Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

JVR - well obviously. But Scott Laughton? You don't like him that's fine but you don't really believe he's - to paraphrase - a paycheck player do you? Seriously??

Pretty much, yes. I think this guy would be content to ride out his years with Flyers doing nothing more than he has done already. He's found a nice little niche, he's comfortable, and regardless of team success, nothing changes for him. He plays well enough that they won't change his role. He doesn't ask for more than he's worth, and there isn't any other team breaking down the door to get him 

He's under contract til 32 yoa, and he'll probably sign another one or two years to stay. Then he will become a scout, coach or stick boy for the organization, and will be remembered for playing his whole career in Philly 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well honestly he was born in Arizona and raised there - so maybe just maybe before he gets to that point maybe they could actually trade him there in a few years before that takes place...they are always need new ways to spend to the cap and he would help.

Couturier moved to New Brunswick when he was 8 so I'd doubt he has ties to Arizona that he remembers....and let's all hope in a few years that team is playing somewhere that people actually care about hockey. Like Louisiana. 🤔

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Pretty much, yes. I think this guy would be content to ride out his years with Flyers doing nothing more than he has done already. He's found a nice little niche, he's comfortable, and regardless of team success, nothing changes for him. He plays well enough that they won't change his role. He doesn't ask for more than he's worth, and there isn't any other team breaking down the door to get him 

He's under contract til 32 yoa, and he'll probably sign another one or two years to stay. Then he will become a scout, coach or stick boy for the organization, and will be remembered for playing his whole career in Philly 

You say he’s “comfortable,” i.e complacent, uninvolved, basically fine with whatever happens with the Flyers. Maybe so but it’s hard to square that with the guy who plays the game every night. It just doesn’t fit with the kind of game he plays.

Obviously we’re seeing two different guys on the ice and I respect your opinion (if I’ve got it right). I like him so I see a hard working, 2-way 3rd liner, a better than average mucker who’s trusted by his coaches in all situations because he gives the same effort every shift. You dislike him so you see a dime-a-dozen bottom 9 guy who nobody will miss if he moves on. I think his teammates would miss him but I wouldn’t suggest he is irreplaceable. 

Either that or he’s a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde type who goes full tilt when he jumps over the boards and when he takes off his skates at the end of the night he couldn’t care less about the Flyers. I doubt that’s the case but you may be right. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Like Louisiana.

Exactly how is the South rising again??

WTF is going on.

Tampa with 3 damn Cups Carolina one going for a 2nd meanwhile i can't get the damn Flyers to a confernece finals? How about past the 2nd round...

...all we need now is Nashville to want to get to a Cup...Vegas??? :bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

With Dubas now in charge in Pen land maybe Danny boy can swing a trade with our rivals across the state.

With the Maple Leafs, Dubas was active on the trade market and he’s not going to change in Pittsburgh. More specifically, Penguins’ draft picks will be on the move. Since becoming GM in Toronto in the summer of 2018, the Dubas-led Leafs only drafted in the first round twice.

Perhaps the Pens 14th overall can be had in some way?

So do the Flyers going into next year with Nick Seeler (30) and Rasmus (28) as the Shepards to guide this team??

Ivan 26

Travis 27

Yegor  23

Cam 22

Attard 24

Ginning 23

Andrea 21

Or would it be smarter now to invest in say a Connor Clifton type to see if it would help only and only if they can move a Risto out.

I feel like a vet who somewhat knows the ropes is needed.

I don't want to send these kids onto the beach only to get mowed down like dogs that has to be brutal on ones confidence see Ivan on that.

I feel if you can get rid of TDA, Hayes in Risto it would really get the fan base back on board.

Guess after the draft and moves or lack of we'll know better.

But other than an older defenseman who can play wouldn't hurt. I don't think they need to add anything else. If they'd like a forward on a PTO i would listen. Depends on who it is.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel like a vet who somewhat knows the ropes is needed.

