Jets 2024 review

PREASEASON OUTLOOK Surprisingly good. We all have heard of the Jets and how nobody wants to play in Manitoba, How Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck were going to leave as free agents? Instead both signed long term deals late summer and the Jets were hoping to carry the momentum over into a solid season to build on. 

FINAL RECORD 52-24-6 110 points, 2nd in Central. Lost in first round in five very easy games to the Avalanche

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR The team was extraordinarilly streaky. Over the course of the regular season they had 13 timess when they were on a 3 game or longer winning or losing streak. In fact all year they only had 11 times all year that they either lost or won only one in a row. 

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Well wigning Scheifele and Hellboy was a damn good high point, wasnt it? In actuality, i would have to rate the end of the season which they won eight straight passiving Colorado and damn near catching Dallas at the end of the year. 

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR Again lots of streaks, they had a five and six game losing streaks but to me it would have to simply be the playoffs. High hopes, 52 wins, and the defense completely fell apart and Colorado and after winning a crazy 7-6 game one, they were knocked out easily from there.

WHAT WENT RIGHT Hellebuyck was brilliant going 37-19-4 with a 2.39 goals agaisnt.. Somehow Laurent Brossoit was even better at 15-5-2 with a 2.00 goals agaisnt. Great tandem. Scheifele led the team with 72 points and was fantastic. Josh Morrisey was brilliant in 2023 and even better last year. Kyle Connor started slow but led the team with 34 goals. Nikolaj Ehlers lived up to his promise and had a very fine year. I would have to rate Cole Perfetti a success, his numbers were not eye popping but he is close to letting it ruip. Villardi who came over as part of the PLD return did very well when healthy. Seconadary scoring and depth among the forwards was top notch. Pionk and Demelo were very good on the back end. 

WHAT WENT WRONG Kupari who came from the Kings was awful. Logan Stanley was given every chance and is now officially a first round bust.Nate Schmidt showed his age and looked very slow. Other than Morrisey they had no scoring from the back end all year. Toffoli came over at the deadline and didnt do much.

FREE AGENTS  Start with Monahan and Toffoli who were added at the deadline, bost cost a fair amount, both are UFA and at least one needs resigned or they have egg on their face. Brossoit is an UFA linked to Toronto and if not resigned will be missed. Demelo and Dillon were both very dependable blueliners, if both leave they are in trouble.

Perfetti, Gustafsson are both RFA and want term and money. Also with the deadline adds they traded away their first and their third round picks for the coming year.

TOP PROSPECTS Rutger McGroarty is leaving Michigan and signing with the big club, likely at least a year away but is talented. Chaz Lucius was a smart draft pick, a nice center with a great pass who might stick, he has 2C written all over him. They like Brad Lambert but he was not good in the AHL most of the year. As a winger, he might just be a slow developer but it has been written of him that he has bad habits. Ville Heinola will be given every chance to stick on the blueline, another former first rounder, he has been moving very slowly through the system, I am weary.

So i love Lucius, McGroarty though probably not either for next year. Not so much anyone else. Kupari and Gustafsson will be given deeper shows to see if they can contribute.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS Ehlers has told the team he wants out, do you trade him now before the draft for futures or wait into the season? The Jets have very little in cap space, most of the vets who are leaving will have to be repalced by cheap kids, are the kids alright? They stockpile mid to late first round picks but i havnet been thrilled with the results.

Solid season, streaky yes but streaky in a good way. Hopefully lots to build around.