**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

19 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Are teams 🎯 targeting Brodin and Spurgeon? Crosschecks hard on hips, knees and shoulders.

I think Jared Spurgeon was slowing down last season.  His body is more fragile and being pint-sized probably hasn't helped.  That contract we gave him was an albatross as soon as they made it.  

Brodin is currently their best defender, but Brock Faber isn't far behind.  Brodin also has a penchant for getting hurt; not fragile...but his injuries usually bring about a free fall in the standings.  

The Killorn hit was 100% needless.  It wasn't a blindside hit, but he had no real reason to expect to be hit though.  The puck had gone away a while ago.  

However I'd say teams (especially Nashville) have tried to just resort to beating up Kaprizov.  Dallas too at times.  It's been a way to get Minnesota out of its game and worrying more about hits and being hit than playing the game for a while now.  

• Like 1

I think they want grit and toughness because their smallish players had better have grit or they will be completely pushed off the ice. 
With their lack of size they really are hard pressed to respond or better yet provide any kind of deterrent to that type of play. 

On 3/22/2024 at 8:01 PM, IllaZilla said:

Kind of wonder why the Wild are so insistent on “grit” and “toughness” when they never respond to hits like Killorn’s…

Brodin gets hit, and you kind of look over at Marcus Foligno and he looks back at you and goes...What?  Do you want me to do something?  And we're like...

images (12).jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, Icechipper said:

Jack Peart, 20, of St. Cloud State signs three year entry deal commencing next season. Grand Rapids defenseman forgoes senior year.

I have to admit this decision really seems odd.  He had a not-so-great junior year.  I know the Wild act like he's grown so much, but everyone else I heard thought he regressed a bit.  If your Peart why do it?  Wait a year, have a solid senior season...be a free agent and get a better opportunity.  

Just saw a post on a different forum that  I will post here because it's a good one.

If you could ask Bill Guerin 1 question,  what would it be?

3 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Just saw a post on a different forum that  I will post here because it's a good one.

If you could ask Bill Guerin 1 question,  what would it be?

What the f*** were you thinking signing Freddy Gadreau to a FIVE year deal? With a NTC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

What the f*** were you thinking signing Freddy Gadreau to a FIVE year deal? With a NTC?

Great question...

Why in the f%ck didn't you wait until closer to the trade deadline, before you decided extend #36, #17 and #38?  

Do you think Kirill Kaprizov is going to stick around long enough before this team gets out its own way? 

Seriously, though, I’d ask him how he thinks he can build a Cup contender when the team keeps doing the same thing over and over: flame out in the first round, get a 15-20 first round draft pick, and then have to bring in high priced free agents. 

I mean he was part of the Pittsburgh system. He saw how they built a Champion. They were terrible. But they ended up with Malkin, Crosby, MAF, and Letang. And a boatload of Stanley Cups. 

I want to know how he thinks getting a bunch of 15-20 picks are going to get him to the Cup. 

Thus endeth the Playoff streak. 

IMO this is the worst possible outcome for this season. No Playoffs and yet another 15-20 draft pick. And we get treated to the same graybeards next season because they all have NMC’s. 

This team is Groundhog Day in real life. Except it’s not funny. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Thus endeth the Playoff streak. 

IMO this is the worst possible outcome for this season. No Playoffs and yet another 15-20 draft pick. And we get treated to the same graybeards next season because they all have NMC’s. 

This team is Groundhog Day in real life. Except it’s not funny. 

The really sad part is we all saw this coming 12-15 games ago.

The difference between a 15-20 draft pick and a top 5 pick is about 10 wins.

Just saying. 

16 hours ago, Tomdog said:

The really sad part is we all saw this coming 12-15 games ago.

The difference between a 15-20 draft pick and a top 5 pick is about 10 wins.

Just saying. 

Yeah, but "Fight to the end..." and all that...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Hope he will get a chance this year to play for the Canadian Hockey team at the World Championship. If the team will win it, then he will be the 1st NHL goalie in the history to be a member of the Triple Gold Club. All he needs to have a gold at this tournament. No one goalie did this before.

That's kind of what was hinted at in the last Becoming Wild episode: The Final Push.  That will be interesting to see how the team evaluates itself.  My guess if they feel he has game they can probably make him a fairly small offer and he'll stick around as long as he's going to play.  

6 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

3 games for acting like a child.

And we wonder why the Wild are the most penalized team in the league. 

It is a time to bring Firstov here.

Nah, Firstov can stay and play in the AHL.  Seems like Liam Ohgren will be joining the Iowa Wild too.  

If the Wild want to see what they have in Adam Beckman; now would be the time to give him an audition in a Top 6 role or they should just admit they have given up on him.  Also would be nice to see Marat Khusnutdinov play with some better linemates too.  

As far as Marcus Foligno being shut down...oh well.  As for Hartman's suspension...not surprised.  I just hope it provides some late-season opportunities.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

If the Wild want to see what they have in Adam Beckman; now would be the time to give him an audition in a Top 6 role or they should just admit they have given up on him.  Also would be nice to see Marat Khusnutdinov play with some better linemates too.  

Completely agree with this.

I haven't seen much out of Beckman,  but maybe he's being used wrong, time to find out.

Marat should be tried with someone who can keep up with him. Saddling him with Gaudreau is a waste. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nah, Firstov can stay and play in the AHL.  Seems like Liam Ohgren will be joining the Iowa Wild too.  

As far as Marcus Foligno being shut down...oh well.  As for Hartman's suspension...not surprised.  I just hope it provides some late-season opportunities.  

Beckman had an opportunity to play for the big club 3 seasons in a row (total 19 games) And had only 3 assists. This season in Iowa his +/-  is - 14; last year he had +/- +5; and the season before +/- - 13. Personally for me he is more AHLer.

Firstov didn't have the opportunity to play even 1 game for the big club. Why we should not give him this chance? To play for example, with Rossi and Khusnutdinov? Sounds a nice line. 

• Like 1

I just think this whole season went as bad as it could go, from upper management to the on ice product. The pre-season extensions by Guerin were just stupid. That move cost the Wild plenty of building blocks for the future. I'm not sure what the urgency was in signing Foligno, Gadreau, Hartman, and Gustavsson to extensions before the season started. So Guerin's big moves this season were trading away third/fourth liners for picks he won't have to pay for two years, if he pays them at all.

You can't really predict all the injuries, but to have as many as they did and to key players at the same time really showed how little depth the Wild have. It also showed all this talk about toughness and grit is just that, talk. When Kaprizov or Ericksson-Ek are getting roughed up on the ice, how do the Wild respond? The patented Mikko Koivu Finnish Stare of Death. 

They pretty much can only go up next season...