βœ¨πŸ”©2024 Stanley Cup Finals: Edmonton vs Florida: Panthers Stanley Cup Champions πŸ”©βœ¨ (FLA Wins 4-3)

pilldoc

Who brings home the Cup!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who brings home the Cup!

• Oilers sweep in 4 (The Oil just obliterate the Cats)
    • Oilers in 5 (McDavid and company have there way with Bob)
    • Oilers in 6 (Cats battle the Oil but in the end McDavid proves why he is a Super Star)
    • Oilers in 7 (What a series! Canada finally wins the Cup ... McDavid given key to city and Bettman is crying!)
    • Panthers sweep in 4 (Panthers stike oil and brush aside the Oilers)
    • Panthers in 5 (Panthers experience a small hiccup but win anyway)
    • Panthers in 6 (Bob is the difference and stone both McDavid and Draisaitl)
    • Panthers in 7 (What a series! Florida denies Canada yet another Cup)
  2. 2. Who wins the Conn Smythe if Oilers win?

• Connor McDavid
    • Leon Draisaitl
    • Zach Hyman
    • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    • Stuart Skinner
    • a Panther's Player
    • Other
  3. 3. Who wins the Conn Smythe if Panthers win?

• Aleksander Barkov
    • Sergei Bobrovsky
    • Matthew Tkachuk
    • Gustav Forsling
    • Carter Verhaeghe
    • Connor McDavid
    • other

Just incredible... every ounce of momentum with the Oilers now. I was rooting for Bobrovsky but his game started slipping even before G4. When he got pulled he looked as stunned as all the other Cats out there.Β  He had a real shot at the Conn Smythe I think until McDavid apparently decided "enough of this losingshit..." Just incredible...

Β 

Β 

Given the two bigΒ Drama Factors:

Β 

a) noΒ Canadian teamΒ since 1993 has won the Cup

Β 

b) only other time a team hasΒ won from 0-3 downΒ was 1942

Β 

…I’ll toss out the hypothesis that Monday’s Game Seven between Edmonton and Florida is the biggest hockey game since at least 1994, 30 years ago when the NY Rangers and their Original Six anemiaΒ drama surrounding theirΒ 54-year Cup droughtΒ enjoyed hydration.

Β 

==> AGREE or DISAGREE?

Β 

If you disagree, what game or series in the past 30 years has been bigger than what we are all blessed with viewing right here and now?

Β 

Β 

Edited by SaucyJack

19 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

Will game 7 be a 1-0 shutout in overtime?

Β 

Florida wishes...cause the way they've been scoring, that's the only chance they have.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Take of 2 very different 3 game sets .....

Β 

Games 1-3: Panthers outscore Oilers 11-4 which includes a Game 1 shutout.

Games 4-6: Oilers totally dominate Panthers outscoring the Cats 18-5 which includes an 8-1 shellacking

IMHO this series turned when the Oilers and more importantly McDavid, absolute lit up and torched the Panthers for 8 goals in Game #4.Β  The Oilers are now playing with house money.Β  To see an absolute utter collapse by Florida is amazing.Β  Don't get me wrong, theΒ  Panthers can still win the Cup, but they have to have a lot voices in their collective heads right now.Β  I picked the Oilers in 7, was going to swallow some pride when they were down 3-0, but I can realistically see the Cup finally returning to Canada.

Β 

The key I believe is ....who scores first .....Β  Throughout their three game comeback, the Oilers have played from a position of supreme comfort. They've been in the lead for the entirety of the last three games and never even have had to ponder whether their season was realistically coming to an end. Β The team that scores first will win, IMHO.

Β 

The 8-1 blowout in the fourth game was what killed the Panthers; they just haven't realized it yet.

Β 

Quotable's from Panther fans ......

Β 

It’s like we woke up one day and forgot how to play hockey. For the most part our best guys turned into our worst guys. I have never seen a team get this broken in all my years of watching sports. What a sad twist to an otherwise remarkable season. This is the type of thing that can take decades for a franchise to recover from. Sure, i hope for a miracle on Monday, but at this point it really will take a miracle……

Β 

Just making all too easy for the Oilers. What the hell happened to them

Well, looks like we’re back where we started...

