Flyers Report Card - Coaches / Front Office (What would you give them?)

pilldoc

Flyers Report Card - Coaches / Front Office (What would you give them?)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Coaching Staff (specifically Torts)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. The Front Office (do I really need to list the grades?) - for those so inclined I did add "D" but realistically no one will give A-C grades

• D
    • F

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Is it possible what he said was a "flub", or taken out of context. If so, then it means even less than nothing. Here's what I look at, if DB's words meant something, why haven't any of these "changes" occured?

def not a mistake or a flub he was very clear that he sees their role as “undetermined.” 

I don’t expect any resignations or exits until this summer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

New Flyers Employee Tells Reporter 'You Should Quit While You're Ahead, You Have No ******* Idea'

https://www.flyersinsider.com/New-Flyers-Employee-Tells-Reporter-You-Should-Quit-While-Youre-Ahead-You-Have-No-Fcking-Idea-229521

:DancingGrape:

Only the Flyers could turn the search for a new president into an entire shite show.

What do we expect when they've got a coach who's past his due date and still  thinks grinders are how you win calling all the shots. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

signed DesLauriers for FOUR years. Brilliant.

Signed Sanheim for EIGHT years. Brilliant.

Traded a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for free agent Tony Deangelo to help replace the lost offence when he gave away Ghost and a 2nd. Signed Deangelo for 2 years. Genius.

Unable to trade JVR at deadline, because...stupid.

Refuses to trade Seeler at deadline because he's an integral part of the team. Nick Seeler.

Fletcher made nothing but bad moves. Everything he touched was either doomed from the start or he should’ve known it would backfire. Firing him had to happen before anything could improve. Listing his mistakes is kinda pointless. It’s like asking why a 5th grader didn’t perform better on a college exam. We knew he was unqualified before he even got the job. What’s important (to me) is the Flyers finally realized that and got rid of him.

Nothing can erase his screwups but now, finally, the Flyers can move on. That’s why it was a hugely successful season, the best one out of the front office since the day they hired Hextall.

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Fletcher made nothing but bad moves. Everything he touched was either doomed from the start or he should’ve known it would backfire. Firing him had to happen before anything could improve. Listing his mistakes is kinda pointless. It’s like asking why a 5th grader didn’t perform better on a college exam. We knew he was unqualified before he even got the job. What’s important (to me) is the Flyers finally realized that and got rid of him.

Nothing can erase his screwups but now, finally, the Flyers can move on. That’s why it was a hugely successful season, the best one out of the front office since the day they hired Hextall.

Well it's not pointless when you're grading the front office on the season they just had...which was one of the worst in Flyer history.

It's great they finally fired the guy THEY hired and gave not only GM, but prez duties when he had left his previous org exactly how he left the Flyers...minus one fluky 5th round star...in shambles.

You can't just pretend the rest of it didn't happen because the idiots that be finally realized what the rest of the hockey world already knew. And they're STILL screwing things up with the way they're trying to find a new president.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

There is zero evidence to support this beyond one meaningless sentence by Danny Boy, yet you're going to latch on to this sentence like a life preserver on the titanic, because you want it to be true.

The fact that Danny Boy is an ex-Flyer and immediately the org is looking at ex-Flyers as President should weigh more in your analysis if you are being straight and not swayed by your emotions.

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

def not a mistake or a flub he was very clear that he sees their role as “undetermined.” 

I don’t expect any resignations or exits until this summer. 

And you know this, how? Are you and Danny Briere on speaking terms? Wait....are you Danny Briere? That would explain your certainty for sure. I hope your right.  But just remember, you are putting yourself out there. Come October if the Bobby Bunch is still be bopping around, this will come back up

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He was "spotted" Sidney Crosby and Evgeny Malkin with the Pens. In 8 seasons as GM he won one cup, with arguably 2 of the top 3 players in the league and what seemed like a league that really wanted them to win. 

Rutherford won 2 cups with that team in 3 years. I'm not going out on too big of a limb to guess without Crosby and Malkin, who he had nothing to do with acquiring, he wouldn't have won squat in Pittsburgh. 

He'll be "spotted" Kevin Hayes and Rasmus Ristolainen in Philly. 

You could do worse than Shero. Pretty sure you could do better. 

He built a pretty good team around them. 

Who is better? 

@CoachX

Homer and Clarke will always be bopping around the WFC. 

As they should be, they are emeritus Flyers, Clarke especially.

Hopefully they will be limited to glad handeling season ticket holders and not guiding the "decision makers".

You should trademark the Bobby Bunch that's funny

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He built a pretty good team around them. 

Who is better? 

Picture the team he built without Crosby and Malkin. Without Letang or Fleury. Cause that's the reality of what he built. 

Eric Tulsky off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Picture the team he built without Crosby and Malkin. Without Letang or Fleury. Cause that's the reality of what he built. 

