Game 39: Calgary Flames at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/6/24 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

We are mild underdogs (+100) with Calgary winning 4-3:

https://www.cappertek.com/article.asp?a=flames-vs-flyers-betting-odds-free-picks-and-predictions-1-6-2024-330147

Statistically, there isn't much separating the squads:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-phi/2024/01/06/2023020605

We lost 4-3 in the New Year's Eve game.  I wonder if we see a motivated Flyers squad trying to snap out of the funk, or one that plays a good opening 10 minutes and then kills itself with dump penalties and/or an incompetent PP?   The other question might be who is next in the Torts Bow Wow Section?  

22 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are mild underdogs (+100) with Calgary winning 4-3:

https://www.cappertek.com/article.asp?a=flames-vs-flyers-betting-odds-free-picks-and-predictions-1-6-2024-330147

Statistically, there isn't much separating the squads:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-phi/2024/01/06/2023020605

We lost 4-3 in the New Year's Eve game.  I wonder if we see a motivated Flyers squad trying to snap out of the funk, or one that plays a good opening 10 minutes and then kills itself with dump penalties and/or an incompetent PP?   The other question might be who is next in the Torts Bow Wow Section?  

#10. There has to be a better option in LV. He looks almost average in space. Gets pushed off the puck by a cool breeze.

If i may jump in....

Pre game....

Happy Birthday Mr. Snyder.

Bobby Clarke looks like he could still go

Lauren Hart, is she the flyers reg anthem singer ?

She sort of sucks, was all over the place.

1st period....

Hart making big saves early till the flyers got going.

Flames PP sucks, no finish went 0-2

Music maestro playing "man in the box" is always a great thing.

8-9 shot advantage for the flyers, but both hart and markstrom have in stellar thus far.

• Like 1

Looks like some blown assignments on defense by the Flyers.

Overcommitted to one side, two Flames players left all alone to Hart's right.

And what was THAT? 
Joel Farabee vs Elias Lindholm isn't exactly Rob Ray vs Mike Peluso, but those two certainly hammered each other after dropping the gloves...

This team has overachieved all season but think the clock has struck midnight. 

The goaltending has been great.

Team defense pretty good.

PK Incredible!!!!!!!

Offense and scoring remain the issue. Other than TK, there isn’t anyone who scores consistently. 

That being said the culture, standard or whatever they want to call it has grown exponentially. This team doesn’t give up and grinds for 60 minutes and plays for each other. Gone are the days of half ass efforts where the pack it in after failing behind in a game. 

Looking forward to see what else Jones and Briere have in mind for this team. 

• Good Post 1

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

This team has overachieved all season

despite the worst power play i have ever seen since i have been watching the Flyers...it would be to their advantage to decline the power play...blow it up continue the rebuild not the draft pick destroying campaign they are currently on...

2nd period...

Huberdeau pots one early, gets # 6 on the season, good for him, cause he's been absolute trash this year...

Frost evens it up with his # 6....maybe torts should sit him more often

I notice alot of Joel music played during stoppages....seems silly since he's a long island gent.

Weegar and coots trade goals to make it a 2-2 game.

Garbage hit by Greer, then Farabee gives Lindholm a smackdown....

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1

Most of todays NHL linesmen don't have a f&*King clue about hockey. A cheap shot like that should be left to play out. If they understood hockey they would stay out of the way and let the chicken s&*t Greer gets what's coming to him. Since the league and the department of so called player safety also doesn't get it justice needs to play out on the ice.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

3rd period...

Big save by Markstrom on coots early....

Sweet Shorty by TK, under the armpit on give the flyers the lead....

Zary with a bone head brain fart to give the flyers another PP....

Big scrum to end this game...

Flyers quietly put up over 40 shots in this one. 

Time for steelers football, meaningless game for the ravens

• Like 2

I only caught the 3rd period, so I can't say how the rest of the game went...

We were just talking about this other day: the Flyers had control of the play until they stopped the forecheck in order to fall back and clog the neutral zone at which point the Flames were able to generate some chances.

Sports are about controlling/ dictating the play – asserting your will. Passivity is death in sports.

Tennis is the ultimate example of this truth. I can't take watching the sport at all, but football is another great example: prevent defenses usually get shredded for one 10-15 yard gain after another. The offence easily marches the field, with the only salvation for the defence being not enough time for the offence to go the whole way (which is the gamble being made).

Hockey may not be quite at that level but it still fits the principle... The best teams are the ones that keep their foot on the throttle, but it's really hard to do.

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

leading by example....could he be the next to wear the C?????

GDMBuWcWsAAQTmk.jpg.5234630039ef82ac06b5b6acd0a433c2.jpg

It’s time for Torts to give out a few more letters for the sweaters.

At a minimum there should be a couple more A’s awarded and TK has earned at least that. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I caught the third. So, let's see if I get this straight. Some Flyer idiot gets too aggressive trying to jam a puck home. TK bails out said Asshole with a game-winning shorty. Meanwhile, we double the shot total of Calgary and have a whopping two goals to show for it, continuing our outshoot but underscore tradition. Am I glad for the win? Yep. But we need to get more scoring from Frost, Foerster, and others. Shorthanded miracles won't happen daily

Edited by Howie58

That game was entertaining as all get out.

Jacob Markstrom can through some leather when he's not stopping pucks.

I loved Farabee's day. Making Lindhlom answer for the careless play on York was great. 

@OccamsRazor

I like that Dan Hilferty glad hands with the boys the way the chairman did.

He's not in their space all the time but he's around and I think that's important. 

@Samifan I agree I think 14, 11 and 86 are stepping up as leaders.

Even old and broken down, 14 is still magic and he was in the midst of hostilities on the Greer mixer. 

Noah Hanifan, good player going to be a free agent, is he worth the Danny kicking the tires on?

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1