2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#7 overall) is Matvei Michkov

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I'm beginning to think the business types might have had a hand in pairing Michkov with Bonk.  Michkov is high risk, high return.  On the other hand, Bonk is characterized as a a good all-arounder but having less upside than other D-men in the pool.  This seems like a "portfolio" approach seeking balance.  I wouldn't have gone for Michkov on a number of fronts, and believe there's at best a 50% chance he shows.  But I agree with others that it was a courageous choice that might not have come from prior management.  

Yes. It *sounds* to me like Michkov was a Briere pick, and Bonk was the Jones pick.  I'm fine if that was the deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I mean if he is able to play left wing, at the same level. A guy with that skill set should be able to do it, left wing and right wing are a similar, it’s not like asking him to play center or defense. Unfortunately the Flyers have no say with the Russian team, if he was with the Flyers we could have him try the left side in camp and at practice. Just trying to balance out the scoring , maybe Foerester can play left wing cause he’s lethal on the PP from the left side with the one timer. 

He's a left shot right wing but I would just leave him where he is at....

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 6:58 AM, pilldoc said:

He carries pucks from the perimeter into dangerous areas of the ice.

SOLD.....

Excited about this pick. I do not follow "prospects" but it seems like this dude has elite level talent? Too bad about the whole "Russia" thing... we should be square in the middle of WW3 by 2026 no?..... 😩

Edited by MaineFlyFan

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

What exactly is his downside.

Size about i can find really...i'm sure he has several areas to work on and get better at but as of now for his age...not many at all.

I say he is over in two years i just feel it...i would like a year in the AHL to get him use to the smaller ice...or at least half a year like Giroux started out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

What exactly is his downside.... his nationality?!?  Jeez....

Essentially he is committed to the KHL for the next 3 years and the geopolitical nature of what is happening in world today.

Any other draft year with no distractions of what is happening the world or his signing with the KHL and no Bedard, Michkov, IMO goes 1st overall in the draft.

• Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Size about i can find really...i'm sure he has several areas to work on and get better at but as of now for his age...not many at all.

I say he is over in two years i just feel it...i would like a year in the AHL to get him use to the smaller ice...or at least half a year like Giroux started out.

Agree with OR ...there was some scuttlebutt about his smaller nature, but he will grow in a few years ......   

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Agree with OR ...there was some scuttlebutt about his smaller nature, but he will grow in a few years ......   

From a Flyers perspective, I'd be most worried about injuries. Should they occur, will they be handled properly? Will he be rushed back to soon? Does St.Petersburg have Defibrillators available...do the road teams all have them? That kinda stuff. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

From a Flyers perspective, I'd be most worried about injuries.

From the little i have seen of this kid he has been small all his life and he has develop eyes in the back of the head so to speak he has great vision and ability to put the puck where ever he wants to avoid contact he is very elusive especially with the puck on his stick.

He doesn't have to look down to know where it is - it sticks to his stick like he has glue when he wants it...just been amazed at all i have found on him in the last 24 hours...i'm beside myself with excitement...almost a loss for words trying to envision him in the orange and black and folks getting out their chairs when he has the puick down low in the offensive zone...can't wait!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Essentially he is committed to the KHL for the next 3 years and the geopolitical nature of what is happening in world today.

Any other draft year with no distractions of what is happening the world or his signing with the KHL and no Bedard, Michkov, IMO goes 1st overall in the draft.

Easily.

Him and Bedard were neck and neck until the war started. I prefer Bedards overall game and he's bigger and stronger, but skill-wise they are both elite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

there was some scuttlebutt about his smaller nature

Drafted by the towering pylon that is Daniel Briere... I love it.

Size (to me) is becoming less and less of an issue in any sport.... cuz ya know, "someone might get hurt" thing that's going on. As long as he keeps his head up and enters those "dangerous zones" with his head on a swivel!!....

NO NOLAN PATRICK ****!!!

What I’m wondering about is this: With his skill, at his age, why would he sign a 3 year contract with the KHL  if he knew he would be drafted into the NHL?  Why 3 years?  That doesn’t make sense to me.  Was it family pressure or some other kind of outside influence?  Sounds like a military commitment, (can’t believe I typed that).  Sign for 1 year and see what happens.  If the NHL doesn’t work out right away, then play in the K until you’re ready.  I don’t know.

54 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

people be acting like he's this diminutive fraile little thing. 

he's 5'10" and 180 (okay 178)

That's not small. It's average.

He's taller than Brad Marchand

He weighs nearly as much as Brad Marchand and he's 18. 

Find something else to fret about. Size isn't an issue. 

Who's fretting about it? I'm stoked they got this kid. I just stated he was smaller and not as strong as Bedard. 

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

From a Flyers perspective, I'd be most worried about injuries. Should they occur, will they be handled properly? Will he be rushed back to soon? Does St.Petersburg have Defibrillators available...do the road teams all have them? That kinda stuff. 

Historically, for much of that you could be talking about the Flyers themselves.

If he gets cancer, will that be Clarke's fault?

• Haha 1

I haven't been this excited about a Flyers prospect since Lindros.   Question though,  thinking out loud.   They can't sign Michkov because he is signed with another team correct?  Maybe a stupid question.  Let's hope he doesn't piss off anyone in Russia over the next 3 years or he will end up in the Russian Navy.  lol.   Does anyone think the Flyers will try to buy out his contract with St Petersburg?    

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

I haven't been this excited about a Flyers prospect since Lindros.   Question though,  thinking out loud.   They can't sign Michkov because he is signed with another team correct?  Maybe a stupid question.  Let's hope he doesn't piss off anyone in Russia over the next 3 years or he will end up in the Russian Navy.  lol.   Does anyone think the Flyers will try to buy out his contract with St Petersburg?    

I remember a buy out situation happening in the past with a Russian team. Not sure who it was or what kinda money got exchanged, but there is some sort of precedent if my memory is correct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

From the little i have seen of this kid he has been small all his life and he has develop eyes in the back of the head so to speak he has great vision and ability to put the puck where ever he wants to avoid contact he is very elusive especially with the puck on his stick.

He doesn't have to look down to know where it is - it sticks to his stick like he has glue when he wants it...just been amazed at all i have found on him in the last 24 hours...i'm beside myself with excitement...almost a loss for words trying to envision him in the orange and black and folks getting out their chairs when he has the puick down low in the offensive zone...can't wait!

So, we got Youngblood?    Sweeet

😆