**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Not Khusnetsov (Kuznetsov wish to have him too), but Khusnutdinov. Gustavsson probably should be traded. Didn't show consistency even at 2024 World Championship in Czechia. He lost 5 goals in Sweden net when playing against a not superb Czechia team in semifinals (final score was 3:7 in that game). Actually Czechia team(winner of this tournament) as well as a not superb Switzerland team (silver medal) showed that any team capable to make miracles. Hope Johansson and Gaudreau will find other teams to play (do they have this chance in their contracts?), but not in the Wild team. We need a real Wild wild players and not a fake Cinderellas.

I don’t know if the Wild are going to trade Gustavsson. He had a poor season, so I’m not sure they’d get much for him. They may be better off keeping him and hoping he plays better and then trading him. Or maybe it’s worth it for the Wild to unload him for a pick or a prospect and gain the cap space. But they won’t get a top prospect or high draft pick for him. 

The Wild have Johansson for one more season. Maybe he’ll play better because he’s in a contract year. Kind of funny how players do that. 

The Wild are stuck with Gadreau for another four seasons. Hopefully he gets his act together because he’s pretty worthless if there isn’t a shoot out…

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 6:58 PM, IllaZilla said:

I don’t know if the Wild are going to trade Gustavsson. He had a poor season, so I’m not sure they’d get much for him. They may be better off keeping him and hoping he plays better and then trading him. Or maybe it’s worth it for the Wild to unload him for a pick or a prospect and gain the cap space. But they won’t get a top prospect or high draft pick for him. 

The Wild have Johansson for one more season. Maybe he’ll play better because he’s in a contract year. Kind of funny how players do that. 

The Wild are stuck with Gadreau for another four seasons. Hopefully he gets his act together because he’s pretty worthless if there isn’t a shoot out…

I agree with @IllaZilla, Gustavsson probably isn't going to get traded simply because there is more proven talent out there that is already being shopped (i.e. Linus Ullmark).  I think the Wild simply have to hope he turns his game around.  I also don't think they want Fleury or Wallstedt playing 40-50 games this year.  At the least...Gustavsson shows you he still has some game if the team is just ok...and he raises his value and we deal him at the deadline.  I just can't see teams wanting to give up much in a trade for a guy after a crappy year.  

As far as Johansson goes...exactly like @IllaZilla said, funny how that happens during a contract year.  IMO, that was like watching Johansson pee on Bill Guerin's shoes with his assertive performance at the World Championships.  Where was that all season?  Apparently his contract wasn't enough motivation to show up like that; but maybe that changes as another contract comes to an end.  

I also agree on Gaudreau.  No one is bailing the Wild out of that team contract as long as Dean Evason isn't a head coach somewhere.  He was Deans' guy...and until Dean can try to be that guy again...we're probably stuck hoping Freddy Gaudreau can be anything close to what he was 2 years ago.  

If no chance to get out for Gaudreau, then he should play at the 4th line and should get minimum minutes until he will start to play to the level of 2 years ago.

Regarding playoffs such a dramatic finish this season, I am glad that our former Wild player (Dmitry Kulikov) got a Stanley Cup and was involved (got an assist) in a winning goal for the final game. He had the best record in his career when played in our team (+/- +23) and entire Wild team played better/had best record in their history in that 2021-2022 year. No question, he was our warrior. And Kaprizov always had a nice protection when Kulikov was a part of our team. They still are pretty good friends. We need this type of players like Kulikov in our team as well as he was not expensive too. Actually Panthers  improved their team after adding Kulikov(at the beginning) and Tarasenko at the middle of 2023-2024 season. Interesting fact also, that only single Tarasenko among all players from 2 teams (Panthers and Oilers ) had a Stanley Cup title before. That finish showed also how important is a goalie's key role in a crucial game. But our Gustavsson was not able to show that role in a crucial semifinal game against Czechia(by losing 5 goals in his net) during the World Hockey Championship this year. Hope, for his improvement.

