βœ¨πŸ”©2024 Stanley Cup Finals: Edmonton vs Florida: Panthers Stanley Cup Champions πŸ”©βœ¨ (FLA Wins 4-3)

pilldoc

Who brings home the Cup!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who brings home the Cup!

• Oilers sweep in 4 (The Oil just obliterate the Cats)
    • Oilers in 5 (McDavid and company have there way with Bob)
    • Oilers in 6 (Cats battle the Oil but in the end McDavid proves why he is a Super Star)
    • Oilers in 7 (What a series! Canada finally wins the Cup ... McDavid given key to city and Bettman is crying!)
    • Panthers sweep in 4 (Panthers stike oil and brush aside the Oilers)
    • Panthers in 5 (Panthers experience a small hiccup but win anyway)
    • Panthers in 6 (Bob is the difference and stone both McDavid and Draisaitl)
    • Panthers in 7 (What a series! Florida denies Canada yet another Cup)
  2. 2. Who wins the Conn Smythe if Oilers win?

• Connor McDavid
    • Leon Draisaitl
    • Zach Hyman
    • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    • Stuart Skinner
    • a Panther's Player
    • Other
  3. 3. Who wins the Conn Smythe if Panthers win?

• Aleksander Barkov
    • Sergei Bobrovsky
    • Matthew Tkachuk
    • Gustav Forsling
    • Carter Verhaeghe
    • Connor McDavid
    • other

11 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

What Connor McDavid is doing is the stuff of legends. They're down 3-0 and the best player in the world puts his team on his back and forces game 6 with back-to-back 4 point nights.

Β 

He's the best hockey player I've ever seen.

Β 

McDavid has been absolutely great, for these entire playoffs. What he's done the last two games, though, is not just score points, but lead. He's raised his game to another level. He's been strong defensively too. He's been the best player on the ice in the last two games, and it's not even close.

• Like 4

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to βœ¨πŸ”©2024 Stanley Cup Finals: Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Florida Panthers (A1) πŸ”©βœ¨ (FLA Leads 3-2)
On 6/4/2024 at 6:52 PM, pilldoc said:

Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β edmatflaSCFinals.thumb.jpg.1804abffd87cb4aa8f8945d51eba5ff6.jpg

Β 

Β 

Ok folks we are in the home stretch .....

Β 

Big shout out to @TropicalFruitGirl26Β for posting all the polls this year as I attended to both family and health issues.

Β 

2024 STANLEY CUP FINALS

Florida Panthers (1A) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

• Game 1:Β Oilers at Panthers -- June 8, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • Game 2:Β Oilers at Panthers -- June 10, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • Game 3:Β Panthers at Oilers -- June 13, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • Game 4:Β Panthers at Oilers -- June 15, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • +Game 5:Β Oilers at Panthers -- June 18, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • +Game 6:Β Panthers at Oilers -- June 21, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)
  • +Game 7:Β Oilers at Panthers -- June 24, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN+, SN, CBC, TVAS)

I hope your health problems go away soon! Hoping for a clean bill of healthΒ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Β He's been the best player on the ice in the last two games, and it's not even close.

Β 

FIFY.

Β 

Theres no one in this guys league. Ineptitude by management should not factor into how you rate someones career. If the Oilers win a cup its because of how absolutely unbelievable this guy is. His assist on the game winner was as outstanding of a play as there is. If you take Barkov AND Tkachuks points (Tkachuk FINALLY showed up 5 games into the finals), COMBINED this playoffs (Floridas top 2 scorers), they're barely ahead of McDavid. 43-42. In the finals he's outscoring them combined, 11-7. And they're UP!

Β 

Most points in a final is 13. Most points in playoffs is 47.Β 

Β 

He's already the playoff MVP, no matter who wins. And he's doing it against one of the best 2 way centres in the game.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

McDavid puts Oilers β€˜on his back’ with 4 points in Game 5 to keep season alive

Has 42 this postseason, 4th most all time

Connor McDavid for Game 5 column 61824

© Peter Joneleit/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

ByNicholas J. Cotsonika
@cotsonikaΒ NHL.com Columnist

SUNRISE, Fla. --Β We are witnessing one of the greatest players of all time come up big in the biggest moments. Nothing less.

