πŸ§«πŸ’πŸŽΏ 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM WINS 4-2)

Oilers at Stars  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Teams Takes One More Step Towards Finishing What They Started?

• Oilers in 4... Oilers just run through a Stars team that just wasn't ready for them
    • Oilers in 5... Stars put up a bit of a fuss, but nothing the Oilers couldn't handle pretty easily
    • Oilers in 6... DAL plays well, but finds containing McDavid's crew is a bit harder than containing MacKinnon's crew...and fall as a result!
    • Oilers in 7... Great set that sees Oilers almost become a team of destiny...almost...but at least they will be present to compete for the big one!
    • Stars in 4... Stone's Knights, MacKinnon's Avs, McDavid's Oilers....no problem!
    • Stars in 5... Oilers find the Stars are a much tougher mark than the Kings or Canucks and are shocked in short order
    • Stars in 6... Dallas does everything right, and despite the Oilers hard charging, pull off the West Title win
    • Stars in 7... Very good series that will massively disappoint one team in the end...that team is EDM

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

I am fine with Ovi and Backs and TJ (and recently Kuzy) laying playoff eggs year after year…’cuz they DID manage to win it all ONCE. Β  (Especially for Ovi, it would be so different and patheticΒ but for that one-time Miracle.)

Β 

P.S. Go Oilers: win Sunday then break this 6-series Canadian losing streak in the Cup Finals.

I just think Florida are a bit deeper, battle tested and have the better goalie hands down. Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

I am fine with Ovi and Backs and TJ (and recently Kuzy) laying playoff eggs year after year…’cuz they DID manage to win it all ONCE. Β  (Especially for Ovi, it would be so different and patheticΒ but for that one-time Miracle.)

Β 

P.S. Go Oilers: win Sunday then break this 6-series Canadian losing streak in the Cup Finals.

That’s like me saying I’m fine with the Blues winning it finally. Β Sure that was a rare moment one of my teams won. Β The Rams being my 2nd favorite also . Β But my only favorite team to win it all are the Orioles. Β Bills and Sabres have come close, but like Canucks, Vikings and others, still waiting. Β The Bills could win now depending on these strange moves by GM and a cry baby receiver walking and no longer having to be pampered. Β 
I don’t like any of the teams left in hockey or NBA. Β So I’ll watch my Orioles

Posted (edited)

-The Oilers didn't really give them much all night long. Stars fans probably felt like the Stars weren't working or lacked desperation, etc, but it's tough when the other team basically throws a blanket on the ice.

Β 

-I've banged this drum all year, but after the coaching change, people who said the Oilers can't defend simply weren't watching the games. Even with the horror start, they ended up near the top of the heap in allowing the fewest scoring chances, high danger chances, and no team has better balanced the creation and reduction of high danger chances.

Β 

-Like every team, they're not perfect. There will be wobble out there, because the competition is damned good, too.

Β 

-It's almost as if Kris Knoblauch heard me talking about how Philip Broberg is ready to contribute after the game 3 loss. After playing a dominant season in the American League, the kid has come in and given them strong minutes with calm feet, good transition and his speed which he uses on puck retrieval. The goal was the icing on the cake.

Β 

-Chris Tanev is, as ever, a warrior.

Β 

-At the post-game press conference, a reporter asked Peter DeBoer why he thought his team looked lifeless out there, and he rightfully went off on the guy, incensed that he questioned their character, telling him to "write whatever the **** you want". I always like to see a coach who will defend his players, and DeBoer did it like a king.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to πŸ§«πŸ’πŸŽΏ 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM Leads 3-2)
7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

a reporter asked Peter DeBoer why he thought his team looked lifeless out there, and he rightfully went off on the guy, incensed that he questioned their character, telling him to "write whatever the **** you want". I always like to see a coach who will defend his players, and DeBoer did it like a king.

Β 

I lol'd at it, but I'm wondering if DeBoer was really defending his players or if he was pissed as the Stars' showing. No debate, The Oilers are clearly better. You can't blame Γ–ttinger on every goal he let in, it was more a team failure.

Β 

But while I'm always ok to lose if the players give their full 100%, it was a pivotal game #5 Conference final when the series is tied 2-2 and you play at home, and the Stars played like if it was an October Monday night regular game against the Ducks. And the lack of character was blatant. Not any sign of frustration, no willing to change the momentum by either teasing Skinner, going for a little scrum, or a big hit, I dunno... At least, something. I wanted to see warriors on the ice but they were beaten puppies.Β 

Β 

So Yeah, series will be over Sunday night, and good success for the Oilers in the big final.

1 hour ago, Math said:

Β 

I lol'd at it, but I'm wondering if DeBoer was really defending his players or if he was pissed as the Stars' showing. No debate, The Oilers are clearly better. You can't blame Γ–ttinger on every goal he let in, it was more a team failure.

Β 

I really think he was crapping on the reporter as opposed to his team.