A couple of things I have seen recently about the Wild, take it or leave it; almost all from The Athletic but not all of it. Premature, no doubt, but they recently ranked a bunch of position groups across the league.

Defensemen: MN Wild. Ranked 16th. - The Wild are a testament to the importance of figuring out things at the top of the lineup. Jared Spurgeon still grades out incredibly well, Jonas Brodin is holding steady as a first-pair guy and Brock Faber showed major potential in his first full NHL season. They’re not the biggest names, and their games certainly aren’t flashy, but they’re still more than enough.

Minnesota’s issue, though, is the enormous gap in quality between those three and their other options. Bringing in another top-four left shot to play ahead of (or behind) Brodin would drop Jacob Middleton down to a more suitable spot in the lineup.

Wingers: MN Wild. Ranked #1 (whoa!) - 
The Wild can thank Sam Reinhart for their place atop this list. If he’s signed, there’s no question which team takes their place. Minnesota might be a bit of a surprise here, but the Wild are only one of a handful of teams with two franchise wingers. The model loves Kirill Kaprizov and Matt Boldy like they are its children, which gives Minnesota a very strong starting point.

Beyond those two, the team is set across the board with Mats Zuccarello as a first-liner, Ryan Hartmanas a second-liner and a pair of capable third-line wingers in Marcus Johansson and Marcus Foligno. That stability combined with the sheer volume of talent makes this a big strength for Minnesota.

Centermen: MN Wild. Ranked 17th. - For the longest time, Minnesota’s biggest issue has been down the middle. The Wild still aren’t where they need to be at center, but there’s finally some hope. Joel Eriksson Ek is a bonafide top-liner, and the emergence of Marco Rossi last season gives the team a viable No. 2.

Further growth from Rossi can dictate how high the Wild can climb, but he obviously has the talent to be special. Minnesota’s biggest need is for a third-line center behind those two. Frederick Gaudreau is a suboptimal choice for that role.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

A couple of things I have seen recently about the Wild, take it or leave it; almost all from The Athletic but not all of it. Premature, no doubt, but they recently ranked a bunch of position groups across the league.

Defensemen: MN Wild. Ranked 16th. - The Wild are a testament to the importance of figuring out things at the top of the lineup. Jared Spurgeon still grades out incredibly well, Jonas Brodin is holding steady as a first-pair guy and Brock Faber showed major potential in his first full NHL season. They’re not the biggest names, and their games certainly aren’t flashy, but they’re still more than enough.

Minnesota’s issue, though, is the enormous gap in quality between those three and their other options. Bringing in another top-four left shot to play ahead of (or behind) Brodin would drop Jacob Middleton down to a more suitable spot in the lineup.

Wingers: MN Wild. Ranked #1 (whoa!) - 
The Wild can thank Sam Reinhart for their place atop this list. If he’s signed, there’s no question which team takes their place. Minnesota might be a bit of a surprise here, but the Wild are only one of a handful of teams with two franchise wingers. The model loves Kirill Kaprizov and Matt Boldy like they are its children, which gives Minnesota a very strong starting point.

Beyond those two, the team is set across the board with Mats Zuccarello as a first-liner, Ryan Hartmanas a second-liner and a pair of capable third-line wingers in Marcus Johansson and Marcus Foligno. That stability combined with the sheer volume of talent makes this a big strength for Minnesota.

Centermen: MN Wild. Ranked 17th. - For the longest time, Minnesota’s biggest issue has been down the middle. The Wild still aren’t where they need to be at center, but there’s finally some hope. Joel Eriksson Ek is a bonafide top-liner, and the emergence of Marco Rossi last season gives the team a viable No. 2.

Further growth from Rossi can dictate how high the Wild can climb, but he obviously has the talent to be special. Minnesota’s biggest need is for a third-line center behind those two. Frederick Gaudreau is a suboptimal choice for that role.

Nice review. It seems  we have enormous recent interest to the Wild perspectives. One thousand  views of this thread in a last 24 hours.