Β 

Connor McDavidΒ is making history and keeping the Edmonton Oilers alive in the Stanley Cup Final.

Β 

In a 5-3 win against the Florida Panthers in Game 5 at Amerant Bank Arena on Tuesday, the center became the first player to post two straight four-point performances in the Cup Final -- and each came while facing elimination.

Β 

The only other player with two four-point performances at any time in the Cup Final isΒ Wayne Gretzky, who had two for the Oilers in 1985.

Β 

McDavid could win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs whether the Oilers win the Cup or not.

Β 

β€œWhen we’re against the wall, he puts us on his back and he plays,” Oilers forwardΒ Corey PerryΒ said. β€œYou see why he is the best player.”

Β 

McDavid has won five scoring titles, three MVP awards and a goal-scoring title in the regular season. But this is the first time the 27-year-old has had the chance to shine in the Cup Final.

Β 

He had three assists in three games when the Oilers fell behind 3-0 in the series. Then he had a goal and three assists in an 8-1 win in Game 4 and two goals and two assists in Game 5, giving him 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in the series.

Β 

He has 42 points (eight goals, 34 assists) in the playoffs, 10 more than anyone else.

Β 

Only Gretzky andΒ Mario LemieuxΒ have had more points in a playoff run. Gretzky had 47 (17 goals, 30 assists) for the Oilers in 1985. Lemieux had 44 (16 goals, 28 assists) for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1991.

Β 

Gretzky also had 43 (12 goals, 31 assists) for the Oilers in 1988.

Β 

Asked if that was special to him, McDavid said: β€œOf course. I seem to be getting this question a lot, which is a good thing. Any time you’re compared or in the same realm as those two, it’s always a good thing. But I love playing in the playoffs.”

Β 

McDavid (1.63) has passed Lemieux (1.61) in points per game in the playoffs among players who have appeared in more than seven games. The only one ahead of him? Gretzky (1.84).

Β 

β€œKind of expect it from him, obviously,” linemate Zach Hyman said. β€œYou don’t want to put any extra pressure, but it’s what he does. He elevates his game at the most opportune times for us and he’s been great.”

Β 

What separates McDavid is how he processes the game and uses his skill at high speeds. He showed it on two plays in particular in Game 5.

image.jpg?fastly_token=Njg1M2Q0NDhfNDI3N
Β 
Β 

EDM@FLA SCF, Gm5: McDavid increases Oilers' lead in 2nd period

Β 

McDavid scored his first goal at the five-minute mark of the second period when he took the puck at the top of the left circle and curled toward the net. GoalieΒ Sergei BobrovskyΒ froze deep in his net.

Β 

McDavid spotted something, fired from a sharp angle and banked the puck in off Bobrovsky.

Β 

β€œI don’t want to give away too much,” McDavid said. β€œThere’s still hockey to be played. But coming down on that side on the goal, I’ve gone short side lots. I would say most people know that I look there. He was standing. [Hyman] is always around the net. Just tried to kind of put it there and found a way in.”

Β 

McDavid set up Perry for a power-play goal at 11:54 of the second period. He took the puck deep in the Edmonton zone with his head up, surveying the ice. Then he curled around one opponent at the blue line and split two more in the Florida zone.

Β 

β€œI’m in that position a lot, going back for pucks on the breakout, bringing it in the zone, so it’s something that I look at a lot, how certain guys are playing things,” McDavid said. β€œ[Florida defenseman Niko] Mikkola’s got a really long reach and just tried to work my way through there.”

Β 

Finally, McDavid found Perry for a backdoor tap-in.

Β 

β€œI didn’t even yell for it,” Perry said. β€œHe just saw me go to the net. That’s just the type of player he is.”

Unbelievable. Even for him.

image.jpg?fastly_token=Njg1M2Q0NTBfZDk5Z
Β 
Β 

EDM@FLA SCF, Gm5: Perry nets his 1st goal of the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs with PPG

Β 

β€œTo attack the middle like that and to pop out and slip by guys and to have the poise to then pass it over to [Perry], I mean, there’s one person in the planet that can make that play,” Oilers forwardΒ Connor BrownΒ said. β€œWe’ve got our backs against the wall and he’s shown composure. He’s shown why he has the reputation he has, and it’s growing.”