Β 

1 hour ago, Math said:

But while I'm always ok to lose if the players give their full 100%, it was a pivotal game #5 Conference final when the series is tied 2-2 and you play at home, and the Stars played like if it was an October Monday night regular game against the Ducks. And the lack of character was blatant. Not any sign of frustration, no willing to change the momentum by either teasing Skinner, going for a little scrum, or a big hit, I dunno... At least, something. I wanted to see warriors on the ice but they were beaten puppies.Β 

Β 

Who knows what the Stars may be going through right now? The blueline is surely exhausted, since they've been almost entirely playing the Hesikanen/Harley and Lindell/Tanev pairings and only giving spot minutes to the depth. We know that Tanev is very banged-up.

Β 

For the Stars, getting chippy is probably not in the cards, and I would guess it's largely a for a couple of reason:

Β 

a) It just doesn't suit their style. This is mostly not a chippy/grindy/messy group of players. Jamie Benn can play that game with the best of them, but

b) They're probably leery of giving up power-plays because they're up against a group which is pretty much the best and most consistent power-play in the history of the game.

Β 

1 hour ago, Math said:

So Yeah, series will be over Sunday night, and good success for the Oilers in the big final.

On May 15, with the Edmonton/Vancouver series tied at 2-2, the Oilers played what looked like a low energy game 5, and didn't have a lot of fight against the Canucks in a 3-2 loss. Needing to win the last two games, almost everybody in Vancouver were convinced of inevitable victory, and more than a few people in Edmonton agreed. It turned out that most of the players on the team had been ill since game two of the series, and were on every cold medication known to man, so the listlessness made sense.

Β 

The Edmonton Oilers rallied off two straight to win the series, and I 100% think the Dallas Stars are capable of the same thing. I understand that last night's game can be frustrating, but they've been a dangerous team all year long, and I still think they're dangerous.

Β 

It's not over until they line up to shake hands.

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

At the post-game press conference, a reporter asked Peter DeBoer why he thought his team looked lifeless out there, and he rightfully went off on the guy, incensed that he questioned their character, telling him to "write whatever the **** you want". I always like to see a coach who will defend his players, and DeBoer did it like a king.

It sounded like a hack question but I don’t think he meant to insult their effort…like a lot of us watching he maybe was just surprised how completely in control the Oilers were all game long. I mean it was a master class in puck possession and taking away the middle.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It sounded like a hack question but I don’t think he meant to insult their effort…like a lot of us watching he maybe was just surprised how completely in control the Oilers were all game long. I mean it was a master class in puck possession and taking away the middle.

Β 

They didn't give up much the last couple of games. I hope it continues.

Β 

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 7:53 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Not only that. I thought Dallas would wear Edmonton down defensively, with physical play. That hasn't happened. In fact, I think the Oilers have played a more physical series than the Stars. This is the most complete team, the Oilers have had in a while. It should be a great Game 6. I thought that the Stars had an advantage in goal, and on the blue line. Skinner has been very good, as good as Oettinger. A couple of players to watch out for that haven't as of yet done much this series,Β  are Kane for the Oilers and Pavelski for the Stars. I have a hunch, that secondary scoring will play a big role in tonight's outcome.

Edited by FD19372

Posted (edited)

Oilers all business again tonight they’re not giving the Stars a sniff at an open look

Β 

edit jeez no sooner I post that the Stars 4th line gets a great chance ha!

Β 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Posted (edited)

Goalie's best friend ..Hintz just hit the post. If I wasn't watching the game...which I am, I would have never believed the Oilers would be up 2-0 (even with their firepower), with them being outshot 17-6. An obviously great job by them, of maximizing their scoring chances.

Edited by FD19372

Wow is Knobloch truly concerned or just saying the right thing? Dallas is definitely picking it up here in the 2nd, more SOG but I haven’t seen many grade-A chances. He almost made it sound like the Oilers were down 2-0 …. but I’d take his word over mine lol!

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow is Knobloch truly concerned or just saying the right thing? Dallas is definitely picking it up here in the 2nd, more SOG but I haven’t seen many grade-A chances. He almost made it sound like the Oilers were down 2-0 …. but I’d take his word over mine lol!

Β 

I'm watching Sportsnet tonight (TNT's audio mix drives me crazy). What was he saying?

Β 

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

He's probably a bit concerned with the lack of shots, but he'd be more concerned if there were big defensive lapses, which there hasn't been to this point.

Just now, FD19372 said:

He's probably a bit concerned with the lack of shots, but he'd be more concerned if there were big defensive lapses, which there hasn't been to this point.

Β 

Ah. Yeah, that makes sense.

Β 

I know that McDavid scored that beauty in the 1st, but I think his defensive positioning/awareness has been almost perfect tonight.

Β 

• Like 1

He was okay with the effort and all, just wanted to see more attack time, felt like Dallas was controlling play, wanted to see his boys tilt the ice the other way. Perfectly reasonable I just thought he sounded like a coach who was behind in the game not up by 2…

Β 

And now just 20 to go!Β 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

he'd be more concerned if there were big defensive lapses, which there hasn't been to this point.

not a one…not really anything you could call a blown assignment or a bad pinch. The Oilers are playing a real smart β€œsmall” game imho, even if the shot totals are lopsided in Dallas’ favor.Β 
Β 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Good Post 1

They're not giving up a lot of clean looks, but I'd like it if the Oilers played like they are the team down 3 games to 2.

Β 

Posted (edited)

Β Very few second chances for the Stars. Oilers blocking out in front of Skinner. Quite the sight to see from the Oil

Edited by Jimtown guy