Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

My god WHAT is this obsession with Auston Matthews? Not only is it the wrong time to acquire a superstar (an overrated, overpriced star imho) but you’d actually consider giving up Carter Hart to get him? Plus another asset? I think the past 4+ years of Fletcher must’ve infected this board. 

The obsession is...simply speculation. 

There are media reports that Matthews may be available in a trade because...

Toronto has a cap crisis on the horizon; they have to pay Matthews a top 5 player, for his next contract .

They also have an immovable Johnny Pajamas contract and a big Marner contract.

Matthews maybe be in play and so why not talk about him?

Matthews would easily be the most skilled player for the Flyers since...

Lindros? 

If the idea is to make a splash, have a bona-fide top 10 NHL player for the next 8 years, why not kick it around. As has been said. A forward core of AM, Tip, TK, Gauthier,  and Cates is a decent start. 

Most people that I'm reading  are thinking this works only if the conditions are right.

WTF  else are we going to talk about? 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

WTF  else are we going to talk about?

I've no idea, but I hope we find it soon because a Matthews trade would need to come with it's own lawyer ready with an insanity plea.

Really wrong moment for Matthews and he comes up like a Fisher Price kid in the playoffs (and not the cool studly kind).

Absolutely nothing wrong with bantering it about on a message board. Like you said, what else are we going to talk about?  But Matthews would be an okay idea at the right time and a terrible idea with no upside and a lot of down in the current time.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They drafted him and he spurned them to sign with the Rangers so no i can not see that happening.

Lots has changed since then. Different people in charge there too. He might see it as a good opportunity at this point with Bedard coming and all. You never know. 

• Like 2

Yeah; there's nothing wrong with some idle Auston Matthews speculation on a board. For the Flyers, it's not going to happen, nor should it. Nothing wrong with talking about it, though.

• Like 2

There is a small small chance Cutter can turn into that #1 center.

If he could and it will take time well that could go a long way to helping in the rebuild.

Guess we'll see in the future what is in store...

I have to say hell no to this.....why would they???

- While negotiations STILL between Cole Caufield and the Montreal Canadiens.

- And the rumors in Philadelphia that Daniel Brière wants to HIT a HOMEMATE..

- By getting Caufield..

- All kinds of rumors are circulating on the web.

- A proposal caught our attention.

- Are you sending Cole Caufield to Philadelphia.

- For Cutter Gauthier and Carter Hart?

- Interesting...

“My father still speaks French fluently. For my part, I understand it more than I speak it. If I'm in the middle of a conversation, I can understand what's going on, but I hardly speak it."

“Friends of the family live in Montreal. I have been there a few times. It's a great city. Besides, it would be an honor to be drafted by the Canadiens, a team with such a rich history. Gauthier said just before being selected by Philadelphia.

"I had the opportunity to visit the team's facilities in Brossard as part of a clinic that several of the main prospects offered to young hockey players. An experience I loved."

“We were sitting in the Canadian's locker room. It was very cool. It was special to see all those names on the walls. Nick Suzuki was there. Jonathan Drouin and Cole Caufield too. They are very good guys.”

- So..just for FUN..

- A BLOCKBUSTER DEAL sending Cutter Gauthier and Carter Hart to Montreal for Cole Caufield.

- Who says YES?

- Other elements could be involved.

- Daniel Brière also LOVES the profile of Josh Anderson...the FAVORITE of his coach John Tortorella...

- Even if Caufield does not land in Philadelphia

- We bet that Daniel Brière and Kent Hughes will end up concluding a transaction.

- The two men are fearless.

- It could set off SPARKS in the trading market.

- To be continued...

Edited by OccamsRazor

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

sure turning a lot of heads in the IIHF tourney lately. I don’t know what the experts have him projected to be and of course the NHL is a good ways away from him now…but he’s got right kind of skills that should work well in the pros. 

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

sure turning a lot of heads in the IIHF tourney lately. I don’t know what the experts have him projected to be and of course the NHL is a good ways away from him now…but he’s got right kind of skills that should work well in the pros. 

Well i know the hockey experts will be here real soon to tell me there is no way he can be a center.

I'm not saying he can but if he could it could go a long way in helping turn it around quicker.

Kid has some very very good skill....good size with a hell of a good shot. But being a center in the NHL is not easy by any means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i know the hockey experts will be here real soon to tell me there is no way he can be a center.

I'm not saying he can but if he could it could go a long way in helping turn it around quicker.

Kid has some very very good skill....good size with a hell of a good shot. But being a center in the NHL is not easy by any means.

He absolutely can play center.

Boston College is a really great program, they'll coach him up in the pivot.

I'm already on board with liking the kid's drive.

Also Gauthier and Hart for Caufield?

they are ****** high.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

they are ****** high.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's looked pretty good in the worlds from the little bits I've seen. Bright future I think. Number one center is asking a lot. We shall see. The kid is definitely not a bust though. I don't know his ceiling, but I think his floor is Konecny level. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

they are ****** high.

