Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I really can't remember when the last time a team traded into the top 3.

I think that's where you have to go to get Carlsson.

Me either. But i am not up on my scouting to know if these players are even worth it.

But i do know the Flyers can not afford another first round bust so maybe it is best staying pat and taking the best 3 players available in the next two drafts.

Those guys won't even effect the team for a few years even...if not longer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Those picks could be the beginnings of a quality team core.

https://flyersnittygritty.com/the-flyers-should-trade-up-on-draft-night/

The options at seven are not as good as the options at four. Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, and Smith will all be long gone once the Flyers are on the clock at seven. They may have to end up going with whichever American center is available after the Coyotes pick. Or maybe the Coyotes decide to take Zach Benson leaving either one of Oliver Moore or Ryan Leonard for Philadelphia. In that case, with both centers and Dvorsky still available, would the Flyers consider moving back? They could, if they value all three the same. Should they? No. Either move up or stay put. In a draft with this much talent at the top, come away with the best player available. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I really can't remember when the last time a team traded into the top 3.

I tried googling it ....closest I got was:

2008: Maple Leafs acquire fifth overall pick from NY Islanders

After reaching the playoffs six years in a row prior to the 2004-05 lockout, the Maple Leafs had started their cap era tumble to terribleness with three straight playoff-less seasons and held the seventh overall pick in the 2008 draft.

This draft was heavy on defencemen at the top of the first round, though, and Toronto wanted to make sure one of them came to the organization. So then-GM Cliff Fletcher worked out a trade with the New York Islanders to move up two spots to No. 5, in exchange for picks 7, 68 and a second-rounder in 2009.

With Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian and Alex Pietrangelo already picked, three of the four top defencemen were off the board, so Toronto went with Luke Schenn.

“The top four defencemen are all special and we knew we had to act to get one of them,” Fletcher said at the time. “What became evident is that he has leadership skills. You won’t see him do too many end-to-end rushes but he’s a very good shutdown guy, very physical, makes a great first pass and has a good shot.”

Schenn moved right into the NHL and spent four seasons with Toronto before shipping him to Philadelphia for James van Riemsdyk, so in the end the deal worked in the Maple Leafs’ favour.

But although Schenn’s 708 games played still ranks third-most of any player in that draft, he’s a UFA this summer and his role has deteriorated over the years. In fact, at least four defencemen taken after Schenn in the first round seem like good bets to finish their careers with more games played when all is said and done: Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson, Jake Gardiner and John Carlson.

ok .... more searching ...

2002: Ruslan Fedotenko

The trade: The day before the draft, the Flyers sent Fedotenko and two second-round picks to the Lightning for the No. 4–overall pick.

2001: Alexei Yashin

The trade: After holding out for a full season and then grudgingly returning to play out a final year in Ottawa, Yashin was a sure thing to be dealt. That raised the question of whether the Senators could get anything approaching fair value for a star everyone knew they had to move. Spoiler alert: They did.

On the day of the draft, the Senators sent Yashin to the Islanders for the second-overall pick, plus winger Bill Muckalt and a gangly 24-year-old Slovakian defenceman.

The result: The Senators used the pick on Jason Spezza, who’d centre their top line for much of the next decade. Muckalt was a bust — he literally never scored a goal in Ottawa. But Yashin wasn’t all that much better in Long Island, signing a huge contract and then having one good year before regressing, then being bought out in 2007. On its own, Spezza-for-Yashin would stand as one of the most lopsided deals in NHL history.

But Spezza wasn’t even the best player in the deal. That gangly Slovakian turned out be a guy named Zdeno Chara, who slowly but surely developed into one of the best defencemen of his era.

1999: Daniel Sedin

The trade: In what probably stands as Brian Burke’s finest moment as an NHL GM, he made three separate deals in the hours leading up to the draft to position himself to get both Sedin twins. The first – and the one that qualifies for this list – saw him send Bryan McCabe and a future first to the Blackhawks for their fourth-overall pick.

From there, Burke traded the fourth and additional picks to the Lightning for the first-overall choice, then flipped that pick to the Thrashers to move down a spot to second. He already had the third pick, and with the Thrashers set on taking Patrik Stefan, Burke was able to bring both Sedins to Vancouver.

The result: The future first ended up being the 11th pick in 2000; the Blackhawks used it on Pavel Vorobiev, who was a bust. McCabe was a good defenceman for another decade, but the Sedins will probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

And the winner is…: The Canucks, by a mile. Say what you want about Burke’s various GM jobs, but the guy knew how to work a trade.

And there you have it .......I can't find anything else unless someone wants to do a deep dive internet search ......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

On the day of the draft, the Senators sent Yashin to the Islanders for the second-overall pick, plus winger Bill Muckalt and a gangly 24-year-old Slovakian defenceman.

