Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Gaze at the bottom row, left, of the photo my friend. :love:

And he's one more tidbit of information on the "terrible draft pick" that is Scott Laughton...last season he had ONE less point than the top 5 in his draft class combined!

Canada wins gold at men's world hockey championship | The Province

And? What has he done at the NHL level? He just had one of, if not the, best offensive seasons of his career, and that landed him 5th best on one of the worst Flyer teams ever. Yeah, that's one we will all remember, right up there with Roenicks OT winner against Tronno. This season was more of an anomaly than it was a norm. If he's here next season and builds on that, we can revisit this. And I never said he was a bad draft pick. I said he has been a worthless player who doesn't do much of anything, and isn't worthy of the love he gets in this forum

To be fair though, there have been a lot of posts recently with the opinion that they could take him or leave him

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Laughton is a Tortorella favourite though and that could be a problem with any team trying to acquire him. His value is worth more to the Flyers than any other club 

This has been the crux of my argument all along

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I said he has been a worthless player who doesn't do much of anything, and isn't worthy of the love he gets in this forum

The second part maybe, the first part - he's a serviceable NHL player who can play middle six but better suited to a bottom six role.

He's not at all irreplaceable, but he's hardly worthless. That's why you might get a valuable piece.

Keeping a 30 year old late first rounder over acquiring a late first rounder in a stocked draft for a rebuilding team just doesn't make sense.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And he's one more tidbit of information on the "terrible draft pick" that is Scott Laughton...last season he had ONE less point than the top 5 in his draft class combined!

For inquiring  minds:

image.png.63c2453387d4fc3d0bd28f7eaff73846.png

Yakupov (definition of draft bust) and Reinhart are out of hockey..well at least out of the NHL.

Ryan Murray:

image.png.115dbdde54949d1baddd38dd9498886b.png

Alex Galchenyuk:

image.png.323509a70a5e3a7e19305c3eb5006f4f.png

Morgan Reillly:

image.png.aff45275ac10d5b332b4f0026914b286.png

Scott Laughton:

image.png.3d3768855f0ee119d47068ac38f4c819.png

Fun Fact #2 ... Vasi was drafted at 19 right before Laughton

image.png.59b26a945094956792c96f440726ee9e.png

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Never said he was a terrible draft pick.

Said at 30 he's not needed for the rebuild.

And, no, winning the IIHF simply means you didn't make the NHL playoffs.

Again.

Not you rad.

And the Worlds don't mean a whole lot to me either. But he still won something.

• Like 1

Scott Laughton's roll on the team is the same as Keith Primeau's was to Hitchcock. Laughton's the guy who sets Tortorella's game plan with his teammates and leads on the ice as to what the head coach wants. Now, before anyone says "Primeau was the checking center and played a pivotal role", I'm not talking about the on-ice role. Completely different players in that aspect. But yes, Laughton is important to Tortorella and that's why it's going to take a really good package to move him. Those type of on ice coaches are valued around the league. Personally, I'm onboard with moving Laughton, but let's also not think he doesn't have value here. That's the reality of things. All coached have that 'one' guy.

• Good Post 1

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

All coached have that 'one' guy.

Kevin Hayes to Alain Vigneault.

Coaches may have that guy, but that doesn't mean it works.

Laughton obviously has value. I'm just saying his value is "a late first in this draft."

And I get that he's here to represent "Flyers hockey" I just don't particularly like the "Flyers hockey" he's represented.

• Like 3

Just now, radoran said:

Kevin Hayes to Alain Vigneault.

Coaches may have that guy, but that doesn't mean it works.

Laughton obviously has value. I'm just saying his value is "a late first in this draft."

And I get that he's here to represent "Flyers hockey" I just don't particularly like the "Flyers hockey" he's represented.

That's cool. I can dig that. Was it this draft though that someone offered a late 1st for Laughton? I remember when Schmuck signed Scott to the long term deal that there were first round picks offered and numb nuts decided that it was more important to keep him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I remember when Schmuck signed Scott to the long term deal that there were first round picks offered and numb nuts decided that it was more important to keep him.

That's cause when someone said Scott Laughton Fletcher heard Neal Broten.

What would come back i wonder??? 

Oilers Interested In Konecny?

Kurt Leavins, writing in the Edmonton Journal on Sunday, talked about an Oilers trade for Konecny.

“And a contact of mine with connections to the player reports that the Oilers are one of the teams that has reached out to ask about Travis Konecny,” Leavins wrote.

“There is lots to like about the speedy, versatile, competitive forward with lots of finish. Konecny has just one year left on a relatively economical $5.5m cap hit, and the London, Ontario native would probably not be averse to signing long-term North of the border.

“Konecny would be a true Top-6 prize for Edmonton. We shall see if there is any fire from that bit of smoke.”

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Was it this draft though that someone offered a late 1st for Laughton? I remember when Schmuck signed Scott to the long term deal that there were first round picks offered and numb nuts decided that it was more important to keep him.

If they got an offer of three for him and didn't take it then they're mad.

I don't believe every bad thing about Chuck because the proven stuff is bad enough 😁

Earlier in the thread there was talk of them turning down a late first for him.

I have come a long way on Laughton and used to be in CoachX's camp but he has show to be a competent NHL player and you've got to give him that.

I do question guys' drive that are signing long term with teams going nowhere.

Just smacks of not caring about losing.

I respect other opinions and can be proven wrong long term and I totally get "wanting to be part of the solution" and all, but he'll be entering his mid 30s and has the very real potential of blocking more talented players by the time the Flyers are looking to "compete."

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a trade might benefit all involved.

Of course I totally expect him to be in the Flyers Hall of Fame right next to Giroux.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's cool. I can dig that. Was it this draft though that someone offered a late 1st for Laughton? I remember when Schmuck signed Scott to the long term deal that there were first round picks offered and numb nuts decided that it was more important to keep him.

They said multiple teams have called, and offered a first round pick. A late first round pick in this draft is a win for the Flyers. We still have Coots and Atkinson to mentor the new guys on how to have successive 10 game losing streaks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd pull the trigger...

The thing that worries me with Robertson is that surgically repaired shoulder. Well, that and the Flyers medical staff (it took them how long to diagnose Cam Atkinson's neck injury). But if he gets a clean bill of health, I'd be down with that.

I wonder if Briere would also throw in someone like Laczynski or Allison into the trade. Tortorella has stated that this off-season is sitting by subtraction and you have to think that Laczynski and Allison will be on the chopping block. Their value is worthless, other than getting a contract off the books.

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Laczynski and Allison will be on the chopping block.

Sure free up a roster spot if you can get anything back for them.

Tanner would be gone first i think Wade is a keeper if for only more more year.

Neither are spring Chickens Tanner turns 27 and Wade turns 26 this coming year time to look at younger kids after this season.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure free up a roster spot if you can get anything back for them.

Tanner would be gone first i think Wade is a keeper if for only more more year.

Neither are spring Chickens Tanner turns 27 and Wade turns 26 this coming year time to look at younger kids after this season.

I think letting both go for the extra two contract spaces is suffice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

I said he has been a worthless player who doesn't do much of anything, and isn't worthy of the love he gets in this forum

I don’t know about this forum but Laughton sure seems to have the love and respect of his teammates and coaches. 

This is the first I’m hearing about team(s) offering a 1R pick for him. Personally I find it hard to believe, that he’d generate that much interest #1 and 2 that Briere would turn it down. If it’s true then Laughton must be even better than I thought! 😁

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Scott Laughton's roll on the team is the same as Keith Primeau's was to Hitchcock. Laughton's the guy who sets Tortorella's game plan with his teammates and leads on the ice as to what the head coach wants. Now, before anyone says "Primeau was the checking center and played a pivotal role", I'm not talking about the on-ice role. Completely different players in that aspect. But yes, Laughton is important to Tortorella and that's why it's going to take a really good package to move him. Those type of on ice coaches are valued around the league. Personally, I'm onboard with moving Laughton, but let's also not think he doesn't have value here. That's the reality of things. All coached have that 'one' guy.

Really? Scott Laughton = Keith Primeau?

No. Seriously?

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

They said multiple teams have called, and offered a first round pick. A late first round pick in this draft is a win for the Flyers. We still have Coots and Atkinson to mentor the new guys on how to have successive 10 game losing streaks.

I wouldn't let Laughton mentor my laundry

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don’t know about this forum but Laughton sure seems to have the love and respect of his teammates and coaches

Based on what evidence exactly?

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Based on what evidence exactly?

Damn. You had to ask… 🤣

Well the quotes are out there because I’ve read them. It could just be the usual PC stuff every teammate says. The one bit of evidence for the coaches’ respect is that he's trusted in every situation. Yes we’re talking about the Flyers but it still means something. As bad as they were they still tried to win games.

52 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Damn. You had to ask… 🤣

Well the quotes are out there because I’ve read them. It could just be the usual PC stuff every teammate says. The one bit of evidence for the coaches’ respect is that he's trusted in every situation. Yes we’re talking about the Flyers but it still means something. As bad as they were they still tried to win games.

I acknowledge that I can be an irritating pain in the arse. At this point the most logical thing to do is for me, and the rest of you, to agree to disagree. Or we can compromise and accept that I am right. I choose the latter of course :smileyandcomputer: