Michkov may be here this summer

50 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

When do we find out if we have pick #36 from Columbus? I'm assuming Flyers have to prepare to make that pick and probably during the draft hear from the Blue Jackets?

I believe it has to be announced right after the first round is over. Danny B said he expects the Flyers will have the pick.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

When do we find out if we have pick #36 from Columbus? I'm assuming Flyers have to prepare to make that pick and probably during the draft hear from the Blue Jackets?

Ya, apparently they only have to give Philly an hours notice. It's a tough call for them...they likely expect to be better next year, but next years draft is supposed to be better.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, apparently they only have to give Philly an hours notice. It's a tough call for them...they likely expect to be better next year, but next years draft is supposed to be better.

36 would be nice, almost like another late 1st. I'm hoping that big 6'7 Center is the pick there. I have seen a few mocks with the Flyers taking him at #32. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

36 would be nice, almost like another late 1st. I'm hoping that big 6'7 Center is the pick there. I have seen a few mocks with the Flyers taking him at #32. 

I hear the Rangers are quite high on Dean Letourneau with their late first rounder. I hope we get Teddy Stiga and Charlie Elick with 32 and 36. If Columbus keeps the pick, then I prefer Stiga.

Anthony San Fillippo is speculating the Flyers won't pick at 12.

He thinks either way they move up or back.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I've heard nothing to indicate Konecny isn't resigning and the Flyers aren't happy to do that.

I won't burn it all down if they do resign him. At some point though, hard choices are going to need made.

Is it buying out Couturier? 

Just looking at the future core, Michkov won't be in his prime years on his ELC now... so if he works out, he's getting a big payday. Then the other "youngs" will be at the end of their bridge deals. The salary cap is going to get full quickly, especially if most of these guys get close to topping out on their talent.

Trading Konecny just seems to be the best way to avoid a lot of future headaches. 

Good hockey players are needed to be a good team and Konecny is good at hockey.

Does he age like Marchand?

Signs so far point to no, but it's not out of the realm of the possible. 

Marchand may be an outlier, but now that he's done it. Maybe the pathway to aging well with his game isn't a totally foreign concept.

I do think a defenseman that can play top of the lineup will be available in the top 12, wouldn't it be great to get the pick of the litter instead of the guy that's left. Trading TK can make that happen.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I won't burn it all down if they do resign him. At some point though, hard choices are going to need made.

Is it buying out Couturier? 

And this is the type of "planning" that the Flyers need to stop doing. They re-sign guys who are getting up there to long term deals, watch their game deteriorate, buy them out, and then do the same stupid shite over again. 

Konecny is my favorite Flyer...but if we really want to build a champion, guys like him need to go before we're trying to figure out what the buyout is on him.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

there is no exact science to building a Cup winner besides needing a 1st and 2nd overall draft pick to actually win sorry...as you see the Panthers Cup winner had 8 30 plus players on it. 2 of which were the goalies.

But as you can see none of the older players were in a any major roles mostly depth support guys.

And you can find the depth/support guys later to add when you're ready. But the core players were from 25-28 years old.

And yes i know Florida is also a mercenary team only a few players were actually drafted.

Just get younger if you can and more skilled best way you can.

Scoring Playoffs

Scoring Goals Assists     Ice Time
Rk Player Age
Pos GP G A PTS +/- PIM EV PP SH GW EV PP SH S S% TOI ATOI
  Team Total     24 73 121 194 20 273 56 15 2 16 89 28 4 742 9.8  
1 Anton Lundell 22 C 24 3 14 17 8 12 3 0 0 0 11 3 0 29 10.3 389 16:12
2 Eetu Luostarinen 25 C 24 2 6 8 2 22 2 0 0 0 5 1 0 27 7.4 367 15:18
3 Matthew Tkachuk 26 LW 24 6 16 22 0 31 6 0 0 2 10 6 0 83 7.2 444 18:30
4 Kevin Stenlund 27 C 24 0 1 1 -3 8 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 16 0.0 271 11:17
5 Steven Lorentz 27 C 16 2 1 3 -1 0 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 7 28.6 114 7:07
6 Niko Mikkola 27 D 24 2 2 4 4 22 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 23 8.7 448 18:39
7 Aaron Ekblad 27 D 24 1 5 6 4 16 1 0 0 0 4 0 1 33 3.0 541 22:33
8 Gustav Forsling 27 D 24 4 9 13 9 12 4 0 0 1 8 0 1 51 7.8 562 23:25
9 Sam Bennett 27 C 19 7 7 14 -1 12 6 1 0 1 4 3 0 38 18.4 305 16:04
10 Sam Reinhart 28 C 24 10 6 16 -2 12 6 4 0 2 4 1 1 78 12.8 519 21:37
11 Carter Verhaeghe 28 C 24 11 10 21 -5 20 7 4 0 3 9 1 0 79 13.9 464 19:20
12 Aleksander Barkov 28 C 24 8 14 22 -1 8 6 1 1 4 7 6 1 61 13.1 510 21:15
13 Ryan Lomberg 29 LW 8 0 0 0 -2 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 0.0 59 7:21
14 Brandon Montour 29 D 24 3 8 11 0 12 1 1 1 0 6 2 0 48 6.3 544 22:40
15 Anthony Stolarz 30 G 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   35 34:50
16 Nick Cousins 30 C 12 0 1 1 -1 20 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 9 0.0 104 8:42
17 Evan Rodrigues 30 C 24 7 8 15 6 4 5 2 0 1 7 1 0 44 15.9 353 14:42
18 Oliver Ekman-Larsson 32 D 24 2 4 6 1 24 2 0 0 0 0 4 0 27 7.4 371 15:27
19 Vladimir Tarasenko 32 RW 24 5 4 9 4 2 3 2 0 1 4 0 0 47 10.6 321 13:22
20 Dmitry Kulikov 33 D 24 0 2 2 -1 16 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 15 0.0 334 13:55
21 Sergei Bobrovsky 35 G 24 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0   1420 59:09
22 Kyle Okposo 35 RW 17 0 2 2 -1 10 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 16 0.0 145 8:33
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And this is the type of "planning" that the Flyers need to stop doing. They re-sign guys who are getting up there to long term deals, watch their game deteriorate, buy them out, and then do the same stupid shite over again. 

Konecny is my favorite Flyer...but if we really want to build a champion, guys like him need to go before we're trying to figure out what the buyout is on him.

This post needs to be a banner on top of every page of this site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

It seems to me keeping or trading TK depends on just two things: 1) how long it'll take before the Flyers can realistically compete for the Cup, and 2) his next contract, what he wants. A minor #3 is the logjam on RW but top-line RW is Konecny's to lose.

In 5 years Konecny will be 32. To me that's an appropriate cutoff point. If Briere thinks within 5 years the Flyers are one of the best teams in the league he should re-sign TK. Do we agree on that?

As for the contract as long as it's somewhere around 10% of the team's cap I'm good with it. 

Konecny is a unique player stuck on weak rosters his whole time in Philly. It's no surprise he doesn't have Brad Marchand's numbers. He's your favorite Flyer so obviously you value his game. You also want to trade him so I'm curious ... what is your timeline? Or is my whole timeline thing missing something?

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Marchand may be an outlier, but now that he's done it.

He was the 23 year old helping them win it all and well has also fought to win them another one as well.

If the Flyers do ever win one like that they may have that guy coming soon when they win it all too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It seems to me keeping or trading TK depends on just two things: 1) how long it'll take before the Flyers can realistically compete for the Cup, and 2) his next contract, what he wants. A minor #3 is the logjam on RW but top-line RW is Konecny's to lose.

In 5 years Konecny will be 32. To me that's an appropriate cutoff point. If Briere thinks within 5 years the Flyers are one of the best teams in the league he should re-sign TK. Do we agree on that?

As for the contract as long as it's somewhere around 10% of the team's cap I'm good with it. 

Konecny is a unique player stuck on weak rosters his whole time in Philly. It's no surprise he doesn't have Brad Marchand's numbers. He's your favorite Flyer so obviously you value his game. You also want to trade him so I'm curious ... what is your timeline? Or is my whole timeline thing missing something?

