2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#7 overall) is Matvei Michkov

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

I haven't been this excited about a Flyers prospect since Lindros.   Question though,  thinking out loud.   They can't sign Michkov because he is signed with another team correct?  Maybe a stupid question.  Let's hope he doesn't piss off anyone in Russia over the next 3 years or he will end up in the Russian Navy.  lol.   Does anyone think the Flyers will try to buy out his contract with St Petersburg?    

Michkov isn't Russian - he's Belarusian. He owes no military time to anyone. 

• Like 2

I remember that time when Clarky said Flyers don't draft Russians as they are soft !!!! Just let take back Lindrous time if Clarky got Kovalchuk we would have a cup in beginning of 2000s ! And they drafted 2 Russians. 

That is because Briere is a neat type player in NHL. I betcha back in days like 1990s and around early 2000s Clarky would never trade for Briere . 

From THW...

Philadelphia Flyers

All Picks: Matvei Michkov, Oliver Bonk, Carson Bjarnason, Yegor Zavragin, Denver Barkey, Cole Knuble, Alex Ciernik, Carter Sotheran, Ryan MacPherson, Matto Mann

Landing Matvei Michkov at seventh overall could go down in Flyers history as one of their greatest ever draft picks, but Philadelphia added a ton of value in other areas of the draft as well. They added high upside goaltender Carson Bjarnason in the second round as well as Denver Barkey and Alex Ciernik, guys I had ranked significantly higher than they ultimately went. Carter Sotheran was their pick at 135 in the fifth round and I think he has a very real chance to be a good shut down defender in the NHL. I wouldn’t be shocked if Philadelphia ended up with four or five good NHLers from the 2023 Draft.

Grade: A+

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm looking for the article right now that said Michkov was Belarusian. I know he doesn't owe military time, so they can't hold him for that.

I read that a few days ago and looked it up. He's definitely Russian

Last night I exchanged posts with this guy Pavel on Facebook on a Flyers hockey site. He appears to be one of the only living dual Flyer/St.Petersburg fans alive...lol.

He was lamenting the yearly losses of talent St.Petersburg has suffered at the hands of the NHL. He mentioned Gusev, Dadonov, Barbanonov (sp?) among others. Hes not as upset with Mitchkov because its the Flyers (I know, crazy huh!) 

I asked the BIG question in our exchange, can the Flyers pay millions to secure an early release. He said "its possible". 

Reading between the lines, it appears where Mitchkov actually wants to play carries some weight. 

Interesting to get Pavel's perspective anyways, as unscientific as it was. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 2:07 PM, pilldoc said:

Yes ...he is the son of former Flyers player Mike Knuble

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Last night I exchanged posts with this guy Pavel on Facebook on a Flyers hockey site. He appears to be one of the only living dual Flyer/St.Petersburg fans alive...lol.

He was lamenting the yearly losses of talent St.Petersburg has suffered at the hands of the NHL. He mentioned Gusev, Dadonov, Barbanonov (sp?) among others. Hes not as upset with Mitchkov because its the Flyers (I know, crazy huh!) 

I asked the BIG question in our exchange, can the Flyers pay millions to secure an early release. He said "its possible". 

Reading between the lines, it appears where Mitchkov actually wants to play carries some weight. 

Interesting to get Pavel's perspective anyways, as unscientific as it was. 

Say hi Pavel from  Vadim. Nice to see guy from my hometown. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phlfly said:

You need to see a city. It's look anything like in world.  Only it can compare to Paris 

Is to for better as for Obama in social ist to when Giroux skate under square of to Lenin for Yoko.

• Haha 1