I don't want to send these kids onto the beach only to get mowed down like dogs that has to be brutal on ones confidence see Ivan on that

Any discussion about the Flyers’ blueline begins and ends with Provorov, meaning they have to figure out A) what they want from him and B) decide if he’s capable of providing it. Do they expect him to be their #1 D-man or are they (still) hoping to find him another Niskanen? Or are they more interested in trading him?

Provorov’s regression / stagnation is partly due to the poor quality of the roster but that doesn’t explain it all. There’s plenty of guys playing on bad teams who still manage to improve their own game every year. They don’t regress the way Provorov has.

The Flyers owe it to themselves (and Provorov) to help him get back on track. He’s got a ton of natural ability and unless it’s hopeless I’d love to see him be the Flyers #1 D-man while they rebuild.

• Like 3

Let's hope Danny is a better GM than Holmgren was...

Simon Gagne Feels Like Paul Holmgren Slapped Him in the Face

All summer, the Philadelphia Flyers kept hinting that they wanted to offer me a new contract and I even told Robert Sauvé, my agent, not to negotiate with other teams,” said Gagné. “We trusted them. We put all our eggs in one basket and we got caught. We never thought we’d be stuck in this situation at this time of the year…”

Gagné kept hoping to return with the Flyers up until recently. “When I heard [Tuesday] that they had given a contract to Dan Cleary, it was like a slap in the face. I’m disappointed. I knew that hockey was a business, but with all the positive discussions we had with the GM Paul Holmgren, I can’t believe I’m not back with them.”

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/09/simon-gagne-feels-like-paul-holmgren-slapped-him-in-the-face.html

🤦‍♂️

So, the Kings, who lacked goaltending give up on their #1 goalie prospect, and throw in a 28 yr old bottom pair dman. Flyers give away their top pairing dman. This is a deja vu Flyer trade. How is this the new Flyers? Looks a lot like the last 13 years Flyers. 

IF this is the start of the BITFU I am okay with it. Somehow I don't think it is. Provorov should have been worth much much more than a prospect and a has been. Has Danny B already drank the kool aid? 

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

So, the Kings, who lacked goaltending give up on their #1 goalie prospect, and throw in a 28 yr old bottom pair dman. Flyers give away their top pairing dman. This is a deja vu Flyer trade. How is this the new Flyers? Looks a lot like the last 13 years Flyers. 

IF this is the start of the BITFU I am okay with it. Somehow I don't think it is. Provorov should have been worth much much more than a prospect and a has been. Has Danny B already drank the kool aid? 

Sorry but I totally disagree here seems Chuck has you jaded.

A great trade for the Flyers and I don't they are nearly done.

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

This may have changed since you wrote this 

1 first, 2 second rounders, a goalie and prospects is not more of the same.

More of the same would have been Provorov, a 2nd this year, a third next year and salary retention for Marc Vlasic...whom we'd immediately extend for 4 years.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but I totally disagree here seems Chuck has you jaded.

A great trade for the Flyers and I don't they are nearly done.

I  learned this the hard way. Take some of the early responses with a grain because it was apparently originally reported that it was 1 (or 2 depending on source) second(s) and the goalie and a prospect.

I'm *thinking* that's the case here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I  learned this the hard way. Take some of the early responses with a grain because it was apparently originally reported that it was 1 (or 2 depending on source) second(s) and the goalie and a prospect.

With Peterson now in the fold makes me nervous about Carter Hart.

I'm not saying I want to definitely trade him I am afraid of this coming back to haunt them.

However an overwhelming return could sway my judgment quickly.

Well we wanted action and we got it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This may have changed since you wrote this 

1 first, 2 second rounders, a goalie and prospects is not more of the same.

More of the same would have been Provorov, a 2nd this year, a third next year and salary retention for Marc Vlasic...whom we'd immediately extend for 4 years.

After seeing the totality of the deal, I am more than good with it. The so called journalists who broke the story were more interested in Provy not wearing the pride jersey. The return is good.  The Flyers actually have some draft capital now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Food for worry...

😀