16 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

He's looked pretty good in the worlds from the little bits I've seen. Bright future I think. Number one center is asking a lot. We shall see. The kid is definitely not a bust though. I don't know his ceiling, but I think his floor is Konecny level. 

After another year of school with 3 other kids who will go top 10 in this year's draft will let us know more where he stands.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

For the Flyers, it's not going to happen, nor should it.

This^^^^ all day long.

I agree, we have nothing better to do, so discussing it is fine. But picking 7th, and going for it would be such a Flyers move.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 

If we were anywhere near competing this would be the play. We're not. Did I mention we're picking 7th this year? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to say hell no to this.....why would they???

- While negotiations STILL between Cole Caufield and the Montreal Canadiens.

- And the rumors in Philadelphia that Daniel Brière wants to HIT a HOMEMATE..

- By getting Caufield..

- All kinds of rumors are circulating on the web.

- A proposal caught our attention.

- Are you sending Cole Caufield to Philadelphia.

- For Cutter Gauthier and Carter Hart?

- Interesting...

“My father still speaks French fluently. For my part, I understand it more than I speak it. If I'm in the middle of a conversation, I can understand what's going on, but I hardly speak it."

“Friends of the family live in Montreal. I have been there a few times. It's a great city. Besides, it would be an honor to be drafted by the Canadiens, a team with such a rich history. Gauthier said just before being selected by Philadelphia.

"I had the opportunity to visit the team's facilities in Brossard as part of a clinic that several of the main prospects offered to young hockey players. An experience I loved."

“We were sitting in the Canadian's locker room. It was very cool. It was special to see all those names on the walls. Nick Suzuki was there. Jonathan Drouin and Cole Caufield too. They are very good guys.”

- So..just for FUN..

- A BLOCKBUSTER DEAL sending Cutter Gauthier and Carter Hart to Montreal for Cole Caufield.

- Who says YES?

- Other elements could be involved.

- Daniel Brière also LOVES the profile of Josh Anderson...the FAVORITE of his coach John Tortorella...

- Even if Caufield does not land in Philadelphia

- We bet that Daniel Brière and Kent Hughes will end up concluding a transaction.

- The two men are fearless.

- It could set off SPARKS in the trading market.

- To be continued...

Please no. 

Oh right, Fletcher is gone...not happening.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

He's looked pretty good in the worlds 

I think the kids going to be a good one. As mentioned above...John LeClair is a nice comparison. 

As for the Worlds...

The top scorers are made up of plumbers, no names, has beens. The USAs top scorer is 5' 6" Rocco Grimaldi of the Rockford Icehogs. I'm assuming that's in the Bedrock Stoneage League with Fred Flintstone as his winger. Their 2nd leading scorer is TJ Tynan. I know, that's what I said. Canadas top scorer? None other than the highly esteemed MacKenzie Weegar who actually played in the NHL, defence, and had 31 points. 

The only team who ever seemed to care about the Worlds was Russia, and they're not in it.

Gauthier has 6 g 1 a in 6 games. That's great...except he has 3 g 1 a against France, who aren't much of a hockey nation. So 2 g 0 a in 5 games against lower level NHLers and AHL level players.  He's a kid, so it's not terrible by any means. It's just not earth shattering either.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If the idea is to make a splash, have a bona-fide top 10 NHL player for the next 8 years, why not kick it around.

I sincerely hope the Flyers won't do ANY "make a splash" trades until Hayes, Ristolainen and DeAngelo are gone. However long that takes is how long the Flyers should wait before going after "stars."

I understand building around high-end talent but the Flyers aren't there yet. A roster is like a garden and the Flyers' is choked right now by a couple big (expensive) weeds and decaying stumps. Until they're cleared out the cash crops have no chance. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Didn't know this.

HHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Edited by OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I understand building around high-end talent but the Flyers aren't there yet. A roster is like a garden and the Flyers' is choked right now by a couple big (expensive) weeds and decaying stumps. Until they're cleared out the cash crops have no chance. 

TDA is a red herring, he's got one year left. Ristolainen is an issue, but a not unreasonable buyout candidate if a trade doesn't develop.

Just suppose they can't actually move Hayes for three years.

Are you saying they can't do anything until then?

Suppose the "splash trade" involves Hayes, TDA, and/or Ristolainen?

Even a Hayes buyout gives you pair of $4.7M cap hits and then three years of $1.6M. Not unbearable in a "rebuild."

The team doesn't need a splash trade at this point, but they would be irresponsible to not keep an eye on everything that's available out there.

And that doesn't involve sending their goalie and their top prospect to Montreal for a freaking winger.

• Like 1

I'm truly confused, and that is a pretty easy feat.  It sounds like the consensus for the rebound is to not do anything to bring players in, keep everyone because they can't be moved, and just play with the current line up until all the dead weight dies or resigns elsewhere 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1