Sidney Crosby NEWS

1 goal and 2 assists for Sidney Crosby tonight. Sidney Crosby now needs to score 9 goals in 3 games if he wants to make it to 600 this season.

Crosby of Penguins voted most complete player in NHLPA poll for 5th consecutive season

McDavid of Oilers forward to have in must-win game; Vasilevskiy of Lightning go-to goalie

https://www.nhl.com/news/2024-nhlpa-poll-results-released

Sidney Crosby becomes the 14th member of the NHL 1000 Assists Club

01. 1963 – Wayne Gretzky

02. 1249 – Ron Francis

03. 1193 – Mark Messier

04. 1169 – Ray Bourque

05. 1155 – Jaromir Jagr

06. 1135 – Paul Coffey

07. 1109 – Joe Thornton

08. 1079 – Adam Oates

09. 1063 – Steve Yzerman

10. 1049 – Gordie Howe

11. 1040 – Marcel Dionne

12. 1033 – Mario Lemieux

13. 1016 – Joe Sakic

14. 1000 – Sidney Crosby

Crosby sets up Karlsson’s OT game-winner for 1,000th assist

Watch as Pittsburgh Penguins forward Sidney Crosby earns an assist on teammate Erik Karlsson’s game-winning goal to record the 1,000th assist of his career and move into 9th on the NHL’s all-time with point No. 1,591.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/crosby-sets-up-karlssons-ot-game-winner-for-1000th-assist/

Crosby gets 1000th assist on OT winner

Erik Karlsson gets a pass in the high slot form Sidney Crosby and hammers a slap shot into the back of the net, giving the Penguins the win in overtime and Crosby his 1000th NHL assist

https://www.nhl.com/video/det-pit-karlsson-scores-goal-against-detroit-red-wings-6350733858112

When The NHL Pisses Off Sidney Crosby

• Good Post 1

Pens need to finish 23rd in the standings to keep their 1st round pick. This also would guarantee their golf game start the moment game 82 ends. My question is why would they want to make the post season? 

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Pens need to finish 23rd in the standings to keep their 1st round pick. This also would guarantee their golf game start the moment game 82 ends. My question is why would they want to make the post season? 

Because they've got Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. They could win another Stanley Cup.

35 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

Because they've got Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. They could win another Stanley Cup.

They could if they truly wanted to. I actually believe their goal is an early tee time. 

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

They could if they truly wanted to. I actually believe their goal is an early tee time. 

So far, they are still making the playoffs. They have to win all three of their remaining games, and Washington and Detroit have to keep losing.

8 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

So far, they are still making the playoffs. They have to win all three of their remaining games, and Washington and Detroit have to keep losing.

Let's hope the Pens finish 23rd in the standings. Which I believe is the goal of management. The team wants an early tee time. 

• 4 months later...

New Crosby Contract Uncertainty; Let’s Admit One Thing

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/new-sidney-crosby-contract-uncertainty-pittsburgh-penguins-lets-admit-one-thing/

It’s been a summer of unexpected uncertainty surrounding Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby and his next contract, which still has no conclusion. It’s been a long ride since last March when sources confided in Pittsburgh Hockey Now that Crosby was dedicated to helping the Penguins turn around the a couple of bad seasons.

However, that was before conversations with president of hockey operations/GM Kyle Dubas and the subsequent offseason moves to acquire Cody Glass, Kevin Hayes, Anthony Beauvillier, and Blake Lizotte. They are the highlights of the forward group. Matt Grzelcyk’s signing highlighted the back end.

The Washington Capitals, New Jersey Devils, and Ottawa Senators have addressed needs and improved. The Penguins, instead, acquired draft picks for the coming retool or rebuild.

Friday, Sportsnet reporter Elliotte Friedman added a little more context to a summer’s worth of reports and non-reports. As part of his latest 32 Thoughts, Friedman said he believed the Penguins had offered Crosby multiple options, and the ball rests in his court.

“One thing I wonder is if Crosby is simply sitting here saying, ‘I’ve got no problem with the offers, I’ve got no problem with the Penguins, but if we’re not going to be making the playoffs, am I going to be able to handle that,'” said Friedman.