I am still thinking how we can to attract Kaprizov to stay here longer. In my opinion,  he is merit to be a new Captain for our team like Barkov is for Florida Panthers team who was able to bring his team 2 times to the finals and once to win it.

This is just classic. Dallas buys out Suter; another team desperate enough to pay Suter to NOT play for them. Only the second player in NHL history to have his contract bought out TWICE! Woo Hoo!!!

• Haha 4

The Wild wingers being ranked #1 seems preposterous.  Kaprizov is a superstar, Boldy is a star...that disappears in big games.  The rest...Zuccarello as a 1st liner? C'mon.  

Spurgeon being still rated very high means no one has watched him that closely the last two years, which is partly due to the fact he's spent so much of it injured.  Even if Spurgeon comes back, I don't think it will be at a level from a few years ago.  You have Brodin, Faber...and then it kind of falls off a set of small to large cliffs.  Middleton, who is going to get a big 4-year deal which we will regret...is a reasonable player but he's also the kind of player you want to be able to replace with younger players.  Since we only seem to want to draft replacements for Spurgeon & Brodin...but not nearly as good versions...the prospect cupboard looks like its full of poor substitutes.  

• Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Calen Addison available.

What?  You mean the #mnwild weren't holding him back?  I thought he'd leave the Wild and we'd greatly regret it as he'd tear things up in San Jose?!?!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Math said:

Ryan Suter as well.

(I close the door behind me)

I wouldn't want Ryan Suter to be anywhere near this organization.  I hope that's the last we've seen of him.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Wild wingers being ranked #1 seems preposterous.  Kaprizov is a superstar, Boldy is a star...that disappears in big games.  The rest...Zuccarello as a 1st liner? C'mon.  

Spurgeon being still rated very high means no one has watched him that closely the last two years, which is partly due to the fact he's spent so much of it injured.  Even if Spurgeon comes back, I don't think it will be at a level from a few years ago.  You have Brodin, Faber...and then it kind of falls off a set of small to large cliffs.  Middleton, who is going to get a big 4-year deal which we will regret...is a reasonable player but he's also the kind of player you want to be able to replace with younger players.  Since we only seem to want to draft replacements for Spurgeon & Brodin...but not nearly as good versions...the prospect cupboard looks like its full of poor substitutes.  

I agree regarding Spurgeon. Too often injured ,smallish, oldish defensemen. Better to look for someone bigger , younger and stronger. But with the same talent as Spurgeon has.

Edited by Alexandron

56 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

This is just classic. Dallas buys out Suter; another team desperate enough to pay Suter to NOT play for them. Only the second player in NHL history to have his contract bought out TWICE! Woo Hoo!!!

I can't believe it. I think would better for him to be retired. He made enough money for his retirement. 

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Spurgeon being still rated very high means no one has watched him that closely the last two years, which is partly due to the fact he's spent so much of it injured.

Yeah, this is going off of Net Rating, by Dom Luszczyszyn, and not the eyeball test.

Predators as well as Central Division is getting more interesting. Predators signed recently 2 stars Stamkos and Marchessault in their team which means we are going to see and play against those stars more often. Probably and competition in our Division is going to raise up too. It seems kind of intriguing NHL summer off-season this year. So many interesting signs so far. Guentzel in Tampa, Tarasenko in Detroit....

On 6/27/2024 at 5:14 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wouldn't want Ryan Suter to be anywhere near this organization.  I hope that's the last we've seen of him.  

I agree 110%.

Having said that, I have a hypothetical question that I’ve always wondered about where he and Parise are concerned. What if the Wild had decided, for whatever reason, to bring one of them back. What are the CBA rules regarding that scenario? Is it even possible? What happens to the cap penalties if an organization was to do such a thing?

17 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

I agree 110%.

Having said that, I have a hypothetical question that I’ve always wondered about where he and Parise are concerned. What if the Wild had decided, for whatever reason, to bring one of them back. What are the CBA rules regarding that scenario? Is it even possible? What happens to the cap penalties if an organization was to do such a thing?

