Drysdale needs core surgery in offseason

27 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Just one year before I die, I would love Flyers management and ownership, to come out and say "We're tired of being average at best". "We're not going to be very good this year"..."Bear with us, as we rebuild this roster into something we feel is Cup-worthy, one day".

I've said this before, but it is a non-stop frustration with this franchise. Middling and mediocre, or nothing.

You Sir have the post of the day!

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Just one year before I die, I would love Flyers management and ownership, to come out and say "We're tired of being average at best". "We're not going to be very good this year"..."Bear with us, as we rebuild this roster into something we feel is Cup-worthy, one day".

I've said this before, but it is a non-stop frustration with this franchise. Middling and mediocre, or nothing.

For ages the Flyers have not built a proper team and have put their players in a position to fail and also for the younger guys to never fully develop. We have always had too many holes and not enough depth so we overused the veterans and ran them into the ground and you put way too much responsibility on the young guys, they lost confidence and never developed properly. For example, for years you had Eric Desjardins as your #1 dman and he played huge minutes, PP, PK ,etc , his partner was Therein, who is really a third pair dman.  Every year by the time the playoffs came around Desjardins was run down. They never got enough help on defense and had to rely on one guy who had to carry a mediocre partner. This was the same situation,where they never got enough secondary scoring to support the Lindros line, once that line was shutdown, it was over. Provorov was another example of this, when he was teamed with Niskanen, he played his best hockey and was developing well. Once Niskanen retired Provo was put in a situation to fail, he was now the go to guy and played huge minutes on a bad team while having a parade of crappy partners like Braun. . It’s no wonder he failed, had they gotten a good partner for him, he would have been a success. Now we have  guys Laughton and Poehling centering the top two lines at times. We have had guys playing in roles they have no business being in and it’s been going on for years, I can name so many more examples of this for the past 40 years. Things are so bad Zamula is on the PP. How are our finishers supposed to if is when we only have one play making center, Morgan Frost, he is the only guy who creates finesse plays out there. I laugh when I hear that he should be traded, no Laughton and Coots should be traded, but nobody is trading for Coots. We also need a legit # a dman.  I really hope we make the right moves at this draft, our first big piece of the rebuild, Gauthier is gone, time is wasting. P.S.,  if any team around 5-9 pick offered their pick for Drysdale, I’d get rid of that little boy in a second to draft Dickinson.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

On 4/20/2024 at 5:27 PM, RonJeremy said:

Why wasn’t surgery done months ago to ensure 100% he will be ready for camp? I thought we got rid of the incompetent medical staff? 

Because surgery is almost always the last option.

If an injury can heal with rest and rehab therapy,  doctors,  nearly every one, will recommend that course of action.

So you are actually upset by competence. 

It's alright.

Every one wants the team to be better and no one has the magic wand to make it so. 

The team isn't doing what some folks want-  so every decision sucks. Guys whose careers haven't really started are busts.  

These recent off seasons have been lit. Good times up in this.

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll day it again - let Drysdale have the surgery. Let him get healthy. Do not play him until December. Let him get game ready before throwing him out there after this type of surgery. The kid hasn't healed from his previous surgeries. That explains why he's injury prone.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Because surgery is almost always the last option.

If an injury can heal with rest and rehab therapy,  doctors,  nearly every one, will recommend that course of action.

So you are actually upset by competence. 

It's alright.

Every one wants the team to be better and no one has the magic wand to make it so. 

The team isn't doing what some folks want-  so every decision sucks. Guys whose careers haven't really started are busts.  

These recent off seasons have been lit. Good times up in this.

In my follow up I was referring to Risto.Usually if you have a torn bicep or triceps, you need surgery. In the Flyers previous injury cases, you need two surgeries.

Edited by RonJeremy

17 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I get you. This is an understandable pov. I’ve chosen a different route. In the past two seasons I have just tuned out. As a result my stress level over all things Flyers has diminished. Quite honestly I’m not missing anything. It’s very much like watching today’s movies. They are trash. A bunch of poorly written pieces of uninteresting garbage. One day, the Flyers will put a product on the ice that will be worth watching. When that happens I will tune back in. In the meantime they are uninteresting pieces of garbage. And like movies, I tune back in every now and then just to stay somewhat in the know, in hopes that I get to see a gem

i did they same thing back in the late 80s, early 90s, prior to Eric arriving. It worked then. It’s working now

• Like 3

On 5/31/2024 at 5:18 PM, RonJeremy said:

I realize that , but it was months..