His words fell short of a report but amplified what we’ve also come to believe. The contract situation is about Crosby battling the fundamental conflict between the head and the heart. Of course, he wants to remain with the Penguins for the remainder of his career–he and everyone else have clearly stated that a few hundred times.

Crosby witnessed Marc-Andre Fleury come back to Pittsburgh with tears in his eyes. He witnessed Pittsburgh fans (stupidly) boo Jaromir Jagr for years. The emotional turmoil of leaving, being sold to the highest (acceptable) bidder on the trade block, or shopping the free agent market, unsure of where you’re going to live for the next few years, just doesn’t sound like Crosby’s cup of tea.

However, he must also realize, just as we all must realize, that he no longer fits. His goals and the Penguins’ goals are different, and even if he subjugated his hope to win another Stanley Cup, he’s self-aware enough to realize that his presence could delay the Penguins’ rebuild by winning enough games to be competitive but not enough to make the playoffs or be competitive beyond the first round.

There would be no tangible benefit to either side in that scenario. It’s not the first time we’ve explained this, but it’s getting more real by the day.

Dubas and Crosby’s camp have diligently kept discussions out of the media and have been public only about that goal. However, Dubas also tipped the Penguins’ hand when discussing his roster construction. As part of laying out his plans for the Penguins’ future, Dubas told reporters he wanted to acquire young players and draft picks “as urgently as possible” so those impressionable professional hockey neophytes could be influenced by Crosby and the Penguins core.

While not definitive, Friedman’s educated insights surely confirm the Penguins’ interest in Crosby staying through the transition period from “his” era to what comes next. They’ve offered the soft landing to his career in exchange for his mentorship for young players. Still, there’s only one blue-chipper in the Penguins system- Rutger McGroarty– who was the Team USA captain at the World Juniors and is eager to begin his NHL career.

The rest of the youth movement will trickle in between 2025 and 2029…and beyond. However, aside from McGroarty, there are no guarantees right now. There are no forwards nor defensemen who surely project to be able to take top-six roles beside Crosby or be impactful on the blue line.

A couple of prospects might fill that role, especially 2024 second-round picks Harrison Brunicke (defense) and Tanner Howe (winger), but it could be two to four years (or more) before either is ready to make their NHL debut.

What happens next is up to Crosby. He’s earned the right to stay, and he’s earned the right to leave. Whatever Crosby decides, it doesn’t need to sever the relationship with the Penguins organization and fans.

It just means it’s best for both parties, which is an obligation Crosby has always fulfilled.

Friedman: Sidney Crosby Still Undecided On Extension

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/09/friedman-sidney-crosby-still-undecided-on-extension.html

Entering the final season of his 12-year, $104.4MM mega-deal with the Penguins, franchise cornerstone Sidney Crosby became eligible to sign an extension on July 1 this year. A deal seemed close shortly after that, with reports suggesting the two sides would formalize an extension weeks into free agency. However, with no news yet, Elliotte Friedman said on today’s “32 Thoughts” podcast that Crosby is still weighing whether he wants to sign any of the multiple offers presented to him by Pittsburgh general manager Kyle Dubas.

Crosby’s uncertainty isn’t related to a desire to maximize his earning potential in the latter stages of his career – it’s simply about whether he’s prepared to spend the final years of his time as a top-of-the-lineup player on a retooling Pittsburgh club. The Penguins have presented him with multiple offers with varying lengths, all of which are acceptable to Crosby in theory, Friedman notes.

One thing I wonder is if Crosby is simply sitting here saying ’I’ve got no problem with the offers, I’ve got no problem with the Penguins, but if we’re not going to be making the playoffs, am I going to be able to handle that?’ I think that’s one of the things he’d kind of weighing. My prediction is he stays because I think he’s a Penguin and he wants to be a Penguin, but I’ve tried to ask around about why it isn’t done, and I think one of the reasons is it’s the summer and he doesn’t need to rush. He’s still got time. And I think the other one is what if it’s like that? Is [he] going to be able to deal with it, because he’s still at the top of his game and he’s competitive.