It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Β 

Florida Pampers

Β 

Death, taxes, and Panthering.

Β 

Β 

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

I love this! Bettman’s gotta be beside himself that a Canadian team could win the cup over one of his southern expansion teams…

Β 

Β 

Totally agree ....anything to see Bettman's world crumble ........

-The Oilers have three wins in a row, have forced a Game 7 and we’re watching the impossible develop in real time. I don’t know how history will remember this moment, but in real time it's mind blowing. In a season that is so improbable, the impossible is happening (credit to Vin Scully).

Β 

-Stuart Skinner is playing so well and the coaching staff has handled his playoff spring brilliantly. Those two things are vital to Edmonton’s current run. In the month of June, Skinner owns a .920 save percentage. People have been so hard on this guy... Last year, he expected to play his as a backup, and when Jack Campbell clearly wasn't up to the task, his job instantly changed and the team turned to this rookie and said "OK, things have changed and we need you to be the starter", and he performed admirably. He and his wife had a kid around trade deadline, so you can throw a lack of sleep into the mix. By the time the playoffs arrived, I think he was mentally shot. Just exhausted.

Β 

This year, when coach Woodcroft introduced a disastrous defensive scheme, he was left high and dry and when the team struggled early, the internet was awash in keyboard warriors who felt he was the big weak point on the club. He ended the season with the third-most Quality Starts in the NHL, and when he struggled in the playoffs, it was "the Oilers will never have a chance to win the Cup with this guy in net". And now, coming into game 7 in the Finals, he's out-duelling Sergei Bobrovsky.

Β 

-Zach Hyman and Mattias Ekholm delivered again last night as both have delivered all year. Hyman scored 54 goals in the regular season and has been money in the playoffs, scoring at a 53 goal pace.

Β 

-Kris Knoblauch has made the right adjustments all playoff long:
-rd 1: they weren't really tested by the Kings.
-rd 2: when Skinner struggled, he knew to give him a rest. Brought Connor Brown back into the lineup for Sam Carrick, and the PK began its legendary bump.
-rd 3: made neutral zone adjustments to Dallas' use of the cherry pick, completely changing the series.
-rd 4: on breakout, put a winger at centre ice in order to back off the Florida defenders. This opened up the neutral zone to allow much cleaner exits and gave players like McDavid an ocean of space to use, and if he gets space, he's the ultimate nuclear option.

Β 

-I'm so proud of these players for what they've done so far, and I think that all of the pressure in the world is on the Florida Panthers now.

Β 

---edit---

Β 

-I can't believe that I forgot to mention Connor McDavid. It's obvious and just about everything about which could be said has been said, but he is what he is. He's writing his legend one game at a time on the biggest stage and cementing his place in the history of the game. I say he's the best player in the history of the game and is doing things at an insane level against a much deeper level of competition than anybody has ever done it before.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Good Post 3

2 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Speed kills. I saw this coming..and what happened to the Panthers is they are having a lot of trouble with not just the speed, but the puck movement of the Oilers. The Panthers have to hope and pray that Bobrovsky can play one of the best games of his life, and they can find a way to get the lead by an early goal or two, and counterattack the Oilers offensive onslaught. If all of these things don't happen, the Panthers will lose. Oh, and one more thing.. Florida has to stay out of the penalty box.

11 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Given the two bigΒ Drama Factors:

Β 

a) noΒ Canadian teamΒ since 1993 has won the Cup

Β 

b) only other time a team hasΒ won from 0-3 downΒ was 1942

Β 

…I’ll toss out the hypothesis that Monday’s Game Seven between Edmonton and Florida is the biggest hockey game since at least 1994, 30 years ago when the NY Rangers and their Original Six anemiaΒ drama surrounding theirΒ 54-year Cup droughtΒ enjoyed hydration.

Β 

==> AGREE or DISAGREE?

Β 

If you disagree, what game or series in the past 30 years has been bigger than what we are all blessed with viewing right here and now?

Β 

Β 

AGREE! I can’t think of a game that I have looked forward to more.Β 

Here's a novel idea - if the Panthers want a shot at winning the Cup tomorrow, get the first goal. They've been fighting uphill since Game 5. I can't wait until tomorrow night. It sucks that the game isn't tonight.

• Like 1