2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#7 overall) is Matvei Michkov

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Had season tickets and worked on ice crew for the Norfolk Admirals when they came to the AHL

Meant to add I went to two of their games with Jim back then first live games I had ever seen.

I remember Jim wearing a Pierre Turgeon jersey and Mogilny one the other game.

Man I feel old.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I will NEVER understand guys who fall in love with strippers. It never ends well. 

Me either I tried like hell to talk him out of it but Jim was a big time drinker and when he got drunk he was doing whatever came to his mind.

Michkov isn't the force Lindros was...but hopefully his career is a healthier one.

I know I have been watching hockey for going on 34 years but I don't think we will ever ever see a player like Eric Lindros.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 4

Michkov isn't the force Lindros was...but hopefully his career is a healthier one.

as long as he keeps his head up and doesn't invest in fast cars

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know I have been watching hockey for going on 34 years but I don't think we will ever ever see a player like Eric Lindros.

agree ....I remember watching a playoff game and that Legion of Doom line was one of the best.  They must have cycled the puck for a good 5-6 minutes playing keep away and then ...BOOM ...... score.  Was a thing of beauty.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man I feel old.

I remember the Flyers 35 game unbeaten streak back in the late 70's and watching Gretzky as a rookie ....yeah talk about feeling old.  (sigh)

• Like 1

I'm in the minority, but I hated Lindros. Hated everything about him. Hated how much he cost the franchise in terms of players, picks and cash to get him. Hated how he had done guys removed from the team (Recchi) because they didn't pass the puck to him enough or cost him bonuses. Hated how everything was always sometime else's fault when things didn't go right. Hated how EVERYTHING was about Eric and never the team.

Yeah, I'm definitely not an 88 supporter in the slightest. It's too bad that this franchise decided that Brind'Amour was the guy that had to be moved because he was everything that you wanted in a player. Yet, he was the guy who was always stuck with the DiMiaio's, the Klatt's, etc....

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Just now, pilldoc said:

as long as he keeps his head up and doesn't invest in fast cars

Hey I should have posted this when I first read this but I wasn't sure if this was true.

But someone said the Yotes not taking Michkov was part of their fulfillment of "future considerations" for the Ghost trade.

I swear I wish I could remember who said that can't remember if it was Elliott Friedman or who.

But anyways have you heard that or could it be true?

I had seen in many trades "for future considerations" many many times but was never sure what that entailed.

Just bringing it up to see if yall could help me find out if that was true or not.

Is that even possible? If so well that a good reason to move Ghost out west then.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

agree ....I remember watching a playoff game and that Legion of Doom line was one of the best.  They must have cycled the puck for a good 5-6 minutes playing keep away and then ...BOOM ...... score.  Was a thing of beauty.

Yes was amazed at watching them trying to get the puck from them.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm in the minority, but I hated Lindros. Hated everything about him. Hated how much he cost the franchise in terms of players, picks and cash to get him. Hated how he had done guys removed from the team (Recchi) because they didn't pass the puck to him enough or cost him bonuses. Hated how everything was always sometime else's fault when things didn't go right. Hated how EVERYTHING was about Eric and never the team.

Yeah, I'm definitely not an 88 supporter in the slightest. It's too bad that this franchise decided that Brind'Amour was the guy that had to be moved because he was everything that you wanted in a player. Yet, he was the guy who was always stuck with the DiMiaio's, the Klatt's, etc....

Then we can't be friends.

Just joking you know back then I could barely find a Flyer game on back in 1992 in South Carolina much stay in tuned to all that I guess it's best I didn't know all that but more likely wouldn't have changed however I felt about him.

The only thing that ever bothered me back then that I heard was about him sleeping with Rod's wife never knee if it was true but I loved Brindy back then so that upset me a little back then not knowing if it was true.

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I will NEVER understand guys who fall in love with strippers. It never ends well. 

Yep, they strip you of most of your belongings.

Every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep was stationed there from January 1991 till September 1992.

Went to a party at Teddy Riley's house in Vaginia Beach back then too.

Did all my Amphibious landing training at Littlecreek.

