🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM WINS 4-2)

Oilers at Stars  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Teams Takes One More Step Towards Finishing What They Started?

• Oilers in 4... Oilers just run through a Stars team that just wasn't ready for them
    • Oilers in 5... Stars put up a bit of a fuss, but nothing the Oilers couldn't handle pretty easily
    • Oilers in 6... DAL plays well, but finds containing McDavid's crew is a bit harder than containing MacKinnon's crew...and fall as a result!
    • Oilers in 7... Great set that sees Oilers almost become a team of destiny...almost...but at least they will be present to compete for the big one!
    • Stars in 4... Stone's Knights, MacKinnon's Avs, McDavid's Oilers....no problem!
    • Stars in 5... Oilers find the Stars are a much tougher mark than the Kings or Canucks and are shocked in short order
    • Stars in 6... Dallas does everything right, and despite the Oilers hard charging, pull off the West Title win
    • Stars in 7... Very good series that will massively disappoint one team in the end...that team is EDM

Posted (edited)

Bouchard unaware Marchmont is coming hard how is that possible? Damn… oh I see he was trying to whack the puck outta harm’s way… didn’t make good contact. Damn damn damn now we got a real game, suddenly Dallas owns all the ice…

might wanna call a TO KK…

Good TV time out right on time…

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

Dallas scores to get within one. Seguin with a nice pass back over to Marchment, after Marchment's initial shot and then he says "look what I found" and stashes it home. 

-Really crazy pressure from Dallas now.

-Edmonton has fallen into the habit or rimming and rimming, and the Stars are repeatedly cutting it off.

Posted (edited)

I’d like to see them lob it out to center more often…just to take off the pressure. I don’t mind flip after flip long as they don’t ice it

edit…but yeah it does make the clock run slooooowwwly.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

I’d like to see them lob it out to center more often…just to take off the pressure. I don’t mind flip after flip long as they don’t ice it

It's better than icing, but it just re-sets the deck for the opposition, puts the puck on their stick too much.

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

I’d like to see them lob it out to center more often…just to take off the pressure it’s a smart play. Not always easy to execute but it seems like it’s not even in their playbook

I think you have to mix it up. Skate it out at times. Trying to get out of the zone just one way, unless you know that way is available, makes you predictable.

• Like 1

Sure absolutely I just mean when they’re coming strong and you’re hemmed in….use the lob and catch a breath that’s all. 

much better to play in their zone for the final minutes…but that gets real tough to do 6 on 5…

Posted (edited)

They did it!

Whew that shot from Skinner’s left bounced out to his right, hopped over 2 Dallas sticks both guys were looking at wide open nets if they could’ve corralled the puck…crazy!

A little sad for Joe Pavelski he’s a warrior and class act…but glad to see McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH etc advance, make the Final. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

The Oilers good win.

McDavids goal was a beauty.

The Oil clog the middle on defense and have enough assassins to capitalize on mistakes. 

They're pretty great and rolling right now.

Should be a fun final.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They did it!

Whew that shot from Skinner’s left bounced out to his right, hopped over 2 Dallas sticks both guys were looking at wide open nets if they could’ve corralled the puck…crazy ending!

Yeah, Seguin and Marchment both had a great crack at it. What a game. The Oilers win Game 6, with only 10 shots on goal.. but played a very good, disciplined game. 

Oilers-Panthers 2024 Stanley Cup finals. It should be a great series.

Posted (edited)

He looked pretty emotional in the interview on the ice after the horn….you could see how much it means to him…he really has waited longer than a guy with his talent should ever have to wait. 

looked it up to be sure…RNH is 31 years old! And McDavid is already 27… I don’t know why I’m so surprised but I am… time is flying…

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3

Who the heck is the favorite in the Final? I don’t mean Fanduel whatever it’s called I mean hockey pros…I wonder. It doesn’t seem obvious to me which team is the favorite.

McJesus the savior of Hockey in Canada finally gonna bring Canada to Cup finals...King Rat vs McJesus feels bit like The Battle of Alberta again only been 2 years of Calgary without Tkachuk...

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM WINS 4-2)
1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Who the heck is the favorite in the Final? I don’t mean Fanduel whatever it’s called I mean hockey pros…I wonder. It doesn’t seem obvious to me which team is the favorite.

With any luck, the Finals will be deemed a "Pick'em"...as it should be for the Eastern Champion meeting the Western Champion for the right to call themselves NHL Stanley Cup Champions.

How many Finals have we seen where it was somewhat  underwhelming due to one team having a particularly sharp edge over the other?
Last Finals I can recall that I could honestly say was a pick'em was TBL vs COL...but even then, the Bolts were starting to be viewed as "slipping" while the Avs where charging upward.

Edmonton vs Florida poses the question:
Which team really wants it more?

Then asks, "Who dictates the style and can the other team adjust to the style and still win?"
Great questions, and ones that both are capable of answering.

This matchup may not be the media's wet dream....no Original Six (blech..) or big market matchups here....but we DO have two teams that are NOT Cinderellas, that absolutely deserve to be there, and are multifaceted enough, to where NO ONE can cleanly predict what will happen....or even should happen.

I am glad for both, but as a Bolts fan, I will be rooting Edmonton all the way now....heh.

Congrats to the Oilers.
As for Dallas....good enough team, yes. Great season and all that.
But, will have to wait some more.

Posted (edited)

Two teams left...one has 2- 1st overall picks and a 2nd overall...the other has a 1st overall and 2-2nds. Two of them lead the playoffs in scoring. 9 of the top 20 scorers were taken in the top 4 of the draft. Shocked....shocked I tell ya!

Edited by flyercanuck

Mc-Wow....LOL

Congrats to The Oil.

As a flames fan, this sucks, either Edm, or TK and Bennett will hoist a cup, just gross.

But, Could Skinner outplay Bob, now that would be the Capper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Edmonton vs Florida poses the question:
Which team really wants it more?

Then asks, "Who dictates the style and can the other team adjust to the style and still win?"
Great questions, and ones that both are capable of answering.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Two teams left...one has 2- 1st overall picks and a 2nd overall...the other has a 1st overall and 2-2nds. Two of them lead the playoffs in scoring. 9 of the top 20 scorers were taken in the top 4 of the draft. Shocked....shocked I tell ya!

Well stated TFG I think the team that can impose their will and adjust to neutralize the other team best wins. As far as who wants it more, I don't see anyone wanting it more than Edmonton.

The real kicker IMO will be goaltending, Florida has gone through Vasileski, Swayman and now Shesterkin, I don't put Skinner in that class of goatending.

Flyercanuck's statement kind of proves the theory that a team does need to be bad or make really wise trades to be good.

Will my Wild team ever learn that lesson.