Maybe it was a middling case where early on rest and rehab seemed okay? IDK. Dont know Flyguys have this cloud over them...Couts, Farabee, Atkinson, Ellis, and now Risto...what the hell man

On 6/2/2024 at 9:34 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've said it before and I'll day it again - let Drysdale have the surgery. Let him get healthy. Do not play him until December. Let him get game ready before throwing him out there after this type of surgery. The kid hasn't healed from his previous surgeries. That explains why he's injury prone.

They are unrelated injuries, a bad shoulder has nothing to do witha core injury. Maybe he's just injury prone. I hope not, but that's the feeling I get.

8 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Maybe it was a middling case where early on rest and rehab seemed okay?

It's just weird that practically every case with the Flyers is that way until it turns out that they need surgery a couple months later.

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

was this just a guess because someone read something on webmd?

I think they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

So, did he have surgery or was this just a guess because someone read something on webmd?

I heard Drysdale had surgery but the core injury was not a bad case and he will be ready for camp. Then again we heard that about alot of guys, who then needed a second surgery.  I think Risto had surgery too.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

They are unrelated injuries, a bad shoulder has nothing to do witha core injury. Maybe he's just injury prone. I hope not, but that's the feeling I get.

Actually the shoulder injury does play in part with his core injury. That game against Pittsburgh where he hurt his shoulder, he leaned forward to reach the puck because he was really labouring with his skating that game. It was clear that the core injury (sports hernia) was bugging him. If he was healthy, he wouldn't have laboured and tried to reach for the puck. 

If you go back through his injury history, everything can be tied to not being fully healed. People have a tendency to overcompensate in other areas to protect an injury to help an injury heal. So, even if Drysdale had a shoulder injury, there was something else going on that caused him to overcompensate. 

I don't know about anyone else, but when I tore my groin muscle and adductor muscle, I ended up with hip issues. I was told in physio that I was overcompensating got those injuries by overextending using my left leg more than my right leg (tore the right from muscle). So yes, not being fully healed from other injuries can cause other injuries. 

I don't think Drysdale is injury prone because he wasn't injury prone in junior hockey. He has just had a series of unfortunate injuries. It happens.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Actually the shoulder injury does play in part with his core injury. That game against Pittsburgh where he hurt his shoulder, he leaned forward to reach the puck because he was really labouring with his skating that game. It was clear that the core injury (sports hernia) was bugging him. If he was healthy, he wouldn't have laboured and tried to reach for the puck. 

If you go back through his injury history, everything can be tied to not being fully healed. People have a tendency to overcompensate in other areas to protect an injury to help an injury heal. So, even if Drysdale had a shoulder injury, there was something else going on that caused him to overcompensate. 

I don't know about anyone else, but when I tore my groin muscle and adductor muscle, I ended up with hip issues. I was told in physio that I was overcompensating got those injuries by overextending using my left leg more than my right leg (tore the right from muscle). So yes, not being fully healed from other injuries can cause other injuries. 

I don't think Drysdale is injury prone because he wasn't injury prone in junior hockey. He has just had a series of unfortunate injuries. It happens.

I hope so, I'm fed up with all the injuries.  So many of our prospects were setback due to injuries,  then we traded for Ellis and he played four games, we acquired Johansen who is also injured. Then we traded for Drysdale who has had three major injuries/ surgeries . After all the Lindros injuries and then Nolan Patrick,  I'm a little skeptical of trading for or drafting any guys that got injured at a young age , especially multiple injuries. There's a good young center in the draft, Lindstrom who missed half a season with a bad back, even if I fell to us , I'd be very wary of drafting him, even though he us exactly what we need. We have been burned with these injuries too many times.

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If he was healthy, he wouldn't have laboured and tried to reach for the puck. 