Β 

It could grow even more in Game 6 in Edmonton on Friday (8 p.m. ET; ABC, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, CBC).

Β 

β€œPlayoffs are the most fun time of the year,” McDavid said. β€œSpecial with this group. Special with our city, our fans. They make it so fun to go on these runs. I’m really excited to see the energy they bring on Friday night.”

Β 

Punt Nurse in the Alert polar station in Nunavut for the remainder of the series and replace him by anyone who can skate backwards, and the Oilers might legitimately have a shot on the upset.

I don't see anyone posting with "favorite team" being the Panthers. I can't imagine rooting for a team full of bums like that. Crush them Edmonton!

23 minutes ago, RBGordie said:

I don't see anyone posting with "favorite team" being the Panthers. I can't imagine rooting for a team full of bums like that. Crush them Edmonton!

Β 

The current fanbase is 5% of Florida fans and 95% of bandwagoners. Their barn is usually 3/4 empty during the regular season games so yeah, don't expect to have many fans around here...

Β 

(I know, as a Stars fan I'm maybe not the best person to pile sugar on them...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

Punt Nurse in the Alert polar station in Nunavut for the remainder of the series and replace him by anyone who can skate backwards, and the Oilers might legitimately have a shot on the upset.

I think Nurse is this Edmonton Oilers era version of Steve Smith.

This Edmonton Oilers fan site summarizes how much (or little, more accurately) Leon Draisaitl has contributed in this Finals. Β It acknowledges how important he’s been to get to the final round, but wonders if the Oilers can achieve the huge breakthrough of coming back from 0-3 without him doing better.

Β 

https://oilonwhyte.com/posts/time-for-leon-draisaitl-to-get-his-act-together-for-oilers

Β 

Game Six is going to be very interesting.

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

This Edmonton Oilers fan site summarizes how much (or little, more accurately) Leon Draisaitl has contributed in this Finals. Β It acknowledges how important he’s been to get to the final round, but wonders if the Oilers can achieve the huge breakthrough of coming back from 0-3 without him doing better.

Β 

https://oilonwhyte.com/posts/time-for-leon-draisaitl-to-get-his-act-together-for-oilers

Β 

Game Six is going to be very interesting.

Β 

He's clearly injured, likely quite seriously.Β 

I'm still pulling for Bobrovsky to rebound and steal the Cup. We've all heard guys say playing away from home can be an advantage...we'll see. McDavid looks unstoppable now but even after getting shellshocked early, giving up another shorty etc. the Panthers nearly made OT. I like their chances in Edmonton...not so much at home in G7.

Β 

Connor McDavid’s Stanley Cup surge blowing away fellow NHL stars: β€˜Somehow, he’s found another level’

Pierre LeBrun, Chris Johnston

EDMONTON β€” Spending the early part of his offseason in Europe, the time difference has kept Sidney Crosby from watching the Stanley Cup Final play out, but it hasn’t kept him from seeing the heights Connor McDavid is reaching on the game’s grandest stage.

Β 

Like a number of present and past NHL stars contacted by The Athletic this week, Crosby expressed admiration for the way McDavid has performed while helping his Edmonton Oilers extend their season to Friday’s Game 6 after falling behind 3-0 to the Florida Panthers.

Β 

β€œIt’s incredible what he’s doing,” said Crosby, a three-time Stanley Cup champion with the Pittsburgh Penguins who is keeping tabs on the series by watching highlights. β€œSomehow, he’s found another level. In the playoffs (that’s tough to do), especially.”

Β 

While McDavid has long since earned the respect of his peers for his unmatched speed and elite offensive instincts, he’s shown them something extra during his first run to the Cup Final.

Β 

He led the charge in Edmonton’s Game 4 and 5 victories over the Panthers and became the first player in NHL history with eight points in a two-game stretch during the championship series.

