2024 Entry Level Draft - Confirmed Flyers pick at #12

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

TK had 29 points-less games last year. No more than three in a row - once.

Frost started off point-less in his first six games and during his "hot" spring he had two points-less stretches of three games, another of four, and finished the season blanked in the last six games. That's 16 games with no points while he's supposedly "hot".

I don't get the fascination - did he buy you a beer at a bar once or something? #Esche

I don't. I just don't think he's that good. It's hanging around waiting for a guy to be "that guy" that has the Flyers where they are now.

This year is his chance. His last chance.

It's definitely his last chance and probably Farabees too.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

It's definitely his last chance and probably Farabees too.

Farabee has actually put up 22 goals and 50 points in the league as a 24-year-old. He's under contract at a reasonable number and as a wing isn't expected to have the same impact that your alleged #2 center does.

While he's actually had more of an impact than Frost.

That said, I'm more than OK walking away from Farabee for a good return.

There's really nobody on the roster I'm overly attached to.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

TK had 29 points-less games last year. No more than three in a row - once.

Frost started off point-less in his first six games and during his "hot" spring he had two points-less stretches of three games, another of four, and finished the season blanked in the last six games. That's 16 games with no points while he's supposedly "hot".

I don't get the fascination - did he buy you a beer at a bar once or something? #Esche

I don't. I just don't think he's that good. It's hanging around waiting for a guy to be "that guy" that has the Flyers where they are now.

This year is his chance. His last chance.

No, he didn't buy me a beer,.but all we hear is how we need skill and he is our most skilled center and yes the rest of our centers have hands of cement.  Some of the plays I have seen Frost make ,I have never seen made by other Flyers.  I do agree he needs to turn it up a few notches or his days in Philly are over.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Farabee has actually put up 22 goals and 50 points in the league as a 24-year-old. He's under contract at a reasonable number and as a wing isn't expected to have the same impact that your alleged #2 center does.

While he's actually had more of an impact than Frost.

That said, I'm more than OK walking away from Farabee for a good return.

There's really nobody on the roster I'm overly attached to.

I agree, nobody is safe,except Michkov,.but I do like Tippett and Foerster.  We haven't had snipers like them since Reggie Leach. 

42 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

160lb runt like Catton

He is a boy. 

And a he's a young one at that.

He may get man weight that will put him around 175. He may work in the gym that may put him around 185.

He is an elite skater and playmaker.

Elite.

Morgan Frost is elite at ? 

I'd rather have a runt with crazy talent than a just a place holder.

Put him on with Forester or your boy Tipp, now that line has some size. 

Problem solved.

We've seen what Frost does with those guys. Drives play. weeeeeeee, that's like winning a trade. Amirite? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He is a boy. 

He may get man weight that will put him around 175. He may work in the gym that may put him around 185.

Elite.

Problem solved.

We've seen what Frost does with those guys. Drives play. weeeeeeee, that's like winning a trade. Amirite? 

I really like Catton. Elite skill, skating...nothing to sneeze at. Would make a great addition, seems a tad out of range, but a few surprise picks...never know. 

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He is a boy. 

Elite.

Problem solved.

I'm not comparing the runt to Frost. I'm comparing him to Yak and Dickinson,  who I'd rather have because big skilled dman are harder to find.  If they are gone then I guess we go with the runt.  If we draft the runt, then we are stuck with Frost for a few more years while the runt bulks up in juniors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

I'm not comparing the runt to Frost. I'm comparing him to Yak and Dickinson,  who I'd rather have because big skilled dman are harder to find.  If they are gone then I guess we go with the runt.  If we draft the runt, then we are stuck with Frost for a few more years while the runt bulks up in juniors.

"The runt" would deke 6'4" Ristolainen out of his jockstrap and have him bodycheck himself out of the game.

• Haha 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

"The runt" would deke 6'4" Ristolainen out of his jockstrap and have him bodycheck himself out of the game.

Brad Marsh would deke Risto too.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

P.S. if anyone on this board is a runt, don't take it personally.  Hopefully you are hung like a Rembrandt to make up for it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He is a boy. 

Elite.

Problem solved.

There are other boys like Yak and Dickinson who are over 6ft and weigh 200 lbs. I'll take them.

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There are other boys like Yak and Dickinson who are over 6ft and weigh 200 lbs. I'll take them.

If Catton was over 6 feet he'd likely go 2nd overall. You don't get those guys picking 12th. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If Catton was over 6 feet he'd likely go 2nd overall. You don't get those guys picking 12th. 