I don't think there would be anything from stopping them if they really wanted to but honestly...WHY?  Parise said he was done after this season with Colorado regardless of what happens.  As for Suter...I think the phone is going to stay pretty silent for him.  His 'reputation' is pretty well known throughout the league and I don't think anyone is really going to want to add an old guy like him who's likely to stir up trouble in your locker room.  

As far as cap penalties for bringing either or both back?  I'm not sure.  @IllaZilla might know.  

@TallyTigerShark @CreaseAndAssist I couldn’t find anything regarding bringing a bought out player back to eliminate cap penalties. 

But my best guess would be this:  to erase the penalties they’d probably have to reinstate the contract and the cap hit at the point in time where it was ended. It wouldn’t be prorated or anything so the team would have the rest of the contract and the cap hit. So I’m not sure there would be any benefit to bringing back the player. 

And that doesn’t even take into account if the player would even want to go back to the team that bought him out. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

@TallyTigerShark @CreaseAndAssist I couldn’t find anything regarding bringing a bought out player back to eliminate cap penalties. 

But my best guess would be this:  to erase the penalties they’d probably have to reinstate the contract and the cap hit at the point in time where it was ended. It wouldn’t be prorated or anything so the team would have the rest of the contract and the cap hit. So I’m not sure there would be any benefit to bringing back the player. 

And that doesn’t even take into account if the player would even want to go back to the team that bought him out. 

One would think that would be a tough sell for the player AND the team...unless Suter just wants to bilk the team out of even more money.  But my guess is that bridge is burned...and burned forever.  

Just to be clear, I was in no way suggesting the Wild should bring either back. We are better off without them since they have been gone. I was just wondering what the cap issues were and how it would work, if a team did decide to bring someone back.

11 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Just to be clear, I was in no way suggesting the Wild should bring either back. We are better off without them since they have been gone. I was just wondering what the cap issues were and how it would work, if a team did decide to bring someone back.

That's good for you to say, I'd rather not attempt an intervention.  At this point, I think #20 and #11 have given the #mnwild plenty of cap issues even if they didn't anticipate what those issues may have been when they signed them.  

I just hope the team doesn't sign Declan Chisholm to anything longer than 1-2 year deal at the most.  Anything longer than that is another mistake IMO.  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Nope. I 100% took it that way. Just a fun experiment in “What if…?” 😃

But it is interesting that the NHL doesn’t really have anything in that contingency. Unless the way they interpret things is that once that contract is bought out, that’s that. You can’t resurrect that contract because there isn’t a contract anymore. 

Edited by IllaZilla

According to the latest John Hynes interview, the plan for next season is for players to stay healthy and have better seasons. 

Start planning the parade route! 🙃

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

According to the latest John Hynes interview, the plan for next season is for players to stay healthy and have better seasons. 

Start planning the parade route! 🙃

Interesting reveal when he suggested players were not in shape enough to keep up with Kaprizov.  While that reflects well on Kaprizov, the rest...seems like an odd choice to reward them with more $$$, term and trade protection for guys who weren't fit enough to do the job.  

They know they can't afford to add any outside help unless you count young kids making the jump to the NHL.  Right now they are being put through their paces at prospect camp.  I saw some video of Stramel; looked like he moves well for a bigger player; kind of reminded me of Alex Tuch but that's just one isolated viewing and he was just skating in a drill so there's that.  

The closest thing I ever remember hearing about TallyTigerShark was the rule that doesn't allow you to play if you've been traded back to a team in the same season.  I think it happened to Dean McAmmond once.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

They know they can't afford to add any outside help unless you count young kids making the jump to the NHL.  Right

And even then their cap issues keep the young kids buried in the ahl because without LTIR they can’t afford to bring anyone with a higher ahl salary up. 

I often wonder if BG didn’t want to bottom out the season after getting rid of Suter/Parise, but the team kept winning. 
Was it BG that changed the plan or the owner?

Either way they missed a prime opportunity to bottom out and start over.