🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (EDM WINS 4-2)

Oilers at Stars  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Teams Takes One More Step Towards Finishing What They Started?

• Oilers in 4... Oilers just run through a Stars team that just wasn't ready for them
    • Oilers in 5... Stars put up a bit of a fuss, but nothing the Oilers couldn't handle pretty easily
    • Oilers in 6... DAL plays well, but finds containing McDavid's crew is a bit harder than containing MacKinnon's crew...and fall as a result!
    • Oilers in 7... Great set that sees Oilers almost become a team of destiny...almost...but at least they will be present to compete for the big one!
    • Stars in 4... Stone's Knights, MacKinnon's Avs, McDavid's Oilers....no problem!
    • Stars in 5... Oilers find the Stars are a much tougher mark than the Kings or Canucks and are shocked in short order
    • Stars in 6... Dallas does everything right, and despite the Oilers hard charging, pull off the West Title win
    • Stars in 7... Very good series that will massively disappoint one team in the end...that team is EDM

A thing that stands out to me about EDM is they are BIG.

I'm sure they look impressive getting off the bus.

Lots of big dudes that can stinkin' fly, with great sticks.

They're a nice team, really fun to watch.

Dallas adjusting to the speed of EDM by playing quicker.

Their clock speed has been turnt UP. Making quick decisions with the puck and starting to forego that extra pass. 

Also I don't know if it's coaching but they're blowing the d zone with forward so the defense has a target for the high flip. It's been noticeable and helpful for relieving the pressure from the oil.

Didn't get a chance to watch this one, but it looks like the Stars aren't going away.
This series could go 7.

I will get with the Youtube condensed version game later on.

Pros for Dallas....they are heading on the road on a high note after winning this one, even though they are not leading the set.
IMO, in a tied series, always better to be the team that won last time out....that is Dallas.

Pros for Edmonton.... Series tied as the road team.
Really, as the road squad, facing a division champion, all you really want is to grab a road game before coming home and then attempting to use your home ice advantage.
Oilers did that.

And to @mojo1917's point, adjustments were made.
And I am sure the Oilers will now make adjustments of their own.

It's what the playoffs are all about...finding that recipe for WINNING!
Because WINNING really is all that matters in the playoffs, right? 
Right! :bigteeth: 

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (Series Tied 1-1)

-Oettinger saved the day in the 1st period. After 20, the Oilers had 16 shots, 15 Scoring Chances, 10 of which were High Danger, with only 1 High Danger against.

-Kind of a classic playoff game with both teams playing well.

-The Stars gave up next to nothing after getting the go-ahead goal. Stacked the blue line and knocked down almost everything that the Oilers tried to move east/west.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

A thing that stands out to me about EDM is they are BIG.

I'm sure they look impressive getting off the bus.

Lots of big dudes that can stinkin' fly, with great sticks.

They're a nice team, really fun to watch.

This is the sort of thing that might stand out to Flyers fan these day. The Oilers are one of the biggest teams and Philly has one of the smallest. You can't teach size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Because WINNING really is all that matters in the playoffs, right? 
Right!

Well…no.  I mean it can be right.  

But the playoffs are also about teams performing badly in the clutch, even choking when arguably the better squad…lacking the courage or discipline or fortitude to do better…

…all so that their fans can complain about the sad state of playoff affairs, to friends and enemies, even in hockey forums, for this and other playoff season failures, perhaps even for decades, never stopping, until they die.  ⚰️ 

So not just about winning!

Not really the expected start: Thought that the Stars would come strong from the puck drop and put a lot of pressure on the Oilers, but after the first goal, they stopped playing and were completely overwhelmed by the Oilers (the same exact thing happened against Vegas in game #2 as well). The 1-1 tie after the first period was generous.

Then, as long as the game went, the Stars took gently control of the game, leading to a constant decrease in Edmonton's scoring chances. 

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Pros for Edmonton.... Series tied as the road team.
Really, as the road squad, facing a division champion, all you really want is to grab a road game before coming home and then attempting to use your home ice advantage.
Oilers did that.

