Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

wait and see is all we can do but I don't think it's such a bad thing that Jones/Briere have no experience in management (or precious little). Hilferty worries me a bit though... this is the new Big Boss and by his own admission he's "the last guy you should ask about hockey." Yikes... I realize his job isn't related to the roster but still...there wasn't anyone with pro hockey experience to lead the management team?

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

this is the new Big Boss and by his own admission he's "the last guy you should ask about hockey.

I s he though?? I think he could be one of the best.

Why?? Because he is a fan.

So if he likes the product on the ice more likely many of us will too.

With one caveat....is he a honest not going to sugar coat and blow smoke up our asses type fan?

We'll see...

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

why is so bad  to have rookies in the front office?

Oh, I dunno, maybe because they are ex-flyers, with no proven experience, and their hiring smacks of nepotism

On 5/14/2023 at 7:58 AM, flyercanuck said:

While ex-not good enough for us Flyers Bobrovsky Cousins and Gudas all we personally responsible of eliminating him and the Leafs.

Holmgren learned well from his Sleestak mentor/advisor, who traded patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison and a 3rd-round pick he traded away.

5 hours ago, tucson83 said:

why is so bad  to have rookies in the front office?

Because they blow past your data plan.

It wouldn't be so bad to have a rookie GM if you had a seasoned hockey contract guy as the President.   The president takes care of contracts and money and practice facility stuff, etc., and the rookie GM does his thing and also learns the business side from the experienced boss.

You could make an argument that the reverse is true.   Rookie president who has learned business elsewhere but maybe not hockey who is supported by a veteran GM who the rooking President can learn the hockey stripes from.

The danger in both being rookies at the same time is the same danger in any other business when both people at the top have no industry knowledge.

On the other hand, in this case both have hockey knowledge and both seem to have people skills.  If both hire or retain staff that have some of the tribal business knowledge and these two provide leadership and coherent and unified direction, it really is not the big deal some are making it out to be.   This, in theory, would be the same in the "any other business" mentioned above.  It just requires the rookies have the ability to listen, weigh that information, and lead.   The Flyers may be okay here.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

On the other hand, in this case both have hockey knowledge and both seem to have people skills.  If both hire or retain staff that have some of the tribal business knowledge and these two provide leadership and coherent and unified direction, it really is not the big deal some are making it out to be.   This, in theory, would be the same in the "any other business" mentioned above.  It just requires the rookies have the ability to listen, weigh that information, and lead.   The Flyers may be okay here.

thank you.

It's not like Hilferty hasn't been successful.

He spearheaded the successful Philly World cup bid.

Everything I hear from the media I listen to and read was saying the business side of the Flyers and the Hockey Ops side were at such odds, people were openly rooting for others in the same organization to fail.

That screams lack of leadership and lack of a cohesive plan to me.

Seems to me like Hilferty recognized this and made the hires to "not be like that'. 

If Jonesy and Lil' Paul McCartney can get everyone in that front office paddling in the same direction, it's a good start.

I think Jones will be good as a glad handler to the fans, I think for the near term he will be able to offer very good insight on players around the league and their standing with their clubs, I know he's seen good hockey teams.

Even though he has little front office experience he isn't an idiot and won't lock up Travis Sanhiem for 8 years.  He knows hockey, he can fake it 'till he makes it on the business side. I also think he will be able to tell Clarke and Homer to get out of his office in a nice way, should that become a "thing". 

If a person is a fan of the team, there's little to be done but watch what happens.

I don't have the bad feelings about these hires as many my fellow denizens.

Edited by mojo1917

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Holmgren learned well from his Sleestak mentor/advisor, who traded patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison and a 3rd-round pick he traded away.

OMG ... I remember that trade and many of us were blowing gaskets over that  .....

what a complete IDIOT .....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I s he though?? I think he could be one of the best.

Well I quoted him; it’s what he said about himself not me. But to be fair I guess his job description doesn’t include knowledge of the NHL. He did say he’s a fan of the Flyers, a “tenacious fan,” to quote him again. 

But in all seriousness I don’t care about Dan Hilferty or his qualifications. Whoever hired him evidently believes he’s the right man for the job. That’ll have to do…

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

OMG ... I remember that trade and many of us were blowing gaskets over that  .....

what a complete IDIOT .....

If it makes you feel better, try to focus on the John Carlson for Steve Eminger trade.  

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well I quoted him; it’s what he said about himself not me. But to be fair I guess his job description doesn’t include knowledge of the NHL. He did say he’s a fan of the Flyers, a “tenacious fan,” to quote him again. 

