Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, saw the after my post.  Just responded in another.

They could use right wing depth, but Terry produces very similarly but without the penalties.

I'd take Konecny over Terry but not enough for 2nd overall...a seemingly sure thing 

So Konecny, #7 and #22 isn't enough is what you're saying?

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

People are asking me questions I can't answer here i just brain storming 

Oh  I know. But kudos to you for hanging in there. It's worth the discussion and it's made for interesting back and forth for an evening.

Not trying to crap on your parade and definitely not trying to insult you. I just don't think the Ducks are a viable trading partner and don't think it's a good use of assets.  I don't have to be right and who knows how this plays out?

I'm not trying to devalue Konecny. I just don't think a slightly better RWer than what they have in Terry moves the needle on what is as close to a sure thing as you're going to get when talking about a draft pick prospect.  And with a team still licking its wounds over losing out on 1st overall (I would be. They're likely better than me).

It's not terrible, OR. I just don't think it gets it done but would also prefer to use the assets in a different way. It's not that I think it's absurd or anything.  

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Konecny, #7 and #22 isn't enough is what you're saying?

Yeah, I think. That combined with I'd rather a different approach and keep as many swings as possible. I don't want to trade either Konecny or Hart, honestly, but if I do i want them to net more swings in terms of picks and prospects, not just move up.

If I'm going to use them to move up, though, it would need to be the type of move you're advocating. Not just to #5 (you haven't argued that--or I haven't seen it).

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You could trade Hart, #7 and #22 for #2 pick i think if they would bite on that.

Fantilli looks like the real deal, but the Flyers picking #2 scares the crap out of me, based on the past 2 occurrences!! Not sure which way to go on this one. It is intriguing. 

22 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Fantilli looks like the real deal, but the Flyers picking #2 scares the crap out of me, based on the past 2 occurrences!! Not sure which way to go on this one. It is intriguing. 

That is why I was wanting to go get him.

But I guess we can always look back in 5 years and bitch about not being aggressive and going to get this kid.

We'll just hold onto our magic beans...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Maybe they can trade his rights to another team...

...maybe another team can get him to come over.

17 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Amen to that. Keep subtracting Danny your work has just begun...

I think so too and I was impressed by Ersson's couple starts as well - the bounce back he showed after getting shellacked in his first start was great to see. Still, it's an awfully small sample size.

I take this out of context to highlight why keeping Hart is important for the rebuild: because he is a known quantity.

Briere should concentrate on getting rid of Hayes and Ristolainen. Tell Montreal they can have Hart but they have to take those 2 clowns as well - ha!

Sure we wanna get rid of Hayes and Risto, but the problem is that it's much easier to trade players that another team actually wants, than overpaid stiffs that nobody wants. The returns on trading Konecny and Hart can be huge and lots of teams would want them. Trading Risto and Hayes would probably cost us assets. We most certainly have to eat some of the salary ,but hopefully Briere can somehow unload them. Since it's a rebuild, I would rather unload Sanheim since his contract is worse and he is probably more in demand than Risto. You have to keep a couple of veterans on the blueline even in a rebuild. So since we can say Sanheim and Risto both have bad contracts but Sanheims contract is worse,but he's the better player. So he may be easier to trade. 

59 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Sure we wanna get rid of Hayes and Risto, but the problem is that it's much easier to trade players that another team actually wants, than overpaid stiffs that nobody wants.

That is why you pick up salary to move them.

I'd pick up half of Hayes contract to get rid of him.

Let it ride out one more year with Risto unless someone wants him then i would explore moving him again next year in the offseason.

Sanheim i got nothing....thanks Chuck you douche...unless you want to package him and his BFF (TK) together in a blockbuster they're stuck with him...

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let it ride out one more year with Risto

Por que? Is there a reason to keep him? 

If Briere is willing to retain salary there should  be some interest, right? I don’t see the point in postponing the inevitable. Briere, Jones can’t possibly believe Ristolainen fits into their goal of getting younger and faster.

We know this will be a multi-year process but wouldn’t you like to shed the obvious dead weight sooner rather than later? In this first off-season of the rebuild I think moving out Ristolainen and Hayes should be priorities.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Por que? Is there a reason to keep him? 

If Briere is willing to retain salary there should  be some interest, right? I don’t see the point in postponing the inevitable. Briere, Jones can’t possibly believe Ristolainen fits into their goal of getting younger and faster.

