazing season, and as he went so went the Stars. In 51 wins he had 28 goals, was a fantastic plus 40 (!) and 60 points, but he also appeared in 29 losses and was a minus 14 with only 2 goals. When Hintz is engaged they are near impossible to beat. When he is not, they are very ordinary.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Won the Division-Check. Beat the Champs in Vegas- check. Beat former Champs from Colorado-Check. The end of the year was amazing they won 14 of the final 16 outscoring the opponents 52-25. Just one hell of a team.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR After beating Edmonton on the road they were up 2 games to 1 and then it was over. The offense dried up and Edmonton took over the series, winning three straight to end their season.

WHAT WENT RIGHT Where to Start? Robertson had a season that was just amazing. Benn had a bounceback year and was great. Hintz was fantastic. Pavelski had a perfect swan song year. Heiskanen finally exploded offensively to go with his league best defnese. Wyatt Johnson contributed 32 goals. Duchene was the perfect veteran add. Marchment and Seguin had solid secondary offnese. Harley was great from the back end. Oettinger was solid as solid gets. Stankoven came onto the scene late and looks like the next latest and greatest. The secondary defense was anonymous but very sound. Wedgewood was surprisingly solid as a backup netminder.

WHAT WENT WRONG Postseason first, Pavvelski had a really poor postseason, so did Hintz and Duchene. Dadonov was just there, Sam steel didnt do much. Ty Dellandrea had a half a year but did not score hardly at all. Matt Murray played in 1 game and missed the rest of the season.

FREE AGENTS They have some housekeeping to do, Duchene and deadline add Tanev are UFA, they want both back and can afford them, but it would leave them cash strapped. Harley is looking at 6- 7 million per on a long term RFA deal, there are a few rumors that he may be dealt and allow Kyrou or more Texas Stars kids fight for his job. Sam Steel and Lundqvist and both RFA who will get smaller deals.

TOP PROSPECTS Jim Nill is the best drafter in the NHL and anyone who disagrees is not paying attention. He usually drafts 24-30 and has added Wyatt Johnson, Stankoven, Dellandrea,Oettinger, Robertson, Lindell, Harley and so many more. 

Stankoven is the latest and greatest he showed spark and will replace Pavelski next year. Mavric Bourque is right behind, only 22 he led the entire AHL in scoring and is a true goalscorer. Matej Blumel is a pure sniper who had 31 goals in the AHL. They are crazy high on 19 year old Christian Kyrou and he will compete for a spot in the bottom six next year with huge upside.

Easily the best drafted team in Hockey. Easily.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS Can and do they trade Harley? He is incredibly valuable, the perfect number two, but in the cap era there is always some give, he may be a casualty.

Look, i dont see a lot of questions for this team. the kids get better every year, the vets contribute, Stankoven needed a top six role and got it when Pavelski retired. I admire the shape of the organization top to bottom, great kids, great cap management, all the questions have been answered. So i guess the question is canthey win a cup, which will not be addressed until next spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a great summary !

Maybe I'm a bit too harsh but Duchene let a sweet&sour taste. He was ok most of the time, then had a terrific 1½ month or so when Marchment was injured and find good chemistry with Seguin, but he completely disappeared before the playoffs and in the postseason as well. Completely disappointed by Faksa who is gently turning into a first-round bust. Still one year with his $3.25M cap hit but then it's bye-bye.

Then, many questions to be answered this summer:

• Duchene - I would bring him back on a friendly deal but with his 60-pt season, I'm sure some other teams will give him more than his $3M-deal he signed. At that amount, it's a pass for me.
  • Lundkvist - DeBoer hates him but Lundkvist didn't really served his cause by constantly making deadly rookie mistakes while lacking physicality and grit. He will be given a qualifying offer but will likely serve as a 7th Dman. The Stars took a chance on him, it was a fail. Nevermind but losing a first rounder sucks.
  • Hakanpää - Just a heavy pylon. He won't be back IMO
  • Tanev - I've heard that both sides want a deal because the fit was great. Problem: his age and his injury record. He's true warrior and the kind of player that the Stars need in the postseason and he's right-handed. The #1 case to solve for the organization. I wouldn't go beyond a 2-year deal and/or more than $4M-ish AAV.
  • Harley - That's an interesting case. I frowned when @yave1964 mentioned him as a potential trade candidate because the Stars invested so much in him and finally get rewarded because he's the #2 Dman now in the team. But I hate the idea of having untouchable players. I still think he will re-sign with the Stars for the usual 7-8 year deal at ±$7.5M
  • Suter - Buy him out. Dallas will free $3M in cap space netto and it will avoid a potential awful season.

The prospects:

Without surprises, Stankoven made the team. Bourque won the AHL MVP award and he will/should be next to play wirth the big club. Bichsel is an interesting case. A huge physical guy that can skate and score with a great potential. There's still some mental work to do as he often wants to instigate some good ol' 1990s brawls and it's not really possible in today's hockey. He gained a lot of experience in Sweden and he's ready to take a step forward. Like Harley, I'd be patient and play him a full year in the AHL before bringing him up.

Finally, another important opsition is Öttinger's back-up. Wedgewood was ok but he has the painful trend to play great for one period and then turning into Wedgeflood. His style is really questionable and he's not a true and reliable insurance. The goal is to unload Öttinger as much as possible because he's still playing too much IMO. I'd push to get Brossoit and buying out Suter may allow that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...