Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

The bold:   Yes, but I wouldn't expect a ton of prospects or even one high-end prospects for an overpriced maybe 3C.   He's still better on wing, but you're not getting a top prospect.   IMO he actually has more value on a rebuilding club like the Flyers than he does on a team looking to take the next step.  

the Hart part.  I don't think the Sabres are in the goalie market, and certainly not for a goalie with average stats and the last year before his RFA when they have Luukkonen and Levi--who is pretty good--waiting in the wings.   They're set.  I don't see them as a goalie buyer.   And certainly not for #13.

Not what I've read. They're actively pursuing Helleybuck, have talked about Sauros, and have possibly also considered Gibson. Levi is their future hope but they don't want to rush him and don't think much of Luukonen. If their attempted deals fail they will of course say they planned to go Levi Lukkonen/Comrie all along as GMs do. 

Hart and Laughton (throw in DesLauriers if they want him) for 2 first and a second. 

21 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Maybe Winnipeg if they move Du Bois

Yes I could see this.

Laughton was one of Hacktol's favs so I won't close the door on anything yet even if you can an expiring contract back I would listen they have to weapoonize this cap space one way or the other they don't need any free agents yet.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yes I could see this.

Laughton was one of Hacktol's favs so I won't close the door on anything yet even if you can an expiring contract back I would listen they have to weapoonize this cap space one way or the other they don't need any free agents yet.

Have you watched Seattle though? They don't play like his version of the Flyers did. He's changed his coaching and adapted to the league now.  I just don't see it but you never know. 

Winnipeg would seem the better fit imo. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I've come around on ol' Laughts, but I'd deal him in a heartbeat for assets in the rebuild.

So would I.

I just don't think he's a "needs to go" guy. There's a lineup of those in front of him.

Nor is he a "needs to keep". I just can't understand the hate for a guy who's top 5 in scoring and 10th in salary. Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Have you watched Seattle though? They don't play like his version of the Flyers did. He's changed his coaching and adapted to the league now.  I just don't see it but you never know. 

Winnipeg would seem the better fit imo. 

Laughton has solid speed and can play wing in a pinch he can play up tempo.

I watched them in the playoffs not the season so much.

He can still help them I think Hak can use him as a depth guy.

We'll see.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Laughton has solid speed and can play wing in a pinch he can play up tempo.

I watched them in the playoffs not the season so much.

He can still help them I think Hak can use him as a depth guy.

We'll see.

Well we will see. I think they upgrade their D and maybe get another goalie to go with Grubauer over adding forwards but anything's possible. I see multiple deals before the draft likely to happen for many teams. Dominos will fall as players move. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

So would I.

I just don't think he's a "needs to go" guy. There's a lineup of those in front of him.

Nor is he a "needs to keep". I just can't understand the hate for a guy who's top 5 in scoring and 10th in salary. Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

He is kind of a poster child for being content on a bad team where he's 5th in scoring.

Not "a problem" but not necessarily a solution either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope this isn't true if you get that offer you take it and move on...or i hope it is on the table still...

I just puked 🤮

• Haha 1

I find it amusing that Laughton is being lauded as "gritty"

Not sure where this myth came from. It's on par with the, "he sticks up for his teammates" fairy tale

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I find it amusing that Laughton is being lauded as "gritty"

Not sure where this myth came from. It's on par with the, "he sticks up for his teammates" fairy tale

Come on you're suppose to be helping us talk his value up and help them ship him out.

Think positive things for Scott as heads out to the next chapter in his life like Claude did.

You're not helping at all...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

Obviously Danny is popular in both Philly and Buffalo.  He made sure to keep a good reputation in both cities he made big impacts in.  I wish him luck, I must say I’m surprised by this.  I’m sure you know it’s risky.  Great players don’t always translate into great coach’s or GMs.   In any sport .  It’s kind of a bitter pill for Sabres and Flyers to see expansion Vegas hoist the Cup tomorrow night.  Oh, do any of you doubt it’s going to happen?  It will happen.  Accept it.  At least it won’t be Reinhart.  I actually thought he might wind up in Philly.  Again, I hope you all get through todays horrible event on I-95.  

Laughton is a Tortorella favourite though and that could be a problem with any team trying to acquire him. His value is worth more to the Flyers than any other club because of how much Tortorella likes him. Some team is going to have to overpay to get him.

I'm interested in seeing who makes a bid for Konecny. Apparently Edmonton has reached out about him, but I have to think teams like Carolina, Dallas and Colorado would be in on him. 

The good news is that there's no rush and Briere is playing a great long game with his remaining assets. He's playing it smart and it's good to see. I trust him with whatever he gets in return.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Best thing they can do is wait and see if his value can go up...

FyYaTWdWAAEDRsR.thumb.jpg.d311a04a79c636a37e2a52325929d9eb.jpg

Where did they conduct this survey? A Narcanon meeting?   I mean, Gibson? Really?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, Gibson? Really?

He only got 4% what you think it needs to be higher??

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Where did they conduct this survey?

Rick's basement.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

His value is worth more to the Flyers than any other club because of how much Tortorella likes him.

So a 30-year-old who hasn't achieved very much, is content with that, and is a favorite of a coach who has as many first round wins in the last nine years as the Flyers do is too valuable to trade for a late first in a stocked draft by a rebuilding team?

Got it.

Put your analyst on danger money, Danny.

:hocky:

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

So a 30-year-old who hasn't achieved very much, is content with that, and is a favorite of a coach who has as many first round wins in the last nine years as the Flyers do is too valuable to trade for a late first in a stocked draft by a rebuilding team?

Got it.

Put your analyst on danger money, Danny.

:hocky:

How dare you speak of my favorite player in this manner!

BLASPHEMY!

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

So a 30-year-old who hasn't achieved ANYTHING

FIFY :smileyandcomputer:

Gaze at the bottom row, left, of the photo my friend. :love:

And he's one more tidbit of information on the "terrible draft pick" that is Scott Laughton...last season he had ONE less point than the top 5 in his draft class combined!

Canada wins gold at men's world hockey championship | The Province

Edited by flyercanuck

Where did this "he's content" bit come from? Some remark Laughton made to the press? Was it like when Voracek said "nobody can go 100% every shift every game" or something like that, which the haters immediately pounced on to mean "I take pride in being lazy on the ice?"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He only got 4% what you think it needs to be higher?

No, but the fact he got higher that Hart.  I mean, he's a large part of Anaheim's problems, whereas Hart is arguably tanked by the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And he's one more tidbit of information on the "terrible draft pick" that is Scott Laughton

Never said he was a terrible draft pick.

Said at 30 he's not needed for the rebuild.

And, no, winning the IIHF simply means you didn't make the NHL playoffs.

Again.