Sutter Boys being shipped off...😫

thegx.ca

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Kylington could have done that, but in the meantime, the Flames signed Jake Bean, another left-handed puck rushing defenseman, to a 2-yr/$1.75M contract. The team already had their left side taken care of, had signed another guy who plays his style of his game, so even if Kylington decided to swing back to the Flames, the music had already stopped and there wasn't a chair for him.

Aside from Bean I don't see the others as better than Kylington...obviously  Calgary disagres but Bahl and Hanley aren't an upgrade over Kylington and this season gonna prove it...

16 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Aside from Bean I don't see the others as better than Kylington...obviously  Calgary disagres but Bahl and Hanley aren't an upgrade over Kylington and this season gonna prove it...

Left-side depth chart

----------------------

Weegar: elite two-way defenseman. Splendid at breaking up rushes, denying zone entries, etc. Good wheels, strong point shot.

Bean: smooth skating puck rusher.

Bahl: giant redwood who plays a very physical game and blocks shots.

Looking at the mix of what the Flames have:

-Kylington flat-out isn't a 1D, so he isn't good enough to play Weegar's minutes against the toughest competition.

-He would be a hopeful duplication of Bean's (with the caveat that he can't be relied upon to play a full year) minutes.

-Kylington would also be woefully mis-cast in the role that Kevin Bahl plays in the NHL. The Devils made him play against the toughest competition with the most defensize zone starts, and he was still +1 on a team that was a minus on the year. I'm surprised that you're not hopeful for a player like Kevin Bahl: he's mean and he blocks out the sun. Kylington's not equipped to play that kind of tough and physical game.

Once the Flames signed Bean, there was no future for Kylington in Calgary, even if he tried to circle back to them.

I really really hope that none of this is coming across as an Edmonton fan chirping Calgary. I *am* an Oilers fan, but have never hated the Flames and have never trolled their fans. I'm a strong believer that teams need a mix of players, with everything from skill, two-way ability, grit, toughness, etc, and I think that left-side depth chart I have above is a better mix than if it was Weegar, Bean, Kylington. Bahl really brings a different element that will keep opposition players looking out and sometimes bailing out from going into the corners.

My guess is that Bahl will be a fan favourite in Cowtown.

41 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Left-side depth chart

----------------------

Weegar: elite two-way defenseman. Splendid at breaking up rushes, denying zone entries, etc. Good wheels, strong point shot.

Bean: smooth skating puck rusher.

Bahl: giant redwood who plays a very physical game and blocks shots.

Looking at the mix of what the Flames have:

-Kylington flat-out isn't a 1D, so he isn't good enough to play Weegar's minutes against the toughest competition.

-He would be a hopeful duplication of Bean's (with the caveat that he can't be relied upon to play a full year) minutes.

-Kylington would also be woefully mis-cast in the role that Kevin Bahl plays in the NHL. The Devils made him play against the toughest competition with the most defensize zone starts, and he was still +1 on a team that was a minus on the year. I'm surprised that you're not hopeful for a player like Kevin Bahl: he's mean and he blocks out the sun. Kylington's not equipped to play that kind of tough and physical game.

Once the Flames signed Bean, there was no future for Kylington in Calgary, even if he tried to circle back to them.

I really really hope that none of this is coming across as an Edmonton fan chirping Calgary. I *am* an Oilers fan, but have never hated the Flames and have never trolled their fans. I'm a strong believer that teams need a mix of players, with everything from skill, two-way ability, grit, toughness, etc, and I think that left-side depth chart I have above is a better mix than if it was Weegar, Bean, Kylington. Bahl really brings a different element that will keep opposition players looking out and sometimes bailing out from going into the corners.

My guess is that Bahl will be a fan favourite in Cowtown.

Nah Bahl won't be fan fav he can't fight seen all 3 his fights from last year he sucks unless he can hit like BIG Z which he can't...he trending like Tyler Myers and Logan Stanley which I'm not a fan off but we'll see this season...

Why bother putting Weegar on left when he can stay on right if Kylington stayed...?

Bean/Weegar is first pair for sure so Kylington 2nd or 3rd over Bahl and Hanley is what I'd choose anyways...as it is now the bottom 4 without Kylington does not look good at all...