That's the thing: in today's hockey, there's no more home ice advantage. This is not a factor anymore. Coaches have a plan A, B, C, sometimes D, and some of them don't even bother to play match-ups and have the last change. If you look at the playoffs records of the past years, home teams are between .470 and .530, so it's not significant at all. This is strengthened by today's parity in hockey where WC teams are still very close to division winners.

Claude Julien (I think it was him...) said that when the was coach of the Bruins when asked about the home ice advantage in the playoffs: "The only advantage that I can think of is if the series are tied 3-3, if the score is tied as well in game #7 with one minute remaining in the third period and if we have a face-off in the O-zone, then maybe I can make a change to put another center. That's about it."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

Not really the expected start: Thought that the Stars would come strong from the puck drop and put a lot of pressure on the Oilers, but after the first goal, they stopped playing and were completely overwhelmed by the Oilers (the same exact thing happened against Vegas in game #2 as well). The 1-1 tie after the first period was generous.

Then, as long as the game went, the Stars took gently control of the game, leading to a constant decrease in Edmonton's scoring chances. 

The biggest systems change I noticed, once the 2nd period was on, was Dallas having a man high in the defensive zone ready to take off. Not only does that put pressure on the Oilers D in the zone but it makes puck retrieval paramount.

It was a really close game that could have been out of reach after 20 minutes, but was settled on a single shot in the 3rd, because that's what hockey is like at the highest level. Fun stuff.

• Like 1

-An amusing little tidbit: in Oil Country, a popular drumbeat is to crap on Ryan McLeod for not being physical enough.

-Through 2 games in the Dallas series, two Oilers lead the way with 7 hits each: Evander Kane & Ryan McLeod.

-McLeod has 15 hits over his last 6 games. Nothing memorable - clearly, it is not his game - but he has at least tried to ramp it up.

-Maybe a coincidence, but over that same run of games his defensive game has slipped, with identified mistakes on 3 GA.

3 goals by Dallas in 3:33. Rule of 3s, amazeballs!

And to think that there are people who want to deny that 3-0 is the worst lead in hockey. Idiots.

Dallas definitely brought a better game in the 2nd, but the Oilers really crapped the bed as well. Deharnais was horrible in his end multiple times, with those mistakes going in the net.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Dallas definitely brought a better game in the 2nd, but the Oilers really crapped the bed as well. Deharnais was horrible in his end multiple times, with those mistakes going in the net.

Should be a good third.

• Like 1

-It's very difficult to win against this level of competition when your highest-paid defenseman is 0-2-2, could win the Green Jacket with a -12, and takes an incredibly stupid penalty with 4:30 left when trailing.

-I get that Cody Ceci went on walkabout on the go-ahead goal, and was about 50km out of position, but that was an incredibly soft goal allowed by Stuart Skinner. The entire point of RVH is that you give up none of the post. When things get tight, he has a LOT of body movement, and that was a prime example. His ass should have been in the net, not in the crease. Robertson got a gimme.

-The coaching staff has reduced Cody Ceci's minutes from 22 minutes a night to 17, but I'm still waiting for them to figure out that it need to be zero minutes. This is a stunning number: the scoring chances with him on the ice are 94 for and 181 against, and the goals are 7 GF and 16 GA. Phillip Broberg can easily surpass this level of ineptitude.

• Good Post 1

I forgot to add: Dallas-area contributions to the Ben Stelter Foundation have surpassed the $10,000 mark. Stay classy, Dallas!!!

• Like 3

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🧫🏒🎿 2023-24 WCF: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at Central Champion Dallas Stars (DAL Leads 2-1)

Quite a strange game... The Oilers coming out strong was the expected scenario, but not at that point. Complete domination in the first but Edmonton stayed in the locker room for the second period before a wild third. As stated by Roussel during the pre-game show, the return of Hintz cleary opened spaces for Robertson. Skinner couldn't do much except for the Stars' go-ahead fourth goal where he let a deadly space behind him and the post.

For now, it's really special about how momentum drastically shifts with a team completely rolling over the other one and vice-versa during the same game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

you like pizza?

image.gif

Seriously, though, what in the actual **** is "Boston Pizza"???

🤪

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

image.gif

🤪

I have actually no clue.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

image.gif

🤪

It's a ******, ******, very ****** restaurant chain.

• Haha 2