With the extension saga beginning to draw out into its third month, there’s been more discussion about contingency plans and ripple effects if he enters training camp in a couple of weeks without a deal in place. Travis Yost of TSN posited earlier this week that Crosby may accept a trade elsewhere at the deadline, allowing the Pens to bolster their future with a presumably gargantuan trade return before signing back in Pittsburgh as an unrestricted free agency next summer. Last month, Josh Yohe of The Athletic wrote about the off-ice impact of Crosby not extending before camp.

Crosby has one season left on his deal at an $8.7MM cap hit, but he’s owed just $3MM in salary this year. It’s the same structure his extremely front-loaded contract has carried since the 2022-23 campaign.

If there’s a lack of urgency from Crosby’s end to the degree that Friedman implies, it’s becoming more plausible than not that he’s still not signed past 2025 when camp kicks off in less than two weeks. Pittsburgh still needs his best if they have any intention of closing the three-point gap that kept them out of the postseason for the second year in a row last season. The 37-year-old had 42 goals and 94 points in all 82 games en route to finishing ninth in Hart Trophy voting, his highest finish in the MVP tally since 2021.

Sidney Crosby Delays Contract Despite Several Offers by Penguins

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/sidney-crosby-delays-contract-despite-several-offers-by-penguins/ar-AA1q8GlH

As Sidney Crosby enters the final season of his 12-year, $104.4M contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins, fans eagerly await news on a potential extension. Eligible to sign a new deal as of July 1, 2024, many figured Crosby would have signed by now. However, the superstar has yet to commit to a new deal, all despite reports suggesting that the Penguins have presented him with multiple contract offers.

According to Elliotte Friedman on the “32 Thoughts” podcast, Crosby is still contemplating whether to commit to the Penguins for the next few years.

Friedman emphasized that Crosby’s hesitation isn’t about maximizing his earnings or whether he wants to play for a time besides the Penguins. The NHL insider noted it’s about the direction of the team. 

Pittsburgh is undergoing a retool, and Crosby is weighing whether he wants to spend the final years of his career on a team that may struggle to compete for the playoffs. Friedman explained, “Crosby is a guy who takes his time with decisions… He’s not being pressured by the Penguins, and they’ve given him multiple term offers to consider.”

What Will Crosby Do: Stay With or Leave the Penguins?

While this is taking longer than most would have hoped, Friedman believes Crosby will remain with the Penguins. For Crosby, there’s no rush. He’s not going to be swayed by any pressure to commit and he might want to see how the team fares as the season gets going. 

Some, like TSN’s Travis Yost, suggest that if the Penguins aren’t contending, Crosby could be traded at the deadline before re-signing with Pittsburgh next summer. The idea of it seems ludicrous, but stranger things have happened and franchise players have been leaving their teams in recent seasons. With the Penguins just missing the playoffs last season, Crosby’s decision will be crucial for their hopes of returning to contention.

NHL Rumor Roundup: Latest on the Penguins and Canucks

Sidney Crosby is a franchise staple in Pittsburgh, but could he be moved at the deadline if not re-signed? Plus, will the Canucks need to hunt for alternative goalie options or will Thatcher Demko and Arturs Silovs be good to go come training camp?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-rumor-roundup-latest-on-the-penguins-and-canucks

The lack of news regarding a contract extension for Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has some observers wondering about the 37-year-old center's future. It's even given rise to some trade speculation. 

TSN's Travis Yost considers a Crosby trade unlikely. Nevertheless, he thinks the hockey community is underestimating the possibility. 

Yost makes the case for moving Crosby at the 2025 trade deadline if the Penguins should struggle again. He believes the future Hall-of-Famer could fetch a significant return even as a playoff rental player that could accelerate the Penguins' rebuilding process. 

The Penguins currently carry just over $874K in cap space entering this season, but they can accrue more throughout the season if no one lands on LTIR. Yost felt that would enable them to move some of Crosby's remaining cap hit to facilitate a deadline deal. 