I just see it as a wasted opportunity to keep someone that players like Anderson/Backlund/etc all know and love for a low price because our loss is obviously Colorado gain...

4 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Nah Bahl won't be fan fav he can't fight seen all 3 his fights from last year he sucks unless he can hit like BIG Z which he can't...he trending like Tyler Myers and Logan Stanley which I'm not a fan off but we'll see this season...

Why bother putting Weegar on left when he can stay on right if Kylington stayed...?

Weegar is right-handed, but mostly plays the left side, and has for years. His most common defense partners have all been righties: Rasmus Andersson, Aaron Ekblad for his years in Florida, Petrovic, etc, etc, etc.

Bean/Weegar is first pair for sure so Kylington 2nd or 3rd over Bahl and Hanley is what I'd choose anyways...as it is now the bottom 4 without Kylington does not look good at all...

That would be a really big bump in opposition quality for Bean; a tall order. His coaches have gone out of their way to shelter him from elite competition, and he's mostly played middle to lower comp.

Jake Bean GoalsFor% against Elites:

image.png

GoalsFor% against Middle Comp:

image.png

GoalsFor% against Bottom Comp:

image.png

The best players torched Bean last year, but Columbus was dreadful, so that's important to keep in mind. He appears to be a very good 3rd pairing guy right now, and has had success against middle comp, so I think that seems to be where to slot him in: 2LD.

I just see it as a wasted opportunity to keep someone that players like Anderson/Backlund/etc all know and love for a low price because our loss is obviously Colorado gain...

Yeah, it might. Or, he might only play 35 games because of injuries or mental issues (which I'm not making fun of). He's always had the tools, but he's been out of the lineup more than he's been in it, so I wouldn't feel too comfortable putting down his numbers in ink rather than pencil.

I think he's certainly good enough to have kept around for another try, but if he wanted something more like $2.5-$3M, that would be a hard pass from me. The Avs certainly have a chance to get value from his contract, though.

21 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Weegar is right-handed, but mostly plays the left side, and has for years. His most common defense partners have all been righties: Rasmus Andersson, Aaron Ekblad for his years in Florida, Petrovic, etc, etc, etc.

That would be a really big bump in opposition quality for Bean; a tall order. His coaches have gone out of their way to shelter him from elite competition, and he's mostly played middle to lower comp.

Jake Bean GoalsFor% against Elites:

image.png

GoalsFor% against Middle Comp:

image.png

GoalsFor% against Bottom Comp:

image.png

The best players torched Bean last year, but Columbus was dreadful, so that's important to keep in mind. He appears to be a very good 3rd pairing guy right now, and has had success against middle comp, so I think that seems to be where to slot him in: 2LD.

Yeah, it might. Or, he might only play 35 games because of injuries or mental issues (which I'm not making fun of). He's always had the tools, but he's been out of the lineup more than he's been in it, so I wouldn't feel too comfortable putting down his numbers in ink rather than pencil.

I think he's certainly good enough to have kept around for another try, but if he wanted something more like $2.5-$3M, that would be a hard pass from me. The Avs certainly have a chance to get value from his contract, though.

Yeah Bean may not be 1st pairing material but he the best choice I see and he better step up he's game too...as for Weegar I know he can play left as he has in the past but I think he's far better used to be on his natural side and balance out the lines more but not overloading the first pair with Weegar/Anderson I'd rather see them split up so we have 2 top pairs instead of just one...

50 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Yeah Bean may not be 1st pairing material but he the best choice I see and he better step up he's game too...as for Weegar I know he can play left as he has in the past but I think he's far better used to be on his natural side and balance out the lines more but not overloading the first pair with Weegar/Anderson I'd rather see them split up so we have 2 top pairs instead of just one...

I'm also a *big* proponent of playing defensemen on their natural side. The only real advantage to playing on the opposite side is for shooting one-timers, and the rest is a disadvantage defensively.

21 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm also a *big* proponent of playing defensemen on their natural side. The only real advantage to playing on the opposite side is for shooting one-timers, and the rest is a disadvantage defensively.

Yeah like on power play and any extra man situations totally but I'd like to see what Weegar can do with a whole season on natural side instead of always forcing him into different situations with different partners etc I know he's versatile but I wanna try a consistent role with him...

• Like 1