🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM WINS 4-2)

Oilers at Stars  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Teams Takes One More Step Towards Finishing What They Started?

• Oilers in 4... Oilers just run through a Stars team that just wasn't ready for them
    • Oilers in 5... Stars put up a bit of a fuss, but nothing the Oilers couldn't handle pretty easily
    • Oilers in 6... DAL plays well, but finds containing McDavid's crew is a bit harder than containing MacKinnon's crew...and fall as a result!
    • Oilers in 7... Great set that sees Oilers almost become a team of destiny...almost...but at least they will be present to compete for the big one!
    • Stars in 4... Stone's Knights, MacKinnon's Avs, McDavid's Oilers....no problem!
    • Stars in 5... Oilers find the Stars are a much tougher mark than the Kings or Canucks and are shocked in short order
    • Stars in 6... Dallas does everything right, and despite the Oilers hard charging, pull off the West Title win
    • Stars in 7... Very good series that will massively disappoint one team in the end...that team is EDM

57 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Rooting for the Oilers .......

I hope the Oilers get it too, just to stick it to Gary Bettman. A Canadian team wins the Cup AND one of his precious southern teams didn't...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Two teams left...one has 2- 1st overall picks and a 2nd overall...the other has a 1st overall and 2-2nds. Two of them lead the playoffs in scoring. 9 of the top 20 scorers were taken in the top 4 of the draft. Shocked....shocked I tell ya!

Leon went 3rd, though in a re-draft, he'd have been another #1. Both of these teams have four players who were lottery picks.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 4:04 PM, Math said:

So Yeah, series will be over Sunday night, and good success for the Oilers in the big final

See, told'ya !

Well, not in that fashion, but still. I think losing a game with only 10 SOG allowed should mark another franchise record. But like it's always the case in this sport in a best-of-7 series, the better team won. Now that the disappointment has faded, going to back-to-back conference finals is still good in today's NHL with the parity, salary cap, and stuff. In some way, I could be glad it's over: No more suffering, no more nail-biting evenings, time to catch up the lack of sleep; thanks Lord for healing my pain and freeing me of my sins.

Now, the Stars will need to address the two major holes in their roster: finding a top-4 Dman and a middle-6 forward who has some grit and physicality (Bonus: eventually going for a reliable back-up that can play more than 20 games in the regular season). And also answer the following questions:

- Buy out Suter? (it's a big yes for me. His contract his buyout-friendly and he carries too much money for a third-pair Dman even though he was ok this season)

- Bring back Duchene? (around $1M AAV, maybe, but according to Evolving Hockey's projections, he could command a 3-year deal at $7M AAV. So, no way. He was good for a couple of games but completely vanished in the playoffs)

- Bring back Pavelski? (I think it's more up to him, but he's unfortunately done IMO)

- Bring back Tanev? (he was a key player as a rental and his value should've considerably increased, but he's 34 and his injury-prone. I really liked him and his determination. If he's back, I wouldn't go with a term longer than two years.)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Math said:

- Buy out Suter? (it's a big yes for me. His contract his buyout-friendly and he carries too much money for a third-pair Dman even though he was ok this season)

- Bring back Duchene? (around $1M AAV, maybe, but according to Evolving Hockey's projections, he could command a 3-year deal at $7M AAV. So, no way. He was good for a couple of games but completely vanished in the playoffs)

- Bring back Pavelski? (I think it's more up to him, but he's unfortunately done IMO)

- Bring back Tanev? (he was a key player as a rental and his value should've considerably increased, but he's 34 and his injury-prone. I really liked him and his determination. If he's back, I wouldn't go with a term longer than two years.)

Suter: The Athletic's market value model has him pegged as a $4M defenseman, thus providing some surplus value, but he's going to turn 40 next year, and I think it's time for some fresh blood. The buyout is cheap, and would leave them with almost $3M to spend.

-Duchene: he has a long history of not being an amazing performer in the playoffs. He still has good legs heading into his mid-30s, but I think they could use somebody who plays with a bit more truculence, as Brian Burke used to say.

-Pavelski: was a hell of a hockey player, but it's time to retire. My guess is that he has more to offer a team off the ice than on.

-Tanev: a warrior and terrific defensive defenseman, but the miles are long, and he's being held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

• pilldoc unpinned and locked this topic