Flyers Sign Garnett Hathaway

CoachX

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's up after next June so he is movable right before the new year if they see fit.

So if he plays well he could stay...otherwise yeah he might be gone too.

And he does have a 20 team "trade list" - they just need one of them to want a 32-year old goon making $1.75M for two more years...

Another Fletcher Find.

• Uggh... 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

And he does have a 20 team "trade list" - they just need one of them to want a 32-year old goon making $1.75M for two more years...

Another Fletcher Find.

Nope it is up June 30th. After that they can send him anywhere for his last 2 years.

• Like 1

And they don't have to trade ND he has been a good soldier and if they deem fit he can spend his last two years under contract somewhere else if they want.

His contract isn't that bad considering the service he provides...

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nope it is up June 30th. After that they can send him anywhere for his last 2 years.

Right but he has a 20 team list NOW.

And that still leaves the problem of someone wanting a then 33-year old goon for two years at $1.75M.

I'd trade him for a football sharpener.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I appreciate ND (😁) as a warrior. And agree or not with what his role is, the guy actually did what he was paid to do.

Jonesy agrees at :59;00 " I love Nick Delaurier".

The guy did take 2 fights on the same shift and won them both.

His presence may help these young guys play with the physicality and edge they'll need to win when it matters. 

His 1.75 .aav isn't ruining everything.

I don't mind his presence one bit either.

As for blocking a young guy?

Where?

Which of these prospects and young players have his type of 4th line game?

I said somewhere else, Maybe Zayde Wisdom? but that's about it, and I don't know where ZW is in his development. Another year in the A probably wouldn't hurt him. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Right but he has a 20 team list NOW.

And that still leaves the problem of someone wanting a then 33-year old goon for two years at $1.75M.

I'd trade him for a football sharpener.

Not worried about him he isn't a passenger he will earn his keep.

But after the upcoming season well we'll revisit if someone is interested but again they won't have to move him unless it benefits them actually the remainder of his contract - only if it is worth doing for the Flyer's benefit.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

His presence may help these young guys play with the physicality and edge they'll need to win when it matters. 

Did absolute wonders for the Sabres, Habs, Ducks, and Wild.

He's not "a problem" but he's also not "the solution" to anything.

The contract is egregious for being twice as long and almost twice as expensive as the contract he had just finished. With a limited NTC.

Simply unnecessary.

Any team playing Nic Deslauriers 80 games in a season is a bad team.

He's not going anywhere. Nobody would take him.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

He's not "a problem" but he's also not "the solution" to anything.

Exactly

I can't get too jacked up about it. Just like I'm not going to raise hell about Garnett Hathaway. 

They're "fine". Plus, their contracts are up just as the team should be turning into something fun and maybe pretty good. 

I can, however, enjoy watching Delauriers beat up two dudes in 4 minutes.

That was awesome. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I can, however, enjoy watching Delauriers beat up two dudes in 4 minutes.

That was awesome. 

And the team, trailing 2-1 at the time, would go on to trail 4-1 before ripping off three goals to force overtime and go on to lose 5-4.

It's a good "Torts" style catch a team napping in the third and grab a point loss, but it's still a loss.

I'll confess I had to look all that up because I was still not interested in watching them less than a month into the New Era.

It's not all his fault 😉 He just has the Fletcher Stink on him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

His contract isn't that bad considering the service he provides...

Woohoo! 

ONE of Fletchers contracts isn't that bad! 

I think it's a reason why people don't mind it...cause it's not as bad as most. It's still too long, but there were plenty worse.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

considering the service he provides...

The exact euphemism Holmgren said about Fletcher for the last three years.    The only thing that could explain how he lasted as long as he did (Fletcher, not Holmgren.  Holmgren probably lasts as long as his bike rides)

44 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

They would have to pay a 6th or 7th rd draft pick and retain 40% of the contract to trade ND to ANYBODY. 

I guess the easy answer is just keep him. At least they will be physical

59 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

They would have to pay a 6th or 7th rd draft pick and retain 40% of the contract to trade ND to ANYBODY. 

They don't have to trade him.

Only if a deal works to their advantage.

It's a rebuild by the time they are ready to do anything serious his contract will be up.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They don't have to trade him.

Only if a deal works to their advantage.

It's a rebuild by the time they are ready to do anything serious his contract will be up.

Oh, I know...was just stating the approximate price if they wanted to go that route. Seriously doubt Danny gives up assets to dump him...but it would take some type of asset loss. 

This is slightly comical to me that we're spending so much time on two "character guys" with 2 years left on their contracts.

They aren't being paid for too long or too much

There is no rule requiring the Flyers to resign them at the end of these deals. They can just go away.

They are not blocking the youths. They will play hard when their name is called. 

NBD

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is slightly comical to me that we're spending so much time on two "character guys" with 2 years left on their contracts.

There is no rule requiring the Flyers to resign them at the end of these deals. They can just go away.

They are not blocking the youths. They will play hard when their name is called. 

NBD

not much else to talk about

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

NBD

Dog days of summer...every portion of the team is inevitably discussed, whether it should be or not...lol. 

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

:PopcornSmiley2:

One was for potential in a big scoring winger that didn't work out. 

One was for an asshole of a human being on his 4th NHL team at the age of 25 who'd already been bought out once,  and who we'll be paying the next 2 years to NOT play for us.

I'll take potential and zero cost over douchebaggery and cap hits all day, every day. No brainer. 

The 2nd rounder for Deangelo? Still owing. That comes off us next year.

Those 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks Arizona got never played a game in the NHL. So the Flyers are still arguably better than one team at developing. :CelebratingSmiley:

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:41 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Like I said I like Hathaway just fine. It's just that signing him felt more like a step backwards instead of forwards, that's all. I do hope he's the last >30-year old Briere signs this summer.

at least we've moved on from Chuck's 'one step forward, two steps back' to "two steps forward, one step back"  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, mojo1917 said:

NBD

Right. The only two utes they'd be blocking are utes slotted for bottom 6.  Keep the utes in Lehigh longer to get some more top six experience. If they're not actually going to be top six, try to move the utes for another swing at it.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, mojo1917 said:

NBD

I think it's just a knee jerk reaction after 5 years where every single move blew up in our faces a lot of people are still running on Fletcher time. You just got so used to one bad move after the next, questioning everything he did because it was sooooo stoooopid, that it's hard to break the cycle. 

And it's summer.

Soooo, how about that # 21, is he somethin' else or what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2