As GM or POHO? 

He's been AGM in Carolina for a while, I don't think I see the POHO position as a logical step for him.

I think he ought to be the GM.

My idea of the POHO is a person with experience, a list of contacts and proven success. Not a slightly upgraded version of Briere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

Bobby Bunch:smallTM:

...hearby trademarked by CoachX.  All future uses available for one shot of bourbon......its ok, you can owe me

It’s the story of a player named Bobby…..

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

And you know this, how? Are you and Danny Briere on speaking terms?

Fair question did you see the presser? I’d say it was dead obvious he didn’t misspeak. If you have a sec it’s worth watching….might remove some of your doubt that he meant what he said: the Bobby Bunch won’t be calling the shots. God willing we’ve turned the page…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Fair question did you see the presser? I’d say it was dead obvious he didn’t misspeak. If you have a sec it’s worth watching….might remove some of your doubt that he meant what he said: the Bobby Bunch won’t be calling the shots. God willing we’ve turned the page…

I think we'll be able to tell when they hire the prez....if its more of the ol' boys club then....meet the new boss...same as the old boss...

• Like 2

I know there are people who were once Flyers who are now being considered for this role.

I think the only one I would say is from the Flyers " good old boys" club would be Dave Poulin ? maybe?

I always liked him, he was the captain I grew up with, he was clutch and awesome- how that translates 30 years later?

He would be the guy I think would benefit the most from the GOB network.

I wouldn't consider Mellanby nor Shero as nepo-bros from the Flyers organization, just nepo-bros from the world of hockey, which is pretty insular and specific.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That team still won a championship and would have most likely won more had Steckel's elbow and Hedman's mostly clean hit not derailed Crosby's career for 2 seasons.

The third line of Staal, Cooke and Kennedy was very effective, he had depth. 

He built a nice team.  

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I just listened to the entire thing.  Specifically, regarding the senior advisors, he says, "I don't know, it's been 48 hours."  That's your smoking gun?  The fact that he even had to bend the knee and speak to these drooling idiots says a lot more about the pecking order than Danny's mealy-mouthed sports speak.  But if you want to actually dig in to what he says, instead of speculate, here is what he says about the front office:

Re: is it a rebuild:  "yes, but that doesn't mean it's a fire sale.:

Re: changes to the front office:  "It's not about rocking the boat."

Re: Brent Flahr: "that is my expectation [that he is sticking around]"

So you'll have to forgive me if I don't see Danny's shrug as some huge sea change in the organization.

• Good Post 2

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know there are people who were once Flyers who are now being considered for this role.

I think the only one I would say is from the Flyers " good old boys" club would be Dave Poulin ? maybe?

I always liked him, he was the captain I grew up with, he was clutch and awesome- how that translates 30 years later?

He would be the guy I think would benefit the most from the GOB network.

I wouldn't consider Mellanby nor Shero as nepo-bros from the Flyers organization, just nepo-bros from the world of hockey, which is pretty insular and specific.

About the "Bobby Bunch:smallTM:", GOB club...... Its seems to me the obvious issue is, this has been the model this organization has followed since the glory days of the 70's. Anyone who does a small amount of research will see that the Flyers, as an organization, take care of former players. Its admirable from a humanity standpoint, and is probably why so many players loved coming to Philly. But from a hockey standpoint, or more specifically with fans as the priority, its failed. Just as a simple example, Ian Laperiere. Guy was a true on ice warrior. But his best days were with COL. He played here for a few years, and is now a career man with the organization. Are his skills and abilities worthy of the jobs he's held? I haven't seen it. So this makes me question whether or not the Flyers hire the best person for the position, or the person who we want to reward with a career after hockey. Hiring any past player indicates to me that its the latter. So, no thanks, move on, I don't care who it is. Its time to do something different. Unfortunately, I dont think they will

• Like 2

by my count, Bobby Bunch:smallTM:, has been used three times since being deemed official (by me of course). Quoting it counts. So thats three shots coming my way. My liver is going to feel like it was in one of thse 70's brawls we miss so much. It think I will name it "Rolfe"

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

That's your smoking gun?

I never said there was “smoking gun” evidence only that how Briere spoke about the advisors signals that major changes in management may be on the way. No more no less. A week later Dave Scott resigned. Then the story about how the senior advisors weren’t consulted…signals my friend, that’s all. 

You guys are right it may all fizzle into nothing and the new president of ops may turn out to be just another good ol’ boy, approved by Clarke, Holmgren etc. But in the history of Flyers GM changes this is the first time that I can recall the subject (of the SVPs’ role) even coming up. It’s certainly the first time a new GM gave even a hint of anything less than full-throated support…. for their legendary success in building championship teams.

Edited by GratefulFlyers