But in all seriousness I don’t care about Dan Hilferty or his qualifications. Whoever hired him evidently believes he’s the right man for the job. That’ll have to do…

I just want a guy who WON'T accept a **** product...they need to building quality and it needs to be a winner anything less is a failure and we are right back where we started more than a decade ago...

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If it makes you feel better, try to focus on the John Carlson for Steve Eminger trade.  

Don't worry we're in good hands...

No really trust me...

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:08 PM, OccamsRazor said:

they need to building quality and it needs to be a winner anything less is a failure

high quality if you please… indeed. But what does that mean to Briere and Jones these days? Tortorella’s a known quantity basically, over the years he’s shown what he demands as a coach. But the new GM and Prez…so far it’s been all platitudes and no specifics. That’s understandable at this stage, we’re only just starting the 3R of the playoffs, but I’m getting impatient for something concrete from the new GM..

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

high quality if you please… indeed. But what does that mean to Briere and Jones these days? Tortorella’s a known quantity basically, over the years he’s shown what he demands as a coach. But the new GM and Prez…so far it’s been all platitudes and no specifics. That’s understandable at this stage, we’re only just starting the 3R of the playoffs, but I’m getting impatient for something concrete from the new GM..

not sure what you are wanting (concrete). I'd like to see some news to, but I don't think anything can/will happen til the draft. KJ was recently asked and made comments about needing to land later round gems like Brayden Point. He really emphasized drafting good. I think we are on hold til then

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I don't think anything can/will happen til the draft. KJ was recently asked and made comments about needing to land later round gems like Brayden Point.

I don't think they will (can) do anything during the playoffs, but between the Cup and the draft there's all sort of opportunity.

That's where they can get a 6th for the negotiating rights to JVR. :hocky:

• Like 1

I think this management structure is different than anything we've seen before.

I don't think there will be any announced roster moves until all the teams are done playing.

Daniel's time with the Fletcher front office gave him some ideas of the places in the organization he'd like to either beef up or pare down.

He seems to have an idea of which groups are doing well and which have opportunities for improvement. 

Both Daniel and Keith have said they do not expect the team to make the playoffs next year. 

They both said they expect the team to get younger and faster and hopefully more skilled. 

They put any success on the ice resulting from the players developing ahead of schedule. 

Both guys said they expect many changes to the front office and its structure as well as to the team on the ice.

The introductory press conference was held at the WFG, with all 5 of the heavy hitters in attendance and available. Including Val Camillo.

I think this group is starting off well.

I think they are trying to make themselves relevant. The last group didn't seem to care that no one else in Philadelphia cared about the Flyers either... so much so they got booed out of a season ticket holder event. 

These guys are available (so far) They put a curse word in the new team "statement" I mean it's just ass but still, when have we seen that?

My curiosity is piqued. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's where they can get a 6th for the negotiating rights to JVR.

Hope you are right about this happening. I would take that as a huge step in the right direction

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Daniel's time with the Fletcher front office gave him some ideas of the places in the organization he'd like to either beef up or pare down.

Thanks. You just shot his credibility right in the Ass :lookssad:

Edited by CoachX
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

Thanks. You just shot his credibility right in the Ass :lookssad:

I don't know that I'm connecting with your meaning.

He got to see first-hand the parts that were not working, how does that hurt his credibility?

• Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They put a curse word in the new team "statement" I mean it's just ass but still, when have we seen that?

see my post above. I am now qualified to run something in the Flyers front office. Maybe the the distribution of liquids in undisclosed bottles standing int he corner of KJs office

Just now, mojo1917 said:

I don't know that I'm connecting with your meaning.

He got to see first-hand the parts that were not working, how does that hurt his credibility?

I was being funny, at least to myself.  I was implying, anything DB got/does that is related to CF will be all Fletched up. So he has no hope moving forward

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Hope you are right about this happening. I would take that as a huge step in the right direction

Watch, Danny will pull some bull crap move and say there was no interest.

Same ol' same ol'...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

high quality if you please… indeed. But what does that mean to Briere and Jones these days?

Did Briere win a Cup??? Ever?? Did Jones???? So they still have virgin lust. It will do.

Well then that is all need to know.

Danny was very good in that 2010 playoff run they deserved better goaltending.

And yes i know none of that insures he does anything good as a GM.

But i just trust him more than Chuck.

And well nothing else we can do but hope he can fulfill Snider's dream..

..to bring a Cup back to Philly.