If I had a 12 in dong I’d be John Holmes instead of Ron Jeremey. I know, that’s why I’m going with Yak or Dickinsin if they are available or we trade up. If not then I guess it’s Catton or Helinius. 

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

If I had a 12 in dong I’d be John Holmes instead of Ron Jeremey. I know, that’s why I’m going with Yak or Dickinsin if they are available or we trade up. If not then I guess it’s Catton or Helinius. 

I think that's where I am with the #12 pick.   If it's one of the D-men or Catton, I have to think long and hard. But I'm probably going D with the thought that by the time he's ready (not called up, but ready) it may be time to dump Sanheim for cap room.

At the same time, we really need some competent centers.  I want to say that's at least half the problem with Farabee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I just wrote previously (before seeing this), if Catton and one of the dmen is at #12, I have a hard time.   I still think with his size, though, that Catton ends up on the wing or a pushed around center in the playoffs.  But I'm willing anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think that's where I am with the #12 pick.   If it's one of the D-men or Catton, I have to think long and hard. But I'm probably going D with the thought that by the time he's ready (not called up, but ready) it may be time to dump Sanheim for cap room.

At the same time, we really need some competent centers.  I want to say that's at least half the problem with Farabee.

The bottom line is we really don’t have a legit #1 center or a legit #1 dman. So in my eyes since this draft is loaded with dmen , I’m going defense. I also think that Yak and Dickinson have a better shot at being a top pair guy than Catton has at being a top center for the very reasons you said. I also don’t think York,Sanheim or Drysdale are #1 defenseman either. I also agree that when you don’t have any playmaking, play driving centers your wingers are not gonna score like they should. Guys like Tippett, Foerester,Farabee and Brink need some playmakers to set them up. That’s why I’m all for trading TK or Drysdale for a young center or high pick like Lindstrom to really make an impact at the draft. Walking away with a top dman and center would be great, otherwise we have to hope we are bad enough next year to land a center at the 25 draft. Michkov is a play driver and will make his teammates better, but Coots skates like a sloth, Laughton has hands of stone, so we have Poehling who has better offensive skills than shown or Frost to play with Michkov. So at this point Frost and Poehling are the top two centers. I think Coots is a third liner now. 

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So at this point Frost and Poehling are the top two centers. I think Coots is a third liner now. 

I wouldn't say this is a hard disagree, but I think Poehling is very effective on the 4th and maybe the 3rd and playing against equivalent talent.  I'd like to see more of him on higher lines, but I think this is where other teams have erred with him.  I think he makes Laughton even more expendable than he previously was.

I've been a Frost cheerleader, but I would move him if the right package came along.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wouldn't say this is a hard disagree, but I think Poehling is very effective on the 4th and maybe the 3rd and playing against equivalent talent.  I'd like to see more of him on higher lines, but I think this is where other teams have erred with him.  I think he makes Laughton even more expendable than he previously was.

I've been a Frost cheerleader, but I would move him if the right package came along.

Poehling is definitely very good on the third or fourth line, but unless Coots makes a big comeback , Poehling may end up as our second line center. Coots was totally shot down the stretch last year. Coots is very slow and even slower now with the bad back. We have to cut down Coots ice time to preserve what’s left of him. Poehlings size and skating are there and he has shown flashes of offensive skill, whether he can take a step up  and score more remains to be seen.

34 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Poehling was taken ahead of Frost in the same draft.

They are adequate NHL players.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, radoran said:

They are adequate NHL players.

I think this sums it up nicely.

Whiich is 3rd/4th line, move up in a pinch.   I don't think either is top two lines on a good team.   If they remain Flyers, it will be quite awhile until we prove out this theory.

Edited by ruxpin

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

That's cool.

I was though, I think the runt would be an immediate upgrade on Frost. 

Alas,

Teams don't trade out of the top 10. 

I can't remember that happening- especially recently. 

I don't think Dickenson is around @ 12 .

We'll be lucky of Yakemchuck is still around.  I don't think I reach for a d-man not in that consensus top 15. I don't think I would want to see the team jump on board with a late riser. Lots of those dudes will be around at 31/32 , 36 and 51.

Catton would be a great add for a team that needs skill.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

What people forget is that this is an 18 year old boy who has another year or two of growing to do. When you consider that he's 5'11 3/4 tall, it's not inconceivable to believe that he'll grow another 2 inches before all is said and done. That's a nearly 6'2 tall man. That's more than big enough to be a number one center. And when you consider that 2 inches is 5 centimetres, it's not much at all. As for Lindstrom, he had a bad back that caused him to miss nearly 30 games. This franchise doesn't have a good track record with back injuries (LeClair, Couturier). No thank you.

• Like 4