Mike Millbury wants everyone to know that he's still available to run a hockey organization.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

More on the Sedin Trade(s)

Sedin Trades:

Vancouver GM Brian Burke was determined to draft Daniel and Henrik Sedin, after their performance at the 1999 IIHF World Championship in Oslo, Norway.

He began by complementing his existing third overall pick by trading defenseman Bryan McCabe and Vancouver's 1st-round pick in the 2000 Draft (used to select Pavel Vorobiev) to the Chicago Blackhawks for the fourth overall pick. Then he obtained the first overall pick from Tampa Bay, flipping Chicago's fourth overall pick — which the Lightning subsequently traded to the Rangers, who used it to draft Pavel Brendl — and two third-round selections. Vancouver and Atlanta then worked out a deal whereby Atlanta, who held the second overall selection, promised to select Patrik Stefan with the first overall pick, leaving both Sedins available to Vancouver at 2nd and 3rd.

Probably one of the finest moves in NHL History

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Brendl

The linchpin of the Lindros trade! :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Atlanta then worked out a deal whereby Atlanta, who held the second overall selection, promised to select Patrik Stefan with the first overall pick

Talk about one of the worst first overall picks...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

“The top four defencemen are all special and we knew we had to act to get one of them,” Fletcher said at the time.

HA sounds just like ol Chuck.

Wrong you don't give up all that for a top 4 defenseman.

You give up that for a too pair defenseman.

And they blew it.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man i miss the good ol hockey i fell in love with...

I hope Danny is the man.

Ol Eric loved hugging a Brind'amor

Edited by CoachX

36 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ol Eric loved hugging a Brind'amor

Best hockey of my life back then.

Game just seemed so much better.

Can't articulate why.

Just was.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Best hockey of my life back then.

Game just seemed so much better.

Can't articulate why.

Just was.

The 90s were the last gasp of old school hockey before the spectre of head injury took Scott Stevens' hits out of the game.

• Good Post 1

Certainly have to do better than the "won the trades" of years past...

...their return netted 114 total games played since.

Bob 545 regular season and 58 playoff games....sheesh talk about being bent over.

Thanks Homer!!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Don't worry.  It's not like Briere bragged about learning everything (not much) he learned about being a GM from Homer and Fletcher.

I mean, as a cautionary tale, that's not such a bad look...

"What Not To Do" - apprenticeship notes from Danny

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

Oh man, I don't want to think about Bobrovsky and the man scared of bears and the whole debacle of that time. Everyone's talked to death the speculation of how Homer kept a job after that one (those photos must be really really bad) and it's just the horror..........the horror.........

So this is a NEW era and let's focus on what's coming soon. Cutter Gauthier is a sniper. Kid can shoot the puck. I'm excited about him becoming a flyer. 

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Don't worry.  It's not like Briere bragged about learning everything (not much) he learned about being a GM from Homer and Fletcher.

FACT!

For any offended by my mockery of the Worlds, rejoice in celebrating Silver Medalist Germany and Bronze Medalist Latvia, both hockey powerhouses. The Canadian Plumbers won Gold, thanks to Sammy Blais' game winner in the 3rd.  Blais had a career year this season, with 9 g 11 a. Latvia won their first medal ever, beating the US for bronze.

One heck of a tourney. :CelebratingSmiley2::dancing::cheers:

:huh:

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

For any offended by my mockery of the Worlds, rejoice in celebrating Silver Medalist Germany and Bronze Medalist Latvia, both hockey powerhouses. The Canadian Plumbers won Gold, thanks to Sammy Blais' game winner in the 3rd.  Blais had a career year this season, with 9 g 11 a. Latvia won their first medal ever, beating the US for bronze.

If I didn't know you better, I'd guess that was sarcasm.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So what you're saying this was a worse loss than we thought on the surface!

Awesome.

23 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If I didn't know you better, I'd guess that was sarcasm.

Thoughts on these differing opinions?

Anyone please just used your post to ask rux.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Claude Giroux was great in the Worlds.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thoughts on these differing opinions?

Anyone please just used your post to ask rux.

You need both, but i think if i had the choice between great defense + average goalie vs. average offense + great goalie, I'd take the great defense.  But it better be great, and I want an above average offense to go with it 

At the top of his game, what did Carey Price win?   I actually always thought he was a bit overrated, but he was arguably better than Niemi, Vernon, or Osgood. Or Kuemper.

I really want to say "build goalie out."  Ideally both. But if I had to choose, then great defense and a goalie who will make the stops he's supposed to.

Carter Hart is probably actually that and not the star goalie.  As Flyers fans, we've been goalie starved for so long that "competent and can steal a game" looks like the second coming.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1