It's pretty simple. If he wasn't healthy, he shouldn't have been on the ice. If he's going to injure himself again while compensating for the injury has hasn't fully healed from, don't put him on the ice.

Flyers even kept trying to roll Ryan Ellis back out there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's pretty simple. If he wasn't healthy, he shouldn't have been on the ice. If he's going to injure himself again while compensating for the injury has hasn't fully healed from, don't put him on the ice.

Watching the presser with Jonesy and Hillf...he has a hockey nickname so I guess he's "in", yesterday; Those guys spoke extensively about doing things the right way ,wanting to be a destination for free agents and playing for the Flyers meaning something more than just getting paid to play hockey.

Perhaps a different approach to rehab and injury recovery could be another way to separate the organization from the pack.

I know hockey players are tough but it would be great to be able to protect them from themselves. Keep them from coming back from an injury too early.

I admire the toughness, but a not fully recovered player isn't effective and often leads to the Flyers over the last 10 years.

If Drysdale's surgery was less significant than expected they should err on the side of caution to be sure he's really ready.

This could be another way Jonesy could "get it right".

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Watching the presser with Jonesy and Hillf...he has a hockey nickname so I guess he's "in", yesterday; Those guys spoke extensively about doing things the right way ,wanting to be a destination for free agents and playing for the Flyers meaning something more than just getting paid to play hockey.

Perhaps a different approach to rehab and injury recovery could be another way to separate the organization from the pack.

I know hockey players are tough but it would be great to be able to protect them from themselves. Keep them from coming back from an injury too early.

I admire the toughness, but a not fully recovered player isn't effective and often leads to the Flyers over the last 10 years.

If Drysdale's surgery was less significant than expected they should err on the side of caution to be sure he's really ready.

This could be another way Jonesy could "get it right".

As far as I know we have new trainers and medical staff. So I hope the injury problems improve. 

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It's tough because it's asking a coach to make a decision that could adversely affect the outcome of a game.

Of course, playing the player can adversely affect the outcome of a game.

Cam York said he probably shouldn't have played the Stadium Series game with the Devils but he "wanted to."

So he did, and was -3 in a 6-3 loss. 🤔

The problem is that the coach and the team want the player to be healed and back to 100% and so they will overlook indications that they aren't.

And the team and player will absolutely declare they were 100% ready to play and then after a disappointing season they'll say that you really couldn't have expected someone to be 100% coming back from injury.

It's always good news for the Flyers - and that's one reason they have one playoff round win in 13 years.

:hocky:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radoran said:

You know what I really think the problem is? These guys get surgery, they start their rehab right away. They do their rehab, they see the team doctors and the team doctors clear the players immediately and they either stay playing or practicing right away. There's no ramping up into game shape, it's just go go go. We saw it with Farabee after his neck injury and surgery. Was cleared to practice and play, but had no time to train and his play suffered greatly. 

Hopefully we start to see a change with regards to this. Just my own $0.02 on the subject.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 6:36 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

So, did he have surgery or was this just a guess because someone read something on webmd?

He had surgery yesterday. DB is talking October ready, that's like 5 months. He may be injury prone, who knows, but I don't really understand all the kvetching.

EDIT: surgery was *announced* yesterday, had it sometime in the last few weeks. 

Edited by Podein25

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/latest-news/sean-couturier-reveals-he-had-sports-hernia-surgery

And now Couturier days he had the surgery as well. WTF is going on with all these core/sports hernia surgeries with the Flyers players. This is ridiculous. The easy these guys are getting training instruction and then being skated into the ground at practice is paying a toll on the players. This isn't normal.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

these guys are getting training instruction and then being skated into the ground at practice is paying a toll on the players. This isn't normal.

It's Flyer Culture.

Laughton isn't injured.

It's like expecting 120% all the time and getting upset at 110% doesn't work long term in this league.

🤔

5 hours ago, radoran said:

It's Flyer Culture.

Laughton isn't injured.

It's like expecting 120% all the time and getting upset at 110% doesn't work long term in this league.

🤔

We don't need top end talent...we just need 120% out of everyone all the time. To maybe make the playoffs. 

Ancient Flyese Proverb.

• Haha 1