Β 

GettyImages-2066786907-scaled.jpg

Β 

Sidney Crosby on Connor McDavid’s playoff run: β€œIt’s incredible what he’s doing.” (Justin Berl / Getty Images)

Β 

β€œI think the coolest thing I admire is how calm he’s stayed down 3-0,” Colorado Avalanche star Nathan MacKinnon said. β€œNo panic in his game, and he’s taken it to another level. Very even keel and (showing) amazing leadership for his team.”

Β 

β€œHe’s a very special and fun player to watch β€” especially the past few games, where he’s elevated his game and driven his team to two wins with their backs against the wall,” added Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar, who won a Cup alongside MacKinnon in 2022.

Steven Stamkos says he isn’t the least bit surprised by a spring where McDavid has registered 42 points and put himself within striking distance of Wayne’s Gretzky’s all-time record of 47.

Β 

They were among a group of NHLers that trained together north of Toronto last summer and spent a considerable amount of time in each other’s company, on the ice and off it.

Β 

β€œHe even approached me to have conversations about my experiences when we won the Cup and what it took and things of that nature,” said Stamkos, a two-time champion with the Tampa Bay Lighting. β€œHe is all about winning and the passion and drive to be the best to help his team win a Cup. It’s so impressive how competitive he is in every aspect. He always wants to win β€” in the gym, or scrimmages, or games.

Β 

β€œIf there is a player to will his team back from a 0-3 hole, it’s him!”

Β 

GettyImages-1374019837-scaled.jpg

Β 

Steven Stamkos said Connor McDavid came to him seeking championship advice. (Mike Carlson / Getty Images)

Β 

The Oilers are vying to become just the second team in NHL history to accomplish that feat in the Stanley Cup Final, following the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs.

Β 

McDavid naturally draws most of his praise for his incredible offensive output β€” he’s had multi-point outings in seven of 11 games dating back to the start of the Western Conference final β€” but he’s also playing more than 23 minutes per night during these playoffs and helped Edmonton tilt the ice considerably during his five-on-five minutes.

Β 

Β 

β€œWhat he is doing is refusing to lose,” said former Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf, who won a Stanley Cup and two Olympic gold medals during his playing career. β€œHe is blocking shots and doing whatever it takes to win. Watching him in years past I’m not sure you would have seen him do everything it takes to win the Cup, and we are seeing that he has learned and grown into someone who is ready to do it.”

Β 

Said Jonathan Toews, the three-time champion former Chicago Blackhawks captain: β€œHe’s out of this world. It’s really hard to comprehend what he’s doing, on top of the pressure he’s under. He just keeps reaching new levels. He’s unstoppable. I find myself cheering for him it’s so impressive.”

Β 

Last year’s Conn Smythe winner, Jonathan Marchessault, was leaning toward Aleksander Barkov last week for his playoff MVP pick when the Panthers were up 3-0 in the series. But like so many, Marchessault has been wowed by McDavid’s consecutive four-point outings to help the Oilers stay alive.

Β 

β€œIt’s pretty hard not to go with Connor now,” Marchessault told The Athletic over the phone Wednesday night. β€œWhat he’s doing right now is just unbelievable. He has so many points. He’s a factor so many times when he’s on the ice. As much as people say, β€˜Let’s hit him or get him,’ you can’t. He’s too fast. He’s too agile. You can’t touch him. He’s unbelievable.

Β 

β€œAnd he’s not doing it against San Jose in December,” Marchessault added. β€œHe’s doing it in June with the best two teams in the Cup Final. He’s doing it every night. And now he’s giving his team a chance to come back. Obviously, they don’t have a lot of leeway left, but they’re giving themselves a chance.”

Β 

So impressed is the Vegas Golden Knights forward with what he’s seen from McDavid that he believes No. 97 has set himself apart among the all-time greats.

Β 

β€œI wasn’t around for the other eras of the NHL, but he has to be the most dominant player to have ever played the game,” Marchessault said. β€œThe game is so fast now, and the way he reacts is unbelievable. Yeah, I think win or lose, Connor should be the guy to get it.”

Β 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5577726/2024/06/20/nhl-stars-react-connor-mcdavid/