Crosby carries a full no-movement clause. Nevertheless, Yost suggests he might waive it to join a contender, pointing out that the Dallas Stars, Winnipeg Jets and Colorado Avalanche have the flexibility and the pedigree to contend with Crosby in their lineup. He also doesn't rule out the Vegas Golden Knights getting into the bidding given their history of making big moves near the trade deadline. 

Yost also proposed the possibility of Crosby returning to the Penguins as a UFA following such a trade. 

Trading Crosby does seem unlikely. For all we know, he and the Penguins are already close to a new deal that could be announced on the opening day of training camp. 

Still, the longer Crosby goes without a new deal, the more speculation about his future, including potential trade scenarios.

frnjltbx4nqmdo2xxpp5.jpg

Crosby ‘optimistic’ about signing new contract with Penguins

37-year-old captain entering final season of 12-year deal

https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-crosby-optimistic-about-new-contract-with-pittsburgh

LAS VEGAS -- Sidney Crosby says he is “optimistic” that a new contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins will come before their regular-season opener Oct. 9.

“I think something will get done,” the 37-year-old Penguins captain said at the NHL North American Player Media Tour on Monday. “It’s just a matter of, at my age, just trying to figure out, I think, how many years? It’s hard to project at this point. It’s kind of a year-to-year thing.

“It’s not easy to have a crystal ball and know how long you’re going to play for, but I’d like to think that something is going to get worked out here.”

Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson confirmed that the two sides are very close.

“As Sidney indicated today during the NHL media tour, we should be able to finalize the detail of an extension with the Penguins shortly,” he told NHL.com via text Monday.

Crosby is entering the final season of a 12-year, $104.4 million contract ($8.7 million average annual value) he signed with the Penguins on July 1, 2013. Asked about how long he’d like to play for, Crosby chuckled.

“As long as I possibly can,” he said. “I mean, I don’t think until you’re really in that position where you’re contemplating whether you’re going to play or not, well, I don’t think you really know until that point.

“Right now, I feel really good. My body feels good. I have the same passion as I did when I came in the League to play, so hopefully that’s something that can help me continue to play and play at a high level.”

Crosby did exactly that last season, with 94 points (42 goals, 52 assists) in 82 games to finish in a tie for 12th in the NHL scoring race. It was his highest goal total since he had 44 in 2016-17 when he led the Penguins to their second consecutive Stanley Cup championship.

The fact that the Penguins are in a rebuild has led to speculation that Crosby might want to head elsewhere, notably to the Colorado Avalanche where he could play with his close friend and fellow Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, native Nathan MacKinnon. He admits he’s heard some of that scuttlebutt but said his goal remains to help the Penguins regularly make the Stanley Cup Playoffs again after a two-season absence.

“How I approach it isn’t going to change,” he said. “I mean, I want to win every time I step onto the ice. And regardless of the words you want to use, whether it’s rebuild, retool, even if you want to use another word to describe it, or use the phrase ‘going young,’ that doesn’t change what I’m trying to do as a player and competing every night to win hockey games.”

To that end, he said he understands what general manager Kyle Dubas’ agenda is in an effort to get the Penguins younger and faster.

“Kyle’s got a job to do, and I respect that,” Crosby said. “I’ve been around for a long time. I know how it works. That’s how I look at it.

“At the same time, I want to win obviously every single night. Whether that’s being part of a young team and being in that state or coming off our Stanley Cup win in 2016 and wanting to do it again the next year, my mentality doesn’t change.

“I think we’ve had that as part of our culture for a long time. And I don’t think you just turn that off.”

Selected No. 1 by the Penguins in the 2005 NHL Draft, Crosby ranks 10th in NHL history with 1,596 points (592 goals, 1004 assists). Despite the team missing the postseason the past two seasons and winning just one round since winning the Cup seven years ago, it appears Crosby is intent on finishing his career with the Penguins, however long that might be.

“We’ve been close the past couple of years,” he said. “I think we all feel really good about that.

“We just want to be more consistent in a few areas. Hopefully that will get us into the playoffs.”

• 1 month later...