Quantico, VA from 1988-1992, used to slip down to VA Beach every chance i got. Used to ram atlantic ave like i was my kingdom.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Quantico, VA from 1988-1992, used to slip down to VA Beach every chance i got. Used to ram atlantic ave like i was my kingdom.

I don't miss them smoggy beaches.

I grew down near Murells Inlet close to Myrtle Beach in high school spent all my summers there.

VA Beach always was a disappointment to me.

Man I did so much parting down there.

I will never forget going to a Club across the street from ODU and I had a underground tape of Nirvana, only 2 songs on it.

It was Teen Spirit (forget the other song) and the DJ would not play it because no one had ever heard of them. I told him it will be a hit when it comes out.

My friends and the girls we were with begged him and he wouldn't play them.

Next month Teen Spirit is playing every damn where. True story.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I grew down near Murells Inlet close to Myrtle Beach in high school spent all my summers there.

No Kiddin.... I go to Pawleys Is. every year for a technical training thing for my work (hosted by USC out of Georgtown).

LOVE that part of So. Carolina!

I too grew up watching the L.O.D. Pretty much why I am a Flyers Fan. My Best friends Step-sister was dating John LeClair for a while when he was at UVM and I got to meet him when I was like 13...... (I grew up just so. of VT in Western MA.)

ANYWAY..... Picks look good. Someone wake me up in 3 years! ;)

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

17 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's too bad that this franchise decided that Brind'Amour was the guy that had to be moved because he was everything that you wanted in a player. Yet, he was the guy who was always stuck with the DiMiaio's, the Klatt's, etc....

Well, depending on what you choose to believe, Brindy demanded to be moved. Also, I get the love for the guy, but on no planet does any team trade a talent like Lindros for the sake of Brindamour. It's not even close

17 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Revisionist history here ....do the Flyers win a Cup with Hexy/Forsberg/Brindy and NO Lindros?

Who knows. Personally, I don't think so. Lots of moving parts that wouldn't have moved without the trade. I'll jist comment that when the trade was made, there were no Flyer fans upset about it. And I'd make that same trade over again, any day of the week

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The only thing that ever bothered me back then that I heard was about him sleeping with Rod's wife never knee if it was true but I loved Brindy back then so that upset me a little back then not knowing if it was true.

Doubt this sheds any light after all these years, but in the late 90s, a business group came together to build a new ice/roller rink in New Mexico. It preceeded a minor league team coming in board. Several years into the venture, Doug Gilmour was part of this group and came to visit.  I got to meet him and we chatted a bit. The Lindros issue came up. He told me that the rumor was true and the fight in the locker room was Brindy and Sandy McCarthy who jumped Eric

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But someone said the Yotes not taking Michkov was part of their fulfillment of "future considerations" for the Ghost trade

If this is true does Chuck get credit? OMG 🤮

18 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Did not know you used to live in Norfolk ..... I lived in Va Bch for 6 yrs. Used to work in Norfolk on E. Littlecreek Rd .....small world.

wow, really is a small world, I graduated high school in Va Beach in '92, my parents and brother still live there.

either of you ever play at Iceland, right off Va Beach Blvd near the Norfolk boarder?

1 minute ago, aziz said:

Iceland, right off Va Beach Blvd near the Norfolk boarder?

I didn't but I'm not proud to say I met a lot of women at ODU and may have some illegitimate children running around there some where - well they would be children now though.

😇

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This doesn't sound encouraging...

:PopcornSmiley2:

This isn't how I'm reading it.

The K doesn't want to honor an NHL deal? 

Well then, Comcast's oligarch money doesn't have to honor the Michkov Fischer-price contract with SKH St Petersburg .

I see that blade as cutting both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Well, depending on what you choose to believe, Brindy demanded to be moved. Also, I get the love for the guy, but on no planet does any team trade a talent like Lindros for the sake of Brindamour. It's not even close

Probably why I don't own a team because I would have without blinking.

I never liked Lindros.  I thought he was a douchebag before he was a Flyer and nothing after changed my mind.  Sure, I cheered because it was nice to see the Flyers be competitive again after the z Holmgren, Jay Snider years, but he was still a douchebag.

But I wouldn't have traded the package for him, and I would have seen what package I could have gotten for trading him instead of Brindy.

Unlike Bobble Head can't skate without looking at the puck, Brindy actually won something.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4