The Flyers need 1. A #1 centre

2. A #1 defenceman

3. A #1 goalie. 

Among other things.

How long do you think it will take the Flyers to get a true #1 centre AND defenceman drafting in the middle of the pack...which is where we'll continually draft if we don't tear it down? I'll guess forever. I mean sure we could totally luck out again in this draft and have something great fall into our laps...but totally lucking out hasn't really worked for us a whole lot over a period of decades, other than Michkov, has it? We did get a 2nd overall in a lottery of a lame draft who's career ended with injury. It certainly didn't help us contend.

I posted the other day how I think Konecny could put up more points on a team with a real top line centre and real talent around him. I'm not knocking some of the players Philly has, cause I like some of them. But they overachieved, and still missed the playoffs. That's how close they are to contending....not very. Of course Briere thinks they could contend in 5 years....every GM thinks that. The reality is, you need players who can compete against prime McDavid/Draisaitl/Barkov presently, or Bedard/Celebrini types in 5 years. Those teams (Chicago/SJ etc) have been loading up on top end talent for a few years while Philly lucked out that ONE guy fell to them in the draft. Our other talent is all middle 6 or lower and 2nd line defence. That's what we should be aiming for is competing against that. 

I doubt Konecny wants to sign a 5 year contract at this stage of his career...pretty sure he'd want 7-8. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

2. A #1 defenceman

3. A #1 goalie. 

Among other things.

How long do you think it will take the Flyers to get a true #1 centre AND defenceman drafting in the middle of the pack...which is where we'll continually draft if we don't tear it down? I'll guess forever. I mean sure we could totally luck out again in this draft and have something great fall into our laps...but totally lucking out hasn't really worked for us a whole lot over a period of decades, other than Michkov, has it? We did get a 2nd overall in a lottery of a lame draft who's career ended with injury. It certainly didn't help us contend.

I posted the other day how I think Konecny could put up more points on a team with a real top line centre and real talent around him. I'm not knocking some of the players Philly has, cause I like some of them. But they overachieved, and still missed the playoffs. That's how close they are to contending....not very. Of course Briere thinks they could contend in 5 years....every GM thinks that. The reality is, you need players who can compete against prime McDavid/Draisaitl/Barkov presently, or Bedard/Celebrini types in 5 years. Those teams (Chicago/SJ etc) have been loading up on top end talent for a few years while Philly lucked out that ONE guy fell to them in the draft. Our other talent is all middle 6 or lower and 2nd line defence. That's what we should be aiming for is competing against that. 

I doubt Konecny wants to sign a 5 year contract at this stage of his career...pretty sure he'd want 7-8. 

I don't want him here, at the end of that 7-8 year deal. If that's what he wants, see ya Travis. Good luck elsewhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m having a hard time grasping the “TK (by himself or with more) for a draft pick” thought.  You’re going to trade your best asset for an unknown.  That doesn’t sit well with me.   I can get behind trading picks for picks as long as the trade isn’t outrageous.

It's too bad that I only have one up-vote to give you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

2. A #1 defenceman

3. A #1 goalie. 

I am a believer in having a minute eating #1 stud on the defense.

Which guy on Florida would you say is that guy?

Forsling, Ekblad, Montour?

When I think about FLA's defense I don't see Victor Hedman.

I see a bunch of 2s.

A skill they all have is great first passes, and they're all very mobile, they'll hit you but really they want to get the puck first or off your stick.

I wonder if what we just saw from them is a data point or the beginning of a trend ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think there's 32 true #1 defensemen in the league, and yeah... Florida's one of the teams that doesn't have one.

I see a bunch of 2s.

A skill they all have is great first passes, and they're all very mobile, they'll hit you but really they want to get the puck first or off your stick.

I think that Zito built the blueline the right way. Most of the their guys have

-good height/reach who can deny zone entries and can knock down passes.

-good mobility so they can retrieve pucks.

-enough weight so they can break the cycle.

-good pass out of the zone.

Florida led the league in hits this year, but they don't really have a blueline that spends a lot of time hitting. Their busiest hitter was Niko Mikkola, who was the 34th-most active hitter among defensemen in the NHL last season, with 7.23 Hits/60.

Kulikov, 37th

Ekblad, 72nd

OEL, 83rd

Montour, 90th

Forsling, 98th

This makes, and it's a good thing. A defenseman getting a hit is good, but if your defensemen are getting a lot of hits, then you're spending too much time defending.

I wonder if what we just saw from them is a data point or the beginning of a trend ?

The good teams in the league have preferred two-way defensemen with a range of skills for some time now.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

2. A #1 defenceman

3. A #1 goalie. 

So with that said if you don't think you can get any of those wouldn't it best then to trade back maybe even to pick up an extra in the deeper draft in 2025?

Just asking or is it just best player regardless at 12?

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I see a bunch of 2s.

Back when Philly drafted Sanheim/Provorov/Ginning/York and a few others I was saying maybe they could start a trend (instead of constantly chasing them) of rolling a deep pool of defencemen so you don't wear down your top pair. It was just an idea, but here we are 5 years later and our pool doesn't seem to be any deeper than it was then. We would certainly need to add a bit more size and snarl back there to play against contenders, but there is a starting point for it. 

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So with that said if you don't think you can get any of those wouldn't it best then to trade back maybe even to pick up an extra in the deeper draft in 2025?

Just asking or is it just best player regardless at 12?

It looks to me (just my opinion) that after the top 12 or 13 there's a bit of a drop off. I really don't want out of that, but also think giving up 3 - 1sts to move into Columbus' spot is a bit rich. We should be able to get something decent at 12, but may have to wait til next year for the top centre or dman. 

That's why I don't get this type of rebuild. Blow it up and we'd already have that higher pick, PLUS those other 1st rounders, PLUS whatever other assets you pick up when you blew it up. 

• Like 1

It looks to me (just my opinion) that after the top 12 or 13 there's a bit of a drop off. I really don't want out of that, but also think giving up 3 - 1sts to move into Columbus' spot is a bit rich. We should be able to get something decent at 12, but may have to wait til next year for the top centre or dman. 

That's why I don't get this type of rebuild. Blow it up and we'd already have that higher pick, PLUS those other 1st rounders, PLUS whatever other assets you pick up when you blew it up. 

The most I would go for #4 is Farabee, #12 and Colorado 1st...maybe a 2nd rd...if necessary. Anything more than that..pound rocks.

Back when Philly drafted Sanheim/Provorov/Ginning/York and a few others I was saying maybe they could start a trend (instead of constantly chasing them) of rolling a deep pool of defencemen so you don't wear down your top pair. It was just an idea, but here we are 5 years later and our pool doesn't seem to be any deeper than it was then. We would certainly need to add a bit more size and snarl back there to play against contenders, but there is a starting point for it. 

Welcome to Flyerland. Middle round draft picks. Perceived lack of development and coaching up. Coach by humiliation by the troglidyte behind the bench. Nepotistic management looking for that one more piece , whilst striving for mediocrity .We have all been reviewing this film for 30 years.  

It's all about asset management. Zito just won a cup by making shrewd additions by subtraction. The correct move with TK is to trade him. The timeline of being a contender and the wear and tear on his body says so. They have to put a stop to the assinine contracts like Coots extorted out of them.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I really don't want out of that, but also think giving up 3 - 1sts to move into Columbus' spot is a bit

Yeah is it too much to give up maybe 3 really good players for one elite one though?

Seriously asking?

And giving up 3 assets for one to only have that one bust would be a huge huge set back.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah is it too much to give up maybe 3 really good players for one elite one though?

Seriously asking?

And giving up 3 assets for one to only have that one bust would be a huge huge set back.

If one of those assets, is a high pick from next year, I don't have much problem with it. There could be still be opportunities, to get that pick back, next season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seriously asking?

Think you answered your own question. Columbus is picking 4th. Do you get 'elite" at 4th? You could...maybe.