We know this will be a multi-year process but wouldn’t you like to shed the obvious dead weight sooner rather than later? In this first off-season of the rebuild I think moving out Ristolainen and Hayes should be priorities.

If they have a chance they may.

I expect them to explore everything.

• Like 1

I get that this is just talk, but apart from wondering about this from the Flyers perspective, I think about it from the Ducks angle, too. Why would they be interested, in the beginning stages of a rebuild, in adding a pair of 25-year olds in exchange for the #2 overall? If I were them, it would take a lot more than Konecny and Hart to get me interested.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

55 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Why would they be interested, in the beginning stages of a rebuild, in adding a pair of 25-year olds in exchange for the #2 overall?

Did they hire Fletch?

:hocky:

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I get that this is just talk, but apart from wondering about this from the Flyers perspective, I think about it from the Ducks angle, too. Why would they be interested, in the beginning stages of a rebuild, in adding a pair of 25-year olds in exchange for the #2 overall? If I were them, it would take a lot more than Konecny and Hart to get me interested.

Completely!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

As I was discussing with @ruxpin the other evening, there is no way the Ducks only take #7/#22/TK for #2 overall.  It is a gross underpayment, especially as you pointed out, they too are in the beginning stages of a rebuilt.

IMHO, just to the the conversation starting it will take #7/#22/TK AND 2 prospects picking from Desnoyers / Foerster /Frost / Farabee / or Gautthier.  I doubt the Ducks would want Farabee with his $5 million cap hit for 5 more  years. So if I am the Ducks I would want #7/#22/TK and 2 of Desnoyers / Foerster / Frost / Gauthier just to get the conversation started for #2 overall.

In this case you are giving up 5 assets for 1 coming back for a (-)4 asset differential.  

Too steep IMHO to move up.  

• Like 1

They might have to build a statue of Danny before the season even starts if he clears all this trash in one offseason i ain't even playing right beside Doug and Nick!!!!!

C'mon Danny we have faith in ye.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

As I was discussing with @ruxpin the other evening, there is no way the Ducks only take #7/#22/TK for #2 overall.  It is a gross underpayment, especially as you pointed out, they too are in the beginning stages of a rebuilt.

IMHO, just to the the conversation starting it will take #7/#22/TK AND 2 prospects picking from Desnoyers / Foerster /Frost / Farabee / or Gautthier.  I doubt the Ducks would want Farabee with his $5 million cap hit for 5 more  years. So if I am the Ducks I would want #7/#22/TK and 2 of Desnoyers / Foerster / Frost / Gauthier just to get the conversation started for #2 overall.

In this case you are giving up 5 assets for 1 coming back for a (-)4 asset differential.  

Too steep IMHO to move up.  

If I'm doing 5 for 1, I better be getting Von Hayes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Wow! That was totally uncalled for. Why didn't you throw in Ivan DeJesus and kick my dog

REPORTED!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I remember that trade ..... that famous "five-for-one" trade was with the Indians, in exchange for Manny Trillo, George Vukovich, Jay Baller, Jerry Willard,  and Julio Franco.  

One of Hayes's finest moments came on June 11, 1985, when he became the first player in MLB history to hit two home runs in the first inning of a baseball game. After leading off the game with a home run off Tom Gorman, Hayes hit a grand slam later that inning off Calvin Schiraldi. The Phillies beat the Mets 26-7, the most single-game runs scored by a major league team in over 40 years.

Julio Franco went on to have a tremendous career.  Hayes had a good career but certainly not worth what the Phillies gave up for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I remember that trade ..... that famous "five-for-one" trade was with the Indians, in exchange for Manny Trillo, George Vukovich, Jay Baller, Jerry Willard,  and Julio Franco.  

One of Hayes's finest moments came on June 11, 1985, when he became the first player in MLB history to hit two home runs in the first inning of a baseball game. After leading off the game with a home run off Tom Gorman, Hayes hit a grand slam later that inning off Calvin Schiraldi. The Phillies beat the Mets 26-7, the most single-game runs scored by a major league team in over 40 years.

Julio Franco went on to have a tremendous career.  Hayes had a good career but certainly not worth what the Phillies gave up for him.

I saw that game and remember it clearly!

By far the best (and maybe only memorable) moment of his Phillies career.

• Like 1