Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok just to make us feel better after that.

Loved Dave Brown, but Domi was a friggin pitbull. A true mouth breathing cement head. Could yo imagine him AS a Flyer?

seriously, what is the market for TDA in the off season? Seems like keeping him until the deadline would raise his value, assuming he played well. But given his attitude, he would probably act like a little bytch til then.

I'd ask for a 2nd and settle for a 3rd.

32 thoughts came up with a great phrase on Briere that I think we can use as a nickname if he keeps making deals like this. 

Big Brass Balls Briere. 

So from now on feel free to refer to him as 4B or 3B Briere. 

I hope the plan is to walk away from Lemieux and Bellows.

They need to make room for some more kids i want Desnoyers Foerster and Brink on the Flyers next year.

Someone needs to go...free up the money...but more about space than cap space.

I feel Danny is going to be smart and at least weaponize the cap space towards the deadline well next season.

Purge get as young as you can let them learn on the job for the year.

There will be blood. :readytofight:

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

HNIC saying Briere's getting lots of interest in Laughton. How do people feel about moving him? 

Not my first choice to move, but wouldn't bother me if we got a good return. 

👋

I don't care if it bothers @CoachX - if there's a deal, he's gone.

:hocky:

• Haha 3

I've got a special bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked I'm saving for the Laughton relocation celebration. I'd share with everyone but I don't want to

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Whats not to like about a guy who has made underachieving an art form. You can't have enough above average muckers who are good in the room and stick up for their teammates once a season, on average

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Whats not to like about a guy who has made underachieving an art form. You can't have enough above average muckers who are good in the room and stick up for their teammates once a season, on average

Yet again...Laughton was the Flyers 5th leading scorer, and 10th highest paid. He'll play any position you ask him to. I really don't get the hate, at all. And I've never seen anyone say they love him either.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Laughton was the Flyers 5th leading scorer,

Someone had to be

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He'll play any position you ask him to.

So would I. Are there players of his skill set in other teams that won't?

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I really don't get the hate, at all

Career 8g, 11a, 19pts out of a first round pick. A minus player most seasons. Back when I watched games, you wouldn't hear his name called until halfway through the second period.

He's no Jon Sim

42 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Career 8g, 11a, 19pts out of a first round pick.

He had 18 g 25 a this year alone! 

There are PLENTY of 1st round picks that never even make the NHL. He was 20th overall, not 1st. He actually has more career points than the guy taken 1st overall in his draft. He has more points than half the guys taken before him in his draft. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:02 PM, SCFlyguy said:

I don't think you're getting anything for him unless he plays well leading up to the deadline.

Thats Danny B's conundrum. Is his value going to increase with Torts in the picture? Probably not. I think you risk everyone's worth with Torts around. The guy is a car bomb waiting to go off. I didn't watch enough to see if anyone got better last year. As much as people had a hate for Mike Keenan, everyone who played for him was better for it, even if they disliked him. Not sure if Torts brings that. 

46 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He had 18 g 25 a this year alone! 

There are PLENTY of 1st round picks that never even make the NHL. He was 20th overall, not 1st. He actually has more career points than the guy taken 1st overall in his draft. He has more points than half the guys taken before him in his draft. 

I've come around on ol' Laughts, but I'd deal him in a heartbeat for assets in the rebuild.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

I've got a special bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked I'm saving for the Laughton relocation celebration. I'd share with everyone but I don't want to

I hope this isn't true if you get that offer you take it and move on...or i hope it is on the table still...

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yet again...Laughton was the Flyers 5th leading scorer, and 10th highest paid. He'll play any position you ask him to. I really don't get the hate, at all. And I've never seen anyone say they love him either.

Personally I don't hate Laughton. I don't consider him overly valuable and definitely not essential, but I don't hate him. Don't want him as a piece of a core moving forward either though. 

Right now I only hate Hayes. 

I have disdain for Risto.

and I'd prefer DeAngelo gone but he's gone in a year regardless so maybe he's best to be held on to and dealt at the next deadline when teams seem to go crazy for D depth heading into the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seattle Kraken could use Scotty for some playoff grit...make it happen.

For the Jets 2nd they have in 2023 and Laffs 3rd in 2024 they can have him.

Don't see him as a fit for the kraken and what they are building. I watched them a fair bit this year and they have enough grit and play an up tempo game. He's too expensive for 4C which is where they'd want him. 

Sabres (again) could use a gritty 3C. I keep mentioning them because they have a LOT of draft capital and an overflowing prospect pool full of promising forwards. Hart AND Laughton in a big deal? Might make sense for both teams. 

Maybe Winnipeg if they move Du Bois. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Sabres (again) could use a gritty 3C. I keep mentioning them because they have a LOT of draft capital and an overflowing prospect pool full of promising forwards. Hart AND Laughton in a big deal? Might make sense for both teams. 

The bold:   Yes, but I wouldn't expect a ton of prospects or even one high-end prospects for an overpriced maybe 3C.   He's still better on wing, but you're not getting a top prospect.   IMO he actually has more value on a rebuilding club like the Flyers than he does on a team looking to take the next step.  

the Hart part.  I don't think the Sabres are in the goalie market, and certainly not for a goalie with average stats and the last year before his RFA when they have Luukkonen and Levi--who is pretty good--waiting in the wings.   They're set.  I don't see them as a goalie buyer.   And